Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [love2ride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For BB noise see page 51 of this thread. Not saying you will like it...
Last edited by: dannyh: Sep 7, 13 19:28
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dannyh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dannyh wrote:
For BB noise see page 51 of this thread. Not saying you will like it...

Thanks "dannyh". Too bad that more folks are experiencing this headache.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [love2ride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
love2ride wrote:
I've had the same BB noise and the local shop just greased it, but it didn't work. I am taking it back, but would like to know if your problem got fixed and how? I've heard that people had the BBs replaced and even then the noise didn't completely go away. I am really frustrated since it's a new bike and I am having issues with it only after 500 miles. I've also read that someone's SHIV was actually missing some balls in the bearings, but that's not my case - according to my shop. Another noise I have experienced is the carbon post rubbing on carbon frame, but that's something minor and I'm not too worried about that. The BB noise, however, is just obnoxiously loud especially in high gear.

i haven't had any problems with my shiv's bb (knock on wood) even after three crank swaps. but my buddy's Orbea was doing the exact same thing you are describing and repairs with poor results were the same also. but since we worked at bmw dealership we use loctite 680 to set steel sleeves that are pressed into aluminum spindle when they make the same type of "chirp" from very minute movements. the loctite is actually designed to set "cylindrical" steel parts like a sleeve in a spindle or a bearing in a BB shell. he set his with loctite over a year ago, noise from the BB anymore. i would do the loctite over the epoxy method, that just sounds like a mess if it doesn't hold. the key to the loctite is surface prep, get those surfaces CLEAN! hope it helps

no wait...it's gotta be your bull
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [quez1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
quez1234 wrote:

i haven't had any problems with my shiv's bb (knock on wood) even after three crank swaps. but my buddy's Orbea was doing the exact same thing you are describing and repairs with poor results were the same also. but since we worked at bmw dealership we use loctite 680 to set steel sleeves that are pressed into aluminum spindle when they make the same type of "chirp" from very minute movements. the loctite is actually designed to set "cylindrical" steel parts like a sleeve in a spindle or a bearing in a BB shell. he set his with loctite over a year ago, noise from the BB anymore. i would do the loctite over the epoxy method, that just sounds like a mess if it doesn't hold. the key to the loctite is surface prep, get those surfaces CLEAN! hope it helps

When i purchased built my Shiv (from another ST member) the person who installed my BB (who was not a Specialized dealer) used the method mentioned above. As i didn't know if he was nuts or how that would compare to what Specialized say's I've been reluctant to promote it on ST... While i have no idea if the frame ever had issues before I can say I have ridden it a few thousand miles and have had no issues. As the Loctite seems cheap, simple and easier to remove I would certainly give that a shot before trying the epoxy method the Specialized dealer showed me.

Last edited by: dannyh: Sep 20, 13 18:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same issue, super noisy. I had the luxury to remove all the individual parts (crank, pedals, bearings, rings) and test them on another bike. I'm an engineer so standard process of elimination right. I think this is critical when your crank makes a noise. Locate the problem before replacing stuff. It takes a little time as each change requires you to go and spin a bit. I found that one side of the bearings that came with the frame was dirty or making a noise, I had another set so I replaced that side. Greased everything. This eliminated part of the noise. After my process the noise ended up coming from the ultegra pedals. Both from the clip mechanism which I had to lubricate (below two metal things, lubricate properly in there for all SPD's, this is overlooked sometimes) and most of the noise was lubricating the pedal threads in the crank and tightening that good. Now I'm stealth again.

Noise can be really distracting, but as someone in this same thread said somewhere "it seems the simplest of things fix the biggest frustrations we have" Thing is, it takes time. I took one Friday night, blasted 90's hip hop in the garage, after a few tweaks and test rides it was solved. I would not epoxy bearings in the frame though. Not even if a specialized dealer suggests it. He may know my bike, but I paid for it, and I should apply your own logic. What if the bearings mess up, what if you need to clean them or something. Think about it. I spent some time on the BB recently and I would stress so much if I had bearings glued in the BB. My 2cts. Peace.

-----------------------------------
Swim with swimmers, bike with cyclists, run with runners. Train with those who are hard to keep up with. Soon you will be hard to keep up with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dannyh wrote:
quez1234 wrote:

When i purchased built my Shiv (from another ST member) the person who installed my BB (who was not a Specialized dealer) used the method mentioned above. As i didn't know if he was nuts or how that would compare to what Specialized say's I've been reluctant to promote it on ST... While i have no idea if the frame ever had issues before I can say I have ridden it a few thousand miles and have had no issues. As the Loctite seems cheap, simple and easier to remove I would certainly give that a shot before trying the epoxy method the Specialized dealer described.

For use in an alloy OSBB (such as on the Shiv and Shiv TT), the loctite method is the recommended one. We don't ever recommend directly epoxying a bearing into a frame.

Great advice from a lot of folks on here. Diagnosing the root cause is always helpful if the time exists to find the noise.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MITaerobike wrote:

For use in an alloy OSBB (such as on the Shiv and Shiv TT), the loctite method is the recommended one. We don't ever recommend directly epoxying a bearing into a frame.

Great advice from a lot of folks on here. Diagnosing the root cause is always helpful if the time exists to find the noise.

Mark

Mark thanks for clarifying. I sent you a PM with details about the Specialized dealer who instructed me and adamant that the epoxy procedure came from Specialized. Hopefully you guys can get to the bottom of the disconnect.

