Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Brasil 2: Fortaleza 2014 announced
Quote | Reply
second IM date added in South America: Fortaleza, Brazil to be held 9 November 2014.

Link (portuguese):
http://www.mundotri.com.br/...de-novembro-de-2014/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Brasil 2: Fortaleza 2014 announced [elcartelduco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome...where is the WTC announcement? And is there an English translation button on that website somewhere?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is where I'm from.

It is going to be a very hard race, specially if it is a windy day. It is very likely that it will be hot. The roads will probably not be that great either.

Tiago
---------------------
Sponsors: : Blueseventy :
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, that is tempting!!!!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Brasil 2: Fortaleza 2014 announced [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Brasil 2: Fortaleza 2014 announced [wagner_araujo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. "Strong winds and heat" ... sounds like a clone of Cozumel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is Challenge coming to Brazil as well?
I came across a website for a Challenge Half Guarapari in Nov 2013:

http://www.challenge-barcelona.es/...ario-inscripcion/18/

No idea whether it's on though. I couldn't find anything else on it...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Brasil 2: Fortaleza 2014 announced [Cvro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If Challenge is coming to Brazil, first they will announce they are coming to a South American country, and let you know they will announce what country "soon."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had you posted this last week, I would have done this instead of Chattanooga :)

This just moved up on the list for 2015. Let's hope they can pull it off.

Quote | Reply
BrzilianTri wrote:
That is where I'm from.

It is going to be a very hard race, specially if it is a windy day. It is very likely that it will be hot. The roads will probably not be that great either.

So what you are saying is if this announcement is legit, WTC is not trying to appeal in any way to the North American triathlete with a down river swim, flat bike, and moderate temperatures? What are they thinking!?!?!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Brasil 2: Fortaleza 2014 announced [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they went where the local government offer the most money because I can't see why they would do the race there. Although they had a full iron distance around there that probably doesn't get many people to sign up. I also heard from a pro triathlete that it was the hardest race that he ever did. It will be very likely that the bike portion will be without many spectators unless it is a multi loop course. There is not a huge triathlon community there althou there are some good triathletes like Wesley Matos.

Looking at weather underground it looks like the weather is pretty predictable, a heat index around 90 or a little above with winds from the east at 15-20 mph.
It will be interesting to see where they actually have the race.

Tiago
---------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Brasil 2: Fortaleza 2014 announced [BrzilianTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take it you are NOT on the WTC payroll for promoting this race. Such honest assessments will not do much for getting a record sellout. But given your assessment, I can now stop waiting to see if the race actually gets announced. Because, I am a North American, I don't want ironman to be too hard.

Good luck to you and thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By the way, alhough the link says Barcelona - Espana, once you open it the page displays Guarapari - Brazil...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did notice that. Pretty sophisticated website if the race is not taking place. It has a lot more information about the race than the Challenge USA site has about a race that they have said is taking place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you done St Croix? How are the roads at Fortaleza compared to there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a big WTC fan and I don't really race any long distance study, only done a couple of halfs. I have been living in the US for a long time now.
This will probably be a good opportunity to qualify for Kona though.

Tiago
---------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Brasil 2: Fortaleza 2014 announced [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not done that race. The roads conditions can very a lot. It will be interesting to see where the race really is because there are triathlons in Fortaleza, right in the middle of the city and some there are at the beaches to the east and west of there.

Tiago
---------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've won an Ironman Distance event in Fortaleza back in 2006 when I was still racing professionally, the event was named "Cabra da Peste" a local slang for a tough person. The announcements definitely brought me good memories.

Conditions are very rough, its a wind tunnel with the temperature of a sauna. I've written a course review here:

What to expect from the new Ironman in Fortaleza, Brazil

http://www.ironguides.net/...in-fortaleza-brazil/

--
Vinnie Santana, Multisport Coach
http://www.ironguides.net
* * * Your best is our business. * * *
Last edited by: vinnie: Sep 12, 13 9:22
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Brasil 2: Fortaleza 2014 announced [vinnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vinnie wrote:
I've won an Ironman Distance event in Fortaleza back in 2006 when I was still racing professionally, the event was named "Cabra da Peste" a local slang for a tough person. The announcements definitely brought me good memories.

Conditions are very rough, its a wind tunnel with the temperature of a sauna. I've written a course review here:

What to expect from the new Ironman in Fortaleza, Brazilhttp://www.ironguides.net/...in-fortaleza-brazil/[/quote[/url]]

----

That is a great write up about what to possibly expect..Sure sounds like it could be an epic event but I think you will have scared off 99% of the Nth Americans.. A baking hot race in November with a non-wetsuit swim in choppy water followed by a windy ride on rough roads then a hot run...Lets not forget the long plane trip to a race in a "dodgy" country and you may have scared almoat everyone..

Sounds like a great race to me though ;-)

----
Last edited by: Nick Mallett: Sep 12, 13 9:40
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Brasil 2: Fortaleza 2014 announced [Nick Mallett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick Mallett wrote:
vinnie wrote:

What to expect from the new Ironman in Fortaleza, Brazilhttp://www.ironguides.net/...in-fortaleza-brazil/[/quote[/url]]

----

That is a great write up about what to possibly expect..Sure sounds like it could be an epic event but I think you will have scared off 99% of the Nth Americans.. A baking hot race in November with a non-wetsuit swim in choppy water followed by a windy ride on rough roads then a hot run...Lets not forget the long plane trip to a race in a "dodgy" country and you may have scared almoat everyone..

----

Sounds like the Americas just got its own Lanzarote.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
Nick Mallett wrote:
vinnie wrote:

----

----

Sounds like the Americas just got its own Lanzarote.

----

Well he did say there were no real climbs so maybe it is another Kona but with shit roads and no umbrella drinks..

----
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Brasil 2: Fortaleza 2014 announced [Nick Mallett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick Mallett wrote:
vinnie wrote:

----

That is a great write up about what to possibly expect..Sure sounds like it could be an epic event but I think you will have scared off 99% of the Nth Americans.. A baking hot race in November with a non-wetsuit swim in choppy water followed by a windy ride on rough roads then a hot run...Lets not forget the long plane trip to a race in a "dodgy" part of a "dodgy" country and you may have scared almoat everyone..

----

I've corrected the part about the dodgy country for you. :-D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrzilianTri wrote:
I'm not a big WTC fan and I don't really race any long distance study, only done a couple of halfs. I have been living in the US for a long time now.
This will probably be a good opportunity to qualify for Kona though.

Not sure about the good opportunity though as I can see quite a few of the fast German and French people going over tonhave a go at qualifying early. The flight from Europe should only be around 8hrs or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer hillclimbs in a sauna, but if it is a sauna in a windtunnel, that is also appealing. Where do you fly into from North America?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Brasil 2: Fortaleza 2014 announced [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's where Fortaleza may suck for North Americans... When I still lived in Brazil there were no direct flights from US or Canada to Fortaleza. So, one would need to fly South into Sao Paulo or Rio for 10+ hours depending on where he or she was coming from just to fly back North a good 3 or 4 hours. If you then throw all the waiting around in airports you could well end up with a painfully long voyage.
Having said that, if they picked Fortaleza one has to imagine they took that into account.
Maybe they could even do something like they do for the Marathon des Sables. People fly to Paris and from there there's a charter flight to Ouarzazate.
Quote Reply

Prev Next