Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Winter running Inside or Outside?
Quote | Reply
I have moved from a moderate climate where I was able to run outside all winter to a place that has some ice and snow. Can anyone tell me how it is to continue your base run training outside with yaktrax or do you toss in the towel and hop on a treadmill? I love the outdoors and that helps motivate me on my runs but I have never run in a cold climate ice/snow. If I must use a treadmill does anyone have any suggestions on to how not to be bored to tears in 30 minutes?
Quote Reply
Re: Winter running Inside or Outside? [carlsomi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have any advice on the Yak Trax, but I just bought myself a Surf Shelf so I can put my computer on the treadmill while I surf the Net and watch Netflix. I watch an entire TV series while pounding out the miles. Just watch out for the static shock and set up speakers instead of headphones!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would rather put hot pokers under my fingernails than run indoors on a treadmill. And I live in the metrowest suburbs of Boston (aka snowy area). In the early 90s when my pals and I were training for the Boston Marathon, we still ran outdoors 3-4 days a week regardless of snow and ice. In truly desperate moments, I have also known runners to head to the nearest shopping malls and run laps around the perimeter roads. Apparently the shopping malls are much much better at snow removal than your local municipal DPW.

All that being said, I did re-arrange my long run if necessary to avoid snowstorms that would fall on a weekend long run day.

Wear your Yaktrax to avoid icy slips. Or if your schedule permits, try to run at lunch time when the ice has typically melted. I find the worst problem with winter running is not the snow and ice but the narrow roads. I found it safer to run at 5:30 am with Taktrax on the ice than to run during later morning or evening rush hour.

Be brave and get outdoors.
BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Re: Winter running Inside or Outside? [brokenspoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brokenspoke wrote:
I would rather put hot pokers under my fingernails than run indoors on a treadmill.

Be brave and get outdoors.
BrokenSpoke

^^ This. 5mins on a dreadmill and I'm searching for forks to jam in my eyes, and about the only thing that will keep me from running outdoors 6x/week through Canadian winter is an ice storm.

I wrote a blog post (here) last year about winter running, if you're interested. I don't use any traction aids, but I do tend to wear trail shoes more often in the ice & snow.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Thank you for the encouragement! I can avoid the roads by using the multiple trails in the area and the mall idea may work very well around here.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter running Inside or Outside? [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any suggestions on the TV series, Walking Dead on the Tread?????
Quote Reply
Re: Winter running Inside or Outside? [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great blog! Very helpful as a resource tool. I am looking forward to my winter running experiment.
Cheers
M
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't run inside. I run outside year round. And it's cold and snowy. The big difference for me is the proper clothes. Makes a world of difference. The coldest I've ran in was 0F, and I've done colder if you count wind chill.
I put screws in my shoes. I have a slightly older pair of running shoes that I put very short hex head screws in. Google some instructions, they are out there on the web. The key is to get really really short screws so you don't feel them in the shoes. Screw from the outside in. I live near a college, and they are pretty good about snow removal.
I once tried a friend's katahoola micro spikes ( I likely spelled that wrong), they were amazing on a trail but I couldn't imagine using them on the streets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Walking Dead on the Tread... LOL. I'm currently watching the entire Breaking Bad series on Netflix. I also liked Damages. All excellent for alleviating boredom. I run outside year round because we have very little snow, but if I can't stand the boredom OUTSIDE, I can always watch TV while running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm struggling with the dark after work problem. It is dark by about 4:45 here so running after work is taking a huge effort. I've been hitting the treadmill this week.

This is my last after work run in the daylight for a couple months. Took it one week ago today.

It take a while for me to adjust to the worse weather. For me it is dark and rain. Cold and clear I'm totally cool with. Unfortunately I live outside Seattle so I get more dark and rain the cold and clear. I LOVE running when it is snowing.

When I do hit the treadmill, like I did tonight, I watch The Office. I started on Season 1 Episode 1 and I'm about to start the series finale. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 that I bring with me to the gym and prop up on the treadmill so I can watch Netflix. I prefer sitcoms. I went through Freaks and Geeks last winter. Unfortunately that was only on season, such a great show!

