Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Diet & Nutrition Thread
Quote | Reply
We talk about food a LOT in this group - I'd love a formal discussion of the topic.

Let's each share the following:

1) Do you follow a strict diet or nutrition plan?
2) What makes it work for you?
3) What are the hardest aspects of it for you?
4) How long have you followed it?
5) Do you use any tools to track adherence?
6) Would you recommend it to others?
7) What are your goals in following this plan (weight loss, muscle gain, dietary restrictions)?
8) Have you reached these goals and/or been able to maintain?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: Diet & Nutrition Thread [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I'll happily go first:

I focus on calories-in-calories-out with a daily goal of <1200. Special occasions allow cheating. Very light breakfast (90-calorie Fiber 1 bar), ~300 calorie frozen meal for lunch, early dinner ~500-700. ~200 calories of drinks in the evening.
Freedom of choice - I don't feel restricted.
Wanting to make cheat days for every little excuse (stressful day, good day, celebratory day...)
10 years.
When I am more hardcore on it, I will use Mapmyrun/mapmytri and input all my food.
Yes, for people without dietary issues. I tried a low-carb diet once and almost fainted on day 3 - I am carb sensitive. I also like that I can drink - I just have to account for the calories. Eating the low-cal frozen meals doesn't work for people who are sodium-sensitive.
7) What are your goals in following this plan (weight loss, muscle gain, dietary restrictions)?
Weight loss & maintenance while keeping energy levels high for work and workouts.
For long periods of time, yes. When life goes clusterfuck, no. The more diligent I am in recording my food, the more I see results, the more I keep on it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agilecipher wrote:
We talk about food a LOT in this group - I'd love a formal discussion of the topic.

As I just recently started working with a nutritionist, I'll share. It would be fun to chat with others who use similar principles.

1) Trying to. Metabolic Efficiency Training (MET) which is promoted by Seeborhar. The basic idea is to manipulate your cellurlar processes to improve the body's ability to use macronutrients specifically fat. It is a balance of carbs, fats, and protein. The main idea is that the first thing on your plate should be a protein/fat and that should be followed with vegetables and fruits. Lastly, you add a small amount of carbs. The quantity of the carbs is periodized to where you are in your training cycle: base - none to small amount, competition: a bit more carb, etc. Pretty much the more intense your training, you may want to consider adding more carbs. The goal is to increase your body's ability to burn fat for fuel at all levels of exercise intensity and thus reducing the amount of calories you need during training and racing (less chance for GI stress). People have also had great success reducing body fat using MET.

2) Still figuring this out but so far it is pretty easy to follow with a small amount of planning.

3) Right now the hardest aspects is the integration of so much fat. All my life I have heard that fat is bad. MET encourages the addition of avocados, cheese, oils, salad dressing, etc. While all of these things taste amazing, it is a mental struggle to eat some at each meal.

4) I am in week 2. So very early stages. I am still in the carb-unloading stages. I think next week, I will be eating at the proper levels of protein/fat/carb recommended for base building. Although I have somewhat been following a low carb diet as I have been gluten free since April and instead of just substituting gluten free items for gluten items in my diet (breads, pasta, cookies, etc), I just stopped eating them. So I think my carb-unloading hasn't been as big of deal as it could be for some.

5) Since I am currently working directly with a nutritionist, I track using an excel food log. I email it to her and she gives me feedback on what I can do to improve my meals or if I am on track. With our approach, we are not tracking number of calories or g of carbs/protein/fats. We are focused more on the qualitative makeup of my meals and snacks. I eat until I am full and snack/eat when I am hungry. I have found that by adding more fats, my need to snack has gone way down.

6) Can't answer this yet.

7) I have two goals: Lower body fat and simplify my long course nutrition. People have had great success getting calories intake down to 50-100 calories an hour during IMs and ultras.

