Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Winter running Inside or Outside? [carlsomi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm dealing with running in colder conditions this year. I won't say cold because it's only 40-45 for the most part, but it's not the 70 I'm used to. I used to run in all conditions when lived in Colorado, Japan, and Korea. Layers is my key. I did the screws in the shoes in Colorado and fortunately Japan and Korea it was all on cleared roads.

I can't do the treadmill, I did when I lived in Vegas, but only for 30 minutes at a time (30 min treadmill, 30 minutes outside in the heat).

I've been creative in making my own fleece lined tights ($15 thin fleece tights from Walmart & $20 compression tights from Old Navy...I just can't bring myself to spend more on cold weather gear...not yet anyway) and found some awesome but cheap long sleeve base layers at Walmart (Cuddle Duds). The only thing I spent money on were some awesome gloves from Columbia because I have Raynaud's Syndrome).
Quote Reply
Re: Winter running Inside or Outside? [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in the land of ice and snow. Good winter clothing is an investment. If it isn't even getting down to freezing where you are, I can see doing just enough to get by.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter running Inside or Outside? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've lived in very cold climates and run 15-20 degree temps in long underwear and sweat pants and a hoodie with a neck gaitor and stocking cap (back before all the nice tech cold running gear). My piece together fleece tights stood up to the cold/wind in Ohio over thanksgiving. As long as my hands/fingers are warm and I have something over my mouth when I breathe (which I made a $2 fleece neck gaitor) the rest of the gear doesn't have to be high end/expensive. I tried on some cold weather tights and my pieced together tights were much better/warmer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run outside! Easy miles will be fine. You just want to be good and warmed-up, and not slip, when doing hard stuff.

kelly dunleavy o'mara
@kellydomara
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just did my first run in the Icebugs 11 miles in a snowstorm so ranged from wet pavement to several inches of powder and everything in between totally awesome!

I got the animus on Sierra trading highly recommend
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GhiaGirl wrote:
The only thing I spent money on were some awesome gloves from Columbia because I have Raynaud's Syndrome).

Where did you get these? I need to try something different. I went out today in 34F and about froze to death.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Winter running Inside or Outside? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dicks Sporting Goods. I just looked at them and they are actually North Face. Here's a link to them on Amazon. A little bulky, but super warm and windproof.

http://www.amazon.com/Womens-Tnf-Apex-Glove-Style/dp/B00AB7CL0E/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1387144369&sr=8-18&keywords=north+face+womens+gloves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cold is a relative thing I suppose based on what you are used to. I wouldn't consider "very cold" as 15 to 20 degrees F which is about -10 Celsius. I have been running outdoors for the past week in a range of temperatures from -30 Celsius to about -37 Celsius. It's all in the gear - good wicking layers. I run very slowly in these temperatures to avoid getting too sweaty. That's a killer if the wind picks up and can chill you down big time. My standard gear is a base layer of Merino wool - 300 weight Polar fleece pants with a gore tex windbreaker type pant as my outer layer. I wear a second top of a thicker wicking material - I have a nice North face one right now. I top that off with a jacket that is more of a wind breaker. For socks, again I wear x-c ski socks that come to the knee. I wear my regular running shoes. For my head and face I wear a fleece snuggly fitting hat and will wear a lighter one underneath if it's really cold. I wear a neck warmer that covers my neck and face up to just below my eyes. I prefer this to a balaclava as you can expose your face if you warm up enough. For my hands - I wear 'puffy' mitts - never gloves. The last thing I do before heading out the door is to put a protective layer of vaseline around the area of my eyes.

As I type this I realize I must be bat shit crazy to do this but it is very invigorating!
Quote Reply

Prev Next