Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

mechanic taking too much interest
Quote | Reply
Ucch -- need to vent . . . am going through some upgrades to my bike fit with a LBS mechanic who is ok but more importantly local. This guy is a replacement for another mechanic i much prefer (more methodical + organised shop floor, better rapport) but he's moved jobs and is 40 minutes away. The new one is starting to bug me -- has sent messages twice over weekend and once just now after hours asking about how I like new saddle (which is a loaner and he insists I keep on), how do the bars feel, etc. etc.

I have no problem with a professional taking an interest, that's great, but don't want to encourage out-of-shop communication. How to proceed? Ignore texts? Chill?
Quote Reply
Re: mechanic taking too much interest [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm having somewhat of the same problem. Just moved, found a great bike shop told them I wanted to buy a bike so of course they called a couple times to see if I was coming back in, that's just general sales, but then they (really just one guy) called and asked if I needed anything done before i was off to IMFL, called to wish me good luck and remind me I had free tuneups if I ever needed one before a race, and then when I didn't race because I was sick sent me a text asking if I was okay. I'm just going to ignore the texts and next weekend when I have a friend in town drag him in to the store with me as my boyfriend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the whole, men can be pretty dense...sometimes you have to hit us with a heavy object for us to say "oh, yeah, ok, I get it now".

That being said: you're in a client/vendor relationship with this guy, therefore I'd personally ignore any outside communications. If it's not relevant to the immediate bike service, then it shouldn't happen. He should really know better.

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm watching this thread with some interest, because although I thought blackthugcat should simply ignore the LinkedIn messages from the guy she barely knew 20 years ago, I think if I were kiki (and also GhiaGirl) I'd say something polite but direct, because you do have a relationship with the mechanics/LBS that presumably you'd like to keep, but you want to set boundaries. I wouldn't just ignore their overstepping my boundaries. It can be a bit uncomfortable, but I think a face-to-face, "You know, I didn't answer your messages because in general I like to keep shop business in the shop, hope you understand" or in GhiaGirl's case, "I really appreciate that you're looking out for me, but I'm pretty busy, and I promise I'll call if I need you" is respectful and honest.
Quote Reply
Re: mechanic taking too much interest [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with GhiaGirl on borrowing a friendly male to take in and present as the 'boyfriend' - either that or return his text/call and casually pepper the conversation with frequent references to 'my boyfriend'.

That way no-one has to have a potentially awkward conversation, hopefully everyone can exit gracefully and most importantly, the professional relationship with the mechanic is preserved.

God almighty - it's almost easier to go back to hanging out in bars!! :-)
Quote Reply
Re: mechanic taking too much interest [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gee wrote:
I'm watching this thread with some interest, because although I thought blackthugcat should simply ignore the LinkedIn messages from the guy she barely knew 20 years ago, I think if I were kiki (and also GhiaGirl) I'd say something polite but direct, because you do have a relationship with the mechanics/LBS that presumably you'd like to keep, but you want to set boundaries. I wouldn't just ignore their overstepping my boundaries. It can be a bit uncomfortable, but I think a face-to-face, "You know, I didn't answer your messages because in general I like to keep shop business in the shop, hope you understand" or in GhiaGirl's case, "I really appreciate that you're looking out for me, but I'm pretty busy, and I promise I'll call if I need you" is respectful and honest.
This but I would omit using promise. I know that women do not like to come off as rude but shit, why is it so difficult to be direct by stating there is no interest? I have a job which surrounds me by all sorts of ill-minded men who come on to me. It is grosser than to so I simply tell them I am not there for that or there is no interest. They leave me alone forever.

Quote | Reply
he's moved jobs and is 40 minutes away.

I don't consider that too far to travel for a good mechanic. I used to travel 1.5 hrs for my wrench. Then he moved even farther. I must have run him off. :(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your mechanic sounds familiar.

