Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Airplane Repo on Discovery channel
Quote | Reply
Anyone else watched this show?

I've seen a few episodes and it seems interesting. I read on article where they claimed that one of the guys staged his repo's. After having watched his segments - I could believe it. Otherwise, it is interesting.

I used to work for Ford Motor Credit in my early 20's and had to repo a few cars. It was exciting. One time I even took part in the repo of a car that belonged to an ex-girlfriend.
Quote Reply
Re: Airplane Repo on Discovery channel [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do they fly off with them? Because that sounds fun!

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Airplane Repo on Discovery channel [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes they do. They get paid upwards of $25k for some of them. Supposedly a couple fetched 100 to 300k in repo fees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
Yes they do. They get paid upwards of $25k for some of them. Supposedly a couple fetched 100 to 300k in repo fees.

Hmmmm looks like I'm going to have to get a pilot license!

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you hot wire a plane?
Quote Reply
Re: Airplane Repo on Discovery channel [tranzformer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tranzformer wrote:

Universal remote.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like a decent show. Its one thing to grab a car off a city street, its a whole different thing when your sneaking onto supposedly secure airfields to repo airplanes.

Ive been annoyed at Discovery, History, NatGeo, etc lately. It seems the new programming style is to show something 4 times a night for two months then you can never find it again. For awhile there, I think Animal Planet played River Monsters for 2 months 24/7.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been trying not to watch this show, but it sucks me in. Very interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Airplane Repo on Discovery channel [nhunter344] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[Ive been annoyed at Discovery, History, NatGeo, etc lately. It seems the new programming style is to show something 4 times a night for two months then you can never find it again. For awhile there, I think Animal Planet played River Monsters for 2 months 24/7.]
Or for whatever reasons, it is somehow a repeat of the same frickin' episode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I barely watch those type of shows (and I find it "stupid" channels like Discovery, History are broadcasting them) but it seems that either there are only 2 or 3 episodes or I am very very very unlucky!

Fred.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw it once. It was kind of interesting because they did not just show up and take the plane. It was a jet that had been sitting for a while. They did a pretty deep inspection of it first and then made some repairs. That was hampered by the fact the deadbeat owner appeared to have stiffed every jet mechanic within 500 miles so it took awhile to line up a mechanic. Then the repairs had to be inspected to get the plane certified to fly again. All this took a couple days during which a couple companies who had other leins on the plane learned of the impending repo and lawyered up to go to court to try and get an order to stop it. They ended up getting it of the ground with just minutes to spare.

Frankly the car repo show was more interesting and exciting. More action and 3 or 4 repos per episode.
Quote Reply
Re: Airplane Repo on Discovery channel [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
They ended up getting it of the ground with just minutes to spare.

Reality TV is amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would wager that 90 percent is staged or a reenactment. Maybe even 100 percent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Occasionally. Its pretty cool IMO. Their base is not too far from where I live and I am pretty sure they fly out of Gary airport, which is 20 mins from my house. I think the best part is them being sneaky before anyone notices that a nice ass G4 is taking off

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply
Re: Airplane Repo on Discovery channel [Robert Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robert Preston wrote:
I would wager that 90 percent is staged or a reenactment. Maybe even 100 percent.

I agree, after all, how hard would it be to pack a hand held nav/com and an ipad with a garmin pilot app. Instead, they go blind or use a car gps. Come on, really? I still like the show but then I like all things related to aviation.
Quote Reply
Re: Airplane Repo on Discovery channel [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Hmmmm looks like I'm going to have to get a pilot license!
You will also need instrument, multi-engine, High performance endorsement, not to mention some type ratings specific to the biz jets those guys repo.

tranzformer wrote:
No need for high performance single and multi-engine as once the door is unlocked, you just need to know which switches/button/levers to manipulate.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Airplane Repo on Discovery channel [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, I wonder what sort of sign offs these guys have to be able to just jump into a jet and take off. To be LEGAL, most jets require two pilots with type ratings. Some are certified for single pilot, but even then, there is an additional certification process for single pilot operations. Then, there are the insurance requirements. For those that aren't familiar with private aviation, it is really the insurance companies that decide who gets to fly what and how many hours of dual instruction they have to get 'in type' before they are covered by insurance. Sometimes, even after meeting the insurance company's initial requirements, there are currency requirements in order to sustain coverage. This means you must log a minimum number of hours within a specified time period in order for the insurance policy to be in effect. Also, for more complex jets, the insurance companies require annual simulator training primarily to cover emergency procedures. The pilots have to attend an approved simulator training course at a designated and approved facility, and this is type specific. Most of the time, the insurance requirements are more onerous than the FAA requirements. I suspect that a significant part of the time, these guys are flying without insurance.

Regarding 'hot wiring' a plane, it is fairly well known in aviation circles that the door locks on aircraft are about as cheap as they come. However, I do have an ignition switch on my high performance single and it does require a key to turn it...or a screwdriver might do the trick, I suppose.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply