Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tips To Reducing The Pain During Laser Hair Removal
Quote | Reply
Here are a couple of tips that can be used to help reduce the pain during laser hair removal.

Tips 1. Apply topical numbing creams
Topical numbing creams may be applied to the area prior to the laser treatment as they will not change the effectiveness of the treatment. Make sure to time the application appropriately as you don¡¯t want it to wear off by the time the laser treatment starts and some may also take a while to kick in. Many numbing creams recommend applying 20 or 30 minutes prior but all creams are different. Be sure to read and follow the directions accordingly. This is by far the most popular method of preventing any laser hair removal pain.

Tips 2. Bring an icepack to a session
Bringing an icepack to a session and holding it on the area for about 5 ¨C 10 minutes prior to the laser treatment can also help numb the area if you do not have any numbing cream.

Tips 3. Select laser type has a cold air attachment
Some hair removal laser types, such as Permanent Laser Hair Removal 808 nm Diode Laser Beauty Machine - PZ606 from toplipolaser.com, come with air attachments that blow a stream of cold air directly onto your skin while the laser is in action. This is used to soothe the area and help reduce pain. If your selected laser type has a cold air attachment, a trick is to ask the technician to blow the cold air all over the area for a minute or two prior to the laser treatment to help number the area even more. If the area gets too cold, get them to stop and proceed with the laser treatment immediately.

Tips 4. Ask the technician to experiment with pace
Ask the technician to experiment with pace. Technicians all have their own technique when it comes to using the laser. Some perform in quick bursts, while others use a slow, continuous pace. One technique may feel better on your skin than the next. Determining what pace feels the best for you can help reduce laser hair removal pain.

Tips 5. Avoid during menstruating
For the ladies, try not to schedule your session when you¡¯re premenstrual or menstruating as your hormones may greatly increase your sensitivity to pain.

Tips 6. Drink a gallon of water prior to the treatment
Drink a gallon of water starting about 4 to 6 hours before the treatment. Going without a drink can make you more sensitive to pain, a study has found. Although there is the danger of drinking too much and getting sick, but you will not feel a thing through out my session. It's easy and free.

Tips 7. Avoid coffee and anything else that contains caffeine
Avoid coffee and anything else that contains caffeine the day of your treatment. Caffeine has been said to increase sensitivity.

Tips 8. Ask the technician to stop when the pain becomes intolerable
If the laser hair removal pain becomes intolerable, you can easily ask the technician to stop. They can give you some time to recuperate before you are ready to proceed with the rest of the procedure.

Tips 9. Try to have the hair as short as possible
The length of the hair makes a difference. The longer the hair, the more painful it is going to be. Technicians will advise you to shave the area a day or two prior to your appointment. To avoid more pain, try to have the hair as short as possible, but still visible.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips To Reducing The Pain During Laser Hair Removal [stella001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish I knew about this a few years ago. It was torture. Worth it, but torture!

Jen Yanda
Quote Reply
Re: Tips To Reducing The Pain During Laser Hair Removal [Jyanda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad to see this thread as I've been thinking about it, although I'm not sure how expensive it is. It would be nice to get everything done - arms, legs, bikini....
What do most people do? Small area at a time?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Tips To Reducing The Pain During Laser Hair Removal [LPJmom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have stopped the perpetual saddle sore on my left side (tested it this weekend at HITS 1/2 Iron Triathlon) with laser treatments. Having said that, I wish someone had told me how EXCRUCIATINGLY PAINFUL being electrocuted in your private parts would be. Now I get why electrodes strapped to testicles is considered torture…

