Prev Next
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Any Canadians with/had a hip labral tear here? [Hutch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Hutch...
Quote Reply
Re: Any Canadians with/had a hip labral tear here? [hip_guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had labral tear repair surgery completed by Dr Nick Mohtadi in Calgary. My family doctor recommended that I choose only the very best surgeon to repair my hip and that I travel to that surgeon and sit on a longer waitlist if necessary. I think this was excellent advice. In many cases, medical imaging is not yet sophisticated enough to diagnose hip problems in detail, leaving surgeons without the option to map out the details of a procedure in advance. Very few surgeons are comfortable enough with hip arthroscopy to manage this uncertainty. I would recommend Dr Mohtadi to anyone needing hip surgery in Western Canada. He is a very knowledgable and skilled surgeon. He is based at the University of Calgary Sports Medicine Centre.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Canadians with/had a hip labral tear here? [pelagia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm so happy to read through this thread.. some very good info. I'm a 32 year old woman and was diagnosed with a hip labral tear about 10 years ago by an ortho surgeon in Kitchener. After calling the office for months, I was never able to get a referral to someone who could fix it, so I just gave up. I had even found a doc online (Dr. Day in Vancouver) who did the same surgery for Mario Lemeauix, and gave this doctor's number to the surgeon, and still nothing. The pain in the beginning was mild and only really worsened after a lot of running, or if I sat for too long. These days it aches all the time and I can't sleep on my right side. The day after running around a baseball diamond I am limping! I called the surgeon's office last week and apparently my records have been destroyed.. Yesterday I saw my family doc who is sending me now for a new xray. Not sure what the point of getting an xray first is when I already know an MRI with dye will be needed to see the tear.. but I guess they have their procedures to follow.

I'm grateful for the names of the S. Ontario surgeons who can do hip arthoscopy now.. thanks everyone. I will be sure to pass these on to my doc when I eventually get re-diagnosed. I just hope it doesn't take too long because I'm really struggling this summer. At least my bf is out of commission with an injury as well so we can sit around lazily together!

For those of you who have had the surgery already, did your surgeon give you a referral to a physiotherapist who is familiar with this type of surgery, or did you just go to any physiotherapist? Also, how long did you have to stay off your hip afterwards?

Thx!
Quote Reply
Re: Any Canadians with/had a hip labral tear here? [smann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I just read your post and am fascinated by your story in particular. I've had similar pains and constant muscle tightness and now have a labral tear. I've spent 3 years searching for answers only to get worse. I haven't been able to work out at all since an injury (the tear) 3 years ago and have lax ligaments all over the place. The ligaments are being treated with prolotherapy as is the labral tear - not surgery, but if that does not work, I wouldn't be surprised if I also had a hip/pelvic issue. My hips have never been 'straight', I have slight scoliosis and my pubic symphysis is off. I'm guessing a surgery something like your wife's or yours may be in my near future and if you wouldn't mind communicating with me, I'd appreciate it very much.

My e-mail address is chornitza@hotmail.com.

Thank you,
Jelena
Quote Reply
Re: Any Canadians with/had a hip labral tear here? [Jelena] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This forum and the information contained is a blessing to me. Seriously!

About 25 years ago I was involved in a serious motorcycle accident (slammed into a car at 80 km/hr). While there were no broken bones, there were brain injuries and the seam and stitching on the right leg of my leather trousers disintegrated (almost as if my leg expanded enough to pop the seam completely.) Since then I've been in constant pain with my right hip, getting worse month by month. Each Doctor and Ortho I see sends me off for Xrays, bone scan, ultrasound, find nothing and recommend physio. Been there, done that, no results. I recently asked my GP for a re-assessment and while waiting for the appointment, came across information about Labral tearing. The xrays he ordered of course came back negative and he was not inclined to refer me to an Ortho. Good thing I went prepared with papers on Labral tears, as he knew nothing about it. And now with the information contained in this forum on who can do the proper assessment and repair work, I'm finally feeling hopeful after 25 years of pain and leading a restricted life.

