Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
DIY Cervelo P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack
Quote | Reply
P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack

There are plenty of posts covering the original Di2 7970 P5 brake shifter hack. I originally built my P5 up this way and things were working great.

You might ask why would you do this vs using the straight ST-9071 Shifter or using the cheaper climbing Di2 E-tube shifter?
1. I have the P5-Six and I wanted to keep my hydraulic shifting.
2. If you use a different solution, you loose the ability to program the firmware correctly. Using this solution, the E-tube software thinks you have the standard ST-9071 levers installed and will allow you to update and change all of the standard functions. Also, if you use the SW-R600, you can only hack the RD.

Here is how I installed everything. If you have any questions let me know!!

Key Parts needed:

1. Di2 E-tube components (FD/RD etc)
  2. 5 Port Junction A Box
  3. ST-9071 Brake/Shifters (Dura Ace)
  4. 2 x Cateye Remote Button Kits - http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1063043_-1_400128__400128
  5. Zip Ties
  6. Silicone Filler (I used loctite)

Key Tools needed:

1. Metric Allen Wrenches
  2. Small Phillips Screw Driver
  3. Small Flat Tip Screw Driver
  4. T10 Torx Wrench
  5. 8mm Wrench
  6. Soldering Iron/Solder
  7. Vice or small parts holder to hold the parts while soldering
  8. Favorite wire/tool to fish cables

Specific Components/E-tube wire Lengths for those interested in upgrading their P5
  1. Downtube Cable: 1000mm
  2. Battery Cable: 300mm
  3. FD Cable: 300mm
  4. RD Cable: 600mm
  5. Junction B Box: Internal - SM-JC41
  6. Junction A Box: 5 Port - SW-EW90B
  7. Bar End Shifters: SW-R671
  8. Brake Lever Shifters: ST-9071
  9. Short Ext Battery Mount: SM-BMR1-S
Process:

Unboxing the ST-9071 Levers:

Old 7970 vs new 9070 - These are the exact same brake lever, just with a different electronic switch attachment

Begin Disassembly:

Remove the two black phillips screws:

Flip the lever over and remove the #10 Torx Screw:

The Button cover will pop open like this:

Remove the outer cover and large springs:

Remove the inner springs (green circle), they have a plastic piece inside the spring that holds it to the inner button, so just give them a tug to separate the two.
Also, slide the silver rod (blue arrow) out and the outer button covers will come off.

Remove the two silver phillips screws and take off the electronic shifting buttons:

The black piece on the left will come right off, the white piece on the right is what you will work with.

Carefully pry the white piece off of the device. It is glued on there. I used a utility knife to do this. You really won't hurt anything if you break the white piece while doing this, but it makes it cleaner if you can get the whole thing off the button system.

After it comes off:

Next use a small flat screw driver to separate the plastic piece of black plastic off the circuit board. It is held on by the four posts that the blue arrows point at. This piece is worthless and might break, but don't worry about it. Just be careful of the circuit board underneath.

Next, dump the little silver buttons off the circuit board, they were held there by the black piece you just removed, so they will fall right off.

Note the contacts that the red arrows point to, these are what you will be soldering your button to.

After the fact, I realized that I forgot to include photos of stripping to the wires of the buttons, but it is pretty simple. I cut of the connector, peeled apart the wires, and used my teeth to strip the wire. Here is the post solder photo. One button per contact.

***Note - Any moment switch will work here. Also the wires can be soldered either way. If you look close I accidentally did the two buttons different here.

Weather sealed:

Wrapped in Electrical tape to keep it safe.

I hate how hard it is to route the cables through the drop bar, but today it went pretty smooth. I pulled out the brake lever.

Fished the wire through:

Removed the back from the button, and slid it through the cable hole.

Buttons attached!!

Quote Reply
Re: DIY Cervelo P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack [veryoriginal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Impressive. I gassed up my lawnmower today but it wouldn't start. I'll try again tomorrow.

-----------------
Dale Stephanos (Formerly PappaD)

Quote Reply
Re: DIY Cervelo P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack [PappaD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did all this, but still haven't taken my 70.3 Oceanside number off my bike yet. (See the last pic on the post)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You got some balls! Not sure I would do this with a pair of 500 $+ brake lever though...

Nice work!

-D
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Cervelo P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack [TriDav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, but why would you drop the cash on a P5 and Di2 9070 and not make it perfect!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now I now why you are "Sooo busy"! I'll be hassling you soon....be prepared. Levers look great though!

veryoriginal wrote:
I did all this, but still haven't taken my 70.3 Oceanside number off my bike yet. (See the last pic on the post)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this were the playground, I'd overcompensate for my insecurity of how lame I am compared to you by kicking you in the nuts and taking your bike.

