Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
In my experience, considering the time fame he has provided, his results so far, yes, he would need to be a genetic anomaly to qualify. And I could care less if he uses me for motivation. And the fact that you use a Lance quote in your signature line speaks volumes.

So I Iike a doper's views on childhood and that kids - including my two little ones - should be out on their bikes testing their limits and..... it 'speaks volumes' of me? 

Thats funny:)

Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [HKoldtimer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HKoldtimer wrote:
I'll disagree on this occasion with your "not even the slimmest of chances" assessment (BTW I read all your posts and generally respect the advicve you give).

I think you may have misread WX's results - I think he means Timberman 2011 (not 2012). So, after 5-6 months of cycling he rides a 2:33 (with mechanicals) and then runs a 1:25. Neither times are spectacular but certainly in the realms of Kona qualifier if he can improve his bike. The 2:40 open mara is not completely "meaningless" to the discussion - it goes some way to showing he has a good engine and at least the capability to KQ.

Go for it WX, yes it's a long shot but I think you're in the ballpark. What I would say is a 3:00 IM marathon is ambitious (especially with your lack of biking) - sub 3:15 is more realistic. As others have said focus on the bike, you need to be strong so you're in a postion off the bike to run to your potential. Swim - I'd not spend too much effort reducing your time (alot of training time for minimal return). If you can get out of the water in 70mins feeling very comfortable that will be far better than a 65min swim that leaves you shelled for the bike.

Top 3-4 in AG is the goal for KQ but ballpark I'd target times of 1:10 5:15 3:10. Will put you in around 9:40 mark, probably not enough for KQ but who knows on the day. Good luck and keep us posted.

Agreed.
For refernce, WX was only 2 spots behind ST'er Erik Reitinger, who swam even worse (even worse than ME! Sheesh!) -
but, who has since gone on to crush dreams at an IM (AG win, IIRC), and also win AmZof LC.

I dunno on what planet a 1:25:35 at Timberman is a "poor run", given that the AG winner Mike Lavery only broke 1:25 by :01.
And nobody else in the AG did.

WX is an excellent runner. Like I said before, just put that on the side burner for now.
Work on the swim and bike, and he's got a chance.
Get that IM swim down to 1:10 or lower, and be able to bike 5:0x to low 5:1x range, and then hopefully run to his potential.
Those things aren't a ridiculous stretch from where he was in '11, but it will definitely require focus and dedication.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The op's 2:40 OM time would indicate that he has potential , and he probably has far more than 'not even the slimmest of chances' that you have granted him

1. This is poorly understood by many, but there is actually very little correlation between stand-alone marathon time, and how you can run in an IM for the marathon there.* About the only thing these two share in common is that they are 26.2 miles long. Now, being a strong runner is a HUGE help, and you touched on that by siting it as having good "potential". But that's about it. So much of having a good run is based on how you have gone in the swim and bike and other factors such as nutrition.

2. What is diminishing the OP's chances is perhaps not his raw ability - I see some potential there - it's the time-line. Like many ambitious triathletes, it's WAY too aggressive. Many triathletes grossly under-estimate how long it takes to get to a certain level of fitness and performance. It seems close, but it's often measured in years of time. I said it before and it's worth repeating here, it takes 3 - 5 years of training to get ready to really train for an IM in the 9:30 range or better. Seriously. There are the odd freaks, who can truncate that time, but for most others, it's the long road that will yield success

* FWIW - the differential that you see amongst the very best triathletes from stand-alone Marathon to IM run split is about 20 minutes at around this speed. This is when everything comes together and you have optimal run performance in the IM. That being said, you rarely see the best AG triathletes, and Pro Triathletes, even the good running ones, actually run stand-alone marathons. It's something that many AG'ers do, but the best don't. Take from that what you like! :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WX is an excellent runner. Like I said before, just put that on the side burner for now.
Get that IM swim down to 1:10 or lower, and be able to bike 5:0x to low 5:1x range, and then hopefully run to his potential.
Those things aren't a ridiculous stretch from where he was in '11, but it will definitely require focus and dedication.

ML,

Agreed.

Huge focus needed on swim/bike, then prudent pacing and execution during the race to run to full potential. It's doable, what concerns me is the aggressive time-line, and the "one-shot". As you well know, IM races rarely go to plan. Way too many variables - some beyond your control. Too put all that pressure on a one-shot Kona IQ, in what I believe is a first IM race, might be asking for a bit too much.

