Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Theo911] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Purchased my new shiv tonight (Shiv Comp Rival). Unfortunately, I don't pick it up until next Wednesday. I am switching out the FSA crank with a Rival crank so I can continue to use my Stages Power Meter. They needed to order the specific bottom bracket adapter, and with the holidays essentially starting tomorrow, that puts me at roughly a week wait. Unfortunate, but not the end of the world as I will be traveling myself for about half that time anyway.

Oh well. I was able to take home the shoes (my LBS was running a deal where you get Specialized shoes plus a fuel cell if you purchase by 12/1), so I will ride my new shoes on my road bike in the morning and look forward to next week.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Apollo526] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Guys,
I'm after some advice with Shiv Comp Rival. I've done some research at it seems bottom bracket clicking noises are quite common, not just for Shiv but many bikes with BB30. Anyway I intend to take bike back to LBS to strip the BB out and regrease/check bearings etc. It's painful to ride a 2 month old bike, put the hammer down and have to listen to this knocking/clicking sound. Makes you want to stop and ride home, lol.

My question is, when spinning the cranks freely when is bike stationary, i.e. wheel not spinning, the cranks rotating is not silent, its quite a grinding sound, not smooth by any stretch. Obviously I can hear the chain moving over the cassette but the cranks themselves move freely enough but are not silent. My road bike is smooth as silk and no noise apart from chain over cassette. In fact when I hop on and pedal there is no noise at all on my road. The shiv on the other hand isn't noise free and on occasion has this clicking sound. Am I being weird, lol???

Wondering if this is the norm (aside from the clicking) and experience of most Shiv owners???

Cheers,

Glen.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Ports18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The (likely) issue is that your derailleur needs adjusting. That doesn't sound like it's specific to the Shiv.

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MattyElmore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to chime in and say that this seems to be a very common problem for the Shiv.

I also had the misfortune of the nut breaking loose inside of the frame. Thankfully I had the bladder installed when it failed.

PSA - If you own a Shiv, occasionally remove & apply some grease or lube to this little screw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go back and check out some of the pics in the earlier posts. Seems like there are alot of different options but I haven't seen a comparison on which versions are better on the Shiv. There are also links to a couple of tririg.com articles that show Crowies setup and a Shiv they built with a pretty sweet setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loutriguy wrote:
New guy here first post. Getting ready to bite the bullet and buy my first tri bike. Local fitter fitted me and said Shiv was best fit. He said they have a good deal on 13 Shiv Expert Closeouts. They are going to have a big black friday sale probably and will have the 14s discounted as well. What are your thoughts on the 13 vs 14?

I'm planning to buy the 2013 Shiv Expert on Friday or Saturday (not a Black Friday deal, just the soonest I can get across town to my Specialized dealer).

I don't know what the 2014 discount/sale is, however the 2013's on closeout seem to be pretty incredible. It is my understanding that the differences between the 13/14 is that for 2014 they have included the Fuel Cell (which is free on the 2013 closeout deal), added the new Sitero saddle and added a bottle cage. However, they did downgrade the components from Dura Ace to Ultegra...so there is a trade off.

For me, I'm going with the 2013 even though I like the color scheme of the 2014 better.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [urbantriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
urbantriathlete wrote:
The (likely) issue is that your derailleur needs adjusting. That doesn't sound like it's specific to the Shiv.
Thanks for the advice but definitely not Fd or Rd rub as that's pretty easily noticeable.

Any other advice?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Ports18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those with the seat post clamp issues did specialize epoxy your parts back in or did they swap your frame out. If epoxied has it held up? Just sent my frame in for warranty.

---------
Specialized Shiv
Scott Addict
Niner Jet 9
Niner RLT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shiv comp rival owner here--is there a way to cover my chainring with a black cover or do I need to replace the entire setup? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was poking around my LBS today. They offered to sell a 2013 Shiv Pro with a dura-ace build instead of the Ultegra Ui2 for $3300.00. I had been eyeing another bike for awhile but asked about the Shiv since I know it fits me. So not knowing much about the bike it seems like a screaming deal to me.

Can anyone confirm/ deny? Do I go back and jump on it?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Lou & Welcome,

There is no real functional difference so i would go with whatever the best deal is and color you like. The biggest thing you are getting buying "new" is the warranty so it doesn't matter what year you are purchasing. If cost is a primary concern you should really consider buying used on ST or Ebay as it will be 30 - 50% less than new.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [icompleteme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
icompleteme wrote:
Was poking around my LBS today. They offered to sell a 2013 Shiv Pro with a dura-ace build instead of the Ultegra Ui2 for $3300.00. I had been eyeing another bike for awhile but asked about the Shiv since I know it fits me. So not knowing much about the bike it seems like a screaming deal to me.

