Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who lives in Asheville?
Quote | Reply
It's in my top 5 cities I'd move too. Denver, Austin. Bend, whitefish, Asheville. Moving the end of May. Be settled June 1.

What are the top industries?
Weather? At different times of the year?
Pool? Masters?
Altitude?
Walkability?
Cost of living? Cost to rent 2br w/ fenced yard for dog?
Dog friendly?
Other things? Pros/cons.

Asheville is probably my top choice except for job prospects, it's tied with whitefish for last in job prospects. If I were a risk taker I'd go for it, but I'll probably play it safe and move to Denver.
Quote Reply
Re: Who lives in Asheville? [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check your Facebook messages. A bike racing friend from here moved there last spring.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Asheville was my second choice after Portland. At one point we lived in Winston-Salem during the week and spent most weekends in the mountains around Asheville; but we ended up in Denver where the jobs were.. ha.

The Chamber has the list of major employers, it's still not very encouraging..
http://www.ashevillechamber.org/...rEmployers-04-13.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: Who lives in Asheville? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, my biggest job potential is with the VA in the clinic there as some sort of paper pusher waiting for the 1-2 public health/policy positions to open up. I'm trying to stay in the Fed Govt. Or as a park ranger for the Dept of Ag. And Bend is about the same. Whitefish is even less appealing for job prospects. Austin & Denver being capital cities have lots of federal agencies who might need an economist or a someone in public health.
Quote Reply
Re: Who lives in Asheville? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank Cathy. My big decision is a job I love in a place I like or an unknown job in a place I love.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Healthcare and Restaurants

It's cold right now but am told it doesn't last long. It's still better than FL.
Pool? Masters?
Yep
Altitude?
If sits at 2500 feet but you can take the bike up to 6000 for training
Walkability?
If you live downtown, very walkable.
1200ish at most
Dog friendly?
very
Other things? Pros/cons.

There aren't many jobs available. Hence me being self employed. I moved here a few months ago knowing that but I took the plunge anyways. I was miserable where I was. Denver is more expensive and more expensive to move too. It really boiled down to that for me. Asheville is great. I'm loving it so far.

Susan Harrell
http://www.endurancezone.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.forbes.com/places/nc/asheville/

Spring, summer and fall are beautiful with cool temps at night and not too many "hot" days. Winter varies. There are usually just 10-15 days of real cold weather but lots of 35-40 degree days with drizzle/rain
Pool? Masters?
Yes
Altitude?

Just over 2000, but 5000+ within a short drive
Walkability?
Dwontown, yes.

$900 - $2k depending on neighborhood
Dog friendly?

Very
Other things? Pros/cons.

Very liberal overall. Lots of retirees in surrounding area but downtown is a younger crowd. Lots of outdoor activities.
Quote Reply
Re: Who lives in Asheville? [seh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks! There are 4 positions open at the VA center there and I'll be applying. Fingers crossed. But I'm 95% sure I'll move there anyway. It's a 7 hour drive to my family, north or south, and same distance to a ton of friends and other things I haven't been able to do/see since I lived in Hawaii for 11 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived in AVL fo rthe summer. Really enjoyed it. To answer your questions to the best of my limited knowledge:

Industries - IDK
Awesome in the summer cold in the winter
Yes limited hours, and there is masters
anywhere from 2800 -5000+ feet depending upon where you are riding. I didn't notice the altitude coming from Tucson
walk ability - downtown rather. All the neighborhoods are easy to walk around. I could do a lot of things without getting into my car.
Very dog friendly, my dog has been to bars, restaurants, sub shops
I paid $700 for a 1bed/bath that allowed dogs and included all utilities/internet. LMK if you want the info.
Beer, lots of breweries. Green man is one of my favorite & Rocket Girl from AVL brewery was another favorite.

Contact Heath aka ex-cyclist who has lived there for years.

All in all it's a great place, but I agree the job prospects are kind of slim.

FWIW, Bend is on my short list as well, although I'll probably end up back in NC at some point due to my Dad & Poppop not getting younger.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Who lives in Asheville? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I'd love the info on the place you rented. I take it they were ok with short term lease? I know I'll need at least a 2BR eventually, but it sounds like a place to start.

Thanks for the other info too. I was looking forward to all the good beer there, but unfortunately I think I'm off beer permanently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of beer, if you're moving to Asheville soon, then you won't miss the Winter Warmer Beer Festival on January 25, 2014. The goal is to "shake up the winter blahs". I moved from Asheville to the Midwest, where we are currently experiencing the arctic blast and I can definitely use a festival like this!

Anyway, if you need more info on events, you can check out this blog on things to do in Asheville in January. And for the rest of the year, http://www.exploreasheville.com/things-to-do/events/
Quote Reply
Re: Who lives in Asheville? [kyle8824] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Unfortunately I am not drinking beer for at least a couple months. Maybe by the time I get there this spring I'll be able to drink beer again.
Quote Reply