Why the rush? Take a few years and build up to it. Establish a solid base line of performance at sprint to 70.3, then move on to IM. That will yield better overall results with more assurance.

Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

ML,

Agreed.

Huge focus needed on swim/bike, then prudent pacing and execution during the race to run to full potential. It's doable, what concerns me is the aggressive time-line, and the "one-shot". As you well know, IM races rarely go to plan. Way too many variables - some beyond your control. Too put all that pressure on a one-shot Kona IQ, in what I believe is a first IM race, might be asking for a bit too much.

Why the rush? Take a few years and build up to it. Establish a solid base line of performance at sprint to 70.3, then move on to IM. That will yield better overall results with more assurance.

Yeah, I think he has plenty of time and ability to make a great 70.3 season, as I suggested.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
In my experience, considering the time fame he has provided, his results so far, yes, he would need to be a genetic anomaly to qualify. And I could care less if he uses me for motivation. And the fact that you use a Lance quote in your signature line speaks volumes.

So I Iike a doper's views on childhood and that kids - including my two little ones - should be out on their bikes testing their limits and..... it 'speaks volumes' of me?

Ignore me, I was just being pissy. :)

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please update the quote (from the same song), this is more appropriate for this eventual train wreck....

His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy
There's vomit on his sweater already, mom's spaghetti

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

1. This is poorly understood by many, but there is actually very little correlation between stand-alone marathon time, and how you can run in an IM for the marathon there.* About the only thing these two share in common is that they are 26.2 miles long. Now, being a strong runner is a HUGE help, and you touched on that by siting it as having good "potential". But that's about it. So much of having a good run is based on how you have gone in the swim and bike and other factors such as nutrition.

2. What is diminishing the OP's chances is perhaps not his raw ability - I see some potential there - it's the time-line. Like many ambitious triathletes, it's WAY too aggressive. Many triathletes grossly under-estimate how long it takes to get to a certain level of fitness and performance. It seems close, but it's often measured in years of time. I said it before and it's worth repeating here, it takes 3 - 5 years of training to get ready to really train for an IM in the 9:30 range or better. Seriously. There are the odd freaks, who can truncate that time, but for most others, it's the long road that will yield success

This thread has got my interest, mainly because I'm in the same boat and attempting to KQ for 2014 at the end of this year. My bike/run times are remarkably similar to WX; strong run, weaker bike though with a good swim and I'm targeting 9:30-9:40 (M45-49) as the ballpark for a KQ spot. I don't intend to spend the next 3-5 years training to qualify, I'm having a solid crack at getting to Kona in 2014 and think it's a reasonable goal (I've only been back in triathlons for 9 months though I did race in the early/mid 90's so I have some background).

Interested in your comments Fleck, not sure I agree with the assertion there is "very little correlation between stand-alone marathon time, and how you can run in an IM for the marathon". Agree a fast open Mara does not gaurantee a fast IM marathon but if you can't run a fast open marathon then you have little hope of fast IM marathon. I'd say the 2:40 shows that a sub 3:15 IM marathon is a realistic goal (BUT is hugely dependant on a comfortable swim and a strong bike so you can run to that potential).
Also, not clear why this time-line is "WAY too agressive". The OP has run a strong 1:25 half off a reasonable 2:33 bike 12 months ago and appears to have the right attitude and some endurance sports background. I think he's definitely a shot at it. Let's be honest a 9:3x is not spectacularly fast and with the times he's posted thus far is a realistic goal with solid and consistent training for the next 9 months+.

One suggestion WX - if possible I'd think about scheduling 2 IM's in your quest for Kona (I've got IM's in Dec 13 & Jun 14). It's a learning experience and I'd think you'll get alot of learnings from the 1st one. Who knows you may well get that KQ spot but if not that's a bunch of experience for your next shot. I think the bike will be the major determining factor in whether you're successful for a KQ spot - get stronger as in you can comfortably ride a 5:15 IM and I think you'll be close (assuming you don't mess up nutrition). Good luck, hope I'll see you in Kona in 2014!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HKoldtimer wrote:
Fleck wrote:

This thread has got my interest, mainly because I'm in the same boat and attempting to KQ for 2014 at the end of this year. My bike/run times are remarkably similar to WX; strong run, weaker bike though with a good swim and I'm targeting 9:30-9:40 (M45-49) as the ballpark for a KQ spot. I don't intend to spend the next 3-5 years training to qualify, I'm having a solid crack at getting to Kona in 2014 and think it's a reasonable goal (I've only been back in triathlons for 9 months though I did race in the early/mid 90's so I have some background).

Interested in your comments Fleck, not sure I agree with the assertion there is "very little correlation between stand-alone marathon time, and how you can run in an IM for the marathon". Agree a fast open Mara does not gaurantee a fast IM marathon but if you can't run a fast open marathon then you have little hope of fast IM marathon. I'd say the 2:40 shows that a sub 3:15 IM marathon is a realistic goal (BUT is hugely dependant on a comfortable swim and a strong bike so you can run to that potential).
Also, not clear why this time-line is "WAY too agressive". The OP has run a strong 1:25 half off a reasonable 2:33 bike 12 months ago and appears to have the right attitude and some endurance sports background. I think he's definitely a shot at it. Let's be honest a 9:3x is not spectacularly fast and with the times he's posted thus far is a realistic goal with solid and consistent training for the next 9 months+.

One suggestion WX - if possible I'd think about scheduling 2 IM's in your quest for Kona (I've got IM's in Dec 13 & Jun 14). It's a learning experience and I'd think you'll get alot of learnings from the 1st one. Who knows you may well get that KQ spot but if not that's a bunch of experience for your next shot. I think the bike will be the major determining factor in whether you're successful for a KQ spot - get stronger as in you can comfortably ride a 5:15 IM and I think you'll be close (assuming you don't mess up nutrition). Good luck, hope I'll see you in Kona in 2014!

Gotta love advice on KQ'ing from a non-KQ'er. 9:3x not that fast? How many people (non-pro) do you know personally who have done that, in any AG? Stateside, 30 from IMFL and 19 from IMAZ went sub 9:30 last year at THE fastest 2 IM's in NA. That's it. I'm guessing not more than another dozen or two at all other NA IM's. His Timberman splits of 2:33 and 1:25 = 3:58 + 5 for T1 and T2 + 35 min for his swim is a, what, 4:38? I highly doubt a 4:38 guy at Timberman is going to go 9:35 at IMSL. Can he go sub-10, maybe. But your suggestion of 5:15 + 3:15 (+ 5 for T1 & T2 + 1:10 swim) = 9:45 at best. Where does he gain 10-15 more min?

Until you guys hit :30/2:30/1:30 (give or take a minute or two for each), you won't sniff a 9:3x which you claim is "not spectacularly fast". I know a couple of guys who are 4:45+ 70.3'ers who have, for years, boldly stated they were going to go 9:30 for several of their past IM's. Result: NOT EVEN CLOSE as in NOT sub-10:30.

For both of you, take baby steps. Plan a solid season of 70.3's to cut your teeth and learn the ropes. Do an IM after that w/ ZERO goals other than to HAVE FUN and LEARN. I have literally met, seen, and coached 100's of people over the years who have these exact same overly ambitious, unrealistic goals. The results? About 1-2% KQ, 50+% have left the sport and never returned, 25% are perpetually injured, 20% are still aiming way too high, 3-4% KQ eventually.

Quote | Reply
If you can only do 1 Ironman, why not spend a year or two just working on cycling and swimming? Just do consistent training that leaves lots of time for your wife and then do an IM when you have a better chance?
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [irontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Irontri you may be right and the 9:3x remark was a bit flippant (though I never said 9:3x wasn't fast and certainly didn't talk about sub 9:30). I should have said a 9:3x time is a possibility for a guy that goes 4:39 in his first 70.3 with a 2:33 bike and 1:25 run after 6 months in the sport. He gets Top 30 overall (AG field) and Top 10 in his AG on his first outing so he's already FOP and has a 2:40 open marathon to his name.

Simplistically I was trying to say the OP has some pretty good credentials that suggests aiming for Kona is a realistic goal. He may or may not make it but he's certainly got a chance. The tone of some posts seemed to suggest he had no chance and should spend the next 3-5 years training before attempting it. Not disagreeing that's likely the ideal approach but nothing wrong giving it a shot now.

P.S. I did KQ though back in the day when it was a bit easier - just chose not to go. I've posted all the times you reference but don't get me wrong I do think 9:3x is fast!
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
shady wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

Ignore me, I was just being pissy. :)

Tapering? :)
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [LoDewey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Better, polishing off a nice Zin. :)

And in regards to the exchange above, my negativity is not directed at the OP or his talents or potential. It's just based on the parameters he himself laid out: limited time to train for a hot race less then 10 months away during winter with a concerned spouse looking to pick up size able gains in bike specific fitness, yes, I am willing to say that's highly unliky and the costs if failure might be high.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [WX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great goal...however my words of advice are slightly different. I would pass on the Ironman and work on your marriage for the first year. Why rush into racing Ironman? Enjoy married life and then see about working Ironman into it. It's totally a family committment and unless you have domestic niners (the wife's) complete backing I would pass. As others have stated time goal is nice, but you never know who will show up to race. The M25-29 AG can be brutal as there are many in that AG who are looking to go pro (though that AG is not normally as stacked as M30-34). If you do go for IM Los Cabos forget about who else is racing (you don't control that) and focus on what you do control. As a strong runner myself, the key to running off the bike well is bike fitness NOT necessarily run fitness as others have pointed out. Learn to pace the bike well and should be able to run well off the bike. Best of luck.

Quote | Reply
"Work on the swim and bike, and he's got a chance."

ML, if you look at the constraints he's putting on his bike training "spin bike@the gym only July/August (no trainer), taking entire December off the bike during honeymoon, lives in boston", he's not going to get the work in on the bike he needs for a race in mid March.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

1. The solid stand-alone marathon performance shows potential and that's about it.

2. Running a great marathon is not a requirement for running really well in an IM. In fact, many of to top AGers and Pros have NEVER run a marathon. IM running is a very different kind running.

3. Running close to 3:00 in an IM, means being able to knock out 7:00 min/miles for 26.2 miles on trashed legs. You need to get in so that in training that 7:00 min/mile pace is your easy-all-day-pace.

4. Yes, a 9:30 is not "spectacularly fast", but I think that many would be shocked at the work, the time and the durability required to move from 10:00 to that point.

5. That leads me to still be of the opinion that, the time-lines the OP is suggesting are too aggressive.

6. Finally, this one-shot mentality, for something with so many variables, both in the training and for the race itself, is a recipe for frustration and disappointment.
Sure their may be the odd freak-of-nature that can do this, and this board always, wrongly, hoists those folks up as an example of "the possible", when in fact, for most, it's bordering on impossible.

Not to brag, but just to add some credibility/direct-experience here - I went sub 9:30 numerous times, and qualified for IMH in 7 out of the 8 IM races that I did, back in a distant age of this great sport.

YMMV

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
4. Yes, a 9:30 is not "spectacularly fast", but I think that many would be shocked at the work, the time and the durability required to move from 10:00 to that point.

I'll echo this almost 100%.

For me personally, I would say the journey from 12:05 to sub-10 was approximately 20% fitness gain, and 80% experience over 27 month or so period.

The journey from sub-10 to where I am now is pretty much reversed - and has taken another 6 years.
Last edited by: sentania: Jul 5, 13 7:46
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, exactly Scott. And I would add the reason I included my race resume earlier wasn't to be a big shot but to illustrate that there are two ways to get the kind of paces needed for KQ, a few years of work or genetics. I won the genetic lottery and was fast enough within 10 months of my first triathlon to show up at IMAZ and go sub 10 and qualify. Had the OP shown up at his half and destroyed it OB not a lot of training then I would say his limited time may not be a prohibitive factor. But he didn't, so his journey will be about the work.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of interesting responses - many of them I agree with. I definitely think the OP has the "talent" to get there but given the "constraints" outlined, it will be VERY difficult to KQ out of the block. Many have pointed out the training challenges he faces (swimming, technique, yardage, etc. .... bike mileage & quality workouts, running, indoor training, spin bike, etc).

