Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Misinformation works!
Quote | Reply
Indeed, Mr. Paul.

Quote:
Rand Paul was talking with University of Louisville medical students when one of them tossed him a softball. "The majority of med students here today have a comprehensive exam tomorrow. I'm just wondering if you have any last-minute advice."
"Actually, I do," said the ophthalmologist-turned-senator, who stays sharp (and keeps his license) by doing pro bono eye surgeries during congressional breaks. "I never, ever cheated. I don't condone cheating. But I would sometimes spread misinformation. This is a great tactic. Misinformation can be very important."

He went on to describe studying for a pathology test with friends in the library. "We spread the rumor that we knew what was on the test and it was definitely going to be all about the liver," he said. "We tried to trick all of our competing students into over-studying for the liver" and not studying much else.

"So, that's my advice," he concluded. "Misinformation works."

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Misinformation works! [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if he and his friends also did the same for tests in their medical ethics class. Or maybe that wasn't core curriculum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wrong, wrong, wrong . . .

That's just wrong, wrong, wrong . . .

I feel for those poor students.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Indeed, Mr. Paul.

Quote:

Rand Paul was talking with University of Louisville medical students when one of them tossed him a softball. "The majority of med students here today have a comprehensive exam tomorrow. I'm just wondering if you have any last-minute advice."
"Actually, I do," said the ophthalmologist-turned-senator, who stays sharp (and keeps his license) by doing pro bono eye surgeries during congressional breaks. "I never, ever cheated. I don't condone cheating. But I would sometimes spread misinformation. This is a great tactic. Misinformation can be very important."

He went on to describe studying for a pathology test with friends in the library. "We spread the rumor that we knew what was on the test and it was definitely going to be all about the liver," he said. "We tried to trick all of our competing students into over-studying for the liver" and not studying much else.

"So, that's my advice," he concluded. "Misinformation works."

You do understand that misinformation is a common tactic of all politicians and the ugly truth is, well he was being "honest". Then again, we don't know for a fact that he actually said this, it is possible that a political opponent is saying he said it. After all, misinformation works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You (and Rand) are spreading misinformation about misinformation.

What Rand is describing is "disinformation" or what I like to call 'lying.' Misinformation is unintentional. What he's describing is intentional.
Quote Reply
Re: Misinformation works! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to mention, a total douchebag move.

I remember the rumors in law school about students hiding (or intentionally misplacing) certain documents in the library so that others couldn't access them. The school made it very clear that any student caught doing anything like that would be severely disciplined.

At my firm, we've had cases where summer associates (law student we hire for the summer after the second year of law school) intentionally tried to undermine other summer associates, thinking that the job was a competition. Anyone caught doing that would not get an offer to come back after graduation.

If this story is true, then Rand Paul just admitted to being a total douchebag.
Quote Reply
Re: Misinformation works! [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Rand Paul just admitted to being a total douchebag."

He found his niche - politics rather than private practise.
Quote Reply
Re: Misinformation works! [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At first I couldn't understand what would motivate a person to spread a rumour causing people to study the wrong thing. Then I thought, would this not cause his grades to move positively if graded on a bell curve and artificially inflate his academic standing?
Quote Reply
Re: Misinformation works! [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya it is kind of like a race, only so many competing and you will be judged by how far up the podium you end up. This would be like someone running or cycling in a group through an aid station, and knocking every bottle or cup out of the hands of the volunteers as you lead through the station. A real douche move for sure but probably not against the rules technically. Very bad form and sportsmanship, just like rand and his misinformation. I wonder if that is all it was for our 2;50+ marathon political VP candidate stud, just some harmless misinformation.

And admitting it just makes you look stupid as well as a douche, if you are going to lie at least be smart enough to hide it..So now you are an idiot and a douche, nice move..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://youtube.com/watch?v=n7zfnbdyAW8

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
At first I couldn't understand what would motivate a person to spread a rumour causing people to study the wrong thing. Then I thought, would this not cause his grades to move positively if graded on a bell curve and artificially inflate his academic standing?

I spent a short period working for a university in Australia. Basically most grading was done according to a "curve", a normal distribution curve. Getting a higher grade was not about getting a high absolute score according to the grading criteria, it was all about doing "better" relative to everyone else. Dragging down others' score could move you higher in the ranking and grading as much as getting a better grade on an absolute grading criteria.
Quote Reply
Re: Misinformation works! [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never understood grading on curve, it promotes this kind of mentality and with relatively small class sizes it's very much a 'luck of the draw' scenario, where depending on the talents of your classmates you may sail through with meh scores, or struggle grade-wise despite very high marks. Grade based on results, not peers.

But yea, d-bag move from Paul; at a minimum, though, he's a politician who will admit he plays the game, most politicians are just wolves in sheeps clothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love how everyone blames the person starting the rumor and not the lazy students for trying to take the easy way out. They were outsmarted and out workerd. Shame on them on both counts.

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Last edited by: Rodred: Oct 19, 13 10:10
Quote Reply
Re: Misinformation works! [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
I've never understood grading on curve, it promotes this kind of mentality and with relatively small class sizes it's very much a 'luck of the draw' scenario, where depending on the talents of your classmates you may sail through with meh scores, or struggle grade-wise despite very high marks. Grade based on results, not peers.

disagree completely. we now live in an era of "all winners" and in the academic world that = grade inflation. as such, it's almost impossible for universities/companies to distinguish between different candidates. i went to a career fair back in grad school where i met a recruiter that said sarcastically "another 4.0 gpa. do they hand these out here?"

but it gets to "what is the point of the grade?" if you want to show mastery of a subject, yes it's fine for everyone to make an A (pass), but if the point is differentiate the potential capabilities of students the curve is a necessary evil.

Oh yeah!
Quote Reply
Re: Misinformation works! [duffman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or we could stop pussifying our children and stop the everyone gets a trophy mentality. We aren't doing them any favors.

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just an observation of the grandest flaw of the bell curve - would you want a doctor that had a real life 20% average in anatomy but due to the quality of his class peers had 5.0 GPA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Just an observation of the grandest flaw of the bell curve - would you want a doctor that had a real life 20% average in anatomy but due to the quality of his class peers had 5.0 GPA?

Would you want that doctor or one of his class peers?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Misinformation works! [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't want any of them, I can not for the life of me, get my head wrapped around the validity of using a bell curve for grading anything other than to meet a some screwed up quota system that requires a certain number to fail and pass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
I wouldn't want any of them, I can not for the life of me, get my head wrapped around the validity of using a bell curve for grading anything other than to meet a some screwed up quota system that requires a certain number to fail and pass.

Agreed. And to burnman's point, someone else brought it up but if everyone is getting A's in a typical class then maybe the curriculum isn't challenging enough and comprehensive enough to prepare the student for their career. Grading on a curve just hides that fact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If a doctor were truly incompetent it would be obvious to his supervisor during residency. Do you truly believe good grades (when everyone gets an A) demonstrate mastery of the subject matter? I know lots of folks with good grades who lack critical thinking skills and the understanding of how to actually apply concepts to real work/problems.

Oh yeah!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and duffman the problem with supervisors is that often people skills mean more than technical skills.
Quote Reply