Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? August 19 Edition
Quote | Reply
Congrats to mdiane for being on the swim yardage leaderboard on the ST training log twice last week!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Aug 19, 13 7:20
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 19 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M - 4.5 mi run + yoga + 5 mi run + 2 mi walk
T - 9.5 mi run + 1 mi walk
W - 9.3 mi run (hill workout) + 1 mi walk
T - 42 mi bike
F - 8 mi run + yoga
S - 14 mi run (easy 2 hrs flat) + 1 mi walk
S - 10 mi run (77 min.) + 4 mi walk

My goals had been to get rid of my cold (done) and have bike time greater than run time (not done). Rough time with my eating issues and that resulted in a lot of running.
Goal for the week is to ride 4 days and pull my head out of the sand. I ran and rode this morning and am happy to say the bike time is greater than the run time :-)

I am thinking of a century ride the first weekend of Sept. (I think it's the 8th). I've never done one and it would motivate me to put some good miles in on my bike over the next few weeks. Last week I did two 50+ mile rides --- I have been doing that distance for a bit - is 3 weeks too little time to build to a century? If so, I think there are 70 (maybe 80) mile options too. I am mostly worried about lower back soreness. Any thoughts from the experienced cyclists out there? It would be good for my head to have a goal... :-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sept 8th? If you keep upping the miles the next two weekends you should be OK. You could always do a metric century first ;-)

Last week was vacation in OR/WA. I was sherpa-ing for P on Sat for his first XTERRA where he did amazing (and is now hooked). Watching the racing really make me kinda sad, like I've missed it. I was scheduled to race the 10k trail run the next day and was all mentally ready to do it, even though I haven't been running due to this hip issue. But I had a crummy sleep and woke up with a really stiff lower back and hip, so I bailed on it. That also made me sad. I don't like to DNS. But the weather was great and our little house on the beach in Pacific Beach WA was fantastic. We spent 5 days with virtually no shoes on. :-)

However, the frustration with not running (and not racing) finally got to me. I ran/walked easy three times that week, running only as long as I could keep my core engaged, as soon as it felt like it was slipping, I walked. I did all my PT exercises every day but one, so by Friday's run I was feeling pretty good. PT on sat - even my physio said she could see a difference, a big improvement. So, she cleared me to continue the running, with slow increase in the run interval or the total run time. I suggested the track - she loved the idea. So Sat evening, I went to the track for the first time in probably 2-3 years. I decided to do some baseline timing so I can track improvements. Warm-up of 5x400m then 4x400 + 4x200 + 4x100, all timed. MAN AM I SLOW. But hey you train to go long & slow and guess what? You get slow. Bah. Oh well. But I tell ya, it sure felt AWESOME to run again.

This week, ride to work every day, run 4x ez (with strides), core/PT exercises daily, and maybe a longer ride on the weekend. I am already eyeing up the fall XC race calendar... :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Post deleted by katcycles [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
- run x 5 incl Midsummer Night's 30k: WIN
- bike x 1: WIN with 3
- swim x 3: WIN
- core/strength x 4 w/focus on mobility and stretching: WIN

The big WIN was almost a 7min PR at the 30k race on Saturday (which was a nightmare of bad logistics, poor organization and too-many-looped course), and making up a couple of minutes in the last 10k. Not only did I finish strong - though I almost passed out afterward - I had very little soreness that evening or the day after. Legs hurt, but totally functional. They felt worse after a short run yesterday, but I did that to myself; had a "recovery pace" fail.

This week's goals:
- run x 6
- bike x 3
- swim x 4
- core/strength x 4
- foam roll

Just need to keep rolling through some easy workouts and get back up to speed for the final build to the 50k on Oct. 5th.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Last week was interesting, needing to recover from Jr. Nats. plus prepping to go out of town for the weekend (cousin's 50th b-day party).
Monday-off
Tuesday-off (not planned, passed out due to cramping & heat, so decided to take another day off)
Wed- spin class (didn't go full out)
Thur- swim /run brick (took it easy on the swim, stayed w/ one of our newbies so her usual buddy could get more of a workout in).
Fri- drove the 250 miles to Fresno (massive traffic jams throughout the drive due to construction on both I-5 and Hwy 99) took about 6-7 hrs when usually takes 4-5.
Sat- Running after my nephew (21 months old) at my cousin's b-day party (that was a workout in itself, he is like the energizer bunny).
Sun- Swam at the hotel with my nephew, (they don't have a pool at their house) he's still learning and getting comfortable in the water.

