Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How was your week? Oct. 21 Edition
Quote | Reply
Hope everyone is doing well.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 21 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My goals had been over 10k swim (done) ride twice (none) run 50 ish miles (done). And do well with food. 6/7 there.
I almost ran a half marathon PR Saturday - PR is 1:34:55 and I ran 1:35:20. 2nd AG of 68, I am very happy. Between that and a good nap and some time to study fun stuff (foreign language :-) I had a really good weekend.
Goals for this week are over 10k swim, use bike to commute to school at least a couple times (done this morning!), run keep it under 45 miles (which I plan to do by keeping daily runs under an hour, take 1-2 days off, and do 1 long run).

M - 8 mi run + 4500 yd swim
T - 8 mi run + 1500 yd swim
W - 10 mi run + 3100 yd swim
T - 4 mi run
F - 4 mi run + 4000 yd swim
S - half marathon, 1:35:20
S - 8 mi easy + some lifting

Totals 13,100 yd swim + 55.1 mi run + 3 mi walking

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the half TC!

Last week's goals:
Run x 6 - WIN
Bike x 2 - FAIL with 1.
Swim x 4 - FAIL with 3. Pool closed due to fouling on Saturday.
Core/strength x 3 - WIN
Shake the idiot cold that I seem to have caught - WINning the battle. Still a bit sniffly.

This week's goals:
Run x 4
Bike x 1
Swim x 2
Core/strength w/focus on mobility & stretching
Keep nutrition in check; the cold weather is making me hungry!

Last race of the year on Saturday - Horror Hill 6-hour trail ultra. Legs are feeling ok after the 50k on Oct. 5th, so hopefully I'll make it through all right. No goals; just want to have fun!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Nice work on the half!

My week was a fitness disaster. My work got out of control by Wednesday and I was tired and didn't eat well so I didn't run at all until a fun 5k yesterday. I'd had a personal training appointment for Saturday but that got cancelled so I did nothing.

Goal: 2x/weights and 6x/running. Daily food tracking. Lose 1 pound.
Reality: 1x/weights and 2x/running. Tracked sporadically and gained 1 pound.

Reboot this week.

Weights 2x
Run 6x
Track food every day
Lose that pound I gained

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job on the half!

I had two really good workouts with the trainer last week. On Thursday we even did 3 giant tire flips (167 pounds - he weighed them). But the rest of the week wasn't so good. I am having a very hard time getting out of bed in the morning so I get nothing done. I need to rectify this immediately.

This week the goal will be to do something daily. I'm actually posting from a plane on my way to San Diego for work so maybe a few jogs in Solana Beach are on order.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week was in the crapper. I missed 2.5 days of work and went to the dr. No drugs. Apparently I've "only been sick for 6 days" and I'm "not that bad".

So I went for a 3mi short easy run on Friday, felt good to get out there. ahhhhh....
Then we raced back to back CX races on Sat/Sun.
Sat. went well, I got 3rd and had a blast!
Sun. was not as fun, large large field (like 40!!) and I was mid-pack. I had a good start (usually do) and then the 'traffic' that I'm not used to was tough. The ladies were quite choppy and aggressive.
I'm used to just having men pass me, and when they do, they're actually usually really nice about it. These ladies, no.
But it was a good experience. Course probably wasn't suited to me either... lots of come to an almost stop in order to make a 180 turn stuff.
I made a bunch of mistakes, blew through the tape 3x and even broke a plastic stake. After that I turned a bit chicken.
But oh well. It's good to race in those types of conditions. Hopefully it makes me a better racer.

This week: Get back to 'normal' and eliminate the rest of this lingering sickness through exercise. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 21 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course the guys are nice when they pass - they aren't racing you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skated SS twice - joined for the season - and THEN saw the real pricetag - holy crap the sport is expensive. But, so was triathlon I guess...
Ran 3x including a XC race with Khai on the weekend, we both managed 3rd place Masters haha! Had to hit the ice right after the race, and man I was cooked by the end of that session.

This week: run 3x which *may* include the provincial XC champs on Sat (to be determined if I'll go or not); SS twice; who knows what else - at least try to get out at lunch every day at work even if only for a short walk. Says she who worked through lunch again. :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 21 Edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
On Thursday we even did 3 giant tire flips (167 pounds - he weighed them).

Oh my gosh, I don't think I could move something that big a milimeter!

Thanks for all the congrats.
Day 2 of bike commuting here!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job TC!!!

Mistressk - my marathon is on Saturday. I'll probably run half the time (OK, maybe a bit more - goal at least 3:30) than you. I'll remember you when I start to feel sorry for myself. I'll tell myself that at least I'm not having to run for 6 hours :). Good luck

Taper week
run little
swim a little more.
Marathon on Saturday. Send positive vibes my way!

Happy training.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 21 Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best wishes for the taper week! I will be thinking of you on Saturday!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GOOD LUCK to you & MistressK! I am not an ultra distance girl and admire you gals for having the grit to do the distance!

My week - I need to get back into the swing of things - was rear-ended on my commute home a couple of weeks ago and suffered whiplash and a concussion. Then a colleague died suddenly so I've been in a bit of a tail spin. Its tough with students when a fellow teacher dies.

Am getting back at it - time has healed the wounds from the car accident and hopefully time will heal the psyche.

