Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling in Kauai?
Quote | Reply
I'm vacationing in Kauai, Hawaii in February and have my first IM the next month (IM cabo)... so I'd like to get some good long rides in while im in Kauai.

Are the roads safe for cycling? Lots of good paths? if not, should i be mountain biking there instead? Not the same as training for a tri but better than nothing?
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Kauai? [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From Poipu, its not bad. Go to old town and head out 530 (Koloa Rd) to 50, do 540 loop back onto 50 and head to the end of the island going west. You can climb up Waimea canyon, go up east side from town of Waimea then turn back down west side on Kokee road. Its a few miles up and a few really steep pitches. I've never ridden a bike all the way to the top, only where the road forks. Go early, traffic wasn't too bad and there is a little shoulder on most of 50, none going up canyon but it didn't seem bad. Past Waimea going west, there isn't much of anything. Goes maybe 10 miles past Waimea to the end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was there last year. The roads on the east side of the island near Wailua and Kapaa were very crowded...wouldn't suggest riding there at all. It was also pretty congested going up Hwy 56 to Hanalei, with single lane bridges that can really back traffic up in the tourist season. However, as the other post noted, the southern part of the island further west isn't bad.

Spot

Quote | Reply
Stay off the roads from the airport to hanalei. Go the other direction from the airport to poipou and up to the volcano. It is not the greatest riding traffic wise, but the alternative is horrible. One lane road each way with almost no bike lane, and a ton of tourists all rubbernecking the beautiful landscapes. Bit more of a shoulder the other way. If you are out in princeville area, then just ride to the end of the road and back, or do the loop off the main hwy at sleeping giant. Not much road either way, but both are at least dead ends or off hwy loops that have a little less traffic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would help if you told us where you would be staying...

Like others have said, it sucks... but sucks less on the SW side... which was unfortunately far from where I lived.

I lived there 3 years (in Kapaa). I think around Feb one year was when it rained relentlessly for 50 days in a row... but that is unusual. At any rate be ready for rain, wear bright clothing, and bring good front and rear lights for visibility.

Oh... MTB. Someone told me there is a new dirt trail that goes all the way from the W to N side fairly near the beach. Call the bike shop in Kapaa about that. Trails in the foothills are usually muddy and quite challenging.
Last edited by: rruff: Oct 21, 13 11:33
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Kauai? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Would help if you told us where you would be staying...

Like others have said, it sucks... but sucks less on the SW side... which was unfortunately far from where I lived.

I lived there 3 years (in Kapaa). I think around Feb one year was when it rained relentlessly for 50 days in a row... but that is unusual. At any rate be ready for rain, wear bright clothing, and bring good front and rear lights for visibility.

I'm staying in Poipu. I'm checking out google maps and the 50 looks okay, had a shoulder.. Doesn't look very long though. I'm going to anaylzie the strava segments and the google maps more tonight to see what kind of route I can take.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you ride up the canyon take plenty of water. There is a restroom facility along the way, but the water isn't drinkable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only rode to Poipu a few times... as I recall the roads were quite narrow. A shoulder is no guarantee even if there is one. Usually they are covered with debris, especially if there have been recent storms.

I'd often ride from Kapaa to Hanapepe, cutting over on 540. When you get farther west of there the traffic lessens and it's drier with less stuff on the road.

If you want to ride up Waimea Canyon (and it's an awesome climb), the Kokee Rd is your best bet... not a lot of traffic.

BTW, poor road safety didn't keep me from riding all over the island... but it is definitely the most dangerous road riding I've done.

I was there 7 years ago, so some things may have changed...
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Kauai? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We were there for two weeks for our honeymoon last year (Koa Kea resort in Poipu). Did a lot of running but no riding. However we drove a lot, especially around the south and southwest side. Based on those treks, you should be able to get some decent rides in there. But be prepared for a lot of up and down topo. It is a volcanic island after all!

We loved it there.

Quote | Reply
Just got back from vacation there yesterday. Drove most of the island. Was thinking that although amazingly beautiful, would not be the best for riding. The roads on the south and west portions of the island are probably the best - shoulders or bike lanes for a lot of it. I hardly saw any people on bikes, and only saw two actual cyclists during the week I was there - and they were riding up to waimea canyon on mountain bikes. So you'll be the anomoly and I doubt drivers are expecting cyclists - so be sure to wear bright clothes and have a head and taillight. The roads themselves seem great - it's just the traffic and lack of side roads that will make it tough/dangerous.

That said - you can get in some fantastic long hikes and runs, and swim in lydgate which is probably protected enough that you'd be ok even in winter. I think there's a lot of dirt roads, so depending on the weather, a mt bike would be a good alternative.

Quote | Reply
When are you in Kauai? I'm heading there Feb 10 - 22 and would be keen to do some rides... not necessarily IM distance rides but a few long rides nonetheless?
PM me and we'll see if we can work out a plan to catch up if our schedules cross over.
Quote Reply