8) see 6

I am looking forward to reading more about what others do.
Quote Reply
Re: Diet & Nutrition Thread [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm confused by this statement. "The main idea is that the first thing on your plate should be a protein/fat and that should be followed with vegetables and fruits. Lastly, you add a small amount of carbs. " What do you mean by "carbs" - Vegetables and fruits are carbohydrates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool thread idea. It will be interesting to see what other do.

Btw, I have no freakin clue how anyone survives on <1200 calories a day :) I might be able to do it for, like, 48 hours, and then I would go postal. How do you train? Gawd, most days I eat 1200 calories by 11 am!

1) No plan per se, though it doesn't sound too different than what instigator just described. I eat very little processed food and prepare most of my own meals and snacks. I eat ~5x/day. I try to eat for the upcoming three hours of my life/training, make sure I fuel properly post-workout, and limit late-might grazing. I have a very small list of never foods. If I want to eat something I will, but the things I want to eat are generally good for me. I feel like complete shit if I eat white flour, sugary carbs, and now they don't even sound good, but other than that, I eat the full-fat real deal foods. I adjust carbs based on my training load but my protein is usually right on, and fat is somewhere between 25-35% of my diet.
2) This is how I have eaten for a long time, so I guess it works because it is my lifestyle.
3) Sometimes if I am traveling it is difficult to think ahead enough to make sure I have what I want and it is fresh.
4) I have eaten this way for ~15 years, though I didn't eat much differently before. It's been a pretty natural evolution. I do eat more now that I'm training for tris.
5) No. I don't track. I hate it :)
6) Absolutely.
7) My goals have been to eat food that I enjoy, make good meals for my family, be fueled for my day and my training. As I go into this next year, I am thinking a bit about "race weight" what that might mean and how my diet might change, if at all.
8) Yes, so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Was doing Weight Watchers online.

By tracking everything online it kept me accountable. I don't like counting calories and trying to figure out how many my recipes have, so going by how many points I was eating and how many I had left at the end of the day/week made it easier.

Wanting to eat more of certain foods. Cheese and breads. Tough to give up, but both very high in calories and fat (for the cheese). I know weightloss is going to make you hungry, but some days I was obsessed with food - and just wanted to eat like a crazy lady.

2 times for about 3-4 months at a time.

The Weight Watchers website.

Sure - it totally dumbs it down if you don't want to count calories yourself because of the point system BUT (and this is a big BUT) you have to take the time to input recipes accurately and be honest with the number of servings each recipe makes or your points are totally off.

Getting rid of the baby weight once and for all.

8) Have you reached these goals and/or been able to maintain.

Was really looking forward to losing the last 4 pounds (would have put me about 8 pounds under my pre-pregnancy weight from my first, and subsequently 8 pounds under my tri days weight and seeing what the maintenance portion of the plan looked like, but then my husband knocked me up again, and I'm already up 10 pounds and I'm only 12 weeks along! Nothing like going from eating like a bird, very healthily, to stuffing your face every 2 hours or else you barf mode. And forget veggies as a staple. If it isn't filling, my stomach rejects it and just makes me go looking for something that is filling. Hoping the next few weeks this goes away and I can enjoy my salads again.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll play!

Vegan but I don't consider this strict. It is a choice I've made and strict sounds like punishment.

I also monitor calorie intake because it is really easy for me to stuff my face. 1600 calories base for the day. Compensate for training. I'd like to drop some pounds so I'm going into a small deficite each day, around 300 calories. So for a day that I run 5 miles, I start at 1600 calories + 450 calores (5 miles x 80 calories/mile) that leaves me at 2050. I take 300 back off of that for deficite so I get 1750 for the day.

Eating fresh food. Deciding every day to renew my commitment to this lifestyle. Not denying myself treats.

Eating out can be a challenge. Mostly it comes from other people questioning my choice. I don't preach or try to make anyone feel guilty about eating meat. In fact, if someone offers me something that isn't vegan, my first response is to poitely decline. Usually I get push back, I decline again, if they keep it up, I tell them I'm vegan. I recognize this is my choice and try to set a positive example. Lead by example my father always taught me.