Is this him?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: mechanic taking too much interest [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:> I'm not in the States so don't recognise him BUT can safely say he's much taller, fitter and cleaner than my mechanic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
*sigh* It's a Seinfeld reference. He's a mechanic that takes way too much interest.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: mechanic taking too much interest [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in George? I'm in the States now, will have to watch for it on the Seinfeld channel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't respond to any of his texts. If you do, he might think...if I text her 100 times then she'll respond. The whole Dumb and Dumber....1 in a million so you're saying there's a chance thing.

Pick up a copy of the Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker. I had some trouble with a neighbor being too friendly. It really helped me understand how some people think.

Also, as women, I think we can fall into the trap of....oh I really don't want to be rude or offend anyone. When sometimes the best thing to do is just say the truth without sugar coating.
Quote Reply
Re: mechanic taking too much interest [clairec2007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Upshot of the story . . . I got a long text this morning saying with regret I will have to depart as I am pursuing a new option . . . and I thought wtf because it wasn't signed and I had no idea who it was -- turned out to be the mechanic! He's gotten a new job, which is great. So I'm praying his replacement will be more skilled socially and mechanically. Thanks to all for your comments and advice. You'd think at 50-freaking-3 this kind of thing wouldn't be happening anyway -- but I guess that's what triathlon does for a lady :>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still hot at 53. Nice, and, way to go!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of women would be flattered by the attention. I want to say "relax" but apparently we're not supposed to say that to women any more.

The modern man is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: mechanic taking too much interest [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In ordinary circumstances this would be no biggie, but this guy in particular has had access to my bolts and cables. If I dissed him somehow, and he's squirrelly, maybe then something wouldn't get tightened quite enough? Rigggghhhhtttt?

This would make a fantastic plot for the triathlon mystery i've always wanted to write.

Anyway, I'm glad he's out of the shop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at the mechanic from another perspective here.
Funny thing, I have swum, biked & run with the mechanic at my LTS. He seems to attract the crazies in his personal life, one of his training partners (now former) professed she had fallen in love with him & she's married, and told her husband. Then he goes on a run date with a gal he met at a race and within 10 mins of the end of the date she's texting him like crazy, including a pic with very little left to the imagination. I'm having trouble even trying to keep track of all the women and all the stories he's coming back from dates with. He has been told by one of his co-workers (boss's sister) that she needs to approve of any woman he decides to date, since he's been attracting the wrong types recently.
All in all he's a nice guy, but lucky for me I don't find him attractive at all (out of my comfortable age range & just not my type physically). :)

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: mechanic taking too much interest [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha he's obviously doing something right.

The replacement mechanic at my LBS didn't inspire a huge amount of confidence the other day when I walked in to get some tubes, started chatting with him about my bike (a specialized roubaix) and he asks 'which color is that one?'

I think I'll be making the trek out to the city to get my work done :>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ever listen to Cartalk? The hosts are retiring so it isn't around much longer but there was the opposite call the other day. A woman had an older car that she had gotten fixed up and kinda fallen for her mechanic (auto) so she kept breaking stuff to be able to go back until she got the nerve to ask him out. LOL!

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Re: mechanic taking too much interest [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
A lot of women would be flattered by the attention. I want to say "relax" but apparently we're not supposed to say that to women any more.

Would have to agree with this...

Whatever happened to effectively communicating?
Quote Reply
Re: mechanic taking too much interest [ScrapIronSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScrapIronSteve wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

Would have to agree with this...

Whatever happened to effectively communicating?

I agree totally that effective communication is the best way to go. However.

Here's a direct quote from this guy as I'm walking up the stairs in front of him from the basement shop. I'm wearing lycra running tights.

"How can you stand wearing panties when you ride?"

Sooooo if the guy is not the swiftest at effective communication, do you think he'll hear it coming from me? Honest question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that's a fair enough question.:-)

However I can understand your discomfort - you don't want a guy like that messing with your bike when he can't tell the difference between running tights and cycling knicks when his face is about a foot away from your butt..
Quote Reply