Miss queen of the sprint events (me) has gotten herself talked into an ultra event. A masters swim mate wanted to put together a masters women relay for the Atlantic City Challenge event at the end of June. I am now the cyclist for our relay so I need to get back on my bike and get ready to ride 112miles! I've set a goal of 6hours and I need to get cracking!!!! It's a good thing that I love to ride and really love my new bike. I am going to get my $$$ worth out of her!

Goals this week:
Ride 3x with short run after two of the rides
Run 5x (mostly short with one long)
Swim 3x w/masters group
Strength 1x

Am keeping the riding at endurance pace for now - want to build distance/endurance by doing lots of EZ tempo riding while the weather is still nice. Once weather turns cold, will bring some intensity in on the trainer with steady state intervals.

Happy training all!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having a recovery week really helped. I needed a mental break and to SLOWLY ease back into this - my coach saw that I was skipping the 2-hour rides, but happily putting in the 30-min runs. My legs were feeling /heavy/ so it was good to have break days, especially when I'm easing back into work. Of course, it's an AWFUL schedule. I'm a lady who likes to wake up at the same time, eat the same things, eat at the same times, and go to bed at the same time - every single day. So having 7am meetings and 10-11:30pm meetings (I officially hate the other side of the globe) makes it hard. I'm planning to leave work at 3 today to go home, get in my 30-min run, and take a nap.

Anyway, enough whining.

I did a 30 min bike trainer ride, 2.5 hours of walking in a theme park (and holy cow I didn't eat the crap food!!!!!!!!!!!), and 30 minutes of outside biking on my mountain bike. The weather is cooling down, which makes it easier on my brain to plan a long ride or run. I had a wardrobe malfunction the night before my 10k - I was testing my costume and the zipper broke :( Totally bummed me out, so I just didn't go. I've been looking forward to running in that costume for MONTHS. C'est la vie.

My diet has been a lot better lately. I bring fiber 1 bars for an afternoon snack at work and when I go out to drink, I've been avoiding the crap food. Another favorite thing about the colder weather: soup appeals again. Yay for so many tasty, filling, low-cal soup options!

So, next week's big goal is to run more. That being said, I have 8-7 work meetings for 4 straight days, and one day has a team dinner after. *sigh*

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After a round of appointments with docs, PT, etc, and a weekend of trying out the distances, I've been cleared to toe the start line at a HIM this weekend. I'm so psyched! Even though I'll be out to finish rather than race, I am so excited to back at it again. My goal is to finish with a smile on my face and my back and hips happy.

Got a long night of wrapping up work, packing, pilling the cat and other assorted chores to go, and then it's off to the race site tomorrow!

Did I mention I am SO EXCITED!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 21 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YEAH FOR YOU!!!! Good luck, have fun and really glad to hear you are on the up & up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Enjoy!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 21 Edition [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, you know what I'm talking about, don't ya? Still excited!

Thanks, TC.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 21 Edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great job on the diet front! that's really hard for me. well done!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the good wishes - the weather is supposed to be utter crap (6c/43f with strong winds and rain), so I'm just hoping I can stay warm! When the course gets muddy and parts get impossible to traverse at anything above a walk, it's easy to get chilled.

Best of luck to nad and Tri3! Go rawk it ladies!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
hooray! i'm very excited for you. good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 21 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Figured that was the case. The what seemed to be meanness was a tad surprising.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats on the half! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I was at SUCH an awful high weight after the wedding stress (and taking off training for over a month). Being back at work and busy is a big help - not sitting around on my ass, eating out of boredom and starting to drink too early in the day. I peaked at 148 and just about threw up from disgust - not that it would have been helpful first thing in the am - but am down to 142 as of this am. That tends to be where my body settles when I'm working all day, eating moderately, and doing light exercise, so as I pick up the cadence of training, I'll slowly push down to race form.

I have BIG goals for next year and don't want to have to do last minute catching up. I failed at being in good shape for my wedding, and while that meant I didn't have to get my dress tailored, it would mean no good for big races.

You are all SUCH amazing motivation - reading about your epic workouts, mega accomplishments, and the constant hard work inspires me!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 21 Edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agilecipher wrote:
Thanks! I was at SUCH an awful high weight after the wedding stress (and taking off training for over a month). Being back at work and busy is a big help - not sitting around on my ass, eating out of boredom and starting to drink too early in the day. I peaked at 148 and just about threw up from disgust - not that it would have been helpful first thing in the am - but am down to 142 as of this am. That tends to be where my body settles when I'm working all day, eating moderately, and doing light exercise, so as I pick up the cadence of training, I'll slowly push down to race form.

I have BIG goals for next year and don't want to have to do last minute catching up. I failed at being in good shape for my wedding, and while that meant I didn't have to get my dress tailored, it would mean no good for big races.

What are those goals? And do you have a training plan? You can totally accomplish what you set out to do, but I've learned the hard way that consistency is best - so keep posting here and let us know what you're working for and we'll help you all we can.

You are all SUCH amazing motivation - reading about your epic workouts, mega accomplishments, and the constant hard work inspires me!

Thanks for the kind words. That means a lot to me.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 21 Edition [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are going to LOVE the relay! I did Challenge Penticton, the run. The run itself sucked for me but the entire race day and days leading into it were awesome. I think our cyclist had the best slot. She didn't have to get up early and got done with enough time to get good food in the athlete's area.

You could be done in time for you to see the winners come through the finish!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply

Prev Next