Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM-6mo post-pregnancy with a toddler???
Quote | Reply
My husband thinks I am crazy. Trying to convince him this is doable! I want to sign up for IMOO Sept 2014. I am due with #2 Mar 1. I will have a newborn and a 21 month old and only have 6months post-delivery to REALLY train!! Keep in mind I don't plan on starting from zero as last pregnancy I was able to swim, bike and run (albeit not in training mode/speed) my whole pregnancy. I also plan to BF again with #2 and fingers-crossed a normal delivery....So that leaves me probaby 5 months once I get cleared to exercise again.

Crazy? Doable? Go...
TIA!!!
Quote Reply
Re: IM-6mo post-pregnancy with a toddler??? [DomerIMgal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can achieve whatever you put your mind to. The big unknowns are whether or not the baby will be incredibly fussy and suck up inordinate energy. Will you bounce back from pregnancy smoothly? How sleep deprived will you be for the first six to eight weeks? When do you head back to work? What kind of support will you have to take the time it requires to train to complete an IM? What's the plan to balance care for a newborn and a toddler.? It's a huge undertaking in the best of circumstances. If you have super support and the time to train, go for it! Congrats on #2. Best of luck to you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I replied to you on the main forum, but again, PM me if you want to discuss.
AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course it is possible.

Why IMOO 2014, why not wait another year (so IMOO in 2015) to get your life 'under control' and your body 'back to normal'. Additionally, many women get faster (at least with their run times) post-pregnancy. So instead of IMOO 2014, focus on short distances (tris, running races) to really bank on your new speed. It would give you a solid training base for IMOO 2015.

There was already a post commenting on your recovery and balancing life vs training. All really good points. But you should also consider - bonding time with the baby (might not be a problem if you are a stay at home mom, I dunno), nursing (maybe you're not, so it is not an issue), making sure your toddler has special mommy time (w/out the newborn) so they don't feel 'left out'.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course it is possible. I get wanting a goal, wanting your you time and wanting to not always feel like mommy.

I personally couldn't do it. My son is almost two and I have yet to resume serious training for anything. My son was a non-sleeper until he was one. I had a year of paid mat leave & I had grand visions of being "that woman" who just had a baby and could kick ass at racing. HA! Instead I stumbled around sleep deprived and felt like a superstar if I got out for a short bike ride, or took the dog & baby for a walk at the same time.

I guess it comes down to - how bad will you feel if you can't complete the goal? I'd rather pick something smaller & achieve it - but that's just me.

Just make sure that you train carefully and don't set yourself up for recurring injuries down the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi- I'm all for goals and setting the sights on an IM.... I am a 1xmom of a 12month old and as much as I had my heart set on racing again 5-6months after I had her, it just didn't happen. It wasn't a time thing but the body. Remember that the ligaments, tendons are still lax and the pelvis is super wonky for about a year post birth. You could train and race the IM, but you most likely will do some permanent damage to the integral biomechanics of movement (inparticular hips/hipjoints). I'm saying this as a sports doc and a mom. Definitely put the IMOO in your to do list, but push it off another year- think big picture of body health- you want to be physically active well into your later life, so take care of your structures now. (focus on shorter, faster stuff this next year to get base fitness and strength before you go full on into IM).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with your husband on this one.

IM is going to be there for quite a few years to come. Your kids are only going to be that age once in their life.

Sure, you can use that excuse at any age of their life but I think you're crazy to potentially miss out on that early time with them, not just physically but mentally because you're thinking about training and all the other things that come with IM.

Maybe have a good hard think about what you're trying to prove to who....

I was running 2 weeks post-delivery with the baby jogger, so it's not a question of 'can you'. It's a question of 'why would you'?.
Quote Reply
Re: IM-6mo post-pregnancy with a toddler??? [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree

As a mom of kids that are now out of the house, all I want is more time with them. I'm not saying that your life has to be only your kids. I think outside interests are very important. But maybe just the scale of things. Could you consider a shorter tri that doesn't take up so much time?
Also, the baby / toddler years are the years you get to spend with your kids. Once they start school, their peers rapidly become more important than parents. Enjoy the very limited time you have with your kids, and still do what you love, maybe at a less intense level.

Just my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you want to? What is your motivation?

I've seen more than one mom brag about pumping in the transition area of an Ironman. If you doing it for bragging rights, I can tell you that the majority of people are not going to be impressed, they are going to wonder about your judgement.

If you do it, more power to you, that is an incredible challenge to take on. If your motivation is in the right place, then you might find yourself supremely happy with your accomplishments.

Best of luck with your delivery and let us know what you decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IM-6mo post-pregnancy with a toddler??? [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nad wrote:
I agree

As a mom of kids that are now out of the house, all I want is more time with them. I'm not saying that your life has to be only your kids. I think outside interests are very important. But maybe just the scale of things. Could you consider a shorter tri that doesn't take up so much time?
Also, the baby / toddler years are the years you get to spend with your kids. Once they start school, their peers rapidly become more important than parents. Enjoy the very limited time you have with your kids, and still do what you love, maybe at a less intense level.

Just my opinion.

x2
My girls are nearly 18 and 15. My oldest will graduate this year and her plans include going to college far far away. The realization that my life is getting to change drastically is hitting me hard. I'd love to go back to when they were little. I've never completed an IM. Longest race I've done was a marathon and I always tried to pick training times that would not interfere with family time. Plus I didn't want to be so tired that I was a zombie during our family time. You can still train for tris. Just shorter ones. Enjoy your family because it goes by in the blink of an eye.
Quote Reply
Re: IM-6mo post-pregnancy with a toddler??? [stack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Remember that the ligaments, tendons are still lax and the pelvis is super wonky for about a year post birth. You could train and race the IM, but you most likely will do some permanent damage to the integral biomechanics of movement (inparticular hips/hipjoints)." (stack)

This sounds serious. My doc never told me about this. I know plenty of elite women athletes who resumed training after having a baby.

This really puzzles me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joining the chorus of "you probably could, but why would you??".

For what it's worth when I was pregnant (I only have one kid) I had some really grand plans of all the events I was going to do post-baby. I was SO excited to feel like "myself" again and for me that meant racing.

I was back on my bike a week and a half after he was born and running two months or so later. I actually found it surprisingly easy to get in workouts (again, one kid!) thanks to being able to ride the trainer during nap time, the baby jogger, and a gym with awesome childcare. Having said that, the realization that I came to was that I didn't really WANT to train that hard. I think as soon as I realized that I actually could do it I didn't feel the urge. I didn't really feel like I needed to prove anything to myself or anyone else, which I think is where a lot of my desire to do some badass stuff in that first year came from.

I'm definitely NOT saying that you can't or shouldn't do it or that you should put your own hobbies on the back burner. I ran and rode and went to yoga regularly this summer and did a bunch of running races (up to 15 miles). You just need to ask yourself if the sacrifices you will have to make in terms of time with your kids and stress on your family are worth it.

Long story short, I think it's doable ... but I wouldn't want to do it.
Last edited by: mtbchick: Sep 3, 13 7:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I'm not a parent, I can't respond to your crazy/doable question... but having read this thread, I am interested to know what you have decided to do! IMoo 2014 sign-ups are just around the corner. :D

Hope your pregnancy is going smoothly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wanted to do the same as you. My son was 17 months when my daughter was born. I was thinking only of regaining my fitness and returning to competition level (my own version, of course) and when my daughter was born, it took a few months to realize just how much they needed me. My son especially needed me more since he was no longer the focus of my life-- in his eyes. We didn't have any jealousy problems the first six months but they surfaced and are back again at the 12 month mark and he is 2.5. Since toddlers have little ability to control their emotions at this point developmentally-- and they aren't verbal enough to be able to tell you exactly what is wrong or how they are feeling, they need extra assurance of your love. Bonding and attachment are huge.

