Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: LA cop hits and kills cyclist in bike lane [starkrayz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
starkrayz wrote:
Rokko wrote:
But this fact does not mean all cops are good at all times. There are bad cops out there. There are corrupt cops. Cops that use excessive force. Cops that run over cyclists in bike lanes.

To put it simply, Los Angeles leads the country in the employment of "thuggish" cops. It really isn't anything new to those of us who live out here. It doesn't help that the chief (Lee Baca) is a scumbag himself who works his magic to get constituents and celebrities out of jail. I don't think in the 15 yrs I've lived out here that I haven't seen a cruiser breaking the law, whether it be driving well above the speed limit (no lights) on the 405 or sailing through a neighborhood stop sign (a weekly observance living near an intersection and a police station). Any attempt to report ANYTHING to a watch commander will put you on an unfortunate blacklist which has happened to me and 2 separate neighbors (whose children have repeatedly dealt with near-misses by police cruisers).

Point is, outside of LA I'm sure there are squeaky-clean police officers who protect the public. And there possibly is a percentage of LA officers who somehow manage to avoid corruption. But I can certainly sympathize with anyone who lives out here who is getting sick & tired of the LAPD's behavior in the past 2 decades.

PS. We have several large dogs, 3 machetes, and multiple firearms. A perp would be long dead before a "cop" arrived at our house.

This post almost strikes me as comical. I've lived here my entire life (38years)....I grew up less than a quarter mile from this accident on Paul Revere Dr.

You have your opinion and I have mine and that's cool but my experiences with Law Enforcement in this area have been nothing but stellar. I've known several officers that work out of Lost Hills (this cruiser was almost certainly out of Lost Hills) and they are some of the best guys I know. I've trained with a ton of LAPD Swat guys through a local weapons and tactics training outfit and they have been nothing but professional in my dealings with them.

I'm not naive to the fact that shit goes on....but I just wanted to offer a vastly different opinion of our police here than the one presented above.

What I find amusing is the complete lack of patience in situations like this. The incident happened 24 hours ago,....I mean, can we give the police even a chance to do the right thing here? We don't even know what actions they're taking and we're already crucifying them. But that's Slowtwitch......ready, fire, aim. Per usual.

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team
Powered by Accelerate 3
Last edited by: Fastyellow: Dec 10, 13 13:40
Quote Reply
Re: LA cop hits and kills cyclist in bike lane [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:

Like I said, you watch too many tv shows.

And you state this as a fact too? Nice, that's twice you said things that you can't possibly know to be true.
Last edited by: stillrollin: Dec 10, 13 12:16
Quote Reply
Re: LA cop hits and kills cyclist in bike lane [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
I'm not saying there isn't corruption in police departments, currently or in the past. But the level of professionalism, especially among police departments in California, has dramatically improved over the years, so much so that references to unions and codes protecting bad cops is by far the exception. (Police unions raise all kinds of problems, but their ability to protect and keep bad cops on the job is overstated.)
Either you are a spokesperson, a campaigner or a lawyer for the Sheriff's Dept because the "apologist" language is rather amusing, LOL. Nevertheless, the recent corruption probe (LA county jail) proves that business is usual in the Sheriff's Dept. The fact that 3 of those indicted were Internal Affairs investigators (!!) makes this federal probe almost more far-fetched than those fictional cop shows you accuse everyone of watching :)
Quote Reply
Re: LA cop hits and kills cyclist in bike lane [vikingstumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vikingstumps wrote:
There are some witnesses stating the cyclist swerved into the lane in front of the patrol car. Lets pump the brakes alittle bit.
Funny how your post is being ignored. I was wondering if there were witnesses. There is so much missing information at this point, it's just crazy to assassinate the sheriff so quickly.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: LA cop hits and kills cyclist in bike lane [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dreaming~big wrote:
Honestly, I figured he was one of those Brits or Aussies who routinely mangle the English language.

