Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's the 2014 Pro frameset: http://www.specialized.com/...iv-pro-osbb-frameset

loutriguy wrote:
perplex wrote:
Just put my 2014 Shiv together:

Can't wait to get it out on the road.

Sorry for the newbie question but what model is that and how did you get those colors?

-------
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [in10siv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In reply to the question about which tubes can fit, I use ordinary run of the mill ones, however, the Specialized Turbo ones are appreciably smaller and easier to get in
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Teamzero86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a separate thread on this, and I posted a photo on where I put mine. Basically in the plastic "tower" behind the stem.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maximum width of aerobar pads on shiv carbon aerbar system?? I am buiding a new shiv and would like to use the Shiv aerobar but for comfort my pads on other bikes with Pro Missile Evo bars are 24.5 cm wide center to center.Can the Shiv aerobar pads have the potential to be this wide apart with stock adjustments ??Are there aftermarket additions such as zipp extenders that work.I would really appreciate input as I have not yet purchased aerobars only the frameset.I find pad width to be really important for my long distance comfort.Many thanks to Mark for all your invaluable comments -I have read this entire thread which contains a lot of great information.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [carbonsport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carbonsport wrote:
Maximum width of aerobar pads on shiv carbon aerbar system?? I am buiding a new shiv and would like to use the Shiv aerobar but for comfort my pads on other bikes with Pro Missile Evo bars are 24.5 cm wide center to center.Can the Shiv aerobar pads have the potential to be this wide apart with stock adjustments ??Are there aftermarket additions such as zipp extenders that work.I would really appreciate input as I have not yet purchased aerobars only the frameset.I find pad width to be really important for my long distance comfort.Many thanks to Mark for all your invaluable comments -I have read this entire thread which contains a lot of great information.

Yes, you can run the pads very wide on the shiv but this also moves the extensions wide as well (~160mm center to center, if I remember correctly). We have a former NFL pro who had vey wide shoulders and our bars were the only stock ones w wide enough pads and extensions for him. Pads can go to about 26cm wide in this configuration.

Check it out at a Specialized retailer first but should be totally possible for your desired setup.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey guys - I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam (pants size) and I'm interested in getting some advice on sizing. I currently ride a pretty aggressive position - 90degree elbow angle when in aero bars. I've been advised to go with a small Shiv frame but recent posts online seem to suggest a medium frame size might work.

I've got a Retul fit scheduled for the 20th of Dec but I'm looking for the ST community's thoughts too. What frame size should I be considering here guys?

For what its worth, I'm on a 54cm Specialized Venge with seat pushed back all the way on the rails and a 110 stem.

Thanks in advance,
Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ericv2013] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You sound a lot like me...that makes you a small. But it's still pretty individual.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your rapid response.One more question about the aerobar.It would appear that the pads can be mounted anywhere on the extension.I like them way back'close to the steerer tube and centered behind the basebar.Is this possible?Can the pads be mounted posterior to the attachment between basebar and the extension tubes.You may not know how valuable your input is.Our local Specialized dealer doesn't sell many Shivs and probably no separate aerobars and would have difficulty answering some technical questions.Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [COJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
COJO wrote:
Hey Matt and fellow Shiv lovers, I am looking for the tower caps that usually come with your shiv. I only have the tallest one and need any of the smaller versions. Where can I find them?

So I recently had the same issue: I cut my steering tube to minimum height (only thing on the tube is my stem). Rather than using the 4 foot tall "Control Tower" that came on it to fair the extra 2" of spacers, I needed the "zero height" Control Tower.

So I called Specialized.

These sell as a parts kit, can't buy them individually, as of time of writing at least. The Part number is "Shiv Control Tower Parts Kit" - S122500016 (S as in Sam at the front, and three zeroes in the middle). That gives you all 3 tower heights, and it only runs a few bucks. This has to be ordered by a warranty shop, i.e. Specialized dealer, and isn't available for retail sales to us riders yet. HOWEVER, THESE ARE OUT OF STOCK UNTIL MARCH 2014.

OR, you can do what I did: My LBS called Specialized to order the kit, and found out that they wouldn't be in stock until March 2014. So then he asked if they had any in the warranty/returns shop, turns out they had the size/height I needed, and shipped it out to my shop, FOC.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Chokebait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Chokebait!! You saved me some headache.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [carbonsport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In reply to the basebar question. You could download the aero bar installation booklet which is pretty comprehensive. That way you could see what is possible. It might then allow you to ask the users for specific dimensions of their setup. I can't help because I swapped out my bars but I used the PDF to help sell my shiv bars on eBay
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [coxy_in_nz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the download suggestion.The specialized site under "support"-manuals is unbelievably helpful.Shiv 2012 instructions are 25 pages long with great diagrams.Even their seatpost internal battery install is there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MITaerobike wrote:
Gjadams wrote:
Does the 2014 have an adaptor to mount the Magura brakes?