Can anyone confirm/ deny? Do I go back and jump on it?

Are you sure it was the Pro and not the Expert? Was it the OSBB frameset that the LBS built up with DA build?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by icompleteme [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
icompleteme wrote:
Positive it was the Pro. I pulled it out of the box a couple times and looked at it even... http://www.specialized.com/...oui2midcompact#specs. Carbon cranks, carbon base bar. Everything that is stock minus the Ultegra Ui2 which they are going to swap out with "dura-ace" 10 speed. I'll be honest I don't really wonk out on components so it might be a mix. Did confirm that the rear derailleur is dura ace though.

Wow. That's pretty awesome. What color was it?

I headed to my Specialized dealer tomorrow and had planned to buy the Expert. I'm going to ask about this. I know they have to order my size, so it may be that the deal you were offered was because it's something they have in stock and trying to get rid of and not an option for me...but I'm going to check anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dprocket wrote:
icompleteme wrote:
Positive it was the Pro. I pulled it out of the box a couple times and looked at it even... http://www.specialized.com/...oui2midcompact#specs. Carbon cranks, carbon base bar. Everything that is stock minus the Ultegra Ui2 which they are going to swap out with "dura-ace" 10 speed. I'll be honest I don't really wonk out on components so it might be a mix. Did confirm that the rear derailleur is dura ace though.

Wow. That's pretty awesome. What color was it?

I headed to my Specialized dealer tomorrow and had planned to buy the Expert. I'm going to ask about this. I know they have to order my size, so it may be that the deal you were offered was because it's something they have in stock and trying to get rid of and not an option for me...but I'm going to check anyway.

All black. Just walked back in and pulled the trigger. Opting to go without the decals.

I think they through that deal out there since the trek place down the street was doing 20% and I was leaning towards the new SC 7.5. That and he just wanted it out of the shop. I do feel a little weird since I've never ridden it but after its built I can return it. For that price though I had to snag it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
icompleteme wrote:

All black. Just walked back in and pulled the trigger. Opting to go without the decals.

I think they through that deal out there since the trek place down the street was doing 20% and I was leaning towards the new SC 7.5. That and he just wanted it out of the shop. I do feel a little weird since I've never ridden it but after its built I can return it. For that price though I had to snag it.

Awesome. Did you they give you the deal with the free Fuel Cell and shoes? If so, you basically just paid $300 for the Carbon crank and bars. Not sure what other differences there are between the Elite and the Pro but it sounds like a heackuva deal. Congrats. Be sure to post pics when you get it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dprocket wrote:
icompleteme wrote:

Awesome. Did you they give you the deal with the free Fuel Cell and shoes? If so, you basically just paid $300 for the Carbon crank and bars. Not sure what other differences there are between the Elite and the Pro but it sounds like a heackuva deal. Congrats. Be sure to post pics when you get it.

What deal on shoes and free fuel cell?!?! Will certainly post pics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went this morning and ordered a Shiv Expert, should be in in a week or two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
icompleteme wrote:
dprocket wrote:
icompleteme wrote:

What deal on shoes and free fuel cell?!?! Will certainly post pics.

See this link for details:
http://bicycle-gallery.com/...ized-shiv-saves-big/

I think every specialized dealer can offer this. However, in my city I called one of the larger dealers and they claimed no knowledge of it. I went to another shop and the employee actually looked it up and confirmed it. Basically, they're offering the 2013 models at a serious discount along with free Fuel cell and shoes. However, it looks like your shop cut you a different (albeit, equally, or more, impressive) deal. I plan to get the Expert too, but am not crazy about the color options. If I can angle to get a deal similar to yours...with a free fuel cell I'll jump on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where can a guy buy a Medium Shiv frame Fuelselage cap/plug? I.e. the flat plastic cap to use when the fuelselage bladder is not installed?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Chokebait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious, what bike box/case is everyone using when flying with their Shivs?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My new Shiv 2013

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Matt-11r] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beautiful bike!

-Michael Welch My Blog
Supported by: TEAM ZOOT Swiftwick
For all your endurance shopping needs
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
125mph wrote:
Just curious, what bike box/case is everyone using when flying with their Shivs?

I've flown twice with my Med shiv in my Thule 699 box and had no problems

Flickr:Csstone495
Twitter:Csstone495
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Csstone495] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A pre race photo of mine from last Saturday.

Sam Betten
Aussie Professional Triathelte
Twitter: @SamBetten
Instagram @SamBetten
Blog: sambetten.blogspot.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next