Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Chattanooga?
Quote | Reply
This is the first public acknowledgement I've seen that we're a contender for an Ironman. Funny how the article says that an Ironman brings an estimated 1,500 participants. When was the last time you did one with that few athletes?

http://www.timesfreepress.com/...ext-for-scenic-city/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga? [trifan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe, just maybe, WTC will make an announcement this week so we can all quit fretting about which city is going to get it. I am just as interested in the exact date as the venue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chattanooga is a great tri venue and could be stretched for a 70.3. But I don't know where you find 112 miles of roads. That means either shutting down 27 for and entire day or heading to the mountains. There are a couple other roads but it would totally snarl traffic. I'm not sure there are enough surface streets to detour due to the river and interstate.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga? [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree about the 70.3 - this seems plausible and a simpler option. Rumors circulating about a 70.3 have been circulating for a year or so.

Chattanooga hosts several events throughout the year of similar distances to the IM legs. The River Rat Swim in June is 4.5 miles launching near the dam with a down river swim - there is a 10 mile swim in October that starts and ends out of downtown. A launch point for a 2.4 mile swim would be tricky, as there is not a good option for a similar layout like Louisville with an up river portion of the swim leg. The 3 State 3 Mountain Challenge might provide some options for the bike, possibly going out of the old route over Suck Creek with a variation or loop option coming back on the metric route around Lookout as opposed to over it. Alternatively, going south on the route towards Chickamauga that the Pro Championships used might be option. Whatever it the route, it would almost have to include some climbing. As for the run, the marathon and half marathons (Scenic City, 7 Bridges, 4 Bridges), as well as the Waterfront Triathlon, have very similar routes and make use of the River Walk for a good portion of the race. The River Walk path is fairly narrow, so I do not see how they could use it all if the run included multiple loops.

I hope either a 70.3 or IM works out, possibly even a non-WTC race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the proposed bike course headed south into Georgia and the run course would be a multiple loop one that stayed downtown.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The numbers are clearly wrong.

If Chattanooga is in the running, then their odds probably took a slight hit this past weekend. The Chattanooga Waterfront Tri was converted to a Du (rightly so) due to flooding. Current was too fast / water quality was poor. I guess this is possible anywhere, but probably more so in a river swim.

I think a 70.3 in Chattanooga for a few years would be a great start, then maybe an IM down the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga? [atl_runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know the reason IM Louisville is a time trial start? Originally, it wasn't supposed to be.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga? [atl_runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The flooding was an anomaly, the first time in the triathlon's history that the swim had to be cancelled. Normally the river flow can be controlled through the upriver dam. The water quality is probably no worse than for IMLOU.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say the water quality is probably better in Chattanooga than in Louisville. Look at what is upstream. We take better care of our water up here than I would guess Pittsburgh, Columbus and Cincinnati do. Just the size of the watershed and population and development inside it would make me rather swim in Chattanooga than Louisville.

The rain we've been getting up here is an anomaly. Anything is possible, but same can be said for 20+ other factors at any Ironman.

"Some folks plan for the optimum race, others like to get upset when others out plan them. "
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga? [JimSanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious since I do not live in the south or southeast, but does IM Chattanooga fill a niche that IM Louisville does not fill? And if the answer is NO, then what is the point of putting one there if IMLOU does not sell out and is there through 2018 (per reports of contract renewal)? It would seem that the races would be pretty similar, right down to a swim in a muddy river. When WTC put a race in MT, there was a pretty high demand spilling over from IMLP selling out in minutes. Perhaps the silence out of WTC since the Asheville rumors first appeared are the result of WTC reconsidering its strategy? They do have a lot on their plate right now with new races in Whistler, Tahoe, and Boulder, and a recent acquisition of Copenhagen. I guess my point is that if you want to do an IM next year, you may want to pick one that is already out there rather than waiting for one that may never happen. Just sayin'.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would be awesome. Then, I could do a tri and see my college buddies, as I went up there on Lookout Mtn.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga? [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if they have been silent. I thought they recently stated that a TN, SC or NC location will be announced in the coming months. There is certainly a void in that area with KY and FL the only viable WTC races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whistler & Tahoe will be inaugural races this year (2013) so I don't think that is an issue. They have a very experienced RD in Boulder and Copenhagen is an existing race, just the name is changing, so I don't believe those are issues either.

