Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Inside Triathlon Body Shoot....
Quote | Reply
Here you go ladies,some crazy inspirational athletes from a different perspective...

Rinny...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=90_8G1LvtXw

Leanda
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNx4vkFtv38

...and I had to throw in one guy for you

Javier
www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoGQ43EO2ao

Okay,one more for you..

Sebastian
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1q7X-bnQtc

Amazing!!!

----
Last edited by: Nick Mallett: Nov 6, 13 22:39
Quote Reply
Re: Inside Triathlon Body Shoot.... [Nick Mallett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!!

It's probably incredibly narcissistic but I was thinking of getting some photos done early next year towards the end of the season - a kind of celebration that my nearly 50 year old body is strong, fit and never going to be in better shape. Hopefully something for myself and my kid to look back on in years down the track when I'm arthritic, hobbling and wrinkly and a bit of a mid life present to myself.

Those give me some great ideas :-) Doubt I'll look anywhere near as awesome as Rinny but maybe I'll find a clever photographer with good lighting!
Quote Reply
Re: Inside Triathlon Body Shoot.... [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At 0:21 in Sebastian's video...what is he balancing on?! I'm reminded of a Tenacious D skit (NSFW): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCKtMW1TOn8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for it! There aren't enough women out there who are genuinely proud of their bodies and we really should be. I don't think we tend to give ourselves enough credit for what we can and do achieve - so if some tasteful boast photos are something you want to do, go for it. Critics are just jealous :)
Quote Reply
Re: Inside Triathlon Body Shoot.... [noodlecat77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noodlecat77 wrote:
Go for it! There aren't enough women out there who are genuinely proud of their bodies and we really should be. I don't think we tend to give ourselves enough credit for what we can and do achieve - so if some tasteful boast photos are something you want to do, go for it. Critics are just jealous :)

Thanks for the vote:-) I'm also so so conscious of giving my daughter the right messages about body image - making it not about just what our bodies look like but being confident and proud of our physical power and what we can do.

She told me one day not so long back that her friends at school had said that I've got legs like a horse. I replied that I was proud of my horse legs because I can do lots of stuff with them like ride bikes. Haven't had an update from the grade 3/4 leg police since.. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next time she draws that comparison, show her some slow motion video of a thoroughbred in action.

Body image is a powerful thing. I think that sports mean that everyone's "thing", be it chicken legs (fast runner), thunder thighs(wicked cyclist), linebacker shoulders(swims like a fish).. whatever fails to line up the the latest photoshopped images.. can be a competitive edge. It changes the paradigm from focusing on what you don't have to appreciating what you do.

Over the summer, I stopped at a grocery store on the way home from a ride in a cycling kit. An older British woman commented "good on you for being able to prance about like that!" I died. She saw I was horrified and made sure I understood that it was a compliment and that I had her admiration and respect for being fit. I was raised to hate every inch of my body. Recently, a family member posted a photo of my mother when she was in her 20's. She was a beautiful woman and several people commented on the fact. The thought created so much dissonance for her that she became truly upset that people felt that way. The only thing that has allowed me to lighten up on the self hatred that I was raised with is the fact that my father was an athlete and I have escaped through that door. Going to a group ride for the first time, I will nearly have an anxiety attack over fear of judgement until we get rolling... then those massive slabs of meat earn the respect of everyone. It took a bicycle and the surrounding culture for me to finally gain some acceptance. I'm a long way from being as comfortable in my skin as Rinny or Leanda are but at least I will stop at a store in spandex without worry.

To the OP... thanks for posting.

Coach Brain: Accelerate 3 ; Incoherent Ramblings
Quote Reply