I also have an incredible sweet tooth. That is what does me in, every time.

Vegetarian 18 years, vegan on and off but re-commited 3ish months ago.

Track adherence, no. Track calories, yes! www.myfitnesspal.com I work with a nutritionist and she wants me using this. I like www.loseit.com better.

Vegan? Of course.
Tracking? Depends on the person. If you have OCD tendancies it can drive you nuts tracking every crumb as soon as you eat it. It can be really informative. Most people underestimate how much they are eating.

I track to be sure I'm getting what I need. When I was marathon training, it was to support my training. Now I'm trying to drop weight.
Vegan, that's a longer answer than I think most of you want to read.

Yes and no. My running has been really strong. I'm still heavier than I want to be.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Diet & Nutrition Thread [kimbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kimbie wrote:
I'm confused by this statement. "The main idea is that the first thing on your plate should be a protein/fat and that should be followed with vegetables and fruits. Lastly, you add a small amount of carbs. " What do you mean by "carbs" - Vegetables and fruits are carbohydrates.

Yes, they are carbs. I guess my wording was off as I typed this while working on something as well. In my original post, carbs should be refined and processed carbs and grains- rice, wheat, quinoa, etc. Corn is a gray area.

MET is not low-carb in the traditional sense. MET is based on eating a higher percentage of protein and fats compared to carbs. And the carbs that are eaten are in the form of vegetables and fruit with more emphasis on vegetables (3:1 ratio). The goal is to stabilize blood sugar by eating a mix of lean protein, fat, and fiber (vegetables and fruit) together.

I am by far not an expert on this which is why I hired someone to help guide me through the process of transitioning my diet. I had read several of Seebohar's books and have heard him speak and what he said made some sense. Additionally, I know several people who have had great success with it. The whole calories in/calories out was not a good strategy for me for a variety of reasons so I thought I would give it a shot.
Quote Reply
Re: Diet & Nutrition Thread [Push] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spend most of my day sitting on my ass in front of a computer and my training is at a low level right now. My coach has me drink Ensure before races and increase my calories significantly. For my normal 1 hour daily workouts, I am just fine if I go soonish after dinner.

Edit: this is awesome - fun to learn the different perspectives and how they work for different mindsets/training levels. Glad you're enjoying it too!

Last edited by: Agilecipher: Oct 15, 13 15:04
Quote Reply
Re: Diet & Nutrition Thread [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for clarifying Instigator. I think when people make this distinction in regards to carbohydrates, they are actually categorizing them by their glycemic index.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting thread idea.

Do you follow a strict diet or nutrition plan?
My husband and I did a "Whole 30", which is a very strict Paleo diet, back in January. Basically, it was no grains, no sugar (including alcohol), no dairy, no legumes – so lots of veggies, protein and healthy fat. I've been following a less-strict version of it on and off since then. I try to focus on the "Just Eat Real Food" part of the plan and not get caught up in the whole Paleo psuedo-science. I make the majority of our food and we eat a TON of produce. The hubby drives a lot of this, as he has a fair amount of weight that he's trying to lose and this program really works for him.

What makes it work for you?
I don't have to count calories or restrict my food intake at all. I've managed to maintain what was previously my race weight with no effort what-so-ever. I feel better, my energy levels are stable and once you get used to cooking/meal planning, it doesn't take that much effort to do. (Of course, if you don't do the meal planning, it's a lot more challenging... ) I also credit this way of eating with helping me to kick a long-standing Diet Coke habit once and for all.

What are the hardest aspects of it for you?
If you are trying to follow the primal/paleo diet, it's very tough to eat out or socialize with folks. There are grains/legumes/dairy/sugar in EVERYTHING. It gets very tedious ordering a salad with grilled chicken, olive oil and vinegar. Especially when our home-cooked food has so much variety. I get around this by just going off-plan as I need to, but it gets tiresome.

