Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Keith A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My shiv Pro...

I have to agree with GsterB. The Sitero is amazingly comfortable in aero position. Not so much out of aero Whistle
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Keith A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used zip ties to attach a garmin cadence around that same area
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [mancala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got a callback about the availability of the Fuelcell and the Evade helmet.

3rd week of September...
Last edited by: dannyh: Aug 19, 13 19:32
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dannyh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been calling and waiting on these too. In Dallas as well..
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [tenzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any suggestions for a hardcase for flight transport, that works very well with a Shiv Pro and a pair of 808's?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [kborst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the Tri All 3 case and it works great.
Buy a bunch of the pipe insulation tubing and cut it to size.
Duct tape it in place. Where the tube is very wide use pipe insulator on both sides of the tube. Buy some extra Velcro strapping to really secure all the pieces.
If you don't want TSA to mess with the bike packing then only pack the bike in the case and nothing else. The more they can see the less likely they are to undo something.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dannyh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
local shop in st. Louis (Mesa Cycles) has 9 or 10 Evade helmets in stock per there facebook page.

---------
Specialized Shiv
Scott Addict
Niner Jet 9
Niner RLT
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got a Shiv yesterday, 2013 Expert medium size. The fuelselage so far is disappointing for the following reasons:

1. Could not get it installed without routing a coat hanger through the tube to shove it down. I got it in and it took a full water bottle's worth of water so I assume it's not bound up in any way. However, if I have to use a coat hanger every time I need to remove and re-install the bladder then it's not very practical accessory.

2. I cut the drinking tube length so that it attached to magnet at end of aero bars, with some slack. But this still is very short and difficult to drink out of.

3. It takes a LOT of suction to get any water to pass through it - almost impossible to drink out of while riding. Is this normal?

At this point, the system is unusable.

I would appreciate any ideas on how to do a better set up. Other than this issue, the bike is crazy fast and comfortable. Love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [TxDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Camelbak Bite Valve attached to the straw should work wonders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fuel sealage takes a little learning but I can get it installed in 20 seconds every time now. Keep practicing.

Also, don't use the bite valve and you will be fine with drinking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed only takes a few seconds to install. Must be doing something wrong. Try putting water on the outside of it or baby powder.

---------
Specialized Shiv
Scott Addict
Niner Jet 9
Niner RLT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have the Fuel Cell yet? Price?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same challenges when I first got mine but now it's no problem now. First, get rid if the specialized bite valve and use something different. Second, make sure you install the bladder straight up down. In the front of this thread or on Specialized website there are some pics. If you try and fish it down it gets bound up. Third, get a Camelbak tube director and slide that over the tube (it takes some work so I used dish soap). You'll be able to position the tube wherever you want and can fine tune the position with a little electrical tape or a zip tie. I have mine so it sits about 3" below my face when in the aero position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, how did you rig your tube in upright position? I saw the pic but couldn't tell how it is configured.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its tricky but if you lean the sealage towards the stem and then push down it goes in real easy. If you have it leaning towards the seat post, then it will have a lot of friction and not slide in very easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the two statements above. Camelbak bite valve and simply USE your fuelselage. I did not like mine at first...now...I have it figured out. Alot of people use baby powder on the outside of the bladder to help it slide into the DT.....many use hangers. I have a hanger that I use....its bent in the middle..back onto itself. Like a long U. I put the bent end INTO the bladder to push the bladder down into the DT. When it is in place...i move the hanger around to undo any kinks....then pull out the hanger. Put a little water in there. I then give the fuelselage a "BJ". Yes, I cover the bite valve...squeeze my mouth onto the fuelselage opening and blow, inhale, blow. Then put the rest of the water in there. This all sounds like a big hassle...but it takes me <30 seconds now.

Also, I dont pull the bladder out after every ride. I DO make sure that it is empty. There may still be a few drops of water however if you....clean it with a tablet occasionally and flush it when you refill it.....you will be fine.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ekrub10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ekrub10 wrote:
Anyone have the Fuel Cell yet? Price?

I'm beginning to think this is an urban legend and that this product doesn't really exist!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LBS said should be in any day - no word on price though.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe the guys at TriRig can make something! Would be nice to have an independent make something that works..
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jmeitz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just picked up my new Evade today!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ekrub10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My LBS said fuel cell early September with price of $70.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I received similar quote/ estimated delivery from my lbs.

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As the unit gets used a bit it will become more pliable. Also with a little more experience you will get a better "feel" for it. With that said (and others may laugh) i use the somewhat crimped & curved coat hanger for installation because it works flawlessly and gets it perfect the 1st time.

The difficult suction sounds like a crimped hose someplace.

I would recommend the Ospry bite valve because it includes a slick integrated magnet and easily obtainable when you need another. $10 @ REI

I have no issues with the hose length. Mine is mounted approx 1 inch behind the FD - Shifter with a rare earth magnet on the bar

For the rare earth magnet install I used a dab of hot glue to hold it in place - then put a single piece of thin black duct tape lengthwise around it and the bar. Lastly i cutout the magnet area from the black bar tape. (this makes the overall tape smooth but also minimizes the material between the 2 magnets which keeps it from popping loose in extreme situations)

Don't give up on the internal hydration its awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [COJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
COJO wrote:
I second the two statements above. Camelbak bite valve and simply USE your fuelselage. I did not like mine at first...now...I have it figured out. Alot of people use baby powder on the outside of the bladder to help it slide into the DT.....many use hangers. I have a hanger that I use....its bent in the middle..back onto itself. Like a long U. I put the bent end INTO the bladder to push the bladder down into the DT. When it is in place...i move the hanger around to undo any kinks....then pull out the hanger. Put a little water in there. I then give the fuelselage a "BJ". Yes, I cover the bite valve...squeeze my mouth onto the fuelselage opening and blow, inhale, blow. Then put the rest of the water in there. This all sounds like a big hassle...but it takes me <30 seconds now.

Also, I dont pull the bladder out after every ride. I DO make sure that it is empty. There may still be a few drops of water however if you....clean it with a tablet occasionally and flush it when you refill it.....you will be fine.

+1 These are perfect tips and what i do.

The only other thing i would offer. At the end of the ride blow any remaining water that's in the tube back into the bladder. open the water entry flap, grab the fork and seat tube and turn the bike upside down and shake. Within 10 seconds you will be set for the next ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jmeitz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Silly thing to validate, but it was my initial issue...make sure the tube is in the sleeve of the bladder...I didn't originally and couldn't get it to work either.

My advise...bag the camelbak style bite valueand go with the "open" option like a straw.
Quote Reply

Prev Next