Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Sept. 23 Edition
Quote | Reply
Hope everyone is doing well.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 23 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a good running week. I got in 70 miles, w/ a long run of 23.
This week I'll run a little shorter w/ some more speed. Then one more week of long and TAPER!!!
Overall feeling good, a little tired this morning - will take the day off.

I'm very anxious to get this race over with and start back on my bike and swim. Trying to practice patience. Not an easy thing for me.

Goal race - Marathon 2 Marathon, October 26, 2013.

Happy training everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Week before last's goals:
- run x 5 - WIN and FAIL. Did 5 runs, but the 25k long run turned into a 7k "clear my head" run after packing from 10am-11pm.
- bike x 1 - WIN
- swim x 2 - WIN
- core/strength x 4 - WIN

Last week was amazing. Sunday the 15th we trucked up to Algonquin, spent a night in the pissing rain at a drive-in site, then had 4 days of increasingly wonderful weather (from sunny but cool and below-freezing overnight up to shorts & t-shirt weather) as we backpacked around the 1st loop of the Western Uplands trail. Afterwards we did another 2 nights of drive-in camping at a different lake, spent the day in the middle paddling and doing a day hike, then got to watch a riotous thunderstorm Friday night from the snug, dry comfort of our campsite. We broke down camp Saturday morning in the rain after a huge breakfast (pancakes! back bacon! eggs! 2 pots of coffee!) and headed home, then I got a short run (just under 6k) in that evening and ran just over 29km yesterday. Thus I start to taper for my first 50k after 41.6km of backpacking, 10.4km of hiking and 34.7km of running in 7 days (total of 86.7km/53.9 miles travelled by foot).

This week's goals:
Run x 6
Bike x 2
Swim x 4
Core/strength x 4

Cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Sep 23, 13 9:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a super week! I found myself with a new morning run friend.

I swam 2x
Ran 5x - I skipped my short easy run on Sunday because I seemed to have picked up a cough on Sat. and Sun. Ugh. Took today off from running too as a precaution.
Was short on my mileage for running but oh well.
Biked 3x -Got in an intervals video, an outdoor CX-y type ride with a bunch of guys, and raced on Sunday.

Highlights - Saturday's run race relay went well. My team finished the earliest ever, and with no concurrent running! We all had MUCHO fun and the weather was perfect!
Sunday's CX race went really well too - I raced with the cat 1-2-3s and placed 4th, meaning I won my entry fee back, a break even day. I was really proud of how I raced. I raced really hard. I was catching 3rd place, too, except I fell at the 4th to last turn -probably because I got greedy and was going SUPER ALL OUT.

This week - similar goals as last week. I'll cut down the long run in anticipation of my half marathon on the 5th. So run mileage will be a tad less.
But main goals will be to get those bike sessions in - since it's cyclocross season. :-)

Misstressk - sounds like you had an awesome time - great photo!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 23 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a good week too.

M - 9.3 mi run in Skowhegan, Maine before leaving the house at 6:20 am to take littlest brother to Boston for dr's appt. Parents left me at a hotel in Boston...
T - 9.3 mi run in Boston, Mass. before taking a 6 am shuttle to the airport and flying...
W - 9.3 mi run in Salt Lake City, Utah [all workouts for the rest of the week in Utah]
T - 8.5 mi run + 4 mi bike + rock climbing (outdoor)
F - 11 mi run
S - 9 mi run + rock climbing (outdoor)
S - 9 mi run

Totals: 65 mi running, 12 mi walking (didn't bother to list it on all the days but lots of walking to get to places in Utah), a little teeny bit of cycling and some rock climbing. I am visiting my brother and his girlfriend and having a blast. It's not entirely a pleasure trip as my brother's best friend died 3 weeks ago in a climbing accident, and he is still up/down... but I am so happy to see him. He has a border collie / newfoundland dog and she is a BLAST! She taught me a trick in which she brings me a ball and I throw it ;-)

Anyway clearly lots of running as I was traveling and trying to settle in. I just got back from an AWESOME 31 mi bike ride through Wasatch National Forest so more cycling this week, and the Utah Love Your Body Run on Saturday (advertised as a 15k but is actually 8.75 miles). Goals for this week = way less running, running targeted at racing fast, and more cycling - I love desert riding! Hoping to do more rock climbing this week too.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: tigerchik: Sep 23, 13 10:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some weeks are just not really your weeks, right. I definitely just wanted to sleep all week this week!

Ah well, new Monday.

kelly dunleavy o'mara
@kellydomara
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 23 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was incredible, and other than rain on the first & last nights we had great weather!

Some more scenic photos:

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I got the results of the 2nd part of my concussion testing and didn't come across as "impaired" in any area, and I was "superior" in a few. Some of the verbal tests were lower than she expected, but I was shocked that I did well with the numbers testing (recall a series of digits, starting with two and going up to a string of 8, and then the same thing but I was supposed to recite them in reverse order). Maybe all the focus on pacing and leave intervals from the Guppies Challenge switched on some math cells in my brain.

