Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nutrition Clarification
Quote | Reply
Since January when I jumped head first into SBR and changed/started paying attention to my diet I have lost 30lbs, down to 159 from 189 and I'm a 5'9 male. I am finding myself stuck over the last few weeks at the 159 mark, occasionally going up to 161 and back down to 159. I watch my diet religiously M-S and on Sunday allow myself to drink a few beers and have a few slices of pizza or some wings while watching football. I have been doing this since the beginning and am looking for some help to get over this plateau. I do not want to give up my Sunday's as that is a mental release for me. I'm currently doing between 12 and 15 hours of cardio (SBR mix) per week, a workout in the morning before work and usually a run or bike after work before dinner. I'm going to list my food intake below and would love some suggestions for either new foods or adjustments to the current ones.

B- Van's Natural Foods Power Grains Waffle x2
ON Nutrition Protein shake with Non-Fat milk and 1 bananna on Tues and Thurs morning
Cup of mixed fruit; Pineapple, Strawberries and Cantelope
Starbucks Grande Late with Non-Fat milk and one Sugar In the Raw packet
S- Kashi Dark Mocha Almond granola bar
L- Sandwich; 3-4oz of Boars Head Roast Beef, Turkey or Chicken Breast
Slice of tomato
Lettuce
Arnold Sandwich Thins whole wheat bun
S- 25 Rold Gold mini pretzels
D- Varies between a few things:
Jambalaya w/Turkey Sausage
Egg whites with portobella mushrooms and pinto beans
Spaghetti with Prego red sauce and shredded chicken breast
Chicken breast with steamed broccoli
Sweet potato with ground turkey breast, low fat sour cream, Publix salsa and 2% shredded cheese

Any ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for taking the time
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition Clarification [steelrain66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's calories in vs calories out that determines weight loss/gain. Figure out your caloric maintenance and eat less than that if you want to lose weight. Nothing wrong with having a few beers and wings on the weekends as long as it fits your calories for the day.

This neat little calculator does it all for you: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
Last edited by: Jayy: Oct 16, 13 10:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love greek yogurt. Fage, is my favorite brand. It's almsot like ice cream to me, especially the "regular" version with full milk cream.

+1 on Kashi cereal.

I love peanut butter on a on whole wheat bread or thin bagel as a mid morning snack. I need something with some fat & protein in the morning.

I also use salads to help fill me up and get me some additonal vitamins and minerals. I use Yogrut based dressings. They are low calories nad suprisingly good. I sometimes throw some shelled edamame on them too for soem extra protein.

Otherwise you're eating pretty well.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition Clarification [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
get rid of the products with monoglycerides, soybean oil or canola oil. (arnold thins, chain pizza) you can replace the arnold thins with ezekiel bread
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition Clarification [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is sugar a factor? I try to keep it below 30g/day excluding days before a longer run (more than 12 miles), then I'll allow a little more. Thank you for the responses, I feel like an infant when it come to this stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are 5'9", 159, and want to weigh less? What do you want to weigh?
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition Clarification [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would like to be between 150-155
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have listed all the meals you are eating, but did not list any of the drinks, gels, etc.. for your workouts. You need to add those in as well. Are you taking in calories on workouts of less than an hour? Then having a post workout recovery meal/shake?
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition Clarification [newberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Workouts less than an hour, it's just Powerade Zero and no shake after. Workouts more than, it's a range of things depending on length of workout. Up to 2 hours I'll do one GU Roctane gel and one serving of GU Roctane powder with 20oz of water. More than two hours up to 3.5 I'll double what I just listed and add about 20oz more of water depending on the heat (I'm in Florida).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you arent eating enough IMO. Cut your carbs and send your body catabolic. You will lose weight, but dont expect yoru performance to increase!

FWIW, you dont need to lose 10lbs i recon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are eating pretty well but I have a couple of suggestions. I see that you have eat a lot of grains which is good because of all the SBR that you're doing. You may want to try reducing intake and eating carbohydrates in your pre and post workout meals to refuel glycogen. The times you would normally eat carbohydrates eat more fruits and vegetables or drink vegetable juice. Not necessarily as a long term thing but just a suggestion to help you drop the last 5 - 8 pounds.
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition Clarification [nstearns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So maybe forego the waffles in the morning and replace with an apple or two? Or maybe some V8 type drink?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your diet looks fine. Of course you can knit-pick but there are no *food types* that will cause you to be 5-10 lbs too heavy.

What will possibly cause you to be too heavy, is quantity (probably obvious, but worth a mention).

That being said, if you want to be 150-155, I'm assuming that means you want to race at 150-155 during race season.

159 is a perfect off-season weight, in that case. Worry about getting to your race weight 1-3 months ahead of your important race(s). If you have reached a plateau, chances are it will be hard to maintain a weight below 159 for 6+ months. It's not worth the extra effort during November, December, January, etc. In fact, a caloric deficit during that time can be detrimental to your workouts and goals you might have of increasing fitness.

-Physiojoe

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
steelrain66 wrote:
Workouts less than an hour, it's just Powerade Zero and no shake after. Workouts more than, it's a range of things depending on length of workout. Up to 2 hours I'll do one GU Roctane gel and one serving of GU Roctane powder with 20oz of water. More than two hours up to 3.5 I'll double what I just listed and add about 20oz more of water depending on the heat (I'm in Florida).

On runs under 90 minutes drink nothing but water. On rides up to 2 hrs, drink nothing but water. You need zero calories under those thresholds.

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition Clarification [Physiojoe925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is true, wasn't really looking at it that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would opt the brown "liquid", sugar, plus white water as being the first thing to go (Starbucks "grand" latte).

Get some real coffee and real milk and in a smaller size.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On your day off only have 2-3 eggs coffee and water for breakfast and don't eat until lunch and resume your regular eating . I think you should only make small changes at this point since you are close.
Quote Reply