Last edited by: Rodred: Nov 4, 13 18:52
Quote Reply
Re: I AM KING UNDER THE MOUNTAIN!!!!! [Rodred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no sound
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And in other news, Chainpin is still working on something big.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When they first started making the LTR movies I was pretty sure they would screw them up. I have been very pleasantly surprised at how well they pulled them off. I liked the way the first Hobbit movie brought more of Tolkein's songs into it. Those were a big part of the books and you didn't see that in the LTR movies.

It is pretty cool to me that I have been reading and watching these stories for around 35 years and they are still some of my favorites.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: I AM KING UNDER THE MOUNTAIN!!!!! [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not been able to make through one LTR movie with zonking out with in the 1st 10 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
When they first started making the LTR movies I was pretty sure they would screw them up. I have been very pleasantly surprised at how well they pulled them off. I liked the way the first Hobbit movie brought more of Tolkein's songs into it. Those were a big part of the books and you didn't see that in the LTR movies.

It is pretty cool to me that I have been reading and watching these stories for around 35 years and they are still some of my favorites.

I've been disappointed. I always found the books to have a gritty realism to them, whereas the movies look cartoonish. I fully realize they probably wouldn't have been nearly as commercially successful but for me they should have been far darker, more medieval looking. In the LOTRs Jackson completely failed to capture the sense of the serious "end of the world" feel, not surprising when you turn a main character into a buffoonish comic relief part. Again, as it stands they basically look like a video game which of course isn't very realistic. They strike me as much more like the post-Tolkien D&D and sword & sorcery fiction phenomena.

Sometimes Jackson is just kitschy, which is a separate issue or maybe not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

There are a lot of little things in the Hobbit that you pick up on when you watch it numerous times. Some things LOTR nerds might only recognize.There are a couple of very subtle references to Narya one of which I picked up on in a scene that had an odd moment in it with another ring bearer.

In the Third Age, Círdan, recognizing Gandalf's true nature as one of the Maiar from Valinor, gave him the ring to aid him in his labours. It is described as having the power to inspire others to resist tyranny, domination, and despair (in other words, evoking hope in others around the wielder), as well as giving resistance to the weariness of time: "Take now this Ring," he said; "for thy labours and thy cares will be heavy, but in all it will support thee and defend thee from weariness. For this is the Ring of Fire, and herewith, maybe, thou shalt rekindle hearts to the valour of old in a world that grows chill" (Círdan the Shipwright to Gandalf).

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: I AM KING UNDER THE MOUNTAIN!!!!! [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been willing to give them more than a little leeway. I still remember going to see the animated LTR movie in the theater at a midnight showing. If I had only known that the only reason they made it was to keep their licensing agreement alive. And the animated Hobbit movie was just barely better.

I choose to ignore the parts that annoy me. Especially that entire Frodo waking up in Gondor sequence.

But I agree, Sam and Frodo are not whiny little babies. And you do lose a lot of sense of the coming apocalypse. That never feels like a real danger in the movies.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
j p o wrote:

I've been disappointed. I always found the books to have a gritty realism to them, whereas the movies look cartoonish. I fully realize they probably wouldn't have been nearly as commercially successful but for me they should have been far darker, more medieval looking. In the LOTRs Jackson completely failed to capture the sense of the serious "end of the world" feel, not surprising when you turn a main character into a buffoonish comic relief part. Again, as it stands they basically look like a video game which of course isn't very realistic. They strike me as much more like the post-Tolkien D&D and sword & sorcery fiction phenomena.

Sometimes Jackson is just kitschy, which is a separate issue or maybe not.

Jackson has done some weird things. I will never understand his treatment of Aragon and Gimli. Aragon is portrayed as a pussy much of the time and Gimli is the equivelant of C3P0. Why I have no idea. As I stated when the Hobbit came out the giant scene was horrific and once again I have no clue why he went that way.

~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
That never feels like a real danger in the movies.

This is the essence of it, without that, they can not be serious.

From a studio perspective Jackson was the right guy to make the movies, perfect Hollywood formulaic blockbusters, as art not so great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rodred wrote:
Jackson has done some weird things. I will never understand his treatment of Aragon and Gimli. Aragon is portrayed as a pussy much of the time and Gimli is the equivelant of C3P0. Why I have no idea. As I stated when the Hobbit came out the giant scene was horrific and once again I have no clue why he went that way.

The LOTR films cost something like $280 million to make. They've earned in the area of $4 billion.

He made those decisions because those are things that sell movie tickets to the widest range of viewers.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: I AM KING UNDER THE MOUNTAIN!!!!! [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I agree that you obviously have to add some fluff but the giant scene right out of the book would have been just fine and a lot less cheesy. A bad ass dwarf would have done fine and the main hero not being a pussy would have been fine. Humor could have been added because lets be honest and say that the book can be a downer at times.

~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got it, but this is how it works. To reach the broadest audience, film makers try to include certain character types. Look at most of these big movie franchises, and you'll find the sensitive hero who has both a tough and a pussy side (Aragorn, Luke/Anakin, Will Turner). You'll find the comic relief duo (C3PO/R2D2, Gimli/Legolas, the two sidekick pirates in the Pirates of the Carribean movies), the strong heroine (Leia, Arwyn, Elizabeth swan).

These character types are familiar to audiences, and they help draw in viewers so the movies make a lot of money.

Obviously, the stories can be told without those characters types. LOTR was hugely successful in it's book forms, long before the movies were made. But studios spend millions on the movies, so they are less willing to depart from the winning formulas. Maybe the movies would have been successful if they were closer to the books. They were very likely to be successful if they were tweaked a bit to fit the formulas. So they tweak, and guarantee big box office numbers.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
I got it, but this is how it works. To reach the broadest audience, film makers try to include certain character types. Look at most of these big movie franchises, and you'll find the sensitive hero who has both a tough and a pussy side (Aragorn, Luke/Anakin, Will Turner). You'll find the comic relief duo (C3PO/R2D2, Gimli/Legolas, the two sidekick pirates in the Pirates of the Carribean movies), the strong heroine (Leia, Arwyn, Elizabeth swan).

These character types are familiar to audiences, and they help draw in viewers so the movies make a lot of money.

Obviously, the stories can be told without those characters types. LOTR was hugely successful in it's book forms, long before the movies were made. But studios spend millions on the movies, so they are less willing to depart from the winning formulas. Maybe the movies would have been successful if they were closer to the books. They were very likely to be successful if they were tweaked a bit to fit the formulas. So they tweak, and guarantee big box office numbers.

Very good analysis! But also a little depressing...
I find it sad that there's so little real novelty in film making. To a large part, you get the same story told over and over again with slightly different details and costumes.
Music is somewhat similar.

Now excuse me while I go looking for my bottle of Johnny Walker...

Cheers,
malte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got my tickets for the 9:00pm- Midnight double feature for my little she-elf and myself! Should be fun.

~
Last edited by: Rodred: Dec 11, 13 13:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surprisingly no illegal copies have shown up on the internet yet, at least none in the usual spots I would look. I am looking forward to this, might even go to a theater for it.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rodred wrote:
Got my tickets for the 9:00pm- Midnight double feature for my little she-elf and myself! Should be fun.

I know you mean your daughter, but to others that might sound a little kinky. Just as long as you call her that because of Rivendell and not because she is older, still believes in Santa, and is stupid.... :)
Quote Reply
Re: I AM KING UNDER THE MOUNTAIN!!!!! [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol yes its my daughter. She hasnt told her mom yet that shes missing school on Friday.

~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rodred wrote:

I made the mistake of taking my son a couple of friends last year, so now I'm on the hook for doing it again this year and the only time it works for us before we leave town for Christmas is Saturday. At least we're in the sticks so hopefully it won't be overly crowded for a matinee on Saturday.

Don't get me wrong, a part of me wants to see it, but not in a crowded theater on opening weekend and not schlepping a bunch of kids to it. My son and I would have been O.K. by me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we're going to wait and catch a Sunday matinee. The crowds shouldn't be too bad.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: I AM KING UNDER THE MOUNTAIN!!!!! [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Normally I'd be there on Saturday morning, when there aren't many crowds, but this week is the Army/Navy game, so I'll probably not see it until next weekend.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get your priorities straight!!!

Under two hours and counting . I am sporting my official wood elf uniform with extra snug insulated tights and +10 to coolness elf bow. Pictures to come later.

~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guy in his late 40's dressed up as Galadriel. Its going to be a fun night.

~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
From a studio perspective Jackson was the right guy to make the movies, perfect Hollywood formulaic blockbusters, as art not so great.

But he earned that reputation *because* of LotR. Prior to that he was just a wacky Kiwi horror film maker. And as an aside with that background it's even more disappointing he never got the "Atmosphere of Doom" thing going properly. Since that's the whole essence of the horror genre.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm taking my daughter to the 12:01am show tonight. It's been a long week and I'm already tired. Gonna be a long day tomorrow.
Quote Reply

Prev Next