Fortunately for me, I injured my spine going back to training too soon. I had to quit completely before I finally realized my kids are far more important than my own notions of grandeur. Eight months later, after failed treatments, I had a 360 degree lumbar fusion (ALIF/PLF) in April and I haven't been able to lift or carry my kids yet. My daughter was only 7 months old; she needed/needs that time with me. Really, nobody can substitute for mom. I'm 33 years old and while I still desperately want to train, I won't trade this time with my kids for anything in the world. Who better than you to experience all of their firsts? If you do decide to train, maximize the quality time you spend with them. Some people check off boxes and assume they've satisfied their obligations. It's about so much more. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the pregnancy! I've had three myself and learned they were all different making it hard to predict. I'd echo some of the other comments where it's not an "if you can" rather than a "do you really want to".

Never done an IM, but more power to you if you do. I've finished two sprints four-five months postpartum. The physical aspect is one thing; probably easiest to overcome. Training time is a whole nother deal. If I wasn't also working, maybe more would be possible. happy with what I've done though.

Interested to hear what you've decided. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto so many in this thread. You can but why would you want to? I'm responding sitting next to my two week old daughter. Ive done 4 IMs. For me, I couldn't imagine resuming training shortly for an IM. I couldn't imagibe leaving her to go on a long bike or run right now. Something's got to give somewhere...when you put too much on your plate, everything ends up half assed. Your training will fall apart, you'll not get the most joy out of your little newborn, the relationship with your husband will be strained (esp if he thinks you're crazy to start), your toddler will feel the strain, etc.

Why not do something shorter or focus on something specific (faster swim/bike/run)?
Last edited by: Tri1016: Sep 10, 13 13:45
Quote Reply
Re: IM-6mo post-pregnancy with a toddler??? [Tri1016] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a new mom (my son is just over a month old) and having done an IM last year, I have to agree with all the previous replies - yes, doable maybe, but a bad idea for all the reasons already mentioned, plus you can never be sure what will happen during delivery and what your recovery will be like. I still have stitches from tearing and can't imagine sitting on a bicycle anytime soon, plus my joints still feel really loose.

I have to add that I think an IM 6 months post-baby would be an equally bad idea for a dad in the same scenario. If my husband wanted to do it, I'd be pissed!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course its doable, but I almost predict a divorce or problem kids in your future with that kind of a priority, at least based on my life. Of course I'm older, been divorced, kids grown up and look back on my life and see a similarity with us. At the time I was involved in other obsessive activities (not triathlon) and although my ex wife said it was "OK" my priorities should have been more family orientated. I regret it now, not the divorce, but not spending every possible moment with my kids when they were young. IM is not going anywhere but your time with your kids when they are small is. Not saying you're the same as me, but just giving my $.02.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the risk of sounding like a bad mom, I did an ultra distance triathlon (swim 5k, bike 200k, run 50k) nine months post-partum. I did not incur any injuries. I was very involved in my daughter's life during that time (and still am). My husband and I are still married. :)

I did a lot of my long runs pushing a stroller, staring down at my daughter's sleeping face and stopping occasionally to nurse on the side of the trail. If she happened to wake up I would keep her happy by singing to her while I ran. I have a lot of great memories from that time and I like to think those runs were actually something of a bonding experience for the two of us.

I was still nursing at the time of the race so my husband met me at aid stations with my pump, with permission from the race director.

Of course, you will have a toddler as well as a newborn so that adds a new dimension!

Anyway, everyone's situation is different and I completely understand where the other women on this thread are coming from, and why they might recommend against it. Just wanted to let you know that it can be done - without divorce or injury and I think without traumatizing your children for life, although I guess that remains to be seen. :)

Jessica Kelley
http://evergreenendurance.com
Last edited by: jkhs: Sep 10, 13 20:58
Quote Reply