Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Airrosti - Achilles tear
Quote | Reply
Four weeks ago, I developed Achilles tendonitis. Sucks because IM Canada is now less than three weeks away and I cannot run over a mile without pain. Because of this, I have quit running but continue to bike and swim (both without pain).

So far, I have been going to PT, icing, massage, rolling, etc...Even tried one session of Graston. A buddy of mine suggested Airrosti and says he has heard and read about bigtime success with this. Anyone on here heard of this or have any experience with it? I would have to drive 4+ hours to find a doc who does this. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Airrosti - Achilles tear [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eye3md wrote:
Four weeks ago, I developed Achilles tendonitis. Sucks because IM Canada is now less than three weeks away and I cannot run over a mile without pain. Because of this, I have quit running but continue to bike and swim (both without pain).

So far, I have been going to PT, icing, massage, rolling, etc...Even tried one session of Graston. A buddy of mine suggested Airrosti and says he has heard and read about bigtime success with this. Anyone on here heard of this or have any experience with it? I would have to drive 4+ hours to find a doc who does this. Thanks.

so, are you saying you have tendonitis or you have a tear? if you have tendonitis, I'd suggest eccentric calf raises...as much as you can do. use your google-fu to see what they look like and do a shit ton of them. i've seen recommendations to use weight when doing them, too.

sorry, but can't attest to airrosti. in fact, about to look into it so see what the heck it is. :)

good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never heard of that treatment, so can't help you there. But if you are doing IMC, I think you need to adjust your goals and expectations. The likelihood of you getting past Achilles Tendinosis in 3 weeks is pretty slim.

My suggestion would be to continue what you are doing, make sure you are doing eccentric heel drops (with a weighted backpack) and not do any running between now and the race.

Hope for the best on race day, but be prepared for a long walk or to have to bail on the run. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that is the likely scenario for you at this point.

I feel your pain.....struggled with Achilles issues for 18 months. Good luck....I wish you all the best at IMC.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Airrosti - Achilles tear [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have zero pain when walking or jumping. No pain when swimming or biking. As soon as I get about 1km into my run, BOOM the pain hits my lower calf (high achilles) and I have to stop. I am scheduled to have an MRI this week but based on my exam and symptoms, it is thought to be a tear. Not sure how this one doc would know it but he thinks it is most likely a vertical tear vs a horizontal tear. Of course, it may not show on MRI either but I want to attempt to get a definitive answer.

Yeah, I have pretty much given up on IM Whistler. Even if I did miraculously regain the ability to run by race day, I am paranoid about long term damage. One day of racing is not worth it if it will keep me from running for months or years. Ironman is fun but I just plain love to run too so my biggest priority is getting back to what I love injury free.

A search here on ST shows quite a bit of frustration with Achilles injuries. Many people have tried so many different treatments or suggestions. It can be overwhelming trying to figure out what works best for each individual.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you have realistic expectations for Whistler. No reason to risk long-term damage for a race. However, if you are pain free while swimming and biking, maybe just go do it as an aquabike so you haven't wasted ALL of your entry fee?

Your last sentence is key - what works best for every individual. It seems that Achilles issues can be very indvidual, as is the rehab for them. Just as with ITB issues, you have to discover the root cause. Remember that the leg is one, big kinetic chain. Your problem may be far away from your Achilles.....weak glutes are a possibility (was definitely an issue for me).

I ended up running in Newtons as part of my rehab, which most people would say is 100% opposite of what you should do....but it worked for me. I also finally ditched heel cups and daily shoes with higher heels and started wearing completely flat shoes. Surprisngly, that made a world of difference for me. Again, counter-intuitive, but it worked. I think it just allowed my calk and Achilles to srtetch out during the day, but who knows.

Regardless, weighted eccentric calf drops should be a critical part of your recovery and PT. Almost all the evidence indicates that it is a key recovery component.

As you discovered, there is a wealth of info here on ST for Achilles issues. Search rroof's posts for some of the best advice.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll know better where you are once you get the MRI results back. In 2010 I developed two small partial tears in my left Achilles and was diagnosed with degenerative Achilles tendinosis in both legs. I was out of action for about six months, most of it in a boot. My orthopedic surgeon strongly encouraged me to drop any sports that required sudden starts & stops, changes of direction, jumping, etc. Basketball, tennis, racketball, etc.

Once I started training again, I found that taking Galloway walk breaks on my long training runs helped to manage the pain and soreness in both Achilles.

Good luck,

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same diagnosis (vertical tear) w/o an MRI. I never did get an MRI because it wasn't going to change the treatment plan. I ended up taking 4 weeks off from no running. and did some ART before I went back to running (even with the no running I was walking quite a bit and it still hurt a lot until I had the ART and then the next day I could touch the achilles, walk w/o pain etc) I iced it 5-6 times a day, as it healed started doing eccentric calf raises, wore a night splint and it's finally getting better.

I looked at the Airrosti website and it really just seems to be a PT facilty that employs ART/Gastron type methods, it doesn't seem to be doing any new type of treatment. I wouldn't bother going.

FWIW, I had to really dial my cycling back too for it to heal, didn't bother me on the bike, but it wasn't being rested enough.

ETA: you didn't mention having ART done, definitely look into that if you haven't already. My ART person also does acupuncture, so I get both and it finally started to feel better.
Last edited by: GhiaGirl: Aug 6, 13 8:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had an achilles issue for some time and had it initially worked on by an ART certified doctor. That solved most of the problem, but she was unwilling to work the base of the achilles. After suffering for a while longer, I finally broke down and went to have an Airrosti doc to take a look at it. He's worked on the specific pain point. However, I'm 4 treatments in and still have some minor lingering issues, which is no fault of the doctor. I had just really messed myself up.

Bottom line as a patient, the only major difference I've noticed is what they were willing to address. Both hurt like a bear, but both also required multiple treatments. If you are going to have to drive 4 hours to get each treatment, I would pass. They seem very similar to me after having used both types of treatment. I would go to the one that you can get to regularly - if needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat you are. Ready to race IM Whistler but can't run due to achilles issues. I'll be up there and am going to do the swim and bike--why not?

Last time I had achilles issues, I stayed off of it completely for 6 weeks and that seemed to heal it. ART, ice help.

My # is 799 if you see me out on the course, we can commiserate about our bum achilles.

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply
Re: Airrosti - Achilles tear [Honey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep debating whether or not I will do the swim and bike. I'd love to ride the course but don't wanna be hugely disappointed if I end up smashing it and wondering "what if?"......I'm in the best bike shape of my life right now. Also, the bike fees with Delta SUCK ($175 each way) so it would be a way to save more money for this already expensive endeavor if I end up not taking my bike.

Another option I am considered is renting a mountain bike while in Whistler and checking out the local trails. Or, volunteering for the race to help out (if needed). Lots of good options so the trip will not be lost no matter what. I just gotta play it smart and not do anything to risk long term damage. It will be exciting to cheer for others and see people give it their best (that's why I always love to go back close to midnight).

Thanks for the info so far. I will definitely check out ART in my area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Delta bike fees are BAD. Flying Alaska up from San Diego-much more reasonable.
Good luck, maybe I'll see you out there!

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply
Re: Airrosti - Achilles tear [Honey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honey wrote:
Yeah, Delta bike fees are BAD. Flying Alaska up from San Diego-much more reasonable.
Good luck, maybe I'll see you out there!

Best of luck to you as well. I will look for you and cheer you onward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
same thing here only mine is insertional. i would think it would heal easier by parasitizing blood supply from the calcaneous. but 20 months later...... in vegas it will be swim, bike and dnf. so disappointed. and no running until april at best. enjoy
Quote Reply
Re: Airrosti - Achilles tear [rbar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbar wrote:
same thing here only mine is insertional. i would think it would heal easier by parasitizing blood supply from the calcaneous. but 20 months later...... in vegas it will be swim, bike and dnf. so disappointed. and no running until april at best. enjoy

I'm sorry to see you are dealing with this chronic problem. Gotta be a real bummer. Hope you get relief soon. Did you have surgery on it? Just curious since you mentioned no running until April.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No surgery planned. I used to alpine ski race and ran into problems with Haglund's deformity and Haglund's syndrome and had bilateral calcaneal osteotomies and reattachment of both achilles tendons. The left did fine after. The right was never normal. After the 2011 IMAZ the real troubles started. I did all the eccentric stuff, stretches, graston, bla bla bla. Up until June this yr I got it to the point I could still do HIM races and could run 2 to 3 days per week. It got real sore after 2013 St George 70.3, a few weeks later I did a real hard treadmill workout and although it felt fine during the workout, within 4 hrs I realized it was not and I still can barely walk now. It used to be only tendinosis per MRI, now I wonder if i tore it and plan another MRI. No run until April as I plan to give it a real chance to heal now and not push it. Planning skate skiing and alpine skiing over the winter to give it a rest.. Classic skiing hurts it too. My first surgery went so poorly I am hesitant to do it again. If it is not ok by April I will mountain bike race in the summer and try running again the following April. It sucks
Quote Reply