I'm going for another week or so of low HR non-activity, and then we'll see how it's going. She told me that I need to consider whether I want to go back to my previous activities because of the cumulative risk from multiple concussions. I told her that's something I'll have to work through, but I honestly can't see giving up my bike. She referred me to a sports psychologist - I was kind of hesitant at first because it makes me feel as if maybe the head and neck pains are all in my head, but she said it's really about athletes learning to deal with the diagnosis and find techniques to help with the pain. She's also going to talk to my Dr about possible meds, which I've resisted thus far, but at this point I'm open to considering them.

There was a race yesterday that I had planned to do, but I handled it well. They cancelled the swim due to high winds. Apparently the RD made a comment at the Athlete's meeting about being concerned about the housewives who do all their swimming at the Y not being able to handle rough water. I wasn't there so I don't know exactly how he said it, but it didn't go over too well with some of the housewives in the crowd. I saw pictures and didn't think it looked bad, just a little choppy. There have been threads on the main page about races being "dumbed down" and while I appreciate the safety and liability issues, I would have been really annoyed if I had been racing. As it was, it made it easier to handle the fact that I wasn't ;-)

I had PT yesterday and felt as if he were trying to do an Exorcist-type move on my neck. (I'm showing my age - have you younger ladies heard of the Exorcist movie with Linda Blair, where her head turned all the way around?) He said that was actually just to get my neck into a normal position. The good thing is that I have better range of motion today, yay for being able to look to the left!

Mistress K, I loved your pictures, that looks like an awesome trip. How did you not fall over backwards with that load you were carrying, though??

Everyone have a good week, be safe!

Diane
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 23 Edition [mdiane630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I had PT yesterday and felt as if he were trying to do an Exorcist-type move on my neck. (I'm showing my age - have you younger ladies heard of the Exorcist movie with Linda Blair, where her head turned all the way around?)

I have heard of the book/movie but don't know anything about head-turning.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
I had PT yesterday and felt as if he were trying to do an Exorcist-type move on my neck. (I'm showing my age - have you younger ladies heard of the Exorcist movie with Linda Blair, where her head turned all the way around?)

I have heard of the book/movie but don't know anything about head-turning.

I can't find a good picture, but if you look carefully, you'll see that her head is on backwards ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 23 Edition [mdiane630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's honestly not as heavy as it looks - I'd say 35lbs at maximum, and packed such that a lot of the weight is transferred to the hip belt. Add in the trekking poles and it was totally manageable for me; my husband was less happy with his (lighter) pack, but he doesn't train and didn't use poles.

Totally get the Exorcist reference, but I'm in my mid-30s so it was still readily available in movie rental stores when I was growing up. I have no idea how kids are going to learn about classic flicks now that there are no aisles of videos to browse! Netflix just doesn't seem to be the same, and I certainly wouldn't want to have to buy the DVD of some of the lousy movies I rented through the years.

Glad it sounds like you're getting positive progress on the recovery - hope you continue to see improvement!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
MK - those are some awesome pics! There is nothing that I love more than just spending all day traipsing through the woods with no agenda.

MD - take it easy - your fitness will come back quickly when you are ready. Post concussion syndrome is no fun. I dealt with it for over a year after a bad bike crash. The neck/headache would get better, I would push it and then, bammo. Seemed like 2 steps forward, 1 step back forever - but that I kept telling myself - it's net progress forward.

Last week
3 runs
3 swims
1 bike

Spent last weekend helping with a local spring tri. Setup on Saturday, oversee body marking and transition on Sunday morning, teardown transition and then setup kids course for the afternoon. Tons of work but I am a firm believer in giving back some time to the sport if you race.

This week, back at it
6xrun
4xswim

We have a new masters swim coach and he is fantastic. Our focus this fall is perfecting technique and holding it for longer sets. Have been doing lots of technique and short, fast sets. Also learning how to do other strokes including butterfly (you apparently can teach an old dog new tricks :-) Dropped 4secs off my 25yd time in 2 weeks! So I'm very excited to see how the next 8 months go as we transfer all of these gains to long swims!

Hsve a great week all!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My last two weeks involved:

1) vacation, getting married
2) return from vacation/wedding with a sinus infection (thanks, air travel!)

So now that I am better I am getting back at it, but man, is it hard to convince myself to roll out of bed for those 4am workouts! I also feel way more slow/out of shape than I should but hopefully the dust will blow off pretty quickly.

My wedding photos all show my swim tan with my strapless dress. I might have had my hair done and makeup on, but there's no confusing who is in the pictures. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 23 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, love those photos! Thanks for sharing!!! <3 <3 <3
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 23 Edition [katcycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My wedding photos all show my swim tan with my strapless dress. I might have had my hair done and makeup on, but there's no confusing who is in the pictures. ;-)

I think that's awesome :-)

Quote Reply