How long have you followed it?
Since January 2013

Do you use any tools to track adherence?
No

Would you recommend it to others?
I would, but only if asked. (I don't like people preaching to me about their diet choices, so I try and do the same.) I think this program is particularly helpful for folks who have been suffering from undiagnosed GI issues, because it forces you to eliminate most known allergens. There are stricter "AI Protocols" that people can do for trickier allergies, such as nightshades, but it seems like the Paleo diet is a god-send for folks with food allergies or sensitivities.

When we did the W30, I introduced food groups back in individually so that I could see their effects. I was lucky that I don't seem to have any major sensitivities but I noticed that eating certain things caused energy dips or sugar cravings. (For example, eating something bread-like would set me up for sugar cravings for the rest of the day.) I used to have a major sweet tooth, but this program really helped me identify some behaviors that caused it and it's gotten much easier to manage.

What are your goals in following this plan (weight loss, muscle gain, dietary restrictions)?
Mostly weight maintenance and fat loss.

Have you reached these goals and/or been able to maintain?
Yes on the weight maintenance, fat loss is still on-going. That requires me to be more strict with the diet and increase the exercise, so I know what's required, just haven't felt the motivation. Once training starts up again, it'll improve.

Thanks for posting this, it was fun to "talk" about.

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was mdraegerpdx's incessant preaching about her diet that got us on the Whole30 bandwagon. Totally kidding - my hubby and I saw the results she and her husband had and decided to give it a try ourselves. Hubby had about 7-10 lbs he wanted to lose - I had a wicked sweet tooth I wanted to try and curtail. Like mdraeger said, it's no sugar (at all...not even in tea/coffee), no grains, no legumes, no processed food. I don't eat red meat so it was a lot of chicken but we did do at least 2 vegetarian dishes a week and hubby took breakfast and lunch with him into the office.

Our 30-days end on Thursday and honestly, while the first week was really tough, we've grown to love how we feel on this 'diet' (I can't even call it a diet because it's not about restricting calories). We weren't eating terrible before but we both noticed the change in our energy level, in our clear-headedness, in how well we sleep, and how even our moods were. Hubby has lost about 8ish lbs (final weigh-in is on Thursday) and I've dropped 4ish lbs but, more importantly to me, I'm no longer a slave to the sugar monster.

We've talked about how after we end the official Whole30 we'll probably more or less stick with the program. Eating out will be an exception, so too will special events/birthdays/etc, but for the most part we feel so much better and don't feel like anything's missing from our life with all the whole, real foods we're eating. Though I do miss hummus...that's coming back on Friday b/c my go-to snack is hummus and carrots and I miss it.

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in!!
No - I eat when I'm hungry or need food. I aim for balanced nutrition but not always in conventional forms. Breakfast cereal & fruit for dinner can work. Chocolate in some form is mandatory on Fridays. Sustagen is mandatory post training. Aiming to drink less alcohol and more water. Work on ensuring I get enough protein.
Genetics mostly. I snack and graze a fair bit and frequently miss formal meals. I'm a keen cook so I naturally gravitate to fresh and raw rather than pre-prepared.
Getting enough in when the training load increases and my appetite diminishes.
All my life.
Weight myself a couple of times a week.
Yes.
Health, weight maintenance (as it keeping it about the same all the time), powering the machine.
Yes. Race season weight is generally 2kg less than off season weight and pretty consistent.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm rather forced to, since I have a bloody boatload of food allergies (gluten, dairy, nightshades, non-fermented soy, legumes, MSG, sulphites & I can't digest quinoa). I have also learned the hard way that "low carb" does not work for me at all - I can just about eat my bodyweight in meat & fat and still be hungry, whereas a bowl of rice and a salad will keep me happily sated. I very seldom drink alcohol - other than a cup of tea in the morning and cup of coffee in the afternoon during the week (a cup or two of coffee on weekend mornings), water is pretty much my exclusive beverage. Apart from that, I try to eat fresh, whole, natural foods - if I really want something unhealthy, I'll have it as a post-race treat, as I give myself freedom to eat whatever I want during the day after a race. I do have one square of dark (90% cocoa) chocolate just before I go to bed daily.

