Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Nov. 18 Edition
Quote | Reply
Spill!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 18 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Swim x 4 - WIN.
Bike x 2 - WIN, including an awesome ride on my mtb with my husband on a gorgeous fall day.
Core/strength x 4 - WIN
Foam roll x 6 - FAIL with 5

I think the hamstring is pretty much healed, though the surrounding junk (ITB, adductors) that I messed up running on it are still sore. May try a 20min run this evening.

This week's goals:
Run if it works out. Don't if it hurts.
Swim x 3
Bike x 3
Core/strength x 4
Foam roll x 4

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Quote:
Really need to take a day off from running. so goals for the week, that
DONE as did not run Saturday, 15k of swimming (that will keep me busy I hope) oh yes killed this with 20,500 yes, bike commute a couple of times fail. Keep doing well with food ;-) two bad (but not terrible) days

M - 7 mi run + 4100 yd swim
T - 7 mi run + 4200 yd swim
W - 6.8 mi run + 3200 yd swim
T - 8 mi run + 2200 yd swim
F - 8.5 mi run + 2200 yd swim
S - 45 min. stairmaster + 4600 yd swim
S - 13.1 mi run

Totals 20,500 yd swim + 52 mi run.
The eating stuff was stress and fatigue. I had a test on Thursday so there was a lot of stress building up to that, then on Saturday I had to finish rewriting a paper and had to get it done by that evening, so that created a buildup of stress. The good news is when I do have eating issues it is not nearly as bad as it used to be :D

Goals for the coming week - swim at least 15k, bike commute at least a couple days (did this morning), take at least 1 day off from running, no eating issues! Also want to make major progress on my term paper this week.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 18 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope your 20 min run is pain free :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mon- long run (almost hit 5 miles, long for me since I've been training for sprints since April), running alone on a park trail, somewhat well lit.
Tues- Swim (pool)
Wed- Spinervals (Big Gear Strength, done with a group at a local tri shop)
Thur- Swim (a lot of social w/ a friend)
Fri- off (signed up for Surf City Half Marathon in February)
Sat- ride (rode Turnbull canyon, made it to the top for the 2nd time, only stopped once on the way up, last time I stopped 3-4 times)
Sun- swam (open water - kind of cold for a sleeveless, but should get me ready for my next race.)
Sunday was also our end of season brunch for the group of women I train with. After getting home I finally signed up for HITs Palm Springs, a bunch of my friends are also doing that one.

This weeks plan-
Monday- run
Tues-swim
wed- spin
thurs- run
fri- off
sat- run/bike
sun- bike

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off, good news.
At the end of both my exams (they are on the computer) I received the message "preliminary results indicate you passed"! yay!!
Now just one more, a clinical exam at the start of January.

Other good news:

I got in 6 runs, hit my run mileage goal. I got to do two runs on the beach, in November, in SHORTS.
Got in three bike rides (although all on the trainer, blah)
Bad news:
only swam once because I was exhausted one of the days and just went home and 'died' on the couch. Oh well.

Started a fun new project... making a messenger bag with old race numbers appliqued on the outside of it.

This week: swim 2x, do as much of the runs as possible, I'll likely end up biking 4x. This coming weekend we have a CX double header (Sat/Sun racing) So chances of me hitting my run miles this week are slim.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 18 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 18 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
misstressk, be careful with that hammie--if it was injured, it probably hasn't completely healed--ham strains take a long time, and it may still be very tight, which may be why the other junk hurts

Determination-congrats!

I just wrapped up three weeks of sloth, in an experiment to see if my back pain would subside if I pulled way, way back on the training. The answer is "no." So I told my PT today if it's gonna hurt at least I'm going to get a workout in. ;-) He was not amused.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 18 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
misstressk, be careful with that hammie--if it was injured, it probably hasn't completely healed--ham strains take a long time, and it may still be very tight, which may be why the other junk hurts

Thanks Tri3 and TC - I'll be careful. I didn't actually run last night - decided to give it another day. The hamstring itself feels really good, even deadlifting this morning (only 20lbs; mostly just for range of motion) and riding the trainer last night.

I'm not sure if it could really be called a strain - it got over-stretched (felt a pop) when cold back on Nov 1st and I could barely reach down to tie my shoes. No issues with that now, so I may give it a whack this evening and see how it goes.

Tri3, you take it easy too, and congrats to determination on the exams!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Nov 19, 13 8:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As per prior thread last few weeks have really been a disaster around these parts. Last Sunday was the construction of my basement ghetto gym haha. Starting fresh and stopping with the beating myself up over less running. get over myself. Manage my work stress.

I have no goal right now. It is obvious that I need a goal. It's easy to pick one like "marathon X" but I'm still not convinced I should get back to long distance running right now. I can't even wrap my brain around a non-running goal right now that is meaningful to me. How sad is that? I know I will find one, it just hasn't happened yet.

Last week: skated 2x, ran ZERO, rode 2x.

This week:
- Run 3x
- skate 2x
- ghetto gym 3x
- ride 2x

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 18 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My dad got a free "ghetto gym" setup this summer. He is not as dedicated to fitness as I am... he is super busy and it's not relaxing for him (or at least not as relaxing as going to the movies or watching tv). One of his friends joked that the only workout he would get on it is setting it up. We named our ghetto gym "average Joe's" after the Dodgeball movie. Has proven to be true so far that the only workout was setting it up. I have been encouraging him to use it more because I do not want him to have health issues... maybe will get him an Average Joe's shirt for Xmas...

update here, binged Mon. night but am back on track.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A quick bounce back, good.

If it's not relaxing for him, then why would he do it? Maybe he needs a dog that he walks twice a day. Maybe he needs to curl.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey all. I love reading about what's going on w all of you.

I had a great week last week.
bike x 4
Swim x 4
and run x 6.

This week hasn't been as good. Stomach bug which has sidelined me x 3 days. Hopefully do an easy spin on trainer tonight and see if I can stay upright. Will call this an "off" week and rebound next week when I'll have a 4 day weekend

Happy training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just googled "ghetto gym"
At this point I'm assuming it's just a cobbled together home gym....?
hee hee hee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recovery week turned into super-lazy week. It took 3 days for my legs to be useable after the half marathon, and then it was time to catch a plane to AZ to cheer my husband on during his first full IM. While he spent 13 hours on the course, I walked some 16k steps. woo. That was it. Thankfully, I wasn't eating crap, so I didn't gain any weight.

I'm trying to turn my work schedule to my benefit and use the mornings for workouts now - did a bike ride yesterday and felt great. Onward and upward!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 18 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep, you got it. some rubber mats, some weights, medicine ball, bosu. not much else so far. next will be resistance bands I think.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A big hello to everyone! I love reading what everyone is up to and you all deserve tons of credit for keeping me moving!

Last week, crazy week - end of term and tons of panicked students who wanted to learn an entire terms worth of chemistry in one hour. Sigh. . . Patience . . .

Mission for workouts was to do an hour of something every day and that mission was accomplished for 6 of the 7 days.

This week - goal was to ramp up volume but writing exams, giving exams, then grading exams, followed by writing comments explaining fall term grades to parents is all consuming so I will just try to get an hour of something in every day this week. So far, meeting goal this week and will ramp volume up again next week.

Learned about a half ironman in my backyard at the end of september so I may attempt my first long course triathlon next year. If anyone is interested in doing the Princeton Half, let me know - free room - I live 10 miles from the start!

Happy training all!
Quote Reply