Nice work, very impressive and very enjoyable thread.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Cervelo P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would probably cry as you sped away.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Cervelo P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack [PappaD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PappaD wrote:
I gassed up my lawnmower today but it wouldn't start. I'll try again tomorrow.

LOL. That's about my level of ability too... It's awesome, but I'm at the point in my life were I'd just pay someone to do this for me. I'd burn the house down and lose a finger.

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you be able to use another set of SW-R671 bar end shifters (cheaper) or would that confuse the system?
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Cervelo P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack [borncrazy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
borncrazy wrote:
Would you be able to use another set of SW-R671 bar end shifters (cheaper) or would that confuse the system?

Any updates on this? Also, the 9071 shifter/brakes are hard to find right now. three different sites have told me the end of the month....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice detail!!!

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Cervelo P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack [dinosarti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Cervelo P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack [borncrazy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks BornCrazy. I saw that in the Cervelo thread and found my way here. I took the plunge ordered the SW-R671 today. It was a bit tricky to find, but I found an on-line retailer that had it in stock and was able to two-air it to me.

I wonder about programing. I already have a set of R671's on the aero bars and wonder if the "brain" will think there are now two sets. I was going to use the 9071 TT Brake/Shifters, but they were hard to source and I hoped I could save $200.

FYI - I have the eTube interface/charger, but I have never used it on the eTube site/software....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey do you have any photos of the splicing/soldering? Also, as others have asked, can you use a pair of SW-R671 rather than the ST-9071?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any updates on how using the second set of SW-R671 on the base bars worked? Were you able to program?

Would like to save the money rather than buying the ST-9071 brake/shifters if I can!
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Cervelo P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack [Teamzero86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is link to my hack with pics....

http://dinosarti.com/...k-out-of-my-di2-9070
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Couple questions...I read a comment you posted that confused me. You said to Jason who was asking about using SW-R600: "@ Jason: Interesting -- I don't know the answer to that re: compatibility. I do know that you can save big money by using ONE button shifter for both the TT and brake area shifting locations. So instead of purchasing FOUR shfiers, you can just use TWO, wiring two switches to each."

Can you explain that a little further?

Also, the soldering the wires is a bit confusing. So inside the sheath of each cateye button are two smaller wires that must be stripped and soldered to a single contact within the housing. I see that in the picture. Must these two wires soldering jobs be completely not touching or does it matter? They look relatively close together in the pictures.

I would install my buttons the same as you described and so does It matter which contact I solder which button to? I.e. Contact closest to the e-tube wire makes derailleur move up and the other makes it move down or is this just determined through the software?

Thanks for your help!
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Cervelo P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack [TonyStark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TonyStark wrote:
Impressive. I gassed up my lawnmower today but it wouldn't start. I'll try again tomorrow.

Great comment and my thoughts exactly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That answer to Jason was not mine. It was posted by someone called "happy runner". I don't know who that is sadly what he is talking about. I think he is actually giving bad info, but in the spirit of free exchange of ideas, I have not edited it.

The cheap way to do it is with a set of bar end shifters. They are cheap to buy and do not require the part to reprogram them. They come out of the box programmed for the front and rear. You just need to mark them or use trial and error ro keep them straight.

Yes, each Cateye wire has two wires inside. There are two terminals inside the button. You must solder each wire to the terminal. It does not matter which is which. What is important is that they do not touch. That will cause a short. When you push the button is will close the circuit. if the wires are touching the circuit will be stuck closed.

One button move up and one moves down. Which terminal is which does not matter. Just use trial and error and then arrange your buttons as desired....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What could possibly be on that circuit board that would prevent this hack from being as easy as a couple momentary switches, some wire, heat shrink tubing and a connector to the junction box?
Instead of buying and ripping up $500 brake handles, you'd need about $20 at Radio Shack.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Cervelo P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The boards are IN the switches. If you want new buttons/switches, you need a new board. They only way to do that is buy a switch/button and repurpose/hack it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you are getting ready to solder the cateye wires to the board, I highly recommend using a small piece of electricians tape to wrap and separate them, just as an added buffer against potential shorts.

Regarding all the people asking about the compatibility of the R671s: the actual Di2 pod is shared between brifters and the bar end shifters, its just the hardware around the pod that differs. Componentry and programability is identical.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Proud member of the GUCrew
Twitter: @tripigeon Blog: Ironpigeon.com
Thoughts on AG sponsorships / community involvement: http://bit.ly/1dQlVDy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand that. I am just curious what makes those boards so special. It seems like the only reason the OP bought the brake handles (lots of money) was for the boards and junction box connector (potentially very cheap to make/buy).

So why doesn't dengfu reverse engineer those boards and sell them for $20 and make $19.50 on each sale?
Quote Reply

Prev Next