Each treatment is around $100-200, and up to a 1/2 dozen are needed to kill all hair. On a less sensitive area, it might be more tolerable, although I've heard underarms are also at the limit of most people's pain threshold. To answer your question succinctly, it's painful and expensive.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Tips To Reducing The Pain During Laser Hair Removal [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My experience was actually quite different, maybe because laser places are on every corner in Los Angeles. Not painful, and not expensive -- Groupon can be good for this, if it's a reputable place. I paid $119 for a package of 6 treatments on a "medium" area -- both bikini and underarms are considered medium, legs are large, face is small -- and quit shaving my underarms entirely after only 2. I tried two different places, two different types of lasers -- one great, one less great (and so the great place is touching up the less great work). I do however have MORE chafing on the chamois-seam line of my shorts now, but that's the only negative.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips To Reducing The Pain During Laser Hair Removal [stella001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bourbon

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tips To Reducing The Pain During Laser Hair Removal [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had both full-legs done. 3 hours x 3 sessions. any the ONLY thorough that hell was vicodin. 2 hits.

the results were worth it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stella001 wrote:
Here are a couple of tips that can be used to help reduce the pain during laser hair removal.

Tips 1. Apply topical numbing creams
Topical numbing creams may be applied to the area prior to the laser treatment as they will not change the effectiveness of the treatment. Make sure to time the application appropriately as you don��t want it to wear off by the time the laser treatment starts and some may also take a while to kick in. Many numbing creams recommend applying 20 or 30 minutes prior but all creams are different. Be sure to read and follow the directions accordingly. This is by far the most popular method of preventing any laser hair removal pain.

Tips 2. Bring an icepack to a session
Bringing an icepack to a session and holding it on the area for about 5 �C 10 minutes prior to the laser treatment can also help numb the area if you do not have any numbing cream.

Tips 3. Select laser type has a cold air attachment
Some hair removal laser types, such as Permanent Laser Hair Removal 808 nm Diode Laser Beauty Machine - PZ606 from toplipolaser.com, come with air attachments that blow a stream of cold air directly onto your skin while the laser is in action. This is used to soothe the area and help reduce pain. If your selected laser type has a cold air attachment, a trick is to ask the technician to blow the cold air all over the area for a minute or two prior to the laser treatment to help number the area even more. If the area gets too cold, get them to stop and proceed with the laser treatment immediately.

Tips 4. Ask the technician to experiment with pace
Ask the technician to experiment with pace. Technicians all have their own technique when it comes to using the laser. Some perform in quick bursts, while others use a slow, continuous pace. One technique may feel better on your skin than the next. Determining what pace feels the best for you can help reduce laser hair removal pain.

Tips 5. Avoid during menstruating
For the ladies, try not to schedule your session when you��re premenstrual or menstruating as your hormones may greatly increase your sensitivity to pain.

Tips 6. Drink a gallon of water prior to the treatment
Drink a gallon of water starting about 4 to 6 hours before the treatment. Going without a drink can make you more sensitive to pain, a study has found. Although there is the danger of drinking too much and getting sick, but you will not feel a thing through out my session. It's easy and free.

Tips 7. Avoid coffee and anything else that contains caffeine
Avoid coffee and anything else that contains caffeine the day of your treatment. Caffeine has been said to increase sensitivity.

Tips 8. Ask the technician to stop when the pain becomes intolerable
If the laser hair removal pain becomes intolerable, you can easily ask the technician to stop. They can give you some time to recuperate before you are ready to proceed with the rest of the procedure.

Tips 9. Try to have the hair as short as possible
The length of the hair makes a difference. The longer the hair, the more painful it is going to be. Technicians will advise you to shave the area a day or two prior to your appointment. To avoid more pain, try to have the hair as short as possible, but still visible.

I understand that this is pretty much old post but I want to address this because laser and pain management have evolved over the years. I would like to add 10th tip. This I experienced during my laser hair removal treatment.

Tips 10. Ask your doctor for advance laser machine.
Many lasers now have built in cooling systems to alleviate pain and discomfort. Some have a cooling spray with the laser itself and others have cryogen coolers that blow cold air onto the skin a split second before the laser to help cool the targeted area. You could have also topical anaesthetic cream applied before treatment or cooling hand pieces could be applied during treatment.

- Renuka
Last edited by: Renuka Shinde: Feb 23, 18 2:27
Quote Reply