Being an adventurous cook and making everything from scratch, reading labels, hitting the farmers' market weekly, planning ahead and focusing more on what I can eat than what I can't. I eat out very seldom - once a week we stop at a fast food place that does pitas (for Tanker) and salads (for me) with a great selection of veggies, and we go to a restaurant maybe once a month. It really helps that I love fruit & vegetables, and know how to use the 5 different kinds of rice I keep on hand at all times to advantage.

Restaurants are tough - so often, the only gluten-free option is either pasta with tomato sauce or a garden salad with tomato and bell peppers. It gets a bit depressing when I look at the number of things I can't eat, and all the stuff that I can't really participate in - pancake breakfasts, Oktoberfest beer & sausage, rib nights, or even just sharing a plate of french fries with my husband. It's tough to remember to check every single aspect of every food I eat for possible contamination (you'd be shocked at the number of things that contain gluten, dairy, soy & tomato), and the consequences of a restaurant being careless can have horrible effects for more than a week. I really hate having to ask a million questions, make wait staff go ask in the kitchen, bring me out bags of ingredients if necessary, and generally be a pain in the ass when we go out - it's no fun for the people who have to serve me (I do tip very well, though), nor is it much fun for my fellow diners. I try to research menus and call ahead when I can, or just bring a portable snack along that I can have before/after if I'm not sure I'll be able to eat anything.

I finally nailed down the last of the allergies (I hope..) a few months ago, but I have been living gluten & non-fermented soy free for a couple of years now and making healthier choices for the last 5 years.

I used to track my caloric intake at livestrong.com, but it's tedious and since most of what I eat is made from scratch it's even more difficult to get things accurate. At this point I know what I am taking in, I know what I should be eating depending on my training load (more hours = more rice), and I know when I'm over-eating. I do step on a scale daily and track my weight to see trends.

I'd highly recommend getting sufficiently in tune with your body that you're able to have a healthy relationship with food. Eliminate things that cause you to suffer, treat yourself now and again, but mostly just find wholesome foods and recipes that allow you to really enjoy high-quality fuel for your body.

The primary goal is just to feel good and have lots of energy without the pain & unpleasantness that come from eating food my body isn't suited to digest. It's also nice to be lean and strong!

Back in 2008 I started losing weight using conventional wisdom (low fat, calorie restricted) without knowing about my allergies - my "normal" was a state of chronic GI distress, but it's all I'd ever known. I successfully lost 30lbs over the course of a year or so, then in early 2010 I quit using birth control pills, quit smoking and went vegetarian (as an experiment) all within 3 months. I was eating a lot of grains and dairy, believing that I needed to focus on protein, and between the hormonal issues and yet-unidentified food allergy problems I ballooned back out to almost my former weight. I had more muscle, since I was training, but I gained a lot of fat - even my husband gained a lot of weight (25lbs) when we ate vegetarian for 6 months! I started listening to the low carb/paleo/primal crowd, and spent the winter eating meat, fat, vegetables, nuts, fat and more meat...only to get even chubbier, and have tons of trouble losing it even as training ramped up through the summer. I did finally identify some of the food allergies during this time, but was at my wit's end trying to get back down to race weight - 2011 was a very fat year for me, and I have a wardrobe full of clothes to prove it. 2012 was a transition year; finding my way back to low-fat and learning to ignore everyone who tells me to focus on eating protein, focusing on rice as a staple, and letting my hormones finally settle down. Since then I've paid careful attention, figured out the last of the food sensitivities, learned that a high-carb, lower-protein and lower-fat diet is really what I need to succeed, and since last winter I've dropped down to my leanest since 2009. I feel great, recover well, enjoy my food and feel that I'm eating in a way that is sustainable for life.

Cheers!

-mistress k
Last edited by: mistressk: Oct 16, 13 9:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great idea for a thread. I've enjoyed reading the responses.

