Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Teamzero86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ended up returning the front Magura brake and ordering 2 rear Magura brakes. Regardless of what can be done to modify the front brake caliper to fit, you are messing with the braking system that you depend on when you need to stop. So from the advise of a friend, I returned my front brake and set up my Shiv to the specs of the manufacturer that way the warranties won't be voided.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [mancala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sent mine in last week and it was epoxied vs replaced.

---------
Specialized Shiv
Scott Addict
Niner Jet 9
Niner RLT
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jmeitz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that's unfortunate I was hoping to get the new design. What was the turn around time?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [mancala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mancala wrote:
Well that's unfortunate I was hoping to get the new design. What was the turn around time?

about two weeks from shipped to received back. that included thanksgiving holiday. I was really hoping for the new frame as well.. hopefully the epoxy holds.

---------
Specialized Shiv
Scott Addict
Niner Jet 9
Niner RLT
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ChiroCowboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChiroCowboy wrote:
MITaerobike wrote:
Teamzero86 wrote:
Hey Mark, I too have a 2013 comp. If I want to put the RT6 brakes on it, I need to get the front and rear adapter you listed above from specialized? And that set of four bolts only accommodate the rear brake though? So I have to order two rear magura brakes??? Confused

You will need:

From Specialized:
S140500008
BLT MY14 SHIV MAGURA BOLTS FOR BRAKE ADAPTERS (SET OF 4)
S140700010
BRK MY14 SHIV MAGURA FRONT BRAKE ADAPTER (WITHOUT BOLTS)
S140700011
BRK MY14 SHIV MAGURA REAR BRAKE ADAPTERS (WITHOUT BOLTS)

From Magura:
-2x rear RT8TT or RT6TT Brake calipers, hoses, and levers

Mark

Ballpark $ on the hardware?

CC

Any word on this, Mark? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jmeitz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like you were correct, I'm getting the wonderful epox fix. I'm less than thrilled with that, even less happy that there is a labor cost to me. I was offered a crash replacement of $1800, had they had 2013 frame at a discounted price I might have taken it.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just picked up my 2014 Shiv Pro, and I was curious if there were any known issues with the Magura RT6TT brakes and the Roval CL60 wheels. My bike shop said there were issues with the brakes rubbing the rims and recommended that I race with the brake quick releases open. This can't possibly be normal. Admittedly, I don't have a ton of first-hand experience yet since I just picked up the bike yesterday, but I did notice something with it being on the trainer for a few minutes last night.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [krez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read that the width of the magura brakes can be widen thru a screw. But also that if the wheels require a larger gap, then you can shave/grind the brake pads for the remaining difference to achieve the width you need to fit your wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
krez wrote:
I just picked up my 2014 Shiv Pro, and I was curious if there were any known issues with the Magura RT6TT brakes and the Roval CL60 wheels. My bike shop said there were issues with the brakes rubbing the rims and recommended that I race with the brake quick releases open. This can't possibly be normal. Admittedly, I don't have a ton of first-hand experience yet since I just picked up the bike yesterday, but I did notice something with it being on the trainer for a few minutes last night.

The brakes have an awesome width adjustment feature - use a 2.5mm in the end of the brake lever to thread out a bit and the pads widen a ton. I can run the widest wheels in my bike without issue. If you're having an issue, this pad width is probably too narrow. Easy fix.

And hey everybody - Happy Holidays! Hope you all get some awesome family time and training time over the hopefully few days/weeks off you have.

Best,

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MITaerobike wrote:
krez wrote:

The brakes have an awesome width adjustment feature - use a 2.5mm in the end of the brake lever to thread out a bit and the pads widen a ton. I can run the widest wheels in my bike without issue. If you're having an issue, this pad width is probably too narrow. Easy fix.

And hey everybody - Happy Holidays! Hope you all get some awesome family time and training time over the hopefully few days/weeks off you have.

Best,

Mark

Thanks for the reply - Happy Holidays!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
krez wrote:

Lets see some pictures!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still very much stock. Haven't even adjusted it for fit yet:

Edit: Ok, I did change the pedals. ;-)

Last edited by: krez: Dec 19, 13 15:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks great. I pick mine up tomorrow. Looking forward to the first ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Bmonty2504] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Expert is still backordered till February :(
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread - Bar adjustment [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just picked up a 2013 Expert and went into do the fit and there does not seem to be an easy way to widen the elbow pads. We tried to un-bolt the bars and swap the right bracket with the left to get the bars on the outside of where they bolt down-- we realized this was not going to work as the elbow pads would then go inside the bars (no help at all).

I am a 6'2 and have broad shoulders. If I use the standard position and push the elbow pads out as far as possible it is still a bit of a squeeze.

Any ideas how to move the bars/elbow pads wider? I understand getting narrower shoulders would be faster but then I would have to drop 20 lbs too...

THANKS!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice! magura brakes - awesome :)
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Bmonty2504 [ In reply to ]
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Bmonty2504] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bmonty2504 wrote:

I know I am probably going to get some flak for my next statement.... The stock crankset enhanced the bike's "stealth" look, while the Dura-ace crankset, I feel, takes away from the overall look of the bike.

I'm not a fan of the way the translucent Fuel Cell looks on Shiv's either, but I suppose Specialized had a reason for it (it could have at least been BLACK instead of the brown/tan).

BUT, that out of the way...

Yeah, I tend to agree, the shiny alloy crankset in the pic stands out like a sore thumb! It's not a fashion show, but if you are looking for a "look", and you don't think there's a huge benefit to the new crankset, or a big detraction by going back to the factory crankset, then I'd go 'back in black'.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [skwan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xmas came early! My Flo90s came in and this baby got some new shoes with Magura RT8 TT! I can't wait to take it for a spin!

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread - Bar adjustment [brilittle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can swap the clamps that hold the aerobars from the left to the right. If you just turn them around so they face backwards the pads will be on the outside. I bought my Shiv Pro XL off E-bay and this was how the previous owner had his setup. I'm 6'5" and it was way to wide for me so I put it back to normal.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Chokebait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Decided to swap the Dura-ace crankset and Garmin Vector pedals for a S-works Quarq Powermeter. I think it is ready for some fit adjustments.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you really just post a pic of your bike with platform pedals??? Oh the humanity!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [skwan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love the images of the new Shivs. I bought the Rival model at launch and love it. I did have to go down to a small and the lowest setting on the steering tube to hit my position so I now have a whole stack of spacers on top. Many of the pics posted have the column cut down to give the whole front end that sleek look and I would love to follow suit. It probably does not affect the aerodynamics as I use the torpedo mount set fairly far back sort of shielding the tower behind the bottle's shadow. I am worried about having trouble re-selling the bike (at some point in the future). Am I missing something or is there some way that I can achieve the slammed look without affecting re-saleability?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Fast Freddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fast Freddy wrote:
I did have to go down to [the] lowest setting on the steering tube to hit my position so I now have a whole stack of spacers on top. Many of the pics posted have the column cut down to give the whole front end that sleek look and I would love to follow suit. I am worried about having trouble re-selling the bike (at some point in the future). Am I missing something or is there some way that I can achieve the slammed look without affecting re-saleability?
I cut out some of your post to save space.

Simplest answer: Commit to the bike - Cut it's head off. Cutting the steering tube won't necessarily effect the resale price, moreso just the market size of riders that might buy it. I.e. it might take longer for you to sell. It doesn't necessarily mean that a higher bar rider couldn't buy the bike, just that they'd need a steep angled stem to get there.

I went through the same conundrum last month when I got my Rival Comp also. My thought process went like this. 1) I want the bike to look good, and look clean. 2) I got the bike at a good price since it was a 2013 model. 3) I'll ride this bike for at least 2yrs for IM and HIM distances, so the resell price of the bike won't be huge. Result = cut the tube to minimum length.

Since there's so much variability in used bike pricing based on upgrades, lack of upgrades, bike age, mileage, etc I made some really general assumptions:
  • It was new, a 2013 model, at the end of 2013, and it had already discounted $1300 below MSRP, $3300 down to $2k.
  • At the time of buying, I also a few NEW 2012 models go for about half of MSRP (Shiv Pro Red went for $2800, I missed the Ebay sale by $11).
  • Used bike prices dip below those new prices significantly.
  • I'll ride it at least 2 years and I'll be putting a lot of miles on the bike since I'm long coursing.
  • I'll be upgrading it as I go through the next two years, but will probably put the stock components back on it if I sell it, keeping the upgraded components to put on my next frame.

So looking at similar bikes, similarly aged relative to their new MSRP, I figure the bike will be worth about $1000 when I get a new bike in 2016. For $1000, compared to the price of the new bike (or the combined price of my upgrade groupset and the new frame) I'd be getting, I'd rather keep it as a trainer bike or rainy day bike (or just a back up).

Not saying you have to, or even should go that way, but that's how I went through my mental exercise to decide to irreversibly bob my steering tube.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Chokebait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cut some of mine so I didn't have as many spacers. I left some room for the next person to be able to raise it some. Looks fine, gets the job done.
Quote Reply

Prev Next