Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fractured Cheekbone
Quote | Reply
Has anyone had this happen to them? Did you get surgery? How long did it take to heal? Can I race on a fractured cheek bone?
Quote Reply
Re: Fractured Cheekbone [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends....
post a couple pictures from your CT scan in the coronal (looking at the face head on) and axial (looking at the head from the top) views, or a copy of your report, and I can give you an opinion.
Considerations include displacement of the fractured segment, other associated fractures (nasal bones, mandible, ethmoid,pterygoid, zygomatic arch, etc) or especially involvement of the orbital floor or rim.
Does your bite feel normal (like your teeth line up ok) when you clench down ?

RG
Quote Reply
Re: Fractured Cheekbone [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have the CT scan on me right now, but I will see if I can get it. The written report is extremely unhelpful. It says nothing valuable. My teeth are fine when I clench down. The doctor/surgeon said that the orbital is fine, but it's fractured in like three different places, and they are worried that it might sink in. Also, they think my sinuses are messed up and my saliva has been mixed spit and blood the last couple days. I'm not coughing it up or anything, but if I spit, you can see a little blood in it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a pretty good impact to cause multiple fractures. Might need to be reduced if your still having some bloody nasal drainage. I would hold off on any strenuous activity for now and avoid taking any NSAID's for pain that might promote further bleeding. Take your scan to a facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon for a second opinion (certified AAFPRS). If you call the radiology department they will burn you a disk. Here's a link to find someone in your area:
http://www.aafprs.org/...nt/finder/finder.cfm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
Has anyone had this happen to them? Did you get surgery? How long did it take to heal? Can I race on a fractured cheek bone?

I did a face plant 3 years back and fractured the zygomatic arch along with an orbital fracture. I did have to get surgery. They ended up putting in 4 titanium plates. ENT actually did the surgery and not plastic. Everything is done internally so no scarring whatsoever. The incision is inside you mouth between the gum line and the cheek. The other incision is at the corner of the eye lid. Surgery went well but the swelling took forever to resolve. I stayed off the bike for about 2 months. It took 2 months for the swelling to completely goes away.
Quote Reply
Re: Fractured Cheekbone [uncrx2003] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uncrx2003, I have a couple follow up questions for you.

My zygomatic arch and orbital fracture are in tact so I feel it's not as severe as you did. So was that the main reason you had to get it? because of the zygomatic and orbital fracture? After your surgery you said you stayed off the bike for two months? Did you swim or run? And did you stay off the bike just because? I feel as though swelling in my face would not have anything to do with me cycling. But this has never happened to me before so I could be completely wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost the exact same for me as uncrx2003. This was before my tri days, but I was back running as soon as my gumline incision healed back up. I still have something that appears to be a bit off as I sometimes get water up my nose, and can feel it drain to the lower cheek/gumline, then again it could just be a nerve ending giving a little different sensation there.

It sounds as yours is a little less complex, but if they are concerned about it sinking, ask about how they observe that (in relation to natural healing time) and at what point it becomes too late for surgery if you are unsure. I opted for surgery in order to avoid the potential risks of sinking, sight issues, etc. Best of luck!

Jeff Vanis' Blog | Challenge Family USA - Use code JVTRI15 to save 10% off your entry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was my decision to stay off the bike while the swelling was still there. If you want to bike, I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it soon. Didn't run or swim at the time. They decided to put in the titanium plates because the arch was basically collapse. They used a spoonlike lever to push the bone back out then put the plates in. If it's non displaced, I'm not sure surgery is warranted. They may just let it heal. If surgery is needed, it has to be done within 2 weeks or the bone will start to heal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It shouldn't sink in over time. It already is what it's going to be. Now, swelling may be masking the extent of the defect, but you should be able to notice it. It sounds like your surgery would be for esthetics, if you look fine?.....

Lefort fractures heal as lond as they're approximated, but often surgery is required to return to normal form.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never fractured a cheek bone but I just wanted to add some perspective. The body needs time to heal after sustaining traumatic injuries. Having made the mistake myself of coming back too soon from an injury I have learned not to get so worked up if I am out of training for a while. From my experience training when under stress whether that is physical or emotional does more harm than good. I am sure others will tell you to HTFU but unless Triathlon is your only means of income I would focus more on healing up and making sure your injuries don't cause problems in the future.

Triathlon will still be around when you get healed up.
Quote Reply
Re: Fractured Cheekbone [azoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
azoth wrote:
I have never fractured a cheek bone but I just wanted to add some perspective. The body needs time to heal after sustaining traumatic injuries. Having made the mistake myself of coming back too soon from an injury I have learned not to get so worked up if I am out of training for a while. From my experience training when under stress whether that is physical or emotional does more harm than good. I am sure others will tell you to HTFU but unless Triathlon is your only means of income I would focus more on healing up and making sure your injuries don't cause problems in the future.

Triathlon will still be around when you get healed up.

This was my approach. I didn't race or depend on racing for income. I just took my time to make sure everything was healed up before riding again. This was me at the time of the accident.

[URL=http://s948.photobucket.com/...zps5eff1bea.jpg.html][/url]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I crashed a little over a year ago and ended up with a right orbital rim and malar compound fracture, as well as concussion and a hematoma the size of a grapefruit of the right hip. A plastic surgeon on-call operated on me that very evening. He didn't have to do anything to the fracture at the junction of the frontal and malar bones because he didn't find any significant displacement. He ended up elevating the pieces of fractured bone using a hand-held drill and wiring the pieces together. The surgeon's report reads "Some 4-0 suture wire material was passed with suture passer and the central area of the infraorbital rim was attached to the other side with both being elevated. This created a stable arch though some of the smaller fractures were held primarily by periosteum."

I experienced swelling and discoloration for about six weeks following surgery, and bloody drainage from my sinuses for two weeks, although much of it came from the impact of face meeting asphalt. I wasn't allowed to exercise at all for two months, primarily due to the concussion, but after easing back into a training routine, I PR'd at a half marathon five months after the accident. I do wear wider goggles now (Aqua Sphere Kayenne) because the right orbital is still a little sensitive. I also seem to have some residual numbness in some areas because of damaged nerves, but if that's the only permanent damage sustained from the accident, I'm very thankful.
Quote Reply