Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Beefcaked" at the Tupper Lake Half Ironman
Quote | Reply
A bunch of us were back in Tupper Lake for the half IM today.

This is the 31st year in a row that community has held this race. The road to Kona used to go through Tupper in the early 90's. In fact, I believe Fleck got a Kona slot at Tupper many years ago. Many years ago, this was the go to half IM in the North East. There was no Tremblant 70.3 no Rev3 Quassy, no Mooseman (RIP), no Timberman, no Musselman, no Syracuse 70.3, no Muskoka 70.3. It was just Tupper. The race is put on by the local community to raise money for the High school sports teams. Many of the organizers are high school coaches. This is as "anti corporate"as it gets. Aside from timing chips and faster equipment, if you show up at Tupper Lake, nothing has really changed since 1990, and frankly that is a great thing. The race typically gets around 500-800 people between half IM, sprint and relays

For me, it was my 18th time racing there since 1990. It's easier to count the number of years that I have missed than than the ones I did.

Anyway, down to the blow by blow. My friend Kieth Alber has been training pretty hard, but has not had a "good day" to unleash is his full strength. It seems that every time we square off either the weather is stinking hot (like St. Croix) or there is something that gets in the way of his perfect race.

Well, there is getting chick'd and there is getty geyser'd (I'm used to both), but generally I pick hilly enough courses or hot enough courses that it is difficult to get "beefcake'd". Normally Kalber is hovering around 210 lbs, but this year, he's eliminated a few built in weight jackets and down to a svelt 190 lbs.

Anyway, some time in the swim, we spotted each other and this was about as close as it would get. We both came out of the water in around 33 minutes. Early in the bike he passes me like a hurricane. That's the last time I would see him and he screamed into T2 with a 2:23 bike split.

At least MTL (Alex Aluquerque) upheld the honor of the sub 140 lb athletes with a 3rd overall. Burnman just managed to get "un beefcake'd" late in the race by virtually passing Kalber thanks to a 1:28 run.

For me, the 32.59 swim, 2:31 bike and 1:40.01 run was 2 min slower overall than last year (4:46 vs 4:44), but both my swim and run were within seconds of last year. On the bike I had a hard time in the rain and was cautious with all the cracks in the road and was 2 min slower for 4th in 45-49. I also got to "race on feel" as I left my Garmin Edge by mistake at home....which means my Quarq Elsa turned into a really expensive set of cranks. My head was totally engrossed in work during the last 5 days and I was packing last moment around cranking off a proposal for investors/board members.....as it turns out , the powermeter probably would have made zero difference etc.

While I would like to use racing at the Tremblant 70.3 6 days ago as a bit of an excuse, the reality when I look back at things is that my body felt fine. Today's race is about all I could squeek out of me. I don't think I'd be any faster with a month of no racing. I was pretty recovered.

Very happy for Kalber...a few more seconds and he goes sub 4:40, but the big prize for him is 4 weeks from now at IMLP. Looking forward to getting beefcake'd again, provided that we both "don't go slow".

I just realized that I have done 1008 miles of racing on the Tupper Lake course since 1990!!! The good news is that my swim and bike split was the same as back in 1990 (I guess the new technology helps)....run is more like 15 minutes slower...kind of sucks to get old but better to still be doing it than not at all.

Well done Keith. Keep it up!

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: "Beefcaked" at the Tupper Lake Half Ironman [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice work Dev and Keith!
Quote Reply
Re: "Beefcaked" at the Tupper Lake Half Ironman [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good job boy's , next year i will be in your AG if you dont age up.
not going to be much of a threat to ya both but I will be there :0).
Dev it is nice to sometimes leave the gadgets at home and go by feel. I think tht would hold me back in a good way :0)

Re: "Beefcaked" at the Tupper Lake Half Ironman [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Related to gadgets, yes, I actually ride by feel 8 rides per week (bike commuting and often on my tri bike) and then I have 2 rides per week with powermeter. The reality is that as long as you don't have a bike speedomoeter messing up your decision making you're probably going to do the exact same ride on powermeter or feel. It's the stupid speed on a speedomoeter that makes you spike your power. My best Ironman was actually done with no bike computer, no watch, no powermeter. Just 100% feel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Dev I am drawn into the abyss by that darn average MPH :0(.
but now I will be training with Power readings and HR. That and this new diet I hope helps for next year. We will see.........

Last edited by: Bmanners: Jun 29, 13 20:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i will train without gadgets also though. try to get more in touch with myself.

