Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FTP Increase
Quote | Reply
Hello all. I am not new to tri but new to this forum. I searched prior threads and couldn't find anything similar but I do apologize if this is something that has been previously discussed.....

I am in the process of setting my 2014 goals and I wondered what you all think is a realistic goal for increasing my FTP. Meaning, is 10 watts unrealistic, 25? It seems like a lot to me, but just curious what others have experienced.
Last edited by: suzanne66: Dec 2, 13 16:42
Quote Reply
Re: FTP Increase [suzanne66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think a lot of it will depend on how long you've been riding, what your current W/kg ratio is, how much time you have to dedicate to your riding, and what your S/R goals are.

I am relatively new to tris (starting my second full year), and have seen some pretty steady improvement, but my baseline was pretty low as I hadn't done a ton of riding before that. I've seen 10 watts gain in a month of hard riding, but I was very green. With a year of pretty consistent riding under my belt, I am putting in some pretty big weeks (for me) right now, and now the gains aren't coming as fast :)

I would love to have a good cycling conversation over here though--care to share your strategy for FTP improvement over the winter womens?
Quote Reply
Re: FTP Increase [Push] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been riding for awhile and like yourself, saw big improvements in the beginning, but lately it seems pretty hard. My current w/kg is 3.3 for 60 minute. I would like to get it closer to 4. I don't know exactly how attainable this is.... it would be an increase of 40 watts.

Right now I am doing a lot of near threshold work. 2x20, 4x10, etc. and some shorter workouts at my 20 min watts. I dedicate a good amount of time to riding: 3x per week with 1 ride being longer distance.
Last edited by: suzanne66: Dec 2, 13 16:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
set your goal by percentage. and do it in small chunks. and if you reach your goal, keep going in the same size %age chunks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I'm sure you've seen this chart, but I think it's a good reference for this discussion and am posting in case some reading might not have seen it. Going from 3.3 to 4 is considerable, especially if you've been riding for a while. Three sessions per week with a longer ride is definitely good riding, but I wonder if that is enough to realize the gains you're seeking in a season? I may be misreading your post but 2x20 and 4x10 near threshold are good sessions for sure, but in thinking about this in terms of TSS, it looks like your at <300 TSS for the week, and I *think* that would need to be much higher to go from 3.3-4 in a season. I am guessing you will also need to make sure you're doing a VO2 max session once a week, as you'll also need to work on that part of the equation to get from 3.3 to 4. Maybe this is targeted in your "shorter workouts at [your] 20 min watts"?

I really like the idea of thinking about it in terms of percentages. I've had success shooting for 5% chunks.

Is it possible you have places you might be able to gain some w/kg other than through TITS (position, equipment, < lbs, etc)?
Last edited by: Push: Dec 3, 13 7:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, there is always room for me to lose 5 lbs... but really, who wants to do that :) Of course... that might be easier than gaining 10 watts HAHA. That's debatable.

Realistically I think 3.5 is doable..... just wanted to know what other gains people had seen, etc. I always figure, go big or go home, right :)

You are correct, my weekly cycling TSS is right around 300 but I haven't started ramping up for the season just yet (Nov/Dec are my lazy months). V02max workouts = my favorite :) Yes, I do them, usually once per week and I throw some into my longer rides as well. For example, my workout this morning was 10x1 all out with 4 minutes recovery in between each one (I like a full recovery, haha).

I am thinking with some combination of a decrease in my weight (albeit small), an increase in my FTP and maybe a small increase in the threshold at which I race (i.e. % of FTP), I might be able to get there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3.5 seems very realistic and it sounds like you have a good plan :)

I, too, hope others will chime in with their experience re gains and what kinds of rides/volume/TSS it took to get there. I really think it's an interesting question, and I often am a bit daunted by the numbers the guys are talking about--avg 700/week TSS for the year kinda blows me away.

I don't know if you saw the "kona women top bike" thread going on the tri forum page about http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread, but there have been some interesting comments in there about women's fit and equipment choices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for your input! I checked out that post and I agree that a lot of it is dictated by sponsorship. However, my BFF is 4'11" and refuses to ride 650 wheels. We argue at least once a month about it :) For her, it's definitely some weird pre-conceived idea that 650's are for girls. I love reminding her that, yes, she is, in fact, a girl ;) I get fit once a year and make adjustments based upon whether I am going long or not. This year I decided to stick with my "short course" position and see if it works for long course. So far so good.... but I haven't ridden over 60 on it yet. Interesting that they mentioned getting the bars BELOW the stem. I am not sure I have seen this... or maybe I have and just didn't notice (der)!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in 2009 when I was training for IMLP, I was at 132 lbs (even I thought I needed to eat a sandwich) and my FTP was 250 which makes my w/kg 4.18. Today I'm 143 lbs and my FTP is 220 (3.39 w/kg)--haven't had great training this year, a lot less focused because of family emergencies, moving etc.. Two years ago when I raced IMLP I was 138 lbs and about 235 FTP. My weight goes down when I train a lot (duh) and I can easily get to 135 lbs just through training. If I'm very careful about what I eat I can drop to130 (but I won't ever go to 130 because at 132 I feel cold all the time and after about 10 days start to sleep poorly but fell tired all the time). 133 is usually my goal weight. If I got to that weight but didn't increase my FTP I'd be at 3.67 w/kg.