Eventually I'll start running after work outside. We've had lousy weather this last week and I need to make the mind shift back to running in shitty weather. Ugh.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure how far north you really are, but for those of us who live in genuine northern climates outdoor running is only an option for the fanatical and the feeble minded. For the rest of us, that's why God gave us x-country skiing. :-)

Seriously, don't run outside in winter conditions. An "ice crash" once cost my wife four months off due to the injury.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter running Inside or Outside? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have moved from Victoria where winter conditions were just wet and cold to Penticton where there is some ice and snow through the winter but not consistently. A lot of locals said that running outside during the winter here is quite enjoyable if you wear yaktrax and use the trails. My husband and I are going to snowshoe at the higher elevations. If it is too dicey I will head indoors and onto the treadmill with Netflix as so many have suggested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yaktrax work pretty well in most snowy, slushy conditions. Sometimes snow & ice can clump, or if you hit pavement, it can be awkward, but generally i like them, on road and trail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I am in a northern climate (Minnesota), and I do run year-round...but am neither fanatical nor feebleminded :p

Honestly, I love winter running...best time of the year! FWIW, in 30 odd years of running, I have rarely ever run on the TM. And in the last 12 years or so, since I've reduced my running to 3 dpw, I think I've done maybe only one or two workouts on it. I detest it like the abomination it is. That being said:

1) Most of the time I wear my normal shoes (Kinvaras). Occasionally, I run in Peregrines (the older ones, when they were the trail equivalent of the Kinvara). When the footing is snowy/packed/icyish I will wear yaktrax. Some people say screw shoes, which I have tried, but just don't care for. Regular shoes work the best most of the time. I wear SmartWool ultralights year round as far as socks.

2) If I run in the dark, I sometimes CARRY a headlamp (with the strap, but wrapped around my hand), but only if I am in an "unsure" area, and even then I don't usually end up needing it. I DO wear a reflective vest and ankle strap, along with a blinky (on an armband) if I am out on sidewalks/paths next to roads. I have found I don't need to worry about ME seeing, as much as other seeing me. But where I live, there are very wide shoulders at a minimum, and bike paths for most of it.

3) The whole line about no bad weather, just bad clothes is true. But you have to find what works for you. Personally, I don't wear a ton...and what some people wear at 30, I don't think I get to at -30, but whatever floats your boat.

4) Adjust your expectations. A lot of people will spaz b/c they have to run slower or have to adjust their workouts. It's OKAY. Frankly, it's also one of the reasons I love the winter. For me, it's a great time to run just for the sake of running.

Sheets of ice make the footing bad, but that's about the only thing I wouldn't run on. (And if I HAD to run, I'd probably go on the trails/golf course in that case) As far as cold, that isn't as big of an issue. I've run in windchills in the -55 range. Air temps in the -20s. Note: The -55 wc ones are ASS COLD b/c the wind is blowing :p And it's hard b/c you'll heat up/cool down unpredicatbly sometimes. Also, when it's that cold, you do need to exercise some common sense (as you would any time you run in potentially hazardous conditions)--don't run in remote areas where IF you were to lose your footing or have some sort of incident no one would find you; let people know where you;re going/when you'll be back, etc.

I'll add that a hat is better than an ear warmer, and that when the temps or the windchills drop into the double digits below zero, a gaiter or balaclava is nice. And sunglasses. Those chilly windy days, it sucks when your eyes water so much your lashes stick together. mmmm...I love winter running. It really is the best part of winter :-)

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Winter running Inside or Outside? [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you love so much about winter running? Just curious

I do almost all of my running on the treadmill :P

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Winter running Inside or Outside? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it's not grossly hot, for one. It's pretty (okay, sometimes. Sometimes it's poo brown and schmermy...but in THEORY it's pretty). I usually have the paths, roads, and parks to myself. It's quiet. It makes me feel vaguely morally superior :D A lunch run means a sustained 30 minutes at least in the sunshine...something I'd rarely see otherwise, since it's dark to work and dark home. It's a good chance to relax. Frozen eyelashes and eyebrows are funny. Winter running is a constant reminder of the simple joy in being active. I like not having to worry about my pace or time, and just go out and run what I need to run. Short or long, hard or easy.