This weeks goals- get back to getting most of my planned workouts in. Today is an off day, just arrived home from Fresno, drive home wasn't as impacted by construction traffic.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I'm so glad they don't post how long it took me to do all those yards - I'm still in Guppy territory, but at least I'm improving ;-)

I saw my Dr on Tuesday and we're trying some new meds/treatments to help with the chronic headache. My PT was out Mon-Thurs, so he gave me some exercises to do on my own at the gym. It was interesting - I'd never been anywhere in the 3-floor gym except the pool and locker room, so I wandered around and tried to figure out how to do the things on my list. The staff was useless, but the other members were very helpful and I got it done. My PT thinks another 2-3 weeks should get me back on track. We are spending a lot of time working on my shoulders, as they still aren't doing what they're supposed to. I'm working hard on my posture and have become the posture queen at work - I walk by offices and see everyone slumped over their keyboards, and I get them to stretch and straighten up, at least until I walk away.

Finally, I did a Sprint tri yesterday "just for fun" and I did better than I expected. My swim was slower than I thought it would be, but the buoys had drifted and it was ~440-450 yards instead of 300. Instead of obsessing on my time, I compared myself to the other swimmers in my AG, and I was 2nd. This is a ladies-only race with a lot of newbies, but there was one lady who always wins the swim, and I was only ~42 seconds behind her instead of 2 minutes like I usually am. I've only been on my bike a few times since my crash, but I still managed to average 19 mph (3rd in my AG). We had a break in our 100-degree, 60-80% humid days, and I actually enjoyed the run - a couple of my friends even took pictures where I'm smiling instead of looking tormented, and I managed to get under a 10-min pace. In my training I've been struggling to get in the 11-11:30 range, so that felt awesome. Now I'm trying to decide what to do next. I'll think I'll stick to sprints for the rest of this season so I'll have time to do my other exercises, and I'll try to keep smiling and having fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blew off the last tri-for-fun in panic and lack of sleep. End of season is official. Signed up for a half mary in Nov, a Thanksgiving run, and a pre-Christmas run.

We have the official first casualty of my wedding planning: my iPhone. After an hour conversation with my mother regarding wedding seating (she refuses to be seated at the same table as my future in-laws, despite having yet to meet them, again, upon her refusal... yeah, I chucked the phone at my chair and poof).

So yeah. The minute I finish this I am running every day and biking every other day and no longer hating anything but flat tires. I may have walked 2 miles around the mall today in search of the kiosk that could fix my iPhone... they said they only honor warrantys on Tuesdays between 1-7, so ... try again tomorrow.

My badass fiance's amazing reaction to my "chat" with my mom was to bring me gummy bears (my favorite) and place a Skype call to my MoH in New Zealand... who has known my mom since high school and gets how high her level of crazy runs.

All good here. Quite good. Really, quite fine, just fine, completely fine... oh look, vodka...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not bad.
Ran 5x but didn't meet my mileage... mainly because of the race the prior Sunday.
Biked 4x, including a fairly long ride... though it was off to a slow start with a buddy's tire sidewall blowout and my husband and I went to the rescue.
Swam 1x with a friend. Got the update when we move back indoors for the school year for my master's group. I've missed them a lot this past year!

Second to the last week of my residency. Yay!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 19 Edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, I hope someone can talk sense into your mom. I don't blame you for tossing the phone :D

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 19 Edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't blame you either. Weddings make people crazy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goals for last week
Swim x 3 - didn't get it done. My two dogs and I were running, and one stopped abruptly and I fell over him and messed up my wrist, which has improved, and was super sore x 3-4 days all the way up that arm and into shoulders. I hope to restart swimming tomorrow. It may even help ease away the soreness.. I am frustrate by this, because I was really doing pretty well at getting in some solid swims. Sigh.
Bike - I only got one in, and that's ok. I'm 10 weeks out from marathon, and need to concentrate on running.
Run - I managed 6 runs and one long run. I had a good week. Right hip issues, went to PT guy yesterday, and was so sore this morning I just walked. Hopefully, I'll be back running w/o as much pain by tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

This week
Swim x 3
Bike 1-3
Run 5-6 for at least 60 miles.

Happy training all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello ladies!

No training last week - spent last week hiking all over Glacier National Park and LOVED EVERY SECOND OF IT!! It has to be one of the most gorgeous places on earth. My husband and I hiked 10-12miles/day which doesn't sound like much until you realize that every hike probably had 4-5000ft of up and then back down. Factor in carrying a loaded pack and in hiking boots and I figure I had a great week building some muscle in my legs.

This week, planned to get back into training and pick a sprint or two to close out the season. Had a good hilly run yesterday and planned to ride my favorite hill loop today, finishing at the local quarry for a refreshing dip.

So I have swimsuit and googles tucked in my jersey pocket and I'm off!!!!!! NOT!!!!! As I go to pedal out of my driveway, my bike makes a horrible grating noise and then whammo, I'm on the ground!!! Our driveway is gravel (big stones) and that hurt! Get up, inspect bike and I somehow have ripped my rear derailler to shreds. Thank god I did not rip off the derailler hanger!!!

I still want to ride, so I grab my old, comfy steel steed, pump up the tires and go off on my merry way. They just chip sealed most of the roads around here, so I am trying to look on the bright side and console myself with the thought that - hey you don't want to be riding your pretty, new, stiff carbon frame on all this crap anyway.

THEN, I get to the top of my first climb - about one mile with a steep drag at the top. As I approach the top, a dog runs out in front of me - I'm going slow enough to avoid him when he decides he wants a piece of me. He grabbed my shin but didn't get a good hold. Lunged a second time and got a good grip and nearly tore me off my bike. Now I'm scared and yelling bc this dog is not letting go. Thank god the owner was out and called the dog off.

I look down and I am bleeding like a stuck pig. Owner helped me cleanup and drove me back home bc the shin started swelling immediately and I was a good 8miles from home with another long climb to the house.

Hubby gets home and I'm still bleeding an hour later so we head off to the ER. Some pretty deep nasty puncture wounds that would normally be stitched if it wasn't a dog bite bc they are worried about infection. So am now on antibiotics with orders to stay off feet and no activity for the next few days. So this week will be a wash. Grrrrrrr . . . .

To top it off, this damn bite actually hurts way more than I think it should! It swelled up pretty good and actually hurts to walk.

Anyhow, thanks for letting me rant. The week started out well and then . . . I guess I wasn't supposed to ride today. - I should've realized that after I crashed in the driveway and ripped that derailler off!

So this week, I am sending all my energy your way - have a great week ladies!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 19 Edition [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow... hope the leg heals quickly!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn! I really hope you heal quickly and there's no serious infection.

I bloody well hate those days when the universe just gangs up on you..

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Ouch, puncture wounds hurt and throb! Sorry you got bit, especially after all of your efforts to get a workout in. I got taken down by a dog once, but once I was down, he just wanted to play and kept licking my face. I'm glad the owner of "your" dog was decent about it. I don't know where you are or what your local laws are, but in my county, dogs cannot be allowed access to the streets, and the owners are responsible for damages. I had $4000+ damages to my bike and body, and the owner's homeowner's insurance covered it all. Take care, REST!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 19 Edition [mdiane630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the well wishes. My experience with dogs has usually been similar - they either want to chase and play or herd you into their yard. I initially thought that with this dog until he got in front of me growling and started lunging for me pretty seriously. When he finally got a good grip, he was not letting go so the bite is pretty deep and ragged from the pulling.

I live in New Jersey - similar laws - the owners were ticketed. Animal control was pretty concerned bc they considered it a rather vicious, unprovoked attack. They called today and asked if I wanted the dog put down. I left that decision to animal control bc the dog is someone's beloved pet. But the owners do need to keep the dog under control and on leash bc if this happens again, and is reported, the dog will be euthanized.

On the bright side, I ordered a shiny new derailler to replace the one I ripped off in my driveway. Am working on class prep this week so I can play next week instead of doing class prep then. School will be back in session in earnest in just a little over a week. This summer went way tooo fast!

Happy training all! And mdiane - swim some extra laps for me! Swimming was expressly forbidden for awhile until this heals up. They want to minimize blood flow in the surrounding muscle tissue to minimize spread of infection so no activity period for at least the next few days. Am not used to doing nothing and will probably drive my poor husband up the wall!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You definitely do not want to be swimming in a pool with any open wound(s). A friend of mine's kid did it - had an open blister on his heel from soccer but went swimming at the local pool. Woke up the next morning and couldn't move. Had Nectrotising Fascitis (flesh eating disease). Straight to ER, Isolation, went into cardiac arrest on the table, barely came back. I am happy to say he just graduated from HS this past June. But the countless years of PT... limits on what you can do... your mobility... huge. I flat out refuse to swim in a pool if I have any open wound, small or otherwise.

I hope you get better though. I would have been so pissed.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heal quickly! Your story kinda freaked me out because just Tuesday I had to out sprint a big mad dog--twice. The second time around I think it was waiting for me, and it chose a better line. The only thing that saved me was a car that was behind me saw the situation and somehow managed to pull up quickly enough to get between me and the dog and stayed there until the dog retreated. (By this time I was over in the other lane trying to get as much horizontal distance between me and the dog, since it was clearly making a beeline for in front of me, trying to cut me off.)

Have had several people close to me taken down with bad dog bites--a big fear of mine is getting leg muscles torn or infected from a bite. Now one of my favorite bike routes is ruined by the appearance of this new dog.

I've got pepper spray, but I haven't figured out how you can aim in backward at a dog chasing you as you're trying to sprint away.

You're taking all of of this quite well. Big hugs!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply