Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Core & Strength, Anyone?
Quote | Reply
Is it worth it? I do them, but sometimes I don't know if it's worth the time. Should I do an ez run or swim instead? I know core is integral, but that can be done on the living room floor with the family.

I do 2 strength training sessions a week. I try to do 4-5 core sessions. My strength takes about 45 mins and looks a little like this:

lat pulldowns
abbductor, adductor machine
bicep curls on the bosu (ball side down, so standing on the flat portion)
triceps on the bosu
one leg stands on the bosu while doing running motion with my arms
lunge and twist with 22 lb weight
step ups with 17.5 lb weight in each hand (just stepping onto the workout bench and back down again)
one legged squat (butt to workout bench)
hamstring guy on the swiss ball (rolling ball with my feet/calves with a weight tucked in between my legs)
Bunch of pushups (regular, one leg in the air, feet on the medicine ball, legs sqeezing bosu)

If strength is worth it, what are you guys doing?

Thanks for the advice!
Quote Reply
Re: Core & Strength, Anyone? [clairec2007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it is worth it and will always be. I do pilates on the reformer and mat as well various forms of yoga. Years ago I stopped lifting weights and have damn nearly no strength now so I go with the light stuff and really focus on any exercise I do rather than just doing it.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/...0071/NSECTIONGROUP=2

Quote | Reply
Tough to answer without more info.

What is your strength like now? Your body composition? Any muscle imbalances? Weaknesses? Injuries?

In your strength sessions, how many reps are you doing? How many sets? What do you feel like at the end?

What does your current SBR training program consist of, not only the time but the quality (intensity) of the sessions? What are your goals? What is your exercise background?

I'm not trying to be a PITA--promise:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've just re-upped with my old strength trainer who will brutalise my poor slow-twitch bod. Needing somebody to act as enforcer is pretty lame, but I've learned the hard way that I won't do it on my own. In the twelve months away I found that I'd get injured more easily . . . and really noticed the difference carrying the bike up stairs.

I'm not sure it pays off directly for the triathlon disciplines (meaning riding hills is a lot more specifically effective than squatting with weight or whatever). And it's not fun -- anything resembling a pullup pushup or barbell squat feels like a chore. But, when I'm doing this stuff I feel pretty bombproof and think it's worth swapping out a long run to get there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're doing isolation exercises like bicep curls then probably not - big, compound movements (squat, deadlift, lunge, push/pull) are always good to keep a healthy human body in working order, as well as working on any imbalances or sport-specific supporting muscles.

I do adductor, gluteus medius and lateral hip rotator work because of prior running injuries and find that lack of attention to them will result in future injury. I lift some heavy things because it's good for me and feels good. All of this is accomplished in 15-20mins Mon-Thurs mornings before work, in my livingroom with a few basic supplies: barbell & dumbbells with plates, a resistance band, a 25lb kettlebell and some 5-8lb hand weights.

When I reach my 50s, if I'm still able to portage a canoe or go backpacking, I'm pretty sure it'll be more a result of lifting things that maintain my muscle mass and bone density than from swim, bike, run.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Oct 17, 13 10:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My coach dedicates one of my workouts a week to strength training and it's mostly core. I do a lot of work on the bosu to strengthen ankles and hips (my weak spots) but your core will always be the main driver of strength.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: Core & Strength, Anyone? [Push] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Push wrote:

What is your strength like now? Your body composition? Any muscle imbalances? Weaknesses? Injuries?
I don't really know how strong I am now. I can do 3.7 w/kg for 30 mins on the bike. I have 20% body fat. My right side is stronger than my left. No injuries other than tight hips--I'm getting ready for a December marathon now.

In your strength sessions, how many reps are you doing? How many sets? What do you feel like at the end?
I normally do 1 rep of 15 with the weight stuff. About 5 sets of 10 pushups. Core can be all different. I look up core routines on youtube a lot. I don't feel that fatigued when I'm done. However, I do noticed that if I do strength in the afternoon then swim the next morning, my arms can be a little tired.

