Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
One shot at Kona - here goes!
Quote | Reply
Okay, so I have one window to train for and one race to qualify for Kona. I've read through many of the training threads, and think I have a plan. Would love to hear everyone's advice and will keep updating this to keep up the motivation.

Backstory: Just got married, got clearance from wife for one shot at reaching this goal. Any energy wasted on why, how, etc, is silly. This is it, folks! Think Eminem when he was still angry. Haven't done a triathlon since 2011 but have dreamed about one many times.

THE race: IM Los Cabos. March, 2014 (gives me 9 months to train).

Why I think (hope?) this is possible: recent 2:40 open marathon, under 30, ultramarathons have taught me nutrition needs, pulled a 2:33 bike leg at Timberman with 2 mechanical stops, penchant for suffering, analytical nerd
Why this will be hard: 10 hours/week of training and no swimming until September, poor swimmer (10x100 @ 1:40), honeymoon in Asia during Christmas, no powertap or coach (again, let's not worry about why)

Gameplan: 1:10 swim w/ wetsuit, 5:20 bike, 3:00 run, 5min transition gets me to 9:35 and a shot

Training plan:
Phase 1 (5 months, peak at 70.3 late this year, Miamiman? Or something early Dec even better... thoughts?)
- July-August: Get running up to 70-80mi/week (Hansen's philosophy), Cycle on spinner in gym (best use of time, not enough space for trainer at home) 3x/week (2x20', 5x6', 40-45' temp)
- Sept-Oct: running 5K in mid-16's, half in ~1:15; cycling: 4x/week with a longer ride in there; swim 3x/week
- November: peak for half-ironman. Goal of 4:25ish. Dial in nutrition.
- December: Honeymoon... maintenance runs, maybe swims in ocean, little biking opportunity

Phase 2 (3 months, peaking at Los Cabos)
- Jan-Feb: big bike focus. In Boston so will be all indoors (fun!), but hope to build ginormous thighs. Maintain running fitness. Get swim down to 10x100@1:35 through brute force.
- March: get swim technique coaching, drills, get swim down
- Race day: beg/borrow/steal fancy wheels, aerohelmet. Pray my hamstrings don't cramp.

Without a powermeter is there any way I can get a gauge on how my bike fitness is progressing? Like what metric should I use to be able to be comfortable riding a 5-hour bike split? I do have a HRM if that'd be helpful.

Anyways - thanks for reading my self-serving manifesto. My body is also up for sale - happy to borrow/wear anyone's kit for coaching advice. (low odds but thought I'd throw it out there). All advice/criticism welcome!
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [WX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a trainer at home and use trainerroad.com. Short of that or a powermeter - you're just guessing at bike fitness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get swim technique coaching in September, so all those months of pool sessions are more focused. Absolutely insane to leave that until March, when it can make a much larger long term impact.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Proud member of the GUCrew
Twitter: @tripigeon Blog: Ironpigeon.com
Thoughts on AG sponsorships / community involvement: http://bit.ly/1dQlVDy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ummmm, (and this is coming from a female) seriously ?! Your wife is telling you what you can and cannot do ?
Good luck. With everything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will you be able to acclimate to the temp by March? It get pretty dang warm on the run down there.

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [toreishi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that she reads this, but thought I'd clarify... I enjoy spending time with my wife. A lot, actually. Enough so that I'd rather do things together than train the equivalent of a part-time job solo (I am trying to convince her to join the sport as well). Unfortunately we are going to be long-distance from Sept-March so it's the only time I foresee plenty of training time with little downside. Marriage is pretty neat - I highly recommend it. Planning weddings, not so much.

Good idea re: the swimming. I should front-load the technique help.
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:
Get a trainer at home and use trainerroad.com. Short of that or a powermeter - you're just guessing at bike fitness.

Nothing wrong with using HR to train on the bike assuming you do some testing.
Qualifying for Kona is pretty simple. Go top 3 or 4 in your AG. Based on last years time, how fast do you have to to do that and are you close now.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Last edited by: Bryancd: Jul 2, 13 16:39
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Bryancd.
Having done IM Cabo last year. Okay, okay, well up to mile 33 on the bike before I crashed out. Then again, it's a great race. And now that 2014 will be easier, a Kona qualifying is workable. The bike course will be easier for 2014, and I've heard tha thte run course will be easier as well.
IMO, I'm very very likely to go back for 2014.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 and only advice... have fun. You'll never get there making this a "part time job".
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [Borden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was thinking I'd do treadmill/spin sessions in sweats - did you do anything better for heat acclimatization?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are your triathlon results? Have you done an IM? Whee in the AG do you finish at big WTC races? That's going to answer the question a lot faster then dicking around talking about power meters.