We just have to be patient and wait for the announcement and decide if we are going to give WTC our left arm or the right.......

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious since I do not live in the south or southeast, but does IM Chattanooga fill a niche that IM Louisville does not fill?

Good point and one I've thought about as well. I live in Chattanooga and have done IMLOU twice and I can honestly say Chattanooga has a much better race venue. The downtown is simply awesome. We're also convenient to Atlanta, Nashville and Knoxville. My impression of IMLOU is that it pulled a lot from the states above it. I can see Chatt pulling more from the south, where IMFL fills up within minutes. Even if IMLOU doesn't sell out, I'm sure they still make money on it. I wonder what the breaking even point is on an IM...1,500, 2,000?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
I don't know if they have been silent. I thought they recently stated that a TN, SC or NC location will be announced in the coming months. There is certainly a void in that area with KY and FL the only viable WTC races.

pretty sure they just said they would like to. dont recall any promises one is coming
Edit: messick did say "expect" to announce...my bad
Last edited by: sinkinswimmer: Jul 15, 13 19:09
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Do you know the reason IM Louisville is a time trial start? Originally, it wasn't supposed to be.

The swim was originally planned to start right there at T1 but there was heavy rains the prior week of the first year and the current was too strong to be swimming upstream. So they moved the start to the channel where it is now, which isn't really affected by current, and you do all your upstream swimming the channel then you hook around Towhead Island and ride the current downstream to T1. That's why you occassionally see some sick swim times there. Anyway, the channel is too narrow for a mass start to it's been TT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first concern with Labor Day race is the heat....... Also not the most desirable location to spend a minimum of three nights. With a mandatory Friday check in and Sunday race.
Asheville would draw many more athletes looking for a destination IM. The course would be tough (but this is an IM) It is interesting with courses like Lake Placis and Tahoe that the bike course in Asheville is causing a delay in the announcement. The weather would also be much nicer on Labor Day and water conditions ideal.
Please WTC make a decision............
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga? [csenne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chattanooga has as much to offer as Asheville and maybe more, so to spend 5 days there would be a cake. 10-15 years ago most folks would have opted for Asheville, but that is no longer the case. That said, Asheville is still cool.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since noone knows anything, maybe we can speculate that WTC returned the bid fees and there will be no new race in the Southeast.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There have been little bits of information leaking out that suggest a decision has been made and an announcement is forthcoming.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About time! In 2014, I am either going to suffer at IMMOO or the new one. The only certainty is that there will be much suffering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what little bits are you referring to haha?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga? [KaiserChief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KaiserChief wrote:
what little bits are you referring to haha?

This was the most recent:

Desert Dude posted: "WTC won't pick Asheville, sorry, not happening or so a birdie with involvement in the Raleigh 70.3 told me."

And there was also this:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=4688787#4688787

Edit to fix link.

Last edited by: japarker24: Aug 7, 13 13:14
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga? [csenne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
csenne wrote:
My first concern with Labor Day race is the heat....... Also not the most desirable location to spend a minimum of three nights. With a mandatory Friday check in and Sunday race.
Asheville would draw many more athletes looking for a destination IM. The course would be tough (but this is an IM) It is interesting with courses like Lake Placis and Tahoe that the bike course in Asheville is causing a delay in the announcement. The weather would also be much nicer on Labor Day and water conditions ideal.
Please WTC make a decision............

First, your argument about heat is irrelevant since both site are in the southeast and are similar. The average temperature difference between Chattanooga and Asheville in September is only 6 degrees. I personally would be more concerned with amount of climbing required by the Asheville course. That will have a big impact on the number of IM participants. Chattanooga has many options to make the course relatively easy or brutal if desired. Also, you honestly believe "many more people" will attend Asheville over Chattanooga? Have you even been to Chattanooga? There is a reason it is one of the top outdoor destinations in the country. Major events such as the US Pro Cycling Championships are booking Chattanooga constantly. Don't get me wrong, I think Asheville is absolutely beautiful and would make a good IM destination. I just think IM Chattannoga is a better option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks! the top link is bad for some reason. the bottom one works.
Quote Reply

Prev Next