Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Malaysia
Quote | Reply
There`s a rumour Ironman Malaysia will be back 2014, if yes I am gonne do it again, for sure, it was the best and thoughest show on earth!
Malaysia is so beautiful!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Malaysia [sweetypost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...but also draft fest and poorly supported
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's your source? Or is it wishful thinking?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Malaysia [rebel08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is this the same source as rumors of Ironman Yalta, Ironman Barcelona, and the Ironman 70.3 New Jersey?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish Langkawi had another Iron distance race but it would ever be a WTC event as they won't host races with small numbers..I rode down from Phuket to the race and loved that trip,even though I got very sick during the race.

Bring on Challenge Langkawi I say!!!

----
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Malaysia [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhh I see. Phantom races
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Malaysia [rebel08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rebel08 wrote:
Ahhh I see. Phantom races

Those are the races in which I have all my PRs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would be sweet, but could this be more rumour than fact? I lived on Penang Island for several years and love the area but the numbers don't make sense. You have the gruelling conditions, VERY hot and humid equatorial weather combined with a rather small local base of potential thletes (Singapore, KL, Penang, Southern Thailand) - maybe 100 or 200 of these 'locals' would show up for a full iron-distance race. From what I recall of the old IM Malaysia, about half of the competitors travelled in from quite far (Oz, Euro, Jap, HK/CHN). I can't see a branded IM race pulling in more than 300 paying competitors. A non brand Iron distance maybe 150.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Malaysia [Doubletime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doubletime wrote:
That would be sweet, but could this be more rumour than fact? I lived on Penang Island for several years and love the area but the numbers don't make sense. You have the gruelling conditions, VERY hot and humid equatorial weather combined with a rather small local base of potential thletes (Singapore, KL, Penang, Southern Thailand) - maybe 100 or 200 of these 'locals' would show up for a full iron-distance race. From what I recall of the old IM Malaysia, about half of the competitors travelled in from quite far (Oz, Euro, Jap, HK/CHN). I can't see a branded IM race pulling in more than 300 paying competitors. A non brand Iron distance maybe 150.

-------

If they stuck an independent one back in Langkawi I'd be there if there were only 50 people..Hell might even start my own in Thailand and call it an Adventure Iron with limited support.

-----
Last edited by: Nick Mallett: Sep 12, 13 6:09
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Malaysia [Nick Mallett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Singaporean here. Go make one I'll be the first to sign up!

--------------
"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't."
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Malaysia [imjustin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race is on :-). This time late in the year - Sept 27, 2014. Entries open Nov 7, 2013. There will also be an IM70.3 in Putrajaya in April.

If anyone is looking for a non-branded long distance race, then the MetaMan on the Indonesian Bintan Island (1hr ferry ride from Singapore) is a good bet.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Malaysia [aconcagua] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
signed up for both the 70.3 and IM!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Malaysia [spikey69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today (8 Nov) Radio Interview with Geoff Meyer, IRONMAN Asia Pacific & Craig Alexander, Multiple IRONMAN Champion

http://media.bfm.my/...offMeyer_IRONMAN.mp3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, for the Putrajaya 70.3 do you just fly into KL airport and take a cab to the race venue. What is it like? It sounds like it will be fairly flat? Was just looking at the flights to use this as a spring IM...but Ottawa to Toronto to Hong Kong to KL....that's 28 hours of transit time each way, so 3 vacation days burnt inside a tin cup at 36000 feet. An option might be to burn 10 days and stop in Hong Kong on the way back and do a short flight to Taiwan for the Challenge Taiwman half distance the next weekend. Then you get 2 events done over all that transit time!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Malaysia [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi there
Fly into the airport. Take a 20-30 mins short cab ride to Putrajaya (choose from Shangri-La, Pullman, Marriot hotels etc - check tripadvisor). I've done two Powerman races at Putrajaya. You could take a look at what the course could look like based on the Powerman course here - http://www.powerman.com.my/v14/index.php/race-info The swim will have to take place in the lake - haven't tried that before. The bike should be v fast. Think IM Melbourne with most of the course on very open highways/freeways. The run should also be relatively flat. As with all races in South East Asia, the main challenge will be the acute humidity and heat, certainly more than Challenge Taiwan. Although it's an inaugural race, the triathlon malaysia guys are very experienced and we should have less teething issues for the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just competed in the Powerman Duathlon last month and have to say it was a great race organisation wise. The course was easy to medium with some short but noticeable climbs on the bike but the main big issue as some have mentioned was the humidity and heat on the second run. As will every race I've done in Asia (which is all the IM branded races apart from Japan) there was plenty of drafting going on and not a lot of bike course marshals in attendance. The support in Putrajay was also quite poor except around the transition area as basically the place is an admisitrative outpost town with no real population. Sadly the timing doesn't work for me in 2014 otherwise I would definitely sign up though
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Malaysia [ZingUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any idea if this race is likely to sell out (or how to check entry numbers)?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Malaysia [newbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
newbike wrote:
Anyone have any idea if this race is likely to sell out (or how to check entry numbers)?

---

Can't help you with checking numbers but the chances of it selling out are minimal.I'll be very surprised if they get over 700 people racing.

---
Quote Reply