Thank you again for everything you contribute to this community!
-Danny
Last edited by: dannyh: Sep 9, 13 14:20
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Tri297] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri297 wrote:
I had the same issue, super noisy. I had the luxury to remove all the individual parts (crank, pedals, bearings, rings) and test them on another bike. I'm an engineer so standard process of elimination right. I think this is critical when your crank makes a noise. Locate the problem before replacing stuff. It takes a little time as each change requires you to go and spin a bit. I found that one side of the bearings that came with the frame was dirty or making a noise, I had another set so I replaced that side. Greased everything. This eliminated part of the noise. After my process the noise ended up coming from the ultegra pedals. Both from the clip mechanism which I had to lubricate (below two metal things, lubricate properly in there for all SPD's, this is overlooked sometimes) and most of the noise was lubricating the pedal threads in the crank and tightening that good. Now I'm stealth again.

Noise can be really distracting, but as someone in this same thread said somewhere "it seems the simplest of things fix the biggest frustrations we have" Thing is, it takes time. I took one Friday night, blasted 90's hip hop in the garage, after a few tweaks and test rides it was solved. I would not epoxy bearings in the frame though. Not even if a specialized dealer suggests it. He may know my bike, but I paid for it, and I should apply your own logic. What if the bearings mess up, what if you need to clean them or something. Think about it. I spent some time on the BB recently and I would stress so much if I had bearings glued in the BB. My 2cts. Peace.

I tried the same thing, (but 80's hair band tunes) and it worked great for a couple weeks. Now i'm back to the creaking, but it doesnt seem to be all the time, just if i'm riding in a really big gear or climbing.

It's a 2 hour drive to the dealer i got my bike from, i don't trust the one that is 1hr away, i can't miss the training to be without my bike for a few days right now, so i'm going to deal with it and get the bike worked on after b2b when i take a couple weeks off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mark,

been looking at photos of craig alexander and Tim Don on their shivs from the wind tunnel and the WC 70.3. Both look like they have the pro missle evo aero bars with Di2. I have a similar set up on my shiv. Just curious if you can provide some insight to where their junction boxes are located? Both set ups look pretty clean.

thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for clearing up the loctite/epoxy solution. I'll take mine in after my race at the end of the month. Can't afford to be without my bike until then.

On another note... any word on the Fuel Cell and when they will hit the shelves?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just called my LBS about the Fuel Cell. He looked up its availability online @ Specialized and said he can see a variable delivery window. One warehouse indicating early September and another indicating early October.
Last edited by: dannyh: Sep 10, 13 15:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dannyh wrote:
I just called my LBS about the Fuel Cell. He looked up its availability online @ Specialized and said he can see a variable delivery window. One warehouse indicating early September and another indicating early October.

I put in an order a few weeks ago with my LBS and they told me then early September. I inquired last night and they told me they didn't know. Does anyone actually have one of these yet?
Last edited by: Patrick E: Sep 10, 13 17:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
these are the low stack clamps for the Shiv. They work on the alloy and carbon Shiv bars (not Shiv TT). They've been available for about 1 year as an aftermarket and service item though of course many shops don't stock them.
The reduce the stack of the extensions by 19mm so it's almost like going to a smaller sized bike with the same stack. The only downside is that you lose the ability to do angle adjust on the extensions.

Any word on these yet Mark?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [tenzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tenzo wrote:
Quote:
these are the low stack clamps for the Shiv. They work on the alloy and carbon Shiv bars (not Shiv TT). They've been available for about 1 year as an aftermarket and service item though of course many shops don't stock them.
The reduce the stack of the extensions by 19mm so it's almost like going to a smaller sized bike with the same stack. The only downside is that you lose the ability to do angle adjust on the extensions.

Any word on these yet Mark?

I'll check tomorrow. I know September was the date as well but I don't know when they land. I know we're time sensitive for races -- sorry guys, will follow up in the AM.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dannyh wrote:

That is exactly what my LBS told me. If I remember correctly the West Coast warehouse was Early September and the East Coast warehouse was early October.

Translation: Nobody knows.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dyarab wrote:
dannyh wrote:

That is exactly what my LBS told me. If I remember correctly the West Coast warehouse was Early September and the East Coast warehouse was early October.

Translation: Nobody knows.

Hey all,

300 Fuelcells just arrived in our warehouse in Salt Lake City today. They will be in active inventory by the end of the day today. That means they should be order-able or shipping to dealers starting tomorrow or Monday.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mark.

Just got off the phone with my LBS and he will keep a watch for when they hit active inventory. If he can get an order in I should have it before my race (sweet). I appreciate all the help you've given.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mark. Just over-nighted my order. Hopefully it will get here by Monday, that way I will have it for IMLT!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [tdodge22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you don't mind me asking who did you order it from?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I figured it out after I posted. I ordered one from them as well.

Thanks though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, I got in a BTA conversation in another thread and thought i would crosspost the link in case someone needs a setup like this on their SHIV in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tdodge22 wrote:
Thanks Mark. Just over-nighted my order. Hopefully it will get here by Monday, that way I will have it for IMLT!

Booya! I just ordered mine for IMLT too from specialized.com! Just in the nick of time! Now where's my down gore-tex jacket - going to be COLD on race day!

http://www.triandcatchme.com
https://twitter.com/kevintaddonio
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried this with the profile design bta and just ended up ruining the thing. Would you mind posting a pic of how you connect the bta to the fuel bladder in the shiv?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I just built diagram in PowerPoint and added it to a Flicker Photoset i had created earlier this summer which might help you see what i am talking about. The pictures taken outside were of a previous iteration but the 2 pics inside are the current setup. I will take some with better lighting soon.

Powerpoint

Last edited by: dannyh: Sep 16, 13 6:02
Quote Reply

Prev Next