I run to run, I guess. I like being outside. So the treadmill doesn't really have value to me. If I have to be inside and get exercise, I'd do something like my bike or the ET where I can read while I do it.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Came to CO from Africa, took a while to get adjusted ;-) snow is not that bad, only ice stops me from running outside.
discard your watch/gps, just run and go as slowly as needed to be safe. Shady spots may often be icy even when the trails/roads are clear, I'll walk through these, have no shame about it..
Never used yaktrax, did use the screws in the sole at first, but find a decent trail sole works for snow.

Check into the winter trail shoes, like those shown here, Salomon and NB make specific winter run shoes.
http://www.irunfar.com/...ter-market-2012.html
I don't bother since I run hot, but if you get cold feet these might be nice. Also wool socks.

on icy days, dreadmill with music played loud, or mild intervals like 5min at 80% max HR, 5min easy, can break up the monotony..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I moved from CA to WI 6 years ago and was nervous about this at first as well. I mmrocker13 has, but I share most of her opinions. I love to be outside and when I run I like to feel like I'm getting somewhere, so I end up running outside unless it's below ~-5* F/-10*F windchill, at least if the run is about an hour. If I really do need to run and it's below that, I'll hit up an indoor track before resorting to a treadmill.

Madison is pretty good about plowing, and I've never felt the need to buy yaktraks or had ice send me to the ground. I run in my normal running shoes year round. I would, however, recommend that you assess your running stride and make adjustments as necessary. I always end up using winter running to work on my cadence and footstrike. If you tend to overstride (heel lands in front of your hips instead of below) you are at much greater risk of falling. Picking up cadence fixes (or at least improves) that for most people.

As others have mentioned, invest in some cold weather running clothing! Ear warmers, different thicknesses of gloves, vests. Below about 15*F, I wear two pairs of tights. Below ~5*F I wear a balaclava. Experiment and come up with your own tricks and favorite pieces. I don't like to do too many longish runs (>1hr) with the balaclava, because I get extra eyelash icicles and a nice block of ice on the fabric in front of my mouth when I wear it for a while, and that starts to get irritating. I haven't resorted to running in goggles yet :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Twitter | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I don't feel like going outdoors, I can spend hours on treadmill, no music, no video, just me and the treadmill.
This lady is my inspiration
http://www.runemz.com/p/about-me.html - *100.67 mile TREADMILL charity run for The Sojourner Center*
Quote Reply
Re: Winter running Inside or Outside? [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too live in Minnesota and agree with everything you said. I will add that running in fresh snow is enjoyable and I particularly enjoy evening runs with lots of moonlight. You do have to adjust your gait to the conditions and I use Yax Trax often. The only time I consider the treadmill is if I there is freezing rain or the temp is below 0 degrees F. I have had a few spectacular wipeouts and they always seem to happen when spectators are present.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi there, I'm not a professional runner, I do running just for pleasure. Winters in our place are really severe and if the weather conditions are tough I better go to the gym. Just to be on the safe side. Take care!
:)

Use http://tradebel.com/en/ for jogging outfit all year round.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter running Inside or Outside? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"for those of us who live in genuine northern climates outdoor running is only an option for the fanatical and the feeble minded. For the rest of us, that's why God gave us x-country skiing''

Update..........wife just had another injury while running in the ice and snow. This time a popliteal injury and she is currently walking with a cane. She does this almost every year. This why I x-country ski and never run once the snow falls. Be careful winter running. It can be treacherous.
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Dec 10, 13 5:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used Yak Trax in the past this year I bought myself a pair of Icebugs trail shoes (the prongs are built in) as they will work better for the transitions from pavement to ice to snow.... I find that Yak Trax feel weird on the pavement.

Count me in the set of would rather poke my eyes out with knives than run on the dreadmill

I am training for Boston so will be doing plenty of cold weather/ice/snow runs
Quote Reply
Re: Winter running Inside or Outside? [meuf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used Yak Trax, but I have found that the better solution is taking an older pair of running shoes and drilling flat-nosed little screws into the sole with an electric drill to basically make track spikes for your trainers. No slippage!

My Website | Facebook | Instagram
Sponsors:
Hospital for Special Surgery | Central Park Track Club | Blue Ribbon Cycling | Colavita Olive Oil | EnduranceWerx | Clif Bar | VeloClassic | BikeFlights.com 20% off
Quote Reply
Re: Winter running Inside or Outside? [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gorgeous shot Jen! I too struggle with it being dark early over other winter running issues.

Kat
Quote Reply

Prev Next