Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures....
Quote | Reply
76 degrees this a.m.
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [TheBeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand the concern about it being above 76.1, but you still have the option of wearing one (with the associated limitations.) Wouldn't there be more of an issue if it was approaching the 83.8 cutoff?
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [Peanut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sure.
But that totally depends on one's goals.
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [TheBeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If everyone would stop practicing peeing in their wetsuits while in Mirror Lake, this problem wouldn't exist. But nooooooo, each morning hundreds of triathletes line up for their practice sessions and make it a full swim dress rehearsal. Sigh, nothing new on race day I suppose.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that would ruin my day
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
that would ruin my day

No way Steve
it would just mean a few more minutes before you pass me.
:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They're taking temps in shallow water off the dock, I can't imagine that would serve as an official lake temp for a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheBeek wrote:
UKINNY wrote:
that would ruin my day

No way Steve
it would just mean a few more minutes before you pass me.
:)

i wish ! i lose about 3 to 4 mins per lap without a wetsuit, maybe more, i will be praying for cool weather
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting.

It's been a much cooler and wetter Spring in the North East, than the previous two years, when we had record breaking average warm Springs, back-to-back.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Interesting.

It's been a much cooler and wetter Spring in the North East, than the previous two years, when we had record breaking average warm Springs, back-to-back.

Uh, Steve - it's been hot as balls for weeks now.

Not quite the record heat wave we had prior to LP in '11, but definitely above average for what we'd normally expect.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ML,

Thanks.

Weird.

It's definitely been much cooler/wetter in the Toronto area than the past two years. Perhaps southern heat, has not come this far north. But LP is not that far south of Toronto!

Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yer lucky. Very lucky.

Must missed this current thread...
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread

I think the coolest daytime temps we've had in the Hudson Valley for the last few weeks, has been low 80's.
Daytime highs have more typically been in the high 80's, to mid 90's.
(these #'s sound much less impressive in metric, but I'm sure you get the idea)

And pretty oppressive humidity, consistently.
It's basically been like a bad August, only in June and early July.

Yay, climate change!! :-p

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's strange.

There must be like a line across the border or through the Great Lakes, because it certainly has NOT been like that in southern Ontario. I was in the Eastern Townships of Quebec a week and a half ago and again, it was about 70F for the highs on the three days I was there for the National Cycling Championships.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

Not quite the record heat wave we had prior to LP in '11, but definitely above average for what we'd normally expect.

Sorry Murph, but the data don't show "hot as balls" numbers (see chart below). Below is the high and low profiles for Lake Placid for most of June. There was a grand total of 5 days (counting June 1st, which I was unable to efficiently fit in the pic but was 85) when the high temps were hotter than 80º. A majority of the days (count 15) had high temps less than 70º, leaving a total of 10 days when the temps were between 70 and 80. July highs thus far have been 70, 76, 81 with a projected high today of 80. The average high for today in LP is 78.

Now, the average human male body temp is 98.6º. But, the testes need to be kept about 4º cooler for optimal sperm production, hence their placement outside the body in the scrotum for a temp at 94. Granted that we are triathletes and prone to wearing tight fitting clothing but research shows that the testicles/ scrotum combination does a fairly efficient job at handling heat stress in tight clothing.

Therefore, your 'hot as balls' hypothesis is refuted on multiple levels and Steve's comment of 'interesting given the cool spring' remains a valid observation.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
That's strange.

There must be like a line across the border or through the Great Lakes, because it certainly has NOT been like that in southern Ontario. I was in the Eastern Townships of Quebec a week and a half ago and again, it was about 70F for the highs on the three days I was there for the National Cycling Championships.

Warm weather hates Canada....
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

Sorry Murph, but the data don't show "hot as balls" numbers (see chart below). Below is the high and low profiles for Lake Placid for most of June. There was a grand total of 5 days (counting June 1st, which I was unable to efficiently fit in the pic but was 85) when the high temps were hotter than 80º. A majority of the days (count 15) had high temps less than 70º, leaving a total of 10 days when the temps were between 70 and 80. July highs thus far have been 70, 76, 81 with a projected high today of 80. The average high for today in LP is 78.

Now, the average human male body temp is 98.6º. But, the testes need to be kept about 4º cooler for optimal sperm production, hence their placement outside the body in the scrotum for a temp at 94. Granted that we are triathletes and prone to wearing tight fitting clothing but research shows that the testicles/ scrotum combination does a fairly efficient job at handling heat stress in tight clothing.

Therefore, your 'hot as balls' hypothesis is refuted on multiple levels and Steve's comment of 'interesting given the cool spring' remains a valid observation.

LOLZ. Thorough de-bunking.

OK - so it IS from all the swimmers peeing in their wetsuits then. Point conceded.

I guess that, since my balls are so large, they are better insulated, and thus warmer?

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

OK - so it IS from all the swimmers peeing in their wetsuits then. Point conceded.

I guess that, since my balls are so large, they are better insulated, and thus warmer?

