Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dannyh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are great points of advice. We owe you guys and the whole Shiv community a bunch of videos on install, use, etc. I'll throw this out there - what videos do you want (product install and use AND/OR wind tunnel quick tests) us to build up and post?

Fuelselage - a bit tricky to get set up first few times, but once you get used to it, it's awesome. I 100% promise you. As a user of pretty much all hydration products over 20 years of racing, I love my fuelselage.

Fuelcell - I hid from this community for a bit because our first shipment into the US isn't landing until September. It's not vaporware - just needed to actually be produced. They will be $70 or $75 US Retail and will be around starting in September or spec'd OE on 2014 Expert and above bikes and modules.

Aero - what's your hit list? We can't do everything, but we do want to start doing a video every month or so on points of aero curiousity that answer a bunch of people's questions. We've been busy building the Win Tunnel over the last year and are finally into some solid athlete testing now. We've been doing R&D work since April, but the first slew of athletes are in now (Tim Don, Bevan D, Crowie have all been through now. Macca's here on Thursday).

All the best - ride fast!

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is great info Mark and as a Shiv owner, I can't wait to see some of the testing you guys can share with us with the new tunnel and I agree re: Fueselage...once you get it down, it really is great.

Do you have any other "new toys" in the works (e.g., trisuits)? As for testing - I'm curious re the actual advantage of Fueselage vs BTA.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool - we'll video the Fuelselage test. We've done this as an SBCU demo to dealers and it's pretty visible how bad a ST or DT bottle is. It's on the order of about 5 Watts in the 25 mph+ range.

And yea, we're working on a few things :)

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not much reason too as everything above is what I was gonna say but I had major issues as well and did not put the tube in the sleeve at first and failed to look at the pictures / video after that it was simple and easy every time. I use the open valve from specialized faced up and have had almost zero issues with that unless I hit a crazy bump.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Exige] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a couple of install videos:

Specialized Fuelselage Install Video
http://vimeo.com/40046984

Short Fuelselage Install Video I did a while ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxjCmMupEYs

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Testing and videos with various wheel combinations would be awesome. Stock Shiv versus some of the more popular carbon wheel combo's would be great info. Since this is such a big ticket upgrade I'm sure alot of people have the same questions. Plus, aero data would really help persuade my wife to let me buy new wheels this winter. Or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since most of us can't afford wind tunnel time, I believe that it would be great if you would compare the drag differences with the Shiv with a combination of wheel choices (as mentioned earlier), bottle placement, different helmet options... etc. You could tie in your other products or competitors products.

Essentially, you would give current or prospective Shiv (and other Specialized frame) owners an upper hand in aerodynamic advantages over competitors, by doing the wind tunnel work for us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MITaerobike wrote:

Fuelcell - I hid from this community for a bit because our first shipment into the US isn't landing until September. It's not vaporware - just needed to actually be produced. They will be $70 or $75 US Retail and will be around starting in September or spec'd OE on 2014 Expert and above bikes and modules.

Mark

Hey Mark,

Will the Fuel Cell be available to purchase on Specialized's website at the same time as it will be in retail stores?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jnielsen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jnielsen wrote:
Silly thing to validate, but it was my initial issue...make sure the tube is in the sleeve of the bladder...I didn't originally and couldn't get it to work either.

My advise...bag the camelbak style bite valueand go with the "open" option like a straw.

Sleeve of the bladder? Is that a new thing? I don't recall my fuselage having a sleeve. It has a hole up at the top black plastic mount for the tube to go through, and that's all I remember.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jmX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should be a clear sleeve on side of bladder. Feed through black hole on cover, down through sleeve and attach to black screw at bottom. Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark that's an easy answer. Play to your strengths.. I mean who else has their own wind tunnel??

In this and other forums there have been lots of questions about the new breed of aero helmets. (Air Attack, LG Course & Evade) While we have gotten data about some models testing better than others whats been the unanswered is how they compare in various angles (head up vs head down). It would be awesome to get some simple information about the Evade in a zero yaw at various head positions. (Is head down faster??) Even better would be a showdown against the other brands but that would not fit your definition of quick..

Other items could be aero impact to items like stem height, BTA placement nuances, FuelCell vs top tube bento box vs. top tube taped jells, Aero chainrings vs traditional, Sitero w rear bottle vs a dual side by side bottle setup, Ski Tip vs. S bends, 23 vs 25MM rear tires.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dyarab wrote:
MITaerobike wrote:

Mark

Hey Mark,

Will the Fuel Cell be available to purchase on Specialized's website at the same time as it will be in retail stores?

I think so but it'll depend upon availability -- we usually fulfill dealers with current orders from first shipments, then satisfy the web. I'll check!

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dannyh wrote:
Mark that's an easy answer. Play to your strengths.. I mean who else has their own wind tunnel??

In this and other forums there have been lots of questions about the new breed of aero helmets. (Air Attack, LG Course & Evade) While we have gotten data about some models testing better than others whats been the unanswered is how they compare in various angles (head up vs head down). It would be awesome to get some simple information about the Evade in a zero yaw at various head positions. (Is head down faster??) Even better would be a showdown against the other brands but that would not fit your definition of quick..

Other items could be aero impact to items like stem height, BTA placement nuances, FuelCell vs top tube bento box vs. top tube taped jells, Aero chainrings vs traditional, Sitero w rear bottle vs a dual side by side bottle setup, Ski Tip vs. S bends, 23 vs 25MM rear tires.

I dig it. We're getting a bit more data on athletes -- would like 10-20 athletes riding with TT2, Evade, and the S-Works + McLaren TT helmet before generalizing the helmet details. We're seeing greater benefits from some helmets based on head position relative to shoulders, so all data needs to be accompanied with data.

We're doing 8 athletes on the Retul Muv (fit bike) in the tunnel next week. We'll do some simple head stuff, I'll take some pictures, throw together the data and post it up here.

I especially like the general trend aero questions -- how to carry nutrition, tire width on a given rim, etc. Will work on building out a list of this for you guys.

Thanks for the ideas and quick responses,

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is the shiv faster with the fuelcell than without it?

is the sitero faster with a bottle installed than without?

my liquid & calories go in the Fuselage and BTA so just need to know if my spare tire should go in a fuelcell or behind the saddle and if I should carry a bottle behind the saddle even if its empty
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [alvaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alvaro wrote:

I think he has said in the past the you neither gain nor lose anything when using the fuel cell. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I just want one of the damn things!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are some pretty good ideas. The 23m and 25m for the rear is interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark,

Any chance that the Fuelcell will be available in Vegas for Shiv riders? I know, "nothing new on race day" but I would make the exception for that.

Thanks!

http://www.TeamRWB.org It's our turn!
Blazeman Warrior No. 387
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [alvaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alvaro wrote:

is the sitero faster with a bottle installed than without?

my liquid & calories go in the Fuselage and BTA so just need to know if my spare tire should go in a fuelcell or behind the saddle and if I should carry a bottle behind the saddle even if its empty

X2
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Tri14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

-Michael Welch My Blog
Supported by: TEAM ZOOT Swiftwick
For all your endurance shopping needs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone providing fuelselage advice. I have not given up on it! I'm going to keep playing with it to get it right.

I will say this about the bike- it's REALLY fast. I have a standard 25 mile loop that I do and a couple of weeks ago I did the loop at AT on my Madone road bike. I took the Shiv out for my inaugural ride on same loop and shaved 2.5 minutes off that time and was well below AT the entire ride. This bike is awesome. I was equally pleased how well this bike corners and climbs. Can't wait to throw on the race wheels and hammer this thing. Oly dist race on Labor Day!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MITaerobike wrote:

Mark

you should get your Kona AG racers to use the fuel cell (the same riders you guys are giving free Shiv shipping to). PM me and I'd be happy to ride over to Morgan Hill to pick up a demo unit ;-)

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timeout...is there free shipping to Kona for us w/ a Shiv this year or only in 2011...
Last edited by: jnielsen: Aug 28, 13 15:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where can you order just the fuelselage? I can't find it
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jnielsen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jnielsen wrote:
Timeout...is there free shipping to Kona for us w/ a Shiv this year or only in 2011...
http://www.specialized.com/...riathlon-portal-page

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! Big headache solved...TBT wanted to take my bike on 9/23 :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next