I think weight is easier to drop, but I understand that's not the case for everyone. And the easiest way to drop weight for me is by training, so the FTP goes up. When I was at my peak cycling fitness I rode a lot. I bike commuted to school 45 min-1 hour 3x4 times a week, sometimes rode home, but usually took the bus home. A lot of my riding was just riding, I usually had 2 workouts a week that were based on power, 2-3 x 20 min and then shorter intervals 1-2 min on w/ 1 min off. My long ride was usually a group ride w/ a bunch of guys so there were some intervals in it, but nothing planned. I sometimes did back to back long rides. There were also days I bike commuted to school, then bike commuted to a group workout and home after the workout. I guess my point in all this is ride more and your FTP will go up and you'll likely drop a few lbs in the process.

My goal this year is to get back to that peak cycling fitness and maybe even more now that I have a coach who knows what he's doing. i know I'll be riding a lot in the spring because I have a solo 263 mile single day bike race in April. Hopefully training for that will really give the bike fitness a kick start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
suzanne66 wrote:
Thanks so much for your input! I checked out that post and I agree that a lot of it is dictated by sponsorship. However, my BFF is 4'11" and refuses to ride 650 wheels. We argue at least once a month about it :) For her, it's definitely some weird pre-conceived idea that 650's are for girls. I love reminding her that, yes, she is, in fact, a girl ;) I get fit once a year and make adjustments based upon whether I am going long or not. This year I decided to stick with my "short course" position and see if it works for long course. So far so good.... but I haven't ridden over 60 on it yet. Interesting that they mentioned getting the bars BELOW the stem. I am not sure I have seen this... or maybe I have and just didn't notice (der)!

I still have a lot of work to do on my position, and that thread makes me want to change my cranks :)
Quote Reply
Re: FTP Increase [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GhiaGirl wrote:
in 2009 when I was training for IMLP, I was at 132 lbs (even I thought I needed to eat a sandwich) and my FTP was 250 which makes my w/kg 4.18. Today I'm 143 lbs and my FTP is 220 (3.39 w/kg)--haven't had great training this year, a lot less focused because of family emergencies, moving etc.. Two years ago when I raced IMLP I was 138 lbs and about 235 FTP. My weight goes down when I train a lot (duh) and I can easily get to 135 lbs just through training. If I'm very careful about what I eat I can drop to130 (but I won't ever go to 130 because at 132 I feel cold all the time and after about 10 days start to sleep poorly but fell tired all the time). 133 is usually my goal weight. If I got to that weight but didn't increase my FTP I'd be at 3.67 w/kg.

I think weight is easier to drop, but I understand that's not the case for everyone. And the easiest way to drop weight for me is by training, so the FTP goes up. When I was at my peak cycling fitness I rode a lot. I bike commuted to school 45 min-1 hour 3x4 times a week, sometimes rode home, but usually took the bus home. A lot of my riding was just riding, I usually had 2 workouts a week that were based on power, 2-3 x 20 min and then shorter intervals 1-2 min on w/ 1 min off. My long ride was usually a group ride w/ a bunch of guys so there were some intervals in it, but nothing planned. I sometimes did back to back long rides. There were also days I bike commuted to school, then bike commuted to a group workout and home after the workout. I guess my point in all this is ride more and your FTP will go up and you'll likely drop a few lbs in the process.

My goal this year is to get back to that peak cycling fitness and maybe even more now that I have a coach who knows what he's doing. i know I'll be riding a lot in the spring because I have a solo 263 mile single day bike race in April. Hopefully training for that will really give the bike fitness a kick start.

Great info, thanks for sharing that, and some seriously strong riding too. 263 single day solo? Bad ass. The thought of that make my legs cry a little :) Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It makes my leg and butt cry too. Hopefully in 4 1/2 months it won't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
25 is certainly not out of the question. I know because I went from 170 to 195 in the span of less than 5 months. You just gotta put in the work. Granted I was younger and skinnier and my W/kg ended up in the 3.7 range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you a tiny little one?
Quote Reply
Re: FTP Increase [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for responding! That is awesome progress! I hope to do the same :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are a lucky girl. My weight does not drop when I start training for long course. If I am not careful, it will go up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
suzanne66 wrote:
Are you a tiny little one?

HAHAHA--no :)

I'm very lean, but I'm not tiny. 5'6'' and 137, though hoping to be a bit lighter for the season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread made me look at the Kona/Women's bike article. I found their weights/heights interesting. Also makes me realize just how skinny I really am. Even now and especially when I'm at race weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So why do you want to change your cranks? What size are they?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think I saw that, but would like to. Do you have a link?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
on the front page. Can't copy a link because I'm on my ipad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was surprised at the disparity in the 5'10" girls. Caroline Steffan is 148 and Leanda Cave is 128. That is a big spread. I am 5'10" as well. Glad to see I wasn't *much* over Caroline Steffan :)

You are bringing some big power to the table at your weight... so I wouldn't worry about it too much!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GhiaGirl wrote:
on the front page. Can't copy a link because I'm on my ipad.
Thank you--those pics and info are awesome!
Quote Reply