Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I did it
Quote | Reply
So, last spring I was contemplating changing my whole life and leaving Jax. Well, I did it. I left, moved to Asheville, without knowing a damn soul or a job. Basically my only plan has been to make my business a success and ride my bike --- a lot!

Any of you womens up around these parts by chance?

Susan Harrell
http://www.endurancezone.com

Quote Reply
Re: I did it [TrinCook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not in the area but congratulations for making the move! A big step. I'm contemplating something similar next year.

Did you mind answering some questions?

Did you move with anyone or are you single?
Was the move itself expensive? As in >$5000?
Did you have a source of income lined up or did you move and hope the work found you?

I have a lot of concerns about a big move but I've been where I am for 18 years and am at a place in my life where I could make a move since I'm single.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: I did it [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Jen - not at all

I'm single.

The move was not expensive. It's one of the reason I chose Asheville over Denver. Movers are kinda expensive now a days. Denver would have been close to $5000 while Ashville was $1000.

Zero source of income lined up. If I waited for things to be perfect, then I never would have moved. I have my own business, create meal plans for ppl, healthy cooking, etc. I took a GIANT leap of faith and am searching for clients now. Things are starting to line up nicely now. Which is great.

I was talking to a good cycling friend of mine in his mid 50's and he pointed out the obvious to me with one blunt statement "you are single, 33, no mortgage - why the f*ck are you still here? Move" So I did, the next week ;) It's scary, not going to lie. But each day, I feel better about my choice. We will know soon enough if I was brave or dumb.

Susan Harrell

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

I'm 44, single, no mortgage but a car payment.

I'd want to have a job lined up. Unemployment is extremely stressful for me.

My apartment lease is up at the end of April so that would be my target move date. I'm in the Seattle area and am looking at Boulder or SoCal. Pretty different from each other but what the hell, why not think about all possibilities?

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't even have a car payment!

I think you should seriously think about it! It's really like ripping a bandaid. You can't think to long and hard, you just have to go for it!!
They are different but better than Seattle!!!

Susan Harrell

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grew up in Central Indiana, went to Indiana University. Lived in Indianapolis for a good number of years after school - large professional network, good tri network of friends & training partners. Still own a house up there because it wouldn't sell, now rented to an adorable couple of friends.

Transferred within company to Cleveland from Indy in 3rd Q 2010 - didn't know a soul. Bought a house because renting with two dogs was proving rough. Met some people, didn't try hard enough, hated the snow.

Moved to Nashville in early 4Q 2011, knew only one person. Broke up with him within 2wks of moving to town. Hopped into a tri group & swim group & haven't looked back since. Love the area, the dog parks, the people, the endurance community.....has absolutely become home. Rented my first place here totally blind, not having seen it at all. That wasn't the best idea but it worked out well in the end. I did manage to find a job from another location that worked out well, but that was tough. (Currently looking for next endeavor & still looking for the right relationship....) Now moving into a new place in a great location.

It's scary at first but so fun to explore a new area, be exactly who you want to be & go/do/see new things exactly how you want to see them. As long as you're not afraid to eat by yourself for awhile & are willing to go meet new people & join new training groups then it really is a great, fun adventure. I highly recommend taking on everything the world can offer....if not now, when?

AW
Quote Reply
Re: I did it [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm hoarding cash right now. I get an annual bonus each year in March that I want before I move :-)

The ideal scenario would be to find a company who would pay my moving expenses. That means traveling to interview, etc. I'm open to anything though.

My divorce was a shock but has given me an opportunity to spend the second half of my life taking a completely different path.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There you go....yet another way to turn it into a great, big positive. When I interviewed with this company initially they flew me down for an interview. If I had it to do over again, I probably would've spent a little bit of time physically here looking for a place to live. I'm not sure in the grand scheme, however, if it would've done me much good initially. I just didn't know enough about where I wanted/needed to be.

Saving cash is always a great idea, there are invariably tons of things that pop up. I moved down here with hardly any savings - paying essentially a mortgage & a half (the rent from the first house does ok....but not quite enough) AND my rent down here. A little extra cash & breathing room for that first year would've been great. It depends on the job you go into though...if there's expected cash flow then you might be ok. I was transitioning to sales with a fairly large on-ramp....so it was a little stupid.

But life is good now. I'm excited for you & REALLY proud of the OP. I've heard from so many people who WANT to do these types of things but never do. It DOES take guts but man, it's SO worth it on the back end when you get to really be EXACTLY who you want to be....not what you've always been or what you're expected to be or anything like that. The world is your oyester....go shuck that puppy & find the pearl!

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats!! I hear it's beautiful in Asheville. I was bummed when it didn't win the Ironman bid. It's very cool you can just pick up and move to a new place where you don't know soul! Must be so freeing! Enjoy!

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: I did it [kmh1225] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My husband and I did something similar a few years back. Looking back now it terrifies me. We live In a bid city near the Rocky Mountains in Canada, and always wanted to live in a small ski town. So we did. My husband quit his job, and I was unemployed after graduating university so we packed up our little bachelor appartment and headed out to Revelstoke BC Canada. No jobs, and a lease on a rental for a year. Luckily we both found work rather quickly, had an amazing year skiing waist deep powder, training for Ironman, getting engaged, all the fun stuff. But, rather quickly, realized that we didn't want to/couldn't live there forever so after our lease was up the year later we moved back to where we came from, with amazing memories. Although it didn't work out for us at least we now know that that's now what we want, but if we hadn't tried we would always have been wondering. If you want something, just do it! Good job OP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love where I live, just hate where I work. Same place for 23 years and being the bread winner, I find it very hard or near impossible to start over. I am in healthcare and it really sucks these days. I would love to work with animals in some degree but I am sure it would not pay the bills for my hubby and me. I hate feeling trapped. But I am thankful for a good job so I will find the "good" somewhere else than work.
Good luck in Asheville! I lived there for about 7 years back in the 80's. Loved it-so beautiful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I'm hoarding cash right now. "

I did something very similar right after my divorce. I was able to sell my practice but after paying off all my debts didn't have gobs of money in my pocket. I owned a commercial building but the market was soft so I couldn't sell it. When I eventually did it was only break even. Had I sold it a couple of years earlier when the market was hot I would have made a tidy profit, but you know what they say about hindsight.

I moved and started another practice from scratch which was a bit of struggle for the first year. That was difficult because I had an established practice and a pretty comfortable life before the divorce. The thing that really helped was that I could babysit my parents house while they were away in Florida for the winter so didn't have to pay rent for the first five months until they got back. In the end it worked out OK. Hard to believe that was twenty years ago when looking back.

Sounds like now might be the time for you to make the move, but I'd really recommend getting a job beforehand if that is possible. It can be quite hard in a new town if you're not employed.
Quote Reply