Hey all,

The Magura Adapters are split into front, rear, and bolts. You need all three to mount a complete set. The front and rear adapters ARE different as they cant the brakes a bit differently to clear the chain off of the chainstays in the rear.

S140500008
BLT MY14 SHIV MAGURA BOLTS FOR BRAKE ADAPTERS (SET OF 4)
S140700010
BRK MY14 SHIV MAGURA FRONT BRAKE ADAPTER (WITHOUT BOLTS)
S140700011
BRK MY14 SHIV MAGURA REAR BRAKE ADAPTERS (WITHOUT BOLTS)
These numbers can be given to your retailer to order!

Mark

Hi Mark,

I've recently bought a 2013 Shiv Comp and I'm trying to install the Magura RT8 TT brakes on. My shop got the adapters and bolts like you mentioned above, but the front Magura brake mounting bolt is too long for the adapter. Is there a shorter front replacement mounting bolt/nut that I can get from Magura? Or is my shop suppose to just cut the mounting bolt with a Dremel and find a shorter recessed mounting nut like a 10mm? If you look at the pic attached, you will see the front brake mounting bolt over extends the mounting adapter a lot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [skwan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The adapters are made to work with two rear Magura brakes which have shorter bolts. You could modify or return that brake and replace with another rear.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your quick response, Mark! I wish I knew I needed 2 rear brakes before ordering the set. Let me talk to my shop and see what they can do. Is the bolt a solid bolt? Do you think there would be any mechanical issues of cutting the bolt shorter? Is there any difference between the rear and front magura brakes other than the mounting bolt length and length of the hoses?
Last edited by: skwan: Dec 8, 13 16:56
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've joined the club! Santa (er, my wife) has a Shiv under the tree for me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mark, I too have a 2013 comp. If I want to put the RT6 brakes on it, I need to get the front and rear adapter you listed above from specialized? And that set of four bolts only accommodate the rear brake though? So I have to order two rear magura brakes??? Confused
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Teamzero86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Teamzero86 wrote:
Hey Mark, I too have a 2013 comp. If I want to put the RT6 brakes on it, I need to get the front and rear adapter you listed above from specialized? And that set of four bolts only accommodate the rear brake though? So I have to order two rear magura brakes??? Confused

You will need:

From Specialized:
S140500008
S140700010
S140700011

From Magura:
-2x rear RT8TT or RT6TT Brake calipers, hoses, and levers

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for clearing that up
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey,

A post for SHIV owners... I struggled with this for a month, but I've discovered a simple way to make the elbow pads on the SHIV up to 3cm narrower from the factory 19mm, so down to 16mm at least, for those that have wanted to do this.

Parts required: two M6 x 25mm bolts, two M6 washers

The picture tells a thousand words: instructions, unbolt the aeropad bases from the holders, then unbolt just one of the rear (or front, either one will work) bolts for the extension angle brackets, then move the aeropad bases inward and rebolt one of the holes to the original pad base holes and use the M6 x 25mm bolts with Blue Loctite in the hole of the extension angle bracket, VOILA!!!

Here's the post with the pic: sorry but don't know how to insert an image on this site.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/...amp;posts=1#M4910758
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MITaerobike wrote:
Teamzero86 wrote:

You will need:

From Specialized:
S140500008
S140700010
S140700011

From Magura:
-2x rear RT8TT or RT6TT Brake calipers, hoses, and levers

Mark

Ballpark $ on the hardware?

CC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Mark.

I have a 2012 Shiv and would like to use the brake adapters, is this possible with 2012 models as well?

The other question is, is it only possible to mount magura brakes, or can you mount any standard center bolt mount brake on that adapter? (like the Dura Ace BR-9000)
As far as i know the 9010 use a different mounting system, so these can not be used.

Many thanks.
Martin

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MCF76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, all carbon Shiv (not Shiv TT) will work with this brake adapter. Will it work with other brakes than the Maguras? I think so but honestly haven't tested all of the brake bolt lengths, cable housing exits, etc. It likely is hackable to work with pretty much everything but I can't guarantee success.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mark, if I want to use a front magura brake for the front of the shiv, what modification would I have to make? I'm finding most of these sold as a set of front and back rather than individual. Anyone get the front magura caliper to work on their shiv?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi guys,
I just had the dreaded seat clamp malfunction and dropped the bike off at my local bike shop. Is there any way I can encourage them/specialized to give me a new frame instead of the epox fix? Also will I be charged for breakdown of the bike?

Thanks
Quote Reply

Prev Next