Perhaps he can make some great progress in all three disciplines through training but the one thing he is highly unlikely able to do without actual racing (race experience) .... is the NUTRITION component. As "irontri" mentioned in first post "To successfully KQ, you need a combination of the following: time, money, smarts, luck, experience, and determination. Not all are necessarily required, but if you are lacking in more than one, it will be next to impossible. I'll expand on each and explain further"

I'm going to add "nutrition" to that list - unless that's dialed-in ... all bets are off and it becomes a really rough day out there on the run course if not sooner on the bike. I'm sure many of us have been there - done that. (I have).

Best of luck to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you need to re-think goal, not to say you can't do it but running a marathon it waaaaay different than getting off a bike and then running. I run sub 3's and never been able to come close on IM. Setting real goals make it more fun, don't set yourself up for a fall.

The harder the challenge, the more fruitful the reward!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the OP let me put some perspective on Fleck's sub 9;30's. Those sub 9;30's of Fleck's came from an era where 9:30 was really fast, not today's era where in many Ag races around the world 9:30 won't put you in the top 15 in your AG.

I'd say Fleck's sub 9:30's are equivalent to going 15-20min faster in today's era.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
For the OP let me put some perspective on Fleck's sub 9;30's. Those sub 9;30's of Fleck's came from an era where 9:30 was really fast, not today's era where in many Ag races around the world 9:30 won't put you in the top 15 in your AG.

I'd say Fleck's sub 9:30's are equivalent to going 15-20min faster in today's era.

Are you saying this because in Fleck's era at that speed there were less guys around him, he was racing with slower rubber, on slower bikes and a slower helmet. This would be music to his ears!!! I'd say 10 min for equipment, and 5 min for density of field.
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for your inputs. Did not know I could come to ST for free marriage counseling - this could be the next big application of the wisdom of crowds.

From the feedback, I am going to put in a huge bike focus and see if that translates to some truly meaningful gains - I'm going to spend the next month ramping up volume and avoiding injury. The other big piece of news is that I officially just sent WTC $700 for IM Texas in May. The extra month and half of training (20% higher than my original total) will help make this impossible goal slightly less impossible.

Week 1 training summary:
(BST: Before ST)
Monday: Run 5m
Tuesday: Run 9m w/ 5@6:10 pace (MP)
(AST: After ST)
Wednesday: Bike 15m doing hill repeats, run 2m@5:30 (running last-minute errand)
Thursday: Bike 25m cruise w/ hills (~140bpm)
Friday: AM: Bike 12m, w/ 2x6' all out, 6' recovery. PM: run 6m, w/ 6x 2' on 2' off fartleks
Saturday: AM: Bike 15m, w/2x15' at threshold (what I can hold for 1hr), 5' recovery. PM: run 4m
Sunday: AM: Bike 15m@just below threshold. PM: Bike 18m cruise
Weekly total: 110m bike (7 hours), 26m run (3 hours)

Plan for next week - more biking! Do a HR max test, 2x20', and 5x6' workouts. Some questions:
1. I have trouble raising my HR above 170 on the bike, while I can raise my HR to 190+ running. Is that normal? My legs just feel like they're doing all they can.
2. As you can see, I don't have huge blocks of time for long bike rides. At this point, are these 45m-90m workouts good uses of time or do gains happen at the end of a 40/50-miler? How should I prioritize hill work vs. flat cranking?
3. Any other feedback always appreciated. Marriage is still going well. Just came back from a romantic weekend in Napa and bought wines for each of our next 10 anniversaries (optimism runs beyond just training goals).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it is not uncommon to see a HR of anywhere from 5-10 bpm's lower on the bike then run. I wouldn't concern yourself with Max HR if you are using HR for training, instead do a TT to determine your threshold HR.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WX,

I'm wondering about your inclusion of hill repeats on the bike. Are you using these as VO2 max workout? You will find that IMTX has very little in the way of real hills.
Just to give you an idea, my 58 year old wife raced the entire course in the big chain ring . It's a course where you should be riding aero 99+% of the time so if you're practicing hill repeats sitting up or standing you're doing something very unlike the demands of the race. One thing I find with many triathletes is that they race the way they train. Those who group ride a lot with bike racers jam every hill and drag race out of every corner. If you pattern yourself to hammer the hills in training that's almost certainly what you will do automatically when you race and your excellent run potential will end up paying the price. To ride hills well you need a solid FTP, appropriate gearing and restrain in your pacing. There is nothing magic to doing them beyond that.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply

Prev Next