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude. No other words than I hope you can do it. Just train your ass off and have fun. Kona is a badass prize if the race goes well!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WX wrote:
... gets me to 9:35 and a shot

You need to set your goals better. A shot is not worth the effort. Set your goals so when you reach them you go to Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
toreishi wrote:
Ummmm, (and this is coming from a female) seriously ?! Your wife is telling you what you can and cannot do ?

+1

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...s-who_n_1923623.html
http://medicalxpress.com/...women-cooperate.html
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [Grindcore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grindcore wrote:
toreishi wrote:

+1

Agreed, but isn't that just how it works? Am I missing something?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sexiest word to a female in the English language is NO.

Of course, if the kid KQs he'll prolly have options o plenty and a new attitude to go with it. :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri results?

Assuming you are M2529, you're going to need to be top 3 in AG for KQ at an early season race.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Not everyone wants to be married to someone who spends all his spare time and energy in an event that only involves him. Maybe she would like to do something with him that would strengthen the marriage? That may sound strange in today's world but it could happen.

I've done 3 IM's when I was single and I wouldn't marry a woman who wanted to do Ironman triathlons. It's way too self-centred a sport.
Last edited by: Sanuk: Jul 2, 13 17:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WX wrote:
Okay, so I have one window to train for and one race to qualify for Kona. I've read through many of the training threads, and think I have a plan. Would love to hear everyone's advice and will keep updating this to keep up the motivation.

Backstory: Just got married, got clearance from wife for one shot at reaching this goal. Any energy wasted on why, how, etc, is silly. This is it, folks! Think Eminem when he was still angry. Haven't done a triathlon since 2011 but have dreamed about one many times.

THE race: IM Los Cabos. March, 2014 (gives me 9 months to train).

Why I think (hope?) this is possible: recent 2:40 open marathon, under 30, ultramarathons have taught me nutrition needs, pulled a 2:33 bike leg at Timberman with 2 mechanical stops, penchant for suffering, analytical nerd
Why this will be hard: 10 hours/week of training and no swimming until September, poor swimmer (10x100 @ 1:40), honeymoon in Asia during Christmas, no powertap or coach (again, let's not worry about why)

Gameplan: 1:10 swim w/ wetsuit, 5:20 bike, 3:00 run, 5min transition gets me to 9:35 and a shot

Training plan:
Phase 1 (5 months, peak at 70.3 late this year, Miamiman? Or something early Dec even better... thoughts?)
- July-August: Get running up to 70-80mi/week (Hansen's philosophy), Cycle on spinner in gym (best use of time, not enough space for trainer at home) 3x/week (2x20', 5x6', 40-45' temp)
- Sept-Oct: running 5K in mid-16's, half in ~1:15; cycling: 4x/week with a longer ride in there; swim 3x/week
- November: peak for half-ironman. Goal of 4:25ish. Dial in nutrition.
- December: Honeymoon... maintenance runs, maybe swims in ocean, little biking opportunity

Phase 2 (3 months, peaking at Los Cabos)
- Jan-Feb: big bike focus. In Boston so will be all indoors (fun!), but hope to build ginormous thighs. Maintain running fitness. Get swim down to 10x100@1:35 through brute force.
- March: get swim technique coaching, drills, get swim down
- Race day: beg/borrow/steal fancy wheels, aerohelmet. Pray my hamstrings don't cramp.

Without a powermeter is there any way I can get a gauge on how my bike fitness is progressing? Like what metric should I use to be able to be comfortable riding a 5-hour bike split? I do have a HRM if that'd be helpful.

Anyways - thanks for reading my self-serving manifesto. My body is also up for sale - happy to borrow/wear anyone's kit for coaching advice. (low odds but thought I'd throw it out there). All advice/criticism welcome!

Wow, this is a head scratcher. You've set up so many constraints that you will really have an uphill battle. Not even sure where to start. One big question is what AG will you be?

To successfully KQ, you need a combination of the following: time, money, smarts, luck, experience, and determination. Not all are necessarily required, but if you are lacking in more than one, it will be next to impossible. I'll expand on each and explain further.

Time: W/ only 10hrs you are seriously limiting your potential. Look at it this way: 3x 45:00 swims (2:15), 4x 1hr runs (4:00), and that leaves you 3:45 per week to bike. There is no way in god's green earth 3:45 biking per week will get you KQ. Plus, since you are so heavily run focused, you'll be running far more than the 4:00 I estimated which leaves even less time to swim and bike. As many KQ'ers and high level coaches will tell you, the key to a fast run and great overall result in an IM is great bike training and race execution on the bike. That means more, smart bike training. But time is limited. See where I'm going w/ this?

Money: This can buy you free (or cheap or expensive) speed. E.g. deep section front wheel, disk or at least a wheel cover for the rear, aero helmet, BTA drink set up, single bottle rear, aero front brake, clean cabling/wires, etc. Also means coaching, indoor trainer, gas/bus/cab costs to and from practices, better nutrition for meals, training, racing, and recovery, and on and on. Again, you don't need all of that, but the more, the better. Look at many of the KQ'ers at any WTC race, and I bet you they have nearly all those things I mention. Doesn't mean you can't get there, but odds are reducing more and more. Also, racing practice and experience. It is good you'll do an end of season 1/2, but can you do any other races for a gauge of fitness and progress? Do not bother w/ an open 1/2 or full marathon; they are different beasts and NOT the same training prep. The only exception would be if you can find a 1/2 marathon that starts mid to late morning in which you can bike (brick) before it and great race simulation.

Smarts: Sounds like you will be mostly self-coached. Very risky/dangerous endeavor for a big dream like KQ. Read every stinkin' thread on this website. But before you believe it all, take notes on who appears to be the most knowledgeable. Not who posts the most or who has the biggest signature line, but who appears to be the most credible/successful/etc at either racing or coaching or both. Smarts does NOT mean high IQ or PhD or MD, but really rather common sense. Will you be training sensibly? Will you know how to stay injury-free and if injured, what to do? Can you learn proper training, do that, and execute in (your limited) racing schedule? IM nutrition can be quite different than ultra nutrition too. You won't get to learn what AP, NP, TSS, IF, VI are...so you will have to be a disciplined student of HR in all aspects of your training.

Luck: Almost all WTC KQ events nowadays have many KQ studs that show up. Look at IMCDA this year M30-34 as an example and who was shut out and their time. My time from IMAZ in '11 (9:21, 3rd in AG, M35-39) would not have even KQ'd in '12. Their are countless other examples as well. Plus, you are hitting an earlier WTC event where there are likely to be zero roll downs at that point in the year. Also, w/ Lake Tahoe being a later summer event, you are hitting the only west coast WTC event in the 1st 7+ months of the year if you don't count CDA.

Experience: Every race, especially of similar distance, climate, etc is a learning experience. Ask anyone on here, even multi KQ'ers. Every Kona, every IM, every race I learn something (or screw something up). That's why it's so important to, if not do races, simulate races. No trainer, in Boston, w/ limited funds makes that really really tough. Find a way to simulate racing if you cannot participate.

Determination: I will give you this...at least on paper. I'd suggest holding yourself accountable in some manner. Report back here every month. Hire an "advisor" (coach w/ some exchange of services) to keep you honest. Reporting in August that you ran 300 miles is not really taking steps towards KQ. Remember, an IM is not a free, open marathon...but a difficult run after a LONG bike ride that you are racing at a goal of 21mph. I bet no more than 5-10 AG men in all WTC North American events in the last year have run 3:00 or faster. How many of them KQ'd? Probably most and it's b/c they biked a 4:40-5:00. Like others said, get that swim coach as early as possible. Also, you have to shoot for far more than 10x 100 @ whatever. You have to be able to swim 4000 straight, 4x 1000 descend 1-4, 2x 2000 for time, 10x 400 desc 1-3 (3x) and #10 all out, etc.

A good start is to set up a more definitive plan, get a good bike fit or at least show us pics, and sit down w/ your wife NOW and tell her what will really be involved. Possibly look for free online IM plans too. But remember, you are not a run of the mill, bucket lister w/ your goal. You have a goal of basically being FOP which is a very small subset of triathletes.

I hope my tone did not come across as too harsh...but honest and frank. Take this from a self-coached multi-KQ'er.

Best of luck and use the search function on these forums for a wealth of knowledge.

Last edited by: irontri: Jul 2, 13 18:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [irontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent advice.

I'll chime in with some names to search for:

Paulo Sousa
smartasscoach
.. (might be three periods)

All of the above are aliases of Paulo

Desert Dude

MarkyV

Francois

Dr. Phil (Skibba) (?) - also you should go by both his books: http://www.physfarm.com

There are some others, but scour everything you can by those folks - digest it, read it again, and then ask questions.
Last edited by: sentania: Jul 2, 13 18:52
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Have you done an Ironman before?

Yeah, still waiting on hearing that myself.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and obviously sentania and BryanCD for experienced, multi-KQ'ers as well:)

Quote | Reply
irontri wrote:
and obviously sentania and BryanCD for experienced, multi-KQ'ers as well:)

I think you covered very succinctly, Cam. :)

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I've got nothing to add. You summed it up very, very well.
Quote Reply

Prev Next