Vegetarian since age 16. I LOVE milk and still eat eggs, so not a vegan. I also don't eat processed foods. I will confess to big sweet tooth, especially chocolate so not as healthy as I would like to be, but I believe everything in moderation, so I just try not to let it get out of hand. I do think life is short, and I don't intend to give up chocolate any time soon.

IDK. It's just what I do.

The hardest aspect is finding good food if I don't plan ahead or travel. I haven't eaten fast food for over 15 years.

I guess it'd be 34 years now.

When I'm trying to make racing weight, I use myfitnesspal to track calories. Occasionally I'll just put everything in there for a few days to make sure I'm getting a healthy mix of protein, fats and CHO.

I would. I think it's a healthy way to live. Not the only way, but works for me.

I'm generally happy w/ my weight. Occasionally like to lose a few pounds for racing, but I have a 3 pound window I allow myself. I do weigh myself daily, which helps me understand when I'm over doing it, and get back on track. I think its much easier to lose 2 pounds than not pay attention and have to lose 10-20 later.

I've been the same 3 pounds window for approx. 10 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Diet & Nutrition Thread [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It was mdraegerpdx's incessant preaching about her diet that got us on the Whole30 bandwagon.

Why doesn't ST have a like button?

;-P

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've really enjoyed reading all of these!

Agilecipher wrote:

I wouldn't call it a diet, but I do watch what I eat...try to make it healthy. Balanced diet normally, plenty of fruits, veggies, lean protein, whole grains, carbs before long bouts of exercise, protein after.
I am a total creature of habit. I like to know what I'm eating and when I'm eating. I'm also pretty lazy. So, I eat almost the same thing every day. I'm sure this isn't the absolute ideal, but it works for me.
I also eat brownies every Sunday after my long workout. I look forward to it. I relax in front of the TV and eat some delicious fudgy brownies. It makes saying no to the other treats easier because I know I have this to look forward to.
Saying no to the sweet tooth...especially when other people are eating sweets. People order dessert at dinner, someone brings in a cake to work, etc.
About 5 years now
I tried, but it drove me bonkers. I was literally counting 7 frozen strawberries to put into my smoothie--then I thought what if I only did 6...then what if I only did 5. I got way too OCD about the whole thing.
It seems the people who are the healthiest and happiest are more of a "healthy lifestyle" type of eater. When that is the case, I don't think there's really anything to recommend.
Just trying to be healthy.
There's always room for improvement!
Quote Reply
Re: Diet & Nutrition Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WOW that is a lot of restrictions. Good for you for embracing the madness and finding new ways to cook the limited and seasonal ingredients.

This thread is a great inspiration for me to remember FOOD IS FUEL and stop indulging on the crap (especially the extra booze... it's my biggest weakness).

Admission of guilt: When I was between projects for the last three weeks, I over-ate, under-trained, and was pretty much sipping boozy drinks all day :( Bad girl. I was up to a scary-high weight of 147 that had me on the verge of a panic attack.

Since Monday, I'm down 3 lbs (1 a day), just from not drinking nearly as much and making good choices at the cafeteria. Today's major victory was saying NOTY! to the corn muffin and potato salad that came with the lean carved beef. Stuck with extra veggies and the beans.

I love reading about everyone's favorite indulgences - mistressk's dark chocolate, clairec2007's brownies - and inspirations for adhering - better racing, losing baby weight.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think this one tells us anything we don't already know, but here's a nice topical article - triathletes, women, diet, training..

http://firstoffthebike.com/...diet-part-one-women/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no, I track intake and out
I can still eat whatever I like, as long as it's accounted for
The toughest thing for me is potlucks or parties. My #1 issue is that I'll overeat. I'll overeat every day, every meal if I don't consciously keep track of what I'm doing. I could probably gain weight even if I was running 15 mi per day... I just seem to have no automatic "stop" or "I'm full"
Since Dec. 28th of 2012
I use myfitnesspal app on my phone
absolutely.
Goal was to lose weight so I could go faster in races. I also use the app to ensure I am getting enough iron and calcium per day, and protein.
Yes, I reached the goal. However, since I switched the app to 'maintain weight' I might have crept up a few lbs, so I may re-evaluate what 'should' be the proper daily limit for maintenance and revise as needed
It's been interesting. It's the first time in my life I've tracked calories. I have learned a lot about my daily calorie needs. I am hoping it's improved my relationship with food, but I still want to keep eating a lot. The app keeps me in check. When I hit the limit for the day, or I see how I'm doing throughout the day, it keeps me from scarfing down 6 candy bars or 5 cookies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way to go! More veg and beans for the win!

I immediately thought of this song when I was reading your post.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_-KbstEG4E
Quote Reply
Re: Diet & Nutrition Thread [clairec2007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! I played the link on my phone this am and my husband and I both felt like we went 10 years back in time... haven't heard that in forever ^_^ Thanks for starting my day with a smile!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm really enjoying reading all of these - particularly as just THIS week I decided to give some calorie/nutrient tracking a try. Managed to put on a few lbs after IMTahoe and don't want them to stick around.

Nope. I do cook for myself a fair amount and generally eat "well," (not too much processed stuff, enjoy my veggies) but have a sweet tooth. And probably snack too much.

A mix of genetics, activity level, and age (35)

Going through that right now - I always seem to put on weight starting in September. I'm usually leanest ~April, heaviest around Thanksgiving. I'd really like to break that cycle.

Most of my life, with a few years of vegetarianism thrown in there, a month of paleo, some short vegan experiments.

No. But I am starting to use My Fitness Pal, which I used briefly in January/February 2013.

Meh.

I *am* getting married next year. This seems to be the societal standard time for some sort of weight loss extravaganza...

My non-diet diet has allowed me to maintain a weight within an eight pound range for quite a few years now. But, much as this sucks to say (and know to be true about myself), I would really like to be more satisfied with my body... which happens when I'm at the low end of that range.
Quote Reply
Re: Diet & Nutrition Thread [kbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I eat low carb mostly. Not true Paleo but modified. I don't eat sugar, grains or processed foods (if at all possible). I don't eat dairy with the exception of greek yogurt and cheese on occasion. Eat lots of chicken, healthy fat and tons of veggies. Veggies at every meal without fail. Limited fruit - typically a banana before and after my morning workout. Limited alcohol (once a week or every other week)

Removing the sugar and grains has helped with me control my appetite and portions.

Family events - always having to explain why I eat the way I do gets old. Eating out is tough too. I'm always substituting things to make it work for me.

Started in May 2012 and have been following it since.

No tracking. I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. Tracking makes me crazy.

Yes, I think it solves issues for those of us that have issues with grains and sugar.

Originally to drop weight and I did lose the ten pounds I was looking to lose. Now it's to be healthy and keep myself fueled for my training. My goal over the winter will be to change my body composition - increase muscle mass and decrease body fat.

I've lost the ten pounds I needed to lose and have maintained it for almost a year. Next goal is to reduce body fat and increase muscle mass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Do you follow a strict diet or nutrition plan? YES
2) What makes it work for you? What makes it work, is the fact I know when I eat better and drop a few lbs I'm quicker and faster on the bike and run and that's the end goal
3) What are the hardest aspects of it for you? I love anything sweet, but I able to turn that part of my brain off when I'm super focused or have a goal in mind when it comes to dieting
4) How long have you followed it? I only follow it when I'm training. I took the entire summer off and started back up Sept 2nd.
5) Do you use any tools to track adherence? Nope
6) Would you recommend it to others? If it works for them I have a very strict diet, I bet most people would have a hard time following it.
7) What are your goals in following this plan (weight loss, muscle gain, dietary restrictions)? Weight Loss, so I can be faster
8) Have you reached these goals and/or been able to maintain? Yes, for months, years....

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Quote Reply

Prev Next