I've not seen your balls nor received any data on their size or insulative properties (which I believe is measured in R-values, but I'm unsure what an average R-value for testicles looks like). However, I could conclude that if indeed your balls are larger than normal (genetic disease perhaps?) and better insulated, they would actually be warmer. This would place them even further away from the average temps being posted by LP at this time. :-)

-----

To the rest of you people freaking out about Mirror Lake temps (honest analysis now, leaving ML's anatomy aside)- I suspect that the temps are a result of the high levels of warm rain water being dumped in the ADK's this past week. Looking ahead at the 10 day forecast, the high temps are hovering near average (78º) with lows in the 50s. Further, the rains should stop. Therefore, the Mirror Lake water temperature will probably drop a few degrees over the course of the next 10 days. Of course, this is based off of current models and are suspect to change.

Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

I've not seen your balls nor received any data on their size or insulative properties (which I believe is measured in R-values, but I'm unsure what an average R-value for testicles looks like). However, I could conclude that if indeed your balls are larger than normal (genetic disease perhaps?) and better insulated, they would actually be warmer. This would place them even further away from the average temps being posted by LP at this time. :-)

-----

To the rest of you people freaking out about Mirror Lake temps (honest analysis now, leaving ML's anatomy aside)- I suspect that the temps are a result of the high levels of warm rain water being dumped in the ADK's this past week. Looking ahead at the 10 day forecast, the high temps are hovering near average (78º) with lows in the 50s. Further, the rains should stop. Therefore, the Mirror Lake water temperature will probably drop a few degrees over the course of the next 10 days. Of course, this is based off of current models and are suspect to change.

Yeesh. I guess my posting w// too much blood in my coffee-stream, is worse than some people drunk-posting.
I'll put down the shovel now.

OK, except to say one more thing... we were all 99.999% sure in '11 that it would be wetsuit-legal.
Granted, the forecast now doesn't look like that epic heatwave then, but it's still a good idea to be prepared for both options.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
[
Yeesh. I guess my posting w// too much blood in my coffee-stream, is worse than some people drunk-posting.

OK, except to say one more thing... we were all 99.999% sure in '11 that it would be wetsuit-legal.
Granted, the forecast now doesn't look like that epic heatwave then, but it's still a good idea to be prepared for both options.

I think you just experience what excessive caffeine does to me- sorry about that.

Fully 100% agree that any and all triathletes should be prepared for whatever lies ahead (I always think that everything is a trap, which is the reason I'm still alive). This includes being ready to do an IM swim sans wetsuit. It certainly would avoid the 'freakout' sessions.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
[

I think you just experience what excessive caffeine does to me- sorry about that.

Fully 100% agree that any and all triathletes should be prepared for whatever lies ahead (I always think that everything is a trap, which is the reason I'm still alive). This includes being ready to do an IM swim sans wetsuit. It certainly would avoid the 'freakout' sessions.

I was totally unprepared for a non-wetsuit swim at LP that year. It had never happened there before, so...

Probably my biggest regret in this sport, is that I didn't plan for that potential scenario, and I ended up just winging it when we found out race am that they weren't allowed for KQ aspirants. Not that it would have salvaged my God-awful, terrible, near-death swim experience, but not having a swim skin, just in case, is something I kick myself (figuratively - with you I need to be 100% clear on these things) about a lot. <sigh>

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think bigger balls would have a higher thermal inertia, and therefore take longer to heat up. Your big balls should be cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheBeek wrote:
I think bigger balls would have a higher thermal inertia, and therefore take longer to heat up. Your big balls should be cool.

Sadly, I was thinking about Murphy's Law's testicles a little bit more (caffeine still hasn't worn off yet) and his size conundrum. I believe that I might have been mistaken about the effects of size in this problem. Many times in the animal kingdom, larger size equates to a greater cooling surface. For example, the ears on elephants or desert rodents allow for an increased dissipation of heat. My guess is the ML's testicles might actually be cooler that the average (both figuratively and literally) man's. Therefore, my previous conclusions about the temps relative to anatomy are likely incorrect. Murph- Please accept my apologies on many levels.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the temperature is 76 on July 4th, there is zero chance it will be a wetsuit legal swim on race day, it hasn't even been that hot yet.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [konaexpress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope that it is not wetsuit legal. I hope also that they stick to the rules and do not allow them - not for anyone. That in and of itself would be a heck of a wake-up call for many of the AG.

I think that if they do not allow wetsuits at LP the bike course would be a whole lot less packed up in the MOP area...and the BOP will be monstrous. That of course would make the out and back on the bike even more of a train wreck than it has been since the population of the event went over 1800.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGRNHiMN9ZI
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [Jookie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jookie wrote:
I hope that it is not wetsuit legal. I hope also that they stick to the rules and do not allow them - not for anyone. That in and of itself would be a heck of a wake-up call for many of the AG.

I think that if they do not allow wetsuits at LP the bike course would be a whole lot less packed up in the MOP area...and the BOP will be monstrous. That of course would make the out and back on the bike even more of a train wreck than it has been since the population of the event went over 1800.

If "they stick to the rules" they will still allow wetsuits with the temperature over 76.1F. as long as it does not exceed 83.8 and with the knowledge that those that wear wetsuits will not be eligible for age group awards or Kona slots. There is absolutely no way the lake will exceed 84F.. so once again it will be a mixed swim. I wonder how this will work with the rolling start? Will the wetsuited folks go last?

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply

Prev Next