What does your current SBR training program consist of, not only the time but the quality (intensity) of the sessions? What are your goals? What is your exercise background?
My ultimate goal is to KQ. I did the 70.3 WC in September. When I was gearing up for my A race in September I was doing about 13-15 hours total. 2 hours swim, 6 hours bike, 4.5 run, 1:30 strength and core. Here's a sample week:

Monday: EZ swim, strength
Tuesday: Run hill repeats
Wed: 1 hour swim with a 900 TT, 7 mile hill run
Thurs: 1.5 hour hilly bike
Fri: 1650 straight swim
Sat: hard swim, strength
Sun: 2:30 bike with some surges, 1:00 brick run with a lot of hills

Not a PITA at all! I appreciate the help! I'm just wondering if I could have ran or swam more during the strength. I mean, would I get more out of an addtional 1.5 hours of relaxed running with some core and maybe some pushups throw in there? Or, should I keep doing the strength training?
Quote Reply
Re: Core & Strength, Anyone? [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed! I can have some tight hips! My hips don't lie....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
clairec2007 wrote:
Push wrote:

I don't really know how strong I am now. I can do 3.7 w/kg for 30 mins on the bike. I have 20% body fat. My right side is stronger than my left. No injuries other than tight hips--I'm getting ready for a December marathon now.

I normally do 1 rep of 15 with the weight stuff. About 5 sets of 10 pushups. Core can be all different. I look up core routines on youtube a lot. I don't feel that fatigued when I'm done. However, I do noticed that if I do strength in the afternoon then swim the next morning, my arms can be a little tired.

My ultimate goal is to KQ. I did the 70.3 WC in September. When I was gearing up for my A race in September I was doing about 13-15 hours total. 2 hours swim, 6 hours bike, 4.5 run, 1:30 strength and core. Here's a sample week:

Monday: EZ swim, strength
Tuesday: Run hill repeats
Wed: 1 hour swim with a 900 TT, 7 mile hill run
Thurs: 1.5 hour hilly bike
Fri: 1650 straight swim
Sat: hard swim, strength
Sun: 2:30 bike with some surges, 1:00 brick run with a lot of hills

Not a PITA at all! I appreciate the help! I'm just wondering if I could have ran or swam more during the strength. I mean, would I get more out of an addtional 1.5 hours of relaxed running with some core and maybe some pushups throw in there? Or, should I keep doing the strength training?

Well, that looks like a pretty rigorous schedule. Your runs all have a hills component and hills are considered "strength" and quality days. I don't see any easy running in there. It is possible that your run might improve and you could potentially reduce your risk of injury just by having some additional easy mileage. That being said, I wouldn't add another easy swim. You're swimming 4x/week now, and I don't think another easy day in the water would gain you much. Perhaps you could experiment by doing a period of 4-6 weeks of no ST or significantly reduced ST, and add in that EZ run, and see how your body responds? Another reason to add the run would just be to increase your weekly mileage as you prepare to transition from 70.3-IM.

You know you're stronger on your right than your left, and your current lifting regimen has you doing quite a bit of stability and single-sided work, which is good. As mistressk suggested, I would focus on bigger exercises and drop things like bicep and tricep curls. I am a big fan of body weight exercises--pushes, pulls, single legged squats, and lunges (with all the variations you can get pretty far)--and it looks like you're doing a lot of this stuff, so that's awesome :)

Now, if you were specifically trying to change your body composition and get you BF lower (and I'm not saying that you necessarily should), I would encourage you to keep both strength days (perhaps add a third session), and might encourage you to increase your weight in areas where you can so that you are hitting fatigue (really can't continue to do more reps without sacrificing form) in less than 10 reps. 5 x 10 sets of pushes? I would encourage you to try some sets of 15 or even 20.

Ugh, I haven't really given you any firm answers and just more to think about. Sorry :/

-----

You asked us what we do. I am in a period of only doing SBR as my BF is very low yet my weight is higher than I'd like it for tris and I am wondering if I actually lost some muscle mass, if I might be faster, particularly on the run. I have never had an extended period of not doing strength training, and I miss it, but I am one of those women who can really build mass. I am still doing core, and I shoot for a solid ten minutes of that a day.
Quote Reply
Re: Core & Strength, Anyone? [Push] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Push wrote:
I am one of those women who can really build mass.

