Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Childbirth - au natural help
Quote | Reply
Hello womens and mens who read the womens ~

I'm due with baby #3 in late April. Baby #1 and #2 were both planned and executed drug free natural births. Would like #3 to be the same. Problem is that #2 was a lot "harder" than #2. It was a rather short labor and delivery in that baby was born within 30-40 minutes of arriving at the hospital, problem was that shortly after arriving the doc noticed my breathing pattern was just wrong and was making me hyperventilate instead of getting me oxygen. When that happened, I pretty much lost it - couldn't get in a rhythm at all during contractions, turned into a cursing drunken sailor, scared some poor first time mom who was in L&D for a tour into "taking every drug they offer her" when she heard I was going drug free on purpose - hopefully you get the picture.

So my question is - anyone who went natural, what "method" did you use? There really are no classes here besides the basic first timer class to get familiar with the hospital, no hypno birthing classes, no Bradley method classes etc. Anyone have any suggestions for something we can get and study or do on our own? What worked for you? My husband actually request we find something prior to little ones arrival this time because it really was crazy - even my parents (who were outside the room) commented that this one was a lot "rougher" than the first. And it would just be nicer to have a bit calmer time. I know what it's going to feel like, I just want to cope a bit better.

Thanks in advance!!
RMC

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: Childbirth - au natural help [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was a certified Bradley Method teacher, though I have let my standing lapse and haven't taught in over seven years.

You might want to read Husband Coached Childbirth (the BM book) with your husband and talk about the points in the book so you guys both know what you like and don't like about that approach, but consider using it as a foundation. The basic premise is complete relaxation--allowing mom to stay in her dark cave and listening to her body while dad does the advocating and interfacing with docs and nurses. Practicing breathing, complete relaxation and having your husband be able to recognize where you hold tension and helping to give you gentle cues to release it or to help you move around (open your hips, squat, roll, walk) can all be things that could help. I think dads like this method because it helps them feel like they're doing something :) but moms often enjoy not having to "think" and giving dad some of that control.

Good, good luck to you and your family on this birth. Hugs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Labor room nurse and Mom of 2 here. How about investigating accupuncture/accupressure techniques with a licensed practitioner? Discuss various accupressure techniques your husband could use during the labor to help with contractions. I utilize basic pressure point techniques while coaching and a good amount of the women I have assisted have told me it helps. Also, request freedom of mobility as long as the fetal heart tracing looks ok. Warm showers help. Birthing balls. And most importantly, it's your experience, if you need to rant and curse, so be it. Wishing you a wonderful birth experience!
Quote Reply
Re: Childbirth - au natural help [rhythmqueen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

This is a tiny bit of advice that worked for me -- a midwife once said if you have to yell, send the noise down rather than out -- try to make it more of a moo down through your diaphragm. It'll give you something to focus on, and a funny story to tell the kiddos later on.

Anyway your third might be so quick that technique will be an afterthought -- good birth!
Quote Reply
Re: Childbirth - au natural help [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before my first was born, my co-worker went to see some calving up close. When she got back, she said something to the effect of "Be glad you weren't there being so close to birth - it was rough, the mooing, the writhing", etc... I told a friend this, who told me that when I was laboring/birthing, "Just Moo!". The story was told to my doc while in the middle of pushing, the whole room laughed, I mooed a few times for fun. Mooing is a very relaxing, tension reliever for me during labor! he he...

The hospital here is AWESOME at supporting natural births. I got off focus when I was told my breathing was bad/wrong/detrimental and I couldn't get back in a rhythm - and I couldn't focus again and sort of panicked - thus the drunken sailor cursing and yelling. Getting the hubby to redirect me would be great - we'll have to work on something because we had NO plan for redirecting my focus.

Thanks for the ideas so far - keep them coming!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as a doc who used to deliver babies and had 2 of my own a big proponent of Bradley
you learn different techniques
for me going inside was what I needed.
but having all different tools at your disposal is important.

If your husband is not the coach you need then consider a doula....
Quote Reply
Re: Childbirth - au natural help [TriGirrrrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriGirrrrl wrote:
as a doc who used to deliver babies and had 2 of my own a big proponent of Bradley

I think doulas are great. They can even be helpful if dad plans on being very involved. Sometimes dad likes encouragement and support too:) An experienced doula will have attended dozens of births and will have a breadth and depth of knowledge that can be extremely helpful and reassuring.
Quote Reply
Re: Childbirth - au natural help [Push] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Push wrote:
TriGirrrrl wrote:

I think doulas are great. They can even be helpful if dad plans on being very involved. Sometimes dad likes encouragement and support too:) An experienced doula will have attended dozens of births and will have a breadth and depth of knowledge that can be extremely helpful and reassuring.

another vote for the doula, Push is quite right..
#1 birth was miserable, 18 hours ending up with drugs, #2 with doula preparation and coaching was infinitely better, quick and drug-free..
Last edited by: doug in co: Dec 2, 13 8:08
Quote Reply
Re: Childbirth - au natural help [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My second childbirth went amazingly 'easy' in large part due to being able to labor in a jacuzi. I only had to push twice and my son was born inside his amnionic sack. When I got to the hospital for my third, I asked for the pool but the nurse said there wasn't enough time since I was already dialated and the baby was there. I had to wait until the Dr arrived though. That was anoying :-)

Have you looked into water birthing techniques? or the use of a jacuzi?

I would recommend a doula too.
Quote Reply