Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First listing I've seen online for Fuelcell. Only $33 USD?

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/...l-black-id80320.html
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ekrub10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ekrub10 wrote:

It'll vary by country. $75 in the states.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [TxDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race report. Did TriRock Austin Olympic race yesterday. First race on the Shiv. I ended up taking mouth piece off the bladder hose and that solved all my bladder issues pre-race. So I went with fuelselage and water bottle between handle bars. I had a small bottle with toolkit behind Sitero saddle. I do not have a fuel cell - yet. I rode with HED FR 9/6 combo. Very light winds.

The course is three loops with a fair number of turns going through downtown Austin. I had my best ride ever for this distance. I was top 4 in AG and we were all less than a minute from each other. The bike is super fast and handled corners great. Very stiff. Riding this bike is so much fun I almost got carried away and forgot I had to run 10k!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ekrub10 wrote:

I just ordered it. $45 shipped total to USA. We'll see when I get it. I don't need it any time soon...

There was another UK shop... 35 pounds, about $55 usd delivered. They were expecting this in about mid Sept...

-------------------------------
Wife says "Too Many Bikes"
I disagree :-))
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hook us up with a link Mark, we want it.
I personally need one for IM Conzumel in December. Would be great if we could order from US and get it quickly. Money is not an issue for people with Shivs xD

-----------------------------------
Swim with swimmers, bike with cyclists, run with runners. Train with those who are hard to keep up with. Soon you will be hard to keep up with.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [TxDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had my s works shiv for 3 months now with about 1000 miles on it. Have had no problems with the bladder, works great and I use the open valve that came with the badder kit. Not the bite valve. The badder works so good all I have in front of me is my garmin, a really a clean setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [landho] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
landho wrote:
ekrub10 wrote:

I just ordered it. $45 shipped total to USA. We'll see when I get it. I don't need it any time soon...

There was another UK shop... 35 pounds, about $55 usd delivered. They were expecting this in about mid Sept...

Drat! Order was cancelled by vendor... Says Spec not allowing internet sales (for now)... Guess I'll just wait...

-------------------------------
Wife says "Too Many Bikes"
I disagree :-))
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [landho] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried to order it as well and my order was cancelled. That is bullsh*t if you ask me and seems like anti competitive behavior.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [changums] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why the price differential between UK & US?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
because we will pay it haha
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Exige] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exige wrote:
because we will pay it haha

Nope, was just a mistake in the UK. Target retail is referenced around $75 US. But consider the cost to add storage to the back of the saddle, etc. And as the aero post showed last week
(http://www.youtube.com/embed/LmURbiXPREM) the savings of hiding your fuel on the bike is about the same as aero helmets and aero wheels at 40 kph.

Big benefits for an OE spec'd Fuelselage, a cage mounted to a Sitero, and a Fuelcell added to the bike.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mark,

Did you guys test:

Fuelselage, Fuel Cell, and BTA, nothing on seat? Just curious.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dyarab wrote:
Hey Mark,

Did you guys test:

Fuelselage, Fuel Cell, and BTA, nothing on seat? Just curious.

In this test, we didn't test BTA in other configurations. Using the Sitero, the difference of having a bottle and cage there or not, is basically negligible. It's a bit different based upon rider size, back shape, and where they're sitting on the saddle.

For bottles between the bars, we'll have to get back with a lot of data on 15-30 athletes (might take us a few months to gather this data). I think the Cervelo data of 5 Watts saved in between the bars has been generalized as if it's 5 Watts for all riders. We see benefits to between the bar bottles and it's one of the best places to carry a bottle. However, we're continuing to see it's slightly drafting or slightly better than an "in the frame" bottle. However, it's not freespeed for everyone. Just less drag in a lot of cases.

The only "no-drag" aero ways to carry nutrition we've seen have been Fuelselage and a few rear saddle hydration solutions.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. No worries on accumulating data... I think it's cool you guys are doing this and sharing the data with everyone on the board. I think all of my fellow Shiv riders would agree. Can't wait for more data.

Until then... I'm just waiting for the Fuel Cell. :) Hope I can find before Augusta at the end of the month.

Thanks,
Daryle
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [COJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had the same BB noise and the local shop just greased it, but it didn't work. I am taking it back, but would like to know if your problem got fixed and how? I've heard that people had the BBs replaced and even then the noise didn't completely go away. I am really frustrated since it's a new bike and I am having issues with it only after 500 miles. I've also read that someone's SHIV was actually missing some balls in the bearings, but that's not my case - according to my shop. Another noise I have experienced is the carbon post rubbing on carbon frame, but that's something minor and I'm not too worried about that. The BB noise, however, is just obnoxiously loud especially in high gear.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [love2ride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

there's not a lot of info on real world performance of the Shiv about from my experience so I thought I would post my findings.

I got my new Shiv Comp set up and fitted earlier this week and took it out for a first quick spin on a dead flat, quiet road just round the corner from me today. I then took the road bike I use (a Giant Defy 4, no aero bars) out just after it. The difference in speed keeping my heart rate fairly constant on both bikes was around 1 mph. What I will say though is that even though I have been used to riding with aero bars on my road bike up until recently, the tri bike was clearly using the leg muscles in a different way and there is going to be a period of adjustment where my speeds are going to improve. I will post back and let people know over the next month or so.

The bike soaks up the vibrations in the road so much better than my aluminium road bike which I guess will also help keep speed up on the rough patches of tarmac that qualify for roads round this way.

Quite impressed early on, but time will tell!
Last edited by: ashcroft121: Sep 7, 13 2:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine has recently started this as well. It's REALLY bad while climbing. I haven't taken it in yet and probably won't until after Augusta at the end of the month. But I agree it is pretty f**king annoying.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dyarab wrote:
Mine has recently started this as well. It's REALLY bad while climbing. I haven't taken it in yet and probably won't until after Augusta at the end of the month. But I agree it is pretty f**king annoying.

So I took my Shiv to the shop today (again with the same noise problem) and the guy said that this is a common issue with the BB30. He literally said that these BBs need service a few times within one season. I, unfortunately, do not want to start paying for labor every 500 miles once my warranty expires. I am tired of having to "fix" my brand new bike. I am ready to sell it even though it's smooth and fast. If I wanted a bike that needs service every month I would not spend $4K on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just replace the BB and not the whole bike. FWIW I have had no issues with it on my shiv.

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [urbantriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
urbantriathlete wrote:
Just replace the BB and not the whole bike. FWIW I have had no issues with it on my shiv.

Yeah, the shop will replace the BBs so we shall see if it'll help. I climb a lot and that's when the noise is the worst.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crazy, I just picked up a replacement frame due to mine being warrantied for the seat bolt issue. My old one was amazingly quiet and I LOVED it, this one creaks and cracks like crazy! I took it back in the first day after the rebuild and no change. Interestingly, they used the BB out of my old bike where it made zero noise at all so I am completely lost on this one. I absolutely love how fast the Shiv is and until my recent issue I have been problem free. Specialized took care of my frame warranty really fast and I am sure we will figure this creaking/cracking sound out as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Shane_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shane_W wrote:
Crazy, I just picked up a replacement frame due to mine being warrantied for the seat bolt issue. My old one was amazingly quiet and I LOVED it, this one creaks and cracks like crazy! I took it back in the first day after the rebuild and no change. Interestingly, they used the BB out of my old bike where it made zero noise at all so I am completely lost on this one. I absolutely love how fast the Shiv is and until my recent issue I have been problem free. Specialized took care of my frame warranty really fast and I am sure we will figure this creaking/cracking sound out as well.

There are a 1,000 ways to diagnose, check, and fix these challenges. On the Shiv specifically, the BB is 42mm bore alloy BB30/OSBB compatible. We hold incredibly tight tolerances on these, so I recommend you work with your shop to get this sorted. We don't see too many issues with this style of BB so I'm surprised to hear so many recent challenges. Please PM me if you aren't getting the help from Specialized service or your shop that you need.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you use the quarq BB cup mount magnet on the shiv? Or is gluing the magnet to the frame the only option?

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like to know the answer to the quarq cup mount magnet myself. I had horrible luck with the fork type magnet - the chain jumped and broke the fork and the magnet attached itself to the chain which rotated and got stuck in the RD.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dannyh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dannyh wrote:
I would like to know the answer to the quarq cup mount magnet myself. I had horrible luck with the fork type magnet - the chain jumped and broke the fork and the magnet attached itself to the chain which rotated and got stuck in the RD.

I recommend a low pro quarq magnet glued or epoxied to the frame. This is the best for a consistent read.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply

Prev Next