Thank you all for the information shared!!
Quote Reply
Re: Any Canadians with/had a hip labral tear here? [Vapour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope you will get the surgery and please let us know how it goes for you.
I am scheduled for labral repair in about 10 months with Dr Beaulé in Ottawa.
After compensating on the right hip for so long, the latter is also falling apart now but I keep a smile on.

25 years with the same pain is incredible. It has 'only' been 2 years for me and the agony is hard to describe at times.
You are brave and suffered long enough.
Now win that 649 and go to Vail Colorado to meet Dr Philipon!
We need more Hip labrum surgeons in Canada.

By the way, that is what caused Lady Gaga to stop her tour.

Only fools never change their minds and I'll never change my mind about that.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Canadians with/had a hip labral tear here? [Westpoint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in Toronto, Ontario, and have been reading this entire thread with great interest. Looks like I will need to get a surgical opinion and probable hip arthroscopy or other hip surgery to deal with FAI. The consensus seems to be that Dr. Lucas Murnaghan is the best doctor locally for this type of surgery, and many of you have been to see him. Yet he is listed as a pediatric surgeon who does not see patients above college age. Are any of you who have seen this doctor above college age? I am 46 and thus far out of this range, but if this doctor does in fact see older patients I would love to know.

I would also be very interested in your commentary on wait times for this doctor and for possible alternative surgeons in the area. I am also considering asking for a referral to either Dr. Christine Young, Scarborough Hospital; Dr. Rajiv Gandhi, Toronto Western Hospital/UHN; Dr. Sebastian Rodriguez-Elizalde, Humber River Regional Hospital; or Dr. Mark Ginty, Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital.

Many thanks, in advance, for any information you may be able to provide--I'd be most grateful.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Canadians with/had a hip labral tear here? [soya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am seeing Dr Ackerman in Kamloops BC. I have had 2 sets of x rays and will be getting a MRA, in other words a MRI with the dye. He seems very thorough. I feel really good under his care. However, he prefers open surgery but told me when we reach the decision making phase that if I really want arthroscopic that he will recommend me to someone. Does anyone know much about which is better? Open or arthroscopic.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Canadians with/had a hip labral tear here? [Loretta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there, just wondering if anyone has had surgery with Danny Whelan at St. Mike's and know how many surgeries he has done for hip FAI and labral tearing? Also, if anyone has traveled to the US to have it done, and who is best there and what is the cost usually? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Any Canadians with/had a hip labral tear here? [msm84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well add my name to the list of Canadians that need hip surgery. I have been referred to Dr. Naudie in London and have just received a call for surgery date. July 2014. That is 11 months away and I can barely walk now. I have talked to the local MP about trying to get some assistance if I can find another surgeon that will be willing to take me on as a patient and have an earlier surgery date. I am in the process of looking to find another surgeon but after reading these posts it sounds like I might have a good surgeon already and the wait time will be about the same. I am feeling a little overwhelmed by the thought of doing nothing for another year. Any help from you forum posters on what I may also be able to try?
Quote Reply
Re: Any Canadians with/had a hip labral tear here? [Mrman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry about that but I recently had a Hyaluronic acid hip injection (product is called Synvisk) to relieve my labral tear + femoral head necrosis.
People refer to it as viscosupplementation. Read about it as opinions are diverging.

As for me, I went from no sports at all after IMFL to swimming, biking and jogging (not running yet) again. Not race fit though but livable, bearable and much easier on the joints (at least for 6 months...)

Not covered by Ohip, $500 (ouch) and performed by an MD with an ultra-sound technician guiding him.
Super long syringe (ouch again) and 2 days of pain then... labral pain GONE.
I am a believer but as always, I assume results vary and it may not yield the same results for you.

Let me know if you are interested and want more info. I only know that one doctor in Ottawa (Dr Gauvreau) but I trust him. I do not know about other doctors performing that injection in Ontario.

Quote Reply
Re: Any Canadians with/had a hip labral tear here? [Bancarel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much. If anything it gives me something else to research. I will ask my doctor more on it aswell. Thank you again.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Canadians with/had a hip labral tear here? [Bancarel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried Durolane? It costs about $350 ($280 at Costco) and is similar to Synvisc.

I had this injection done at the hospital by doctor referral. I had Durolane filled by my pharmacy ahead of time (as it needs to be ordered in). A radiologist did the injection under x-ray guidance and told me about the cheaper price at Costco. From what I understand you don't have to be a member to use Costco's pharmacy but you do need a prescription.

Early in 2013 OHIP decided to no longer pay for the procedure and hospitals are now charging a fee to have it injected on the premises. This makes me mad as OHIP will still pay to inject cortisone into your hip but not viscosupplementation.
Last edited by: barbis9: Sep 20, 13 1:39
Quote Reply
Re: Any Canadians with/had a hip labral tear here? [Mrman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It takes 9 months to get in to see Dr. Ayeni and then there is a 2-3 year wait for surgery. You can get your hip replaced sooner than having it repaired in Ontario.
Last edited by: barbis9: Sep 20, 13 1:10
Quote Reply
Post deleted by barbis9 [ In reply to ]
Re: Any Canadians with/had a hip labral tear here? [msm84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I have just met with Dr Whelan at st mikes 2 weeks ago. His assistant did all the work and ran the appointment, Danny came in at the end said 3 words told me he is booking 9 months out for surgery and walked out... Arrogant to say the least. His assistant Brian was very good knowlegable and has had the surgery so that was assuring. Was told i could go home that night does anyone on hear know if that is true and if so a good idea?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Any Canadians with/had a hip labral tear here? [barbis9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just reviewed this forum again now that I am actually set to have the surgery.
I was diagnosed almost 3 years ago with a labral tear by my reuhmatologist but had to see 3 other doctors before a final yes that's what it is and we'll operate diagnosis.
Finally, I think I'm set for surgery in November with Dr. Ayeni in Hamilton. He came highly recommended to me so I hope the 1 1/2 year since consult will be worth it.
For the person who was asking about East Cost doctors who do this surgery....Dr. Wong moved from Hamilton to Halifax last summer and set up his practice (I think he works with Dalhousie University now). I saw him before going to see Dr. Ayeni.
I'm seeing lots of wonderful post-surgery stories on here which gives me great hope for a full recovery. I'm wondering what it's like right after surgery though...ie weight bearing, pain level, mobility level. I am planning for quite an extended time off work (I do childcare). Just wondering what to expect in the first few days/weeks.
Any thoughts??

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Any Canadians with/had a hip labral tear here? [Westpoint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Wong moved to Halifax from Hamilton last summer and I believe has set up practice with privileges through Dalhousie.
He was highly recommended to me before he left and seemed very knowledgeable and friendly in during the one consult I had with him.
Hope this helps!
Quote Reply
Re: Any Canadians with/had a hip labral tear here? [barbis9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been suffering with hip pain since the birth of my first child in June. I have seen several therapists - chiro, physio etc. but it was my osteopath that suggested a labral tear. After researching the symptoms etc. i'm afraid that is what i am dealing with on both hips. I am a yoga teacher and pretty terrified that i will not be able to return to my yoga practice. It is pretty disheartening to hear of the wait times for a consult and then the procedure. Unfortunately, i am not in a financial position to go to the US but that seems to be the only way to get this done any quicker. Thank you for the information on Drs. in the area. I will begin the process of trying to see someone! I am 33 and would like the option of repair vs. debridement if possible. I am hoping to hear from those of you who have undergone the procedure and how recovery is going. Thank you, thank you for all the posts - i feel better hearing all this anecdotal information vs. just clinical facts.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Canadians with/had a hip labral tear here? [hip_guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hutch, wondering if you would feel comfortable to know how you are doing currently? It sounds like you are very active and would represent a good outcome!
Quote Reply
Re: Any Canadians with/had a hip labral tear here? [Nancathia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had surgery almost exactly a month ago and am doing well. I had a labral tear (almost torn in two) in my right hip. They were able to repair the tear and shaved a bit of the bone (to make sure the problem that caused the tear does not return). My surgeon was Dr. Ayeni out of Hamilton and he was wonderful. It was a long, frustrating wait...6 months for the consult and over a year for the surgery (I know the waits are longer now), but in hindsight worth it. I am now in physio and am recovering well. Had 2 1/2 weeks on crutches (no weight bearing), and over the past weeks have progressed from one crutch to just a cane. I still get stiff but am not experiencing anywhere near the pain I had previous to the surgery. I am not back to work yet (i work in childcare). I was worried like you that I had an issue with my other hip as well but after having an MRI with dye done on it, my surgeon has said that although there may be something there, it is not surgical at this time and he thinks with strengthening, it will not cause me much trouble. Hope this information helps you.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Canadians with/had a hip labral tear here? [Nancathia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a mosaicplasty (think bone graft) on my femoral head, labrum got cut (repair was not possible) and cam impingement got fixed.

9 weeks later I can swim, bike without resistance, I cannot run nor jog yet. Swimming helps a lot, rowing works as well.

I had it done abroad ($10000 altogether, in debts for years...), better timing would probably had it covered by OHIP but decisions had to be made quickly to go back to normal and somehow 'salvage' whatever would be left of my 2014 season .

Your labrum fix could also be covered if you can have 2 or 3 surgeons stating they cannot operate before a 'reasonable' amount of time.
Be super patient though and get cracking on the paperwork asap if you are considering out of province surgery.

Labrum turned out to be the least of my worries and since surgery the pain is almost completely gone (the labrum one that is).

Rebuilding my quad is a painstaking process, 4 weeks without load-bearing positions on my left leg did some serious damage.

Hyaluronic acid provides relief until surgery (good for 6 months) It is about $400 (not covered) but it worked for me and allowed me to make it in more or less one piece till surgery.

Voilà,
if you have any questions don't be stranger.

Last edited by: Bancarel: Dec 6, 13 18:12
Quote Reply
Re: Any Canadians with/had a hip labral tear here? [blondie 44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are you doing now post op? I too, have been diagnosed w Labral tear after Several months of hip pain/stiffness. Set up for a cortisone shot next month as I await patiently or more impatiently to see dr yanni in Hamilton. I understand the wait to be long and surgery longer...no cycling; minimal running :( sucks
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Any Canadians with/had a hip labral tear here? [Jenham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing really well!! Hope the cortizone shot works for you...they told me it would last 3 months and it felt great at first - no pain at all for a month but that was it.
I did wait quite a while for the surgery with Dr. Ayenni in Hamilton. In hindsight, it was worth the wait! I am now about 7 weeks post surgery and feel wonderful!!! I still get achy but the pain is nothing compared to the stabbing I used to feel beforehand. I have been in physiotherapy since the end of November and my therapist says I am doing very well...I now only use my walking stick outside (due to the snow), inside I don't need it anymore.
You're right about no running for a while but I do use a stationary bike every day (when I can). I have already been able to do somethings that I have not been able to do in years (since the pain began) like squat down and not need help getting up...a small thing but exciting to me!
I know how frustrating the wait is, but now, post-op, I can honestly say hang in there! it is worth the wait!!
The surgery itself was ok...painful right after but the recovery has been much quicker than I expected!! I was told initially that it could be up to 6 months before I go back to work (childcare), now they are thinking more like less than 3.
Hope this info helps...feel free to ask me anything else...
Quote Reply

Prev Next