Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: the hierarchy of aero [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its not just tight fit; that's only part of the equation. It's covering the skin, which happens to be a very poor surface aerodynamically. Beyond that, you texture the fabric so it acts as a boundary layer trip. Most tri suits are sleeveless and expose the shoulders and part of the back. That slows an athlete down. Cover the shoulders and upper arms, and you'll go faster.

Crowie, Dibens, Cave, Joyce, Mckenzie, Jackson, and more have been here in the past few months. We ARE testing against what they're wearing, and numbers don't lie; they are who we get the numbers from. Call around, many manufacturers are working on sleeved kits right now based on our testing and results (okay, they may not admit it). I'm just not convinced its worth the extra time in transition for a non-wetsuit legal race, though I'm hoping to test something this week that might change everything.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: the hierarchy of aero [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Getting fatter often/sometimes reduces drag.

Rounder shapes! I suspect that a big beer gut would be quite good for aero if you could figure out how to get low and still pedal.

Quote Reply
Re: the hierarchy of aero [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
many manufacturers are working on sleeved kits right now based on our testing and results (okay, they may not admit it). I'm just not convinced its worth the extra time in transition for a non-wetsuit legal race, though I'm hoping to test something this week that might change everything.
I've occasionally wondered whether zip on sleeves could be designed to be fast.
Quote Reply
Re: the hierarchy of aero [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:
many manufacturers are working on sleeved kits right now based on our testing and results (okay, they may not admit it). I'm just not convinced its worth the extra time in transition for a non-wetsuit legal race, though I'm hoping to test something this week that might change everything.

I've occasionally wondered whether zip on sleeves could be designed to be fast.

I wonder about these:

http://www.desotosport.com/product/CW

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm actually on the market for a new suit and was looking at the Octane (based on this thread) and also the Skinfit model which appears to go down the arms and has longer legs...can we expect all companies to starting heading down this path? Outside of non-wetsuit swims, there is really no reason not to wear something like that if it doesn't have too large of an effect on the run? Does this also explain the testing on someone's blog that compression socks tested the fastest of all race kits?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We ARE testing against what they're wearing, and numbers don't lie///

I don't doubt that your numbers don't lie, unfortunately we do not race in a tunnel. Personally if i were racing i would put on some sleeves, but that takes just a couple seconds, so not a big factor in missing the train on the bike. My point is that what material is it that makes you so fast but also won't cook you on the bike? Also keep in mind that for most of the race you are in a crosswind, so the numbers you get and what are really available are going to be different.

I applaud what you are doing and I'm sure at some point it will be a benefit to the athletes. Like we have both said, tactically it won't make sense if it takes too long to make the change. Riding 10m behind a rider has to be worth waaay more than the supposed 4 minutes for a new suit. But some quick arms with a breathable material is certainly a viable option. I figure i could put on the clumped arms in under 8 seconds and then do the roll down and up on the move at full speed, so not too much to catch up..
Quote Reply
Re: the hierarchy of aero [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Getting fatter often/sometimes reduces drag.

Rounder shapes! I suspect that a big beer gut would be quite good for aero if you could figure out how to get low and still pedal.

That's not a beer gut, it's a "belly fairing" ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: the hierarchy of aero [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's too bad this wasn't a secret for a little longer...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
I wonder about these:

Interesting.

My own tests with otherwise tight jerseys with the zipper either up at the neck or just part-way down make me think that if air can find a way in it will. That makes me wonder whether that's a robust design (robust in the sense of "it may be good if it's tight and smooth but if you get a gap somewhere will it be disastrous?").
Quote Reply
Re: the hierarchy of aero [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
unfortunately we do not race in a tunnel.

Which is why we don't test in a tunnel! :-)

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
monty wrote:
unfortunately we do not race in a tunnel.

Which is why we don't test in a tunnel! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0PIdWdw15U
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so tired of this "in the real world" meme

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: the hierarchy of aero [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Next up: "aero only matters if you're already fast."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:

Followed by "all aero bets are off in a sprint due to the side to side motion of the bikes" :-/

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:
I wonder about these:

Interesting.

My own tests with otherwise tight jerseys with the zipper either up at the neck or just part-way down make me think that if air can find a way in it will. That makes me wonder whether that's a robust design (robust in the sense of "it may be good if it's tight and smooth but if you get a gap somewhere will it be disastrous?").

Anyone think a De Soto long sleeve skin cooler would be faster than a normal Tri top.

Am thinking about wearing the long sleeve tomorrow in Canada after reading this. .

http://www.desotosport.com/product/LST1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
.... For tri, you're giving up minutes if you're not using a Pearl Izumi Tri Octane. Seriously, that suit is amazing.

Whooo Hooo! I bought one on sale at TriSports! Haven't raced in it yet. I really had no idea that it was fast. Bought it because it was on sale and looked cool. A little weird that it has sleeves, but I guess that's the whole point.

gonna' take it out for its first race in a few weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: the hierarchy of aero [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
RChung wrote:

Followed by "all aero bets are off in a sprint due to the side to side motion of the bikes" :-/

You just need to pump up your tyres more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Its not just tight fit; that's only part of the equation. It's covering the skin, which happens to be a very poor surface aerodynamically. Beyond that, you texture the fabric so it acts as a boundary layer trip. Most tri suits are sleeveless and expose the shoulders and part of the back. That slows an athlete down. Cover the shoulders and upper arms, and you'll go faster.

Crowie, Dibens, Cave, Joyce, Mckenzie, Jackson, and more have been here in the past few months. We ARE testing against what they're wearing, and numbers don't lie; they are who we get the numbers from. Call around, many manufacturers are working on sleeved kits right now based on our testing and results (okay, they may not admit it). I'm just not convinced its worth the extra time in transition for a non-wetsuit legal race, though I'm hoping to test something this week that might change everything.

I was hoping to see this as those of us that race in team issued kits are very limited in options...well, not limited, we have one...lol

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team