I'm right there with you - I'm built more like a sprinter than a distance athlete, and all I have to do is look at something heavy to gain muscle mass. I do, however, find myself powering up hills that willowy little girls seem to struggle with on run courses, so there's something to be said for lugging this big butt and thighs around. I'd also rather be strong for the non-tri stuff in life, but then again I have no Kona goals or anything of the like; only really racing against myself.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:
If you're doing isolation exercises like bicep curls then probably not - big, compound movements (squat, deadlift, lunge, push/pull) are always good to keep a healthy human body in working order, as well as working on any imbalances or sport-specific supporting muscles.

I do adductor, gluteus medius and lateral hip rotator work because of prior running injuries and find that lack of attention to them will result in future injury. I lift some heavy things because it's good for me and feels good. All of this is accomplished in 15-20mins Mon-Thurs mornings before work, in my livingroom with a few basic supplies: barbell & dumbbells with plates, a resistance band, a 25lb kettlebell and some 5-8lb hand weights.

When I reach my 50s, if I'm still able to portage a canoe or go backpacking, I'm pretty sure it'll be more a result of lifting things that maintain my muscle mass and bone density than from swim, bike, run.

Cheers!

-mistress k

I agree w/ this. Lift using many muscle groups at once. Use the strengthening exercises to help weak spots, or areas prone to injuries. And also as women, to help w/ upper body strength and to maintain muscle mass. All excellent reasons to continue to lift 2-3 x week. It won't directly help your tri's but it will help you w/ life. Much more useful.
Quote Reply
Re: Core & Strength, Anyone? [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
And also as women, to help w/ upper body strength and to maintain muscle mass.

And bone density!
When I make time to do strength work, I work on glutes and then I do rotator cuff exercises for swimming.
I also do pull ups on the assisted pull up machine (this requires offsetting nearly all of my weight). The motivation for that is really because if I could do a pull up without the machine (which would require practicing it way more than I do), I could show it off to the guy I like back in Maine :P
I actually want to get back into lifting, it would be good for my bones...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Core & Strength, Anyone? [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:

hey, I'm well into that decade, still carrying 80lb canoes around.. and 65lb backpacks (begin at 35lbs, it goes up as the Boy Scouts start to flag and give me things to carry ;-)
Run works well for muscle mass and bone density, swim for muscle mass, bike, well..
consistent weight work since early 40s, has helped I believe. This includes core because of back problems that the core work alleviates..
Quote Reply
Re: Core & Strength, Anyone? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
consistent weight work since early 40s, has helped I believe. This includes core because of back problems that the core work alleviates..

Oh my, yes - I was told back in 2000 that I'd never do anything athletic again because of back issues, some of which started when I was just a kid. In my mid-30's now and have fewer back issues than I ever remember, and the start of the relief was when I began doing yoga & pilates.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I've just started doing Cross-fit. Ssshhhhh......Keep it a secret. Lots of haters on ST about this topic. My coach said it's okay for me. For the past 3 years I have either done weights, or TRX 3 times a week in the off-season months and part of the beginning on my race season. This year I wanted to switch it up and try cross-fit. So far, it's been going really well and I think it is definately going to make me stronger overall. Good Luck!

Jen Yanda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for this thread, everyone. I just stepped into the weight-machine area of the local university after a long hiatus. I was suprised how tight everything was, esp. shoulders, pecs, hips. It felt good to use the glute machine, the abductor/adductor machines, and the pec flye machine. It was interesting that I felt more balanced afterward, too ... like my right half and my left half were saying hello to one another. Amazing to me how much of a total-body effort fitness can be! Hard to fit it all into a normal person's work week, but I'm gonna resolve to add at least one "formal" weight session per week to start, low resistance, higher reps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the past 2-3 months, I've incorporated pilates (both mat and reformer) into my training and it is paying off in the pool. I haven't changed my swim workouts and my times in the pool have dropped. Also, swimming with the band has become A LOT easier!
Quote Reply
Re: Core & Strength, Anyone? [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, thanks for the help, everyone! My short term goal is to KQ....when you have a few long distance races under your belt, who's isn't? :) But my long term goal is to stay healthy and fit. I want to be able to carry in all of the groceries (in one trip!) in 30 years.
Quote Reply