Quote | Reply
Bmanners wrote:
try to get more in touch with myself.

Just be careful about where you do that in public....

--
Yes, I know it's grammatically incorrect. Blame AOL and their 90s-era character limits.
--
Quote Reply
Re: "Beefcaked" at the Tupper Lake Half Ironman [yournotunique] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yournotunique wrote:
Bmanners wrote:
try to get more in touch with myself.

Just be careful about where you do that in public....
Somebody got jokes....
I was expecting that :0)

Quote | Reply
Bmanners wrote:

You're married, right? You'll get more and more in touch w/ yourself as the years go by then.

Props to BEEEEEEEEEFcake for a solid PB effort.
Burnman was the last to avoid the infamy of being Beefcaked on the day. Nice work J-Dub!
Good job Dev, you are nothing if not consistent.

Alex killed it, huh? That guy just doesn't slow down, at all.
Speaking of which - Chuck Perreault.

What's with the 6th place guy getting a 12:00 penalty?? How does one even do that, w/o getting DQ'd?

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did a quick scan of the thread before reading and I have to say I'm already disappointed. With a title like that, I expect explicit pictures.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: "Beefcaked" at the Tupper Lake Half Ironman [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Bmanners wrote:

You're married, right? You'll get more and more in touch w/ yourself as the years go by then.

Burnman was the last to avoid the infamy of being Beefcaked on the day. Nice work J-Dub!

What's with the 6th place guy getting a 12:00 penalty?? How does one even do that, w/o getting DQ'd?

Can't wait to hear Kalber's version of the blow by blow of the all but 15 folks or so that he beefcaked at Tupper. As for being consistent, well, it part of the camel routine, although being a camel at Tupper in the not so cold rain was not required!
Quote Reply
Re: "Beefcaked" at the Tupper Lake Half Ironman [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Bmanners wrote:

Bernard is one of my friends and he beat me fair and square saturday. I gave my 100% and couldn't catch him on the run. He got two silly penalties for not riding close enough to the white line (blocking)!!! He got that twice (4min + 8min), the ref didn't gave him a yellow card mentioning that he got one penalty. He rode pretty much by himself the whole thing! I tried hard to stay in contact with him when he caught me around 18mi, but after mile 35, he just pulled away there was nothing that I could do. So getting two penalties for blocking and nobody pass him on the bike is questionnable! The bike course isn't close to trafic, he might have slow down cars that tried to pass him...

Anyhow, in my head he's the 2nd overall finisher not mather what the results are posting.

For those interested in power number:

Bike:
Time: 2:22:45
Avg Power: 224
NP: 231 watts
Average speed: 37.9km/h
Watts/kg 3.74
Rpm 90
Hr 144
Quote Reply
Re: "Beefcaked" at the Tupper Lake Half Ironman [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTL wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Bmanners wrote:

Bernard is one of my friends and he beat me fair and square saturday. I gave my 100% and couldn't catch him on the run. He got two silly penalties for not riding close enough to the white line (blocking)!!! He got that twice (4min + 8min), the ref didn't gave him a yellow card mentioning that he got one penalty. He rode pretty much by himself the whole thing! I tried hard to stay in contact with him when he caught me around 18mi, but after mile 35, he just pulled away there was nothing that I could do. So getting two penalties for blocking and nobody pass him on the bike is questionnable! The bike course isn't close to trafic, he might have slow down cars that tried to pass him...

Anyhow, in my head he's the 2nd overall finisher not mather what the results are posting.

Bike:
Watts/kg 3.74
Rpm 90
Hr 144

Alex was coy in the posting about how "unbeefy" he is.....224/3.74 says that the guy is weighing in at sub 60 kilos.

I have to stop putting food in my mouth. I biked at 219AP/231NP at Tremblant 70.3....that got me a 2:33. That course is barely 2 min harder than Tupper. Great race Alex. Thanks for the reminder. my engine is fine, but the engine is hauling around too much "chassis".

Time to go train. IMLP is only 3.5 weeks away. It's one thing to wing half IM's on somewhat haphazard training, another thing to disrespect the full distance. Plus, getting beefcake'd by Kalber for 2 races in a row could mean that ML might ask slowman to cut my posting quota in half because I am posting too much and not training enough. We wouldn't want that to happen.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
MTL wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Bmanners wrote:

Bike:
Watts/kg 3.74
Rpm 90
Hr 144

Alex was coy in the posting about how "unbeefy" he is.....224/3.74 says that the guy is weighing in at sub