~~ kate

Madam, I demand satisfaction! I choose pistols at dawn. Meet at Leicester Square at 6am tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: LA cop hits and kills cyclist in bike lane [Rokko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Citizens have a right to expect that their law enforcement officers are not "fucking assholes" and do not deserve to have protection removed because they speak up about it. I always just assumed all cops were all good guys until I started interacting with them more and have learned that what seems to be a significantly larger percentage of them than the general population really are assholes. Most recently I was detained and cursed out by a cop riding a motor scooter on a bike path when I said to myself, "that seems dangerous", where he threatened to arrest me and every other cyclist because he does not like them.

I was at a house party where a cop was gleefully telling the attendees that that day he really wanted to beat on somebody so he found an excuse to pull someone over, waited for them to give him the slightest amount of lip (which I am sure he provoked) and then smashed him in the face and put him on the ground. The cop was laughing hysterically about it.

These are not examples of stable people. They should be called out.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: LA cop hits and kills cyclist in bike lane [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
vikingstumps wrote:
There are some witnesses stating the cyclist swerved into the lane in front of the patrol car. Lets pump the brakes alittle bit.

Funny how your post is being ignored. I was wondering if there were witnesses. There is so much missing information at this point, it's just crazy to assassinate the sheriff so quickly.

No way Man....that's not how Slowtwitch operates. We convict and then go through the "facts"....whatever those things are. Didn't you see there's been corruption in the police department? Obviously this cop woke up with the intention of plowing one of those damn cyclists....and all his thug buddies on the force were stoked he did.

Powered by Accelerate 3
Quote Reply
Re: LA cop hits and kills cyclist in bike lane [Fastyellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He probably got on his radio and screamed, "10 Points!!"

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: LA cop hits and kills cyclist in bike lane [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dreaming~big wrote:
Honestly, I figured he was one of those Brits or Aussies who routinely mangle the English language.

~~ kate
Um, a Brit mangling the English language? Isn't that their perogative? At least they don't need to qualify everything with "honestly", so we can tell when they are not lying ;)
Quote Reply
Re: LA cop hits and kills cyclist in bike lane [vikingstumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vikingstumps wrote:

Where are you seeing this? What I am reading is saying that The cyclist was in the bike lane. http://www.dailynews.com/...rol-car-in-calabasas
and
Investigators confirmed to CBS2′s Melanie Woodrow the deputy was on routine patrol and was not responding to an emergency at the time of the collision. They also confirmed that Olin, a prominent entertainment attorney, was in the bike lane when he was struck.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/...asas/#at_pco=cfd-1.0

/

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Last edited by: Gary Mc: Dec 10, 13 14:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After reading this article, it's your post that comes off comical. The corruption in the LAPD and LASD is well known and talked about all over the USA. All the talk does not stem from the choir boy image you are trying to portray. :-)

Article:

http://www.latimes.com/....story#axzz2n76SVEat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fastyellow wrote:
This post almost strikes me as comical. I've lived here my entire life (38years)....I grew up less than a quarter mile from this accident on Paul Revere Dr.
Funny you said this. I was jogging on Glasgow this morning and saw a cruiser cut off a lady and her kid who were trying to walk through the intersection. Perhaps things are cheery and "comical" up in Calabasas, Lost Hills, et al. But I live off 135th in Hawthorne (near Inglewood Av) and the cops we see don't practice what they preach. Nor did they in Mar Vista. Nor did they in Gardena.
Quote Reply
Re: LA cop hits and kills cyclist in bike lane [Tri_Geek_40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_Geek_40-44 wrote:
After reading this article, it's your post that comes off comical. The corruption in the LAPD and LASD is well known and talked about all over the USA. All the talk does not stem from the choir boy image you are trying to portray. :-)

Article:

http://www.latimes.com/....story#axzz2n76SVEat

Choir boy image? Hardly. I was conveying a different perspective of our officers here. People can give their opinions of what they believe goes on here but I can also give mine. The other post talked about cops speeding all over the place, through neighborhoods and other anecdotal tales of "bad behavior". I was simply conveying MY encounters with the police here. My experience tells me that some are good, some bad, and most are in between...just like every other walk of life. YMMV.