Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Need help from my fish heroines
Quote | Reply
Tigerchik and my other heroine ladyfishes! HALP!

So I finally dug deep and started swimming a lot more. Loving it. A few things are driving me NUCKING FUTZ and I was hoping there are some right answers to these things. I feel like a nitwit... My mom put me in swim lessons when I was 6 and ended after I was able to not die. Woo. Pretty crummy swimmer. Anywho, Finally feeling better, but a few female oriented swim questions:

A) WTF is the right way to put on a swim cap. I have tried putting my hair in a braid and tucking it over the top, putting it in a bun, all sorts of stupid. Do you start from the front or back or wtf? HALP! Details appreciated.

B) Maintaining the lady bits. Do you shave a lot or use dipalitory or ? What do badass swimmers like yourself use to maintain lady area (if it isn't to personal - otherwise feel free to abstain).

C) Fave swimsuits? I have a lower-end black one-piece that I rely on, but I'd love some higher-end recommendations so I can be functional and feel pretty.

Thank you to all in advance - I've made it SO far thanks to ST Womens and am psyched to up my game for my half IM next year!!!

<3, AC

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help from my fish heroines [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I had long hair, I would braid it into a pony tail and would tuck it under the cap wherever it would stay.

As to the lady bits, I used to shave, but am now getting everything down south permanently removed via laser hair removal.

I have perhaps 10 different suits that I rotate through. When I'm at tri expos, I will pick one up on clearance as a souvenir of the event. Tyr, Speedo, Uglies, Sugoi and other brands are in my swim bag.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
20 years of competitive swimming this is my 2 cents

Cap: never silicone. Never. waste of $$ and unless you have a tiny head they fall off. Latex. the ones they give you for free at the races.

I hold the opposite edges of the latex cap, one with each hand, where my fingers are pointing away from me. My thumbs and forefingers are in the cap, and the other three fingers are outside of it. With one swoop I bring the closest edge to my forehead and the cap around my head. I do nothing special with my hair- it is down (no ponytail). So now the cap is on me like a beanie and my hair is around my shoulders. Then I part what is showing of my hair- half in front of my right shoulder and half in front of my left. Then I take the half of the hair and I turn it up in a little bun and shove it up in the cap. Do the same to the other half. I adjust my cap so that it is covering half of my ears. I leave my ear lobes out.

swedish goggles, for-eva. But no triathlete will ever believe me on that one.

anyway, lady parts. I used to just shave the bikini line and yeah there would be razor burn from time to time. Now since I swim at 5:30am in dark pool and am not in high school or college swim team where I cared what boys saw, if there is some hair showing oh well. Too bad. I shave when I feel like it. Shave with the grain and a nice sharp razor.

I buy suits from swimoutlet.com and I get the absolute cheapest ones I can find- uglies and dolphin usually. Sometimes grab bag. Again, just like caps and bikini line, I've swam all my life and I don't care in the least bit about fashion or "flattering cuts". this suit is awesome: http://www.swimoutlet.com/...5792.htm?color=10970

I bought several of these and I love them- they last the chlorine better than lined lycra suits but they have a stiffer feel of the material, but work really really well. And so, so, so cheap.

yay swimming!
Quote Reply
Re: Need help from my fish heroines [npda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha! We are in disagreement about caps and goggles!

Cap: always silicone. They pull your hair less.
Hair: ponytail or bun. Put cap on, tuck excess hair in. If latex cap, wet cap inside/out before you put it on. Not needed w/ silicone.
Goggles: I have a pair of TYR goggles I really like, don't know the model. Speedo Women's Vanquisher are well-liked. Really, it depends on the shape of your facial bones and you may have to try different types. I do not like Swedish goggles.
Suits: style is less important than material. GET A POLYESTER SUIT. I had a poly TYR suit that lasted 5 years and it wasn't the material that stretched or pilled... the stitching deteriorated. Poly suits will last forever. Lycra will stretch and fade. I'll find pictures of the styles I like but my general preference is the 'cutout' suits with thin straps. I'm 26 and the looking-good-swimsuits is definitely a factor for me...
Lady bits: shave.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This ain't going to help much at all, but this thread is fun - there's enough of that stroke technique stuff happening over on the mens..:-)

A) Get a haircut. Chop it all off & then you don't have to worry, except for those little bits at the bottom of your neck that get bleached. Another vote for silicone.

B) Wax. As much of it as works for you. Or your husband:-)

C) I don't bother with expensive suits - I've got sick of them by the time they wear out, so I go for high rotation. I'm liking these ones though: http://www.slixaustralia.com/
No idea if they ship to the other side of the world.

See? I told you I wouldn't be very helpful:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Suits?
http://Www.bettydesigns.com
Fun suits!
Use my code for a discount DONATELLOfriends
Happy Holidays!

Kat Donatello
2015 Betty Designs Team
RD, The Pumpkinman Triathlon Festival
http://www.pumpkinmantriathlon.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A - I don't know, I just stuff it on. I've never purchased a swim cap, I just use the free ones from races. I put my hair into a looped ponytail and stuff it in.
B - I used to shave a lot but got laser removal for areas outside the suit. It was definitely worth it
C - POLYESTER SUIT. I have one that is OVER 5 years old and finally starting to die from the stitching failing, not the fabric. Colors are still bright and has great shape. I have two Nike poly suits, and one TYR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the cap I use the cheap race ones. Silcone always slips of. French braid my hair, pull the bottom up and then put cap on starting from the back. You gotta get it pretty low in the front for it to stay, if it's up like a hat, then it's likely going to slip off. Also helps to go under water and push as much air out as possible.

I love Splish suits. You can try one cheap with their grab bag suits. They have tons of cute designs or you can order your own.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help from my fish heroines [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Oooh!
I like how that site has a bunch of different models of a bunch of different sizes. Those girls actually look like swimmers.
I like the leopard print one except it seems to come up high in the back/butt.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: tigerchik: Dec 16, 13 8:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A) Latex cap. I put my hair in a high, messy bun, and I put the cap on my forehead first and stretch it over the back. I'm ok with a little hair sticking out the back, but I HATE loose hairs in the front.

B) former shaver turned waxer. Can't swim on the day you get waxed (well, I usually swim in the AM, wax at lunch or after work). Grows back light/thin. Worth a couple bucks every 5 weeks.

C) I was into Nike, but their elastic wears out quickly. Speedo is my go-to brand, and I've had good luck with Splish (http://www.splish.com) Grab Bag suits. Super cheap if you don't care what they look like... and if you do, they have some killer designs. I recommend the Polyester PBT - worth the extra $10 for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use to have: the blue/white stripe on the Grab Bag picture here http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/7422.htm
I swam Some's Sound, the only natural fjord on the east coast, in that suit... was a favorite :-)

Ok - I have this one, http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/42123.htm
The next one I am going to buy, at some point, is this style (but not this color) http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/48182.htm
I like how they hit low in the back/butt and I like the straps. I also like the 'cutout' styles vs suits that have material on your sides... I think the cutout styles are more slimming.

Last edited by: tigerchik: Dec 16, 13 8:21
Quote Reply
Re: Need help from my fish heroines [npda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for all the wonderful details!

Sounds like I need to stick with the caps I'm using (yup, all from races) but try wetting it inside first. I've definitely had the "tearing at my hair omg it hurts" feeling this week when putting them on dry. I didn't know wetting them was a thing.

When I mentioned swimoutlet to my husband, he turned his laptop to me - apparently he's been ogling some goggles from there, so I had him add on a couple of the suits. HELLA good prices!

RE Betty Designs: I swear on my life I saw 10+ girls at IMAZ racing in this! Must be good stuff. That said, I am nowhere being cut like the ladies in their pics! Oh my.

RE Slix, I'd totally forgotten that my best friend (non-triathlete living in New Zealand) had sent me a link - LOVE the training bikinis. Are they good at staying put? My boobs are kinda big right now (C) so I need some strap-down-iness. Also, there don't seem to be any details on fit. Do they run small (like most things outside of US, lol)?

Bonus question: I have naturally super-light blonde hair and use UltraSwim to prevent going green - does anyone use special conditioners, too, or ? No cutting it all off (yet) - I grew it out for the wedding and my husband likes it long :) I don't mind it ... too much ...

Thank you ALL!! LOVE hearing all the different approaches/preferences/habits!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started putting coconut oil on my hair before I swim. Enough to coat most of the hair, but not be dripping out of my swim cap and then soak my hair well in a shower before I braid and put the swim cap on. Really helps keep my hair in good condition. I also use Wen by Chaz Dean shampoo/conditioner. It's pricey, but awesome.

Most pools now won't turn your hair green anymore, but it still isn't good for your hair.
Last edited by: GhiaGirl: Dec 16, 13 9:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no special shampoo or conditioners here, blonde and have never had it turn green. I actually am slightly disappointed at that; I think I swim enough to earn that particular blonde swimmer trademark :-(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for silicone. More comfortable, and last way longer than the latex ones - worth $10 every year or two to me.

I shave. I'd love to consider laser, but damn that's expensive.

As for hair/putting on cap:
1) put hair in normal ponytail
2) pull cap open & put on forehead first, then pull over top & back of head (earlobes out)
3) twirl ponytail around finger until it twists itself up into a weird bun sort of thing
4) stuff that mess up the back of the cap

My fav suits are the Speedo Endurance+ Super Proback (http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/7857.htm) - comfy, no-nonsense, and last for freakin' ever. They run a little bit small, because of the lack of stretch - a women's 10 usually fits big on me, but I like a size 36 in those suits. I also use the Speedo Women's Vanquisher goggles almost exclusively; tried swedes, but my eye sockets just don't work with them so they hurt, leak, or both.

I'm blonde as well (from a bottle) and have never had my hair go green in a pool - just once in a hotel hot tub.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Agilecipher wrote:
RE Slix, I'd totally forgotten that my best friend (non-triathlete living in New Zealand) had sent me a link - LOVE the training bikinis. Are they good at staying put? My boobs are kinda big right now (C) so I need some strap-down-iness. Also, there don't seem to be any details on fit. Do they run small (like most things outside of US, lol)?

Once again, I'm probably not much help as I'm built like a whippet (AAAAAAA.....), but the training bikinis have ties in both the tops and bottoms to help secure the load. I've got the fluoro green ones & I find them pretty solid. Love them:-) There's a pretty comprehensive sizing chart on the site - (unlike the splish site - do any of those sizes equate to actual measurements??)

There's also this lot just to confuse the choice:-) http://www.aquadivaswimwear.com.au/home
Quote Reply
Re: Need help from my fish heroines [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-On the swim cap to prevent it from tearing your hair spray your hair with a leave in conditioner before you put your cap on. It prevents the cap from grabbing your hair and also prevents your hair from absorbing as much chlorine. I just use ones from previous races

-I shave

-Another fan of swimoutlet.com I LOVE dolphin uglies. Poly suits that last a long time and are super cute.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am a fishie wannabe - only swimming for two years - but I have many students who are fishies who graduate to D1 swim teams and some have even competed internationally.

Based on their recomendations, I use the speedo endurance suits or Dolfin uglies - both last FOREVER and don't stretch.

Goggles - they told me to go with speedo women's vanquishers and I haven't looked back. And my fishie students gave me this fantastic tip to keep googles from fogging - don't buy anti-fog - just put a drop of baby shampoo in each socket, swirl around with finger and rinse lightly - leaving residue. Let dry a little before wearing - I do this about 10min before getting in pool and works like a charm!

Caps - I use silicon exclusively - comfortable, I can pull over ears to keep water out AND I'm allergic to latex so if anybody wants my collection of tri caps . . . I have short hair so don't have issues - but I put on from front to back.

JUST KEEP SWIMMING!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swim in cheap Chinese kneeskins now, so I no longer have to shave/wax, and it also helps keeps my saddlebags compressed, so I look awesome in them! You can get them from amazon or Chinese ebay like websites for $30 - $40, and they look like knockoffs of the $200 TYR/Speedo racing/speed suits. Good luck and happy swimming!

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please don't put product in your hair before you get in the pool. It messes with the pool chemistry. Take your latex cap and put a little baby powder in it. Dump out the excess. Keep your hair dry, put the cap on & tuck in the loose bits.

I have no hair showing when I wear a bathing suit so for me it's a non-issue.

I have several suits on the go at one time. Tyr & Speedo are my go to choices. I hate the polyester suits. I know they last longer but they just don't fit my body correctly.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help from my fish heroines [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish I could "link all" on this - I read EVERYONE'S input and am so thankful for all the advice. Though I tend to agree with the "let's not put product in our hair that mucks with the pool PH". But I have super-sensitive skin.

That said, I got all my new gear from swimoutlet.com today!!! I decided to try new suits and a silicone cap.

Yup. I am a complete dork. But I LOVE the silicone cap - for all that it's a doofy tiara thing (and was free because of meeting a free-shipping minimum that outweighed the cost) it was really smooth on my thin hair and felt WAY easier to put on and take off.

Also, tiara. I win.

The suit is also really comfortable. Doesn't feel as stretchy as my old ones, but fits snug (no bra cups or shelf but keeps the ladies tight), and has the balance of being tight without cutting into my skin. Did 1,000 yds tonight (!) and felt great. 4 days in a row, now!!!

Thank you all!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice!

I will never understand the silicone cap :)

but the suit looks polyester! WIN! That will last you a long, long time. Damn good choice woman. I know it feels stiff, but give it a few swims- it'll just start fitting your body. You'll never go back to lycra.

Now, on to more gadgets. Do you have swim paddles yet? a leg band? a pull buoy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AWESOME cap! What brand?

The polyester suit will last forever - and it will stretch a teeny bit and get comfy.

Congrats on your 1000 yards and 4 days :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw your post over on the Guppy thread and I was thinking "I hope that girl goes & buys herself a new suit or two"

Because nothing will get you as excited about getting in the pool a lot as a new suit!!

You go, girl - - go smash it!!! :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Need help from my fish heroines [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TC: The cap is Sporti - I got both the suits and the cap from Swim Outlet.

Good to know about the suits - it felt good, just different, and it swam great.

npda: This cap seemed way easier to get on and off without pulling at my super-fine hair.

I think my husband bought every swim toy known to man (he's a year ahead of me in triathlon). I'm not sure I want to complicate things TOO much right now - my first masters class coach had me hold a tiny foam roll in front of me in one hand and do zip-up-pull-ups trading off the roll. It was exhausting to the point of frustrating.

blackthugcat: Couldn't agree more! When I got my new running shoes, I ran more. When I got my new bike, I biked more. This was a nice reward because the suits and cap were cheap. Thanks for the sweet thoughts!

Edit: added links.

Last edited by: Agilecipher: Dec 19, 13 9:52
Quote Reply

Prev Next