Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SciCon evolution vs Bike Box Allan
Quote | Reply
There's a huge price difference... I was thinking of going with the bike box allan but then I looked at videos and it seems like the hard shell case is very flimsy and not very sturdy..

How would you guys rate the durability of these two cases and the protection offered?
Quote Reply
Re: SciCon evolution vs Bike Box Allan [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
125mph wrote:
There's a huge price difference... I was thinking of going with the bike box allan but then I looked at videos and it seems like the hard shell case is very flimsy and not very sturdy..

How would you guys rate the durability of these two cases and the protection offered?

I asked the same question in this forum last January 17th. Look up and see replies. Decided to buy the Scicon and have shipped my P4 7X....once by plane, 6X by FedX. Very sturdy and have had no problems......sturdy, excellent built-in padding, good handles, sturdy wheels, easy to pack/unpack. Note in replies from the January discussion that you can't use the BikeBox Alan protective pole with a disc wheel inside. I bought mine on sale from ProBikeKit for about the same price as the Bike Box Alan. Don't currently see the Scicon listed on their website but you might want to contact them.
ps...the newer model Scicons, like mine, now come with TSA key locks so they don't have to cut anything to open the case
Last edited by: gphin305: Oct 21, 13 18:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TSA in Las Vegas destroyed my SciCon Evolution by cutting open the locks a couple of years ago. They didn't close the lid properly and the hard shell cracked when it was loaded for the flight home. As the TSA blamed the airline and the airline blamed the TSA we received zero compensation.

Not wanting to spend as much money to have the same issue we switched to Bike Box Allan and have got nothing but good things to say about it. While the hard shell case may seem less sturdy by comparison the anti-crush pole seems to do the trick, and even if the pole is not completely properly. Ironically, the only time this has happened was the next (and last) time we had to go through the TSA (in Houston last year) even though we travel with the bike internationally two or three times every year. For some reason the TSA did not anchor the anti-crush pole in the correct place on the lid of the box. The hard shell would have been subject to much more stress than normal when it was loaded for the flight home but both the bike and the box survived completely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used a BBA for about three years. I honestly have no idea how you could crush anything in it. That thing could withstand a tank driving over it. The only drawback is that, as said, the crush bar doesn't work with a disc, but to be honest, I have no idea how that could be an issue. I've used it on a bunch of long-haul carriers and have never had a problem (other than it's a bit heavy).

BBA is a terrific product.
Quote Reply