Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lost my QOM
Quote | Reply
Got another stupid email "Uh oh... you just lost your QOM to..." on Strava. Now I'm going to cry like a biatch. WAAAAAAAAH!

Backdoor brag: I always lose a QOM to some woman riding in a big club ride with at least 10 others known to Strava. My previous record stood for 1.5 years, with an average speed of 39.7 kph. The new record is an average 45 kph.

I really was proud of that one, mostly because all the women I beat were competitive cyclists in big club rides. Each time I lose one, it doesn't bother me much, but this time I'm pissed. I'll never get it back again unless I ride in a BIG ASS club ride like my competitors.
Last edited by: karencoutts: Aug 10, 13 20:17
Quote Reply
Re: Lost my QOM [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Move to an area where not many women cyclists use strava!! I had QOM for a number of climbs here for months and month until people started using strava.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lost my QOM [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trackie clm, haha, instead of moving to another place I think I'll create Strava segments in obscure locations in the city, like graveyards and alleys, to have a bunch of new QOMs!

Maybe I'll just join the biggest club I can find... So nice to be riding in a wide draft, where going 37 kph is like going 20 kph by yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not Strava smart - what is QOM?

Sorry you lost it!
Quote Reply
Re: Lost my QOM [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi johnnybefit. A QOM is a "Queen of the Mountain." Strava is a social media for cyclists and runners. You upload your GPS data from your rides/runs to Strava and others can compare your rides with theirs. Users can create "segments" by defining start and stop points on their routes, in effect creating a course to compare their time on that course to others who use Strava. Users are ranked by speed, and the fastest rider/runner is deemed "King of the Mountain" (KOM) or QOM. There are separate and combined rankings for men and women.

If you regularly do the same route, then you can create a segment to keep track of your progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Lost my QOM [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm.....I'm on to your secret now. I rarely remember to turn strava on so now I'll have to do so & seek out these climbs & crowns.

Mapmyrun (which is accessed through my HumanaFit app) does the same thing with running - I get all sorts of interesting notes when I run in the parks. Mostly it just checks in because it thinks I'm dying because I'm so slow compared to everyone else....

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha. It seems like all of my QOMs are in places that are very, very rarely ridden by anyone - for one, I'm 9/10 riders, but 1/1 women! Agreed that a lot of the records are set by packs of riders. Little rough for those of us who spend most of our time riding solo.

I was bummed when I lost a CR (QOM for running instead of bike riding) this weekend... but then it was okay when I saw it was a friend out on a 19 mile trail run. Thrilled for her to take that one :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice! Thanks for the explanation. I hope you regain your QOM!!
Quote Reply
Re: Lost my QOM [kbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many of my QOMs are taken when I'm riding with 1-2 other riders, but nothing like a big pack, so I'm not solo for all of them. And I do find it funny when I get a QOM and find I was the only woman ever to ride that segment!

That's so nice of you that you don't mind losing when it's your friend taking your QOM. I'd like to think that I can be thrilled for others, but at my age I don't stand a chance against the 20 something competitive cyclists in club rides. I feel like telling them, come on, let the old lady have a QOM! You've got plenty!
Quote Reply
Re: Lost my QOM [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are welcome. I don't expect to ever regain THAT particular QOM. I can reach 45 kph, but certainly I cannot maintain that speed for one minute without a honking big draft, and catching the stop light that comes right before. I feel a little better now also because I found out that the woman who took my QOM just won a local mountain climbing race with a time besting almost all of the men. She deserves the QOM, even if she was riding in a pack with at least 10 others. But don't ask me to be happy for her... grumble grumble.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know what you mean, happens to me often. Makes me feel good when I get them back because I'm riding solo, not in the pack! :)

Quote Reply
Re: Lost my QOM [jen-g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the "me too" post! I was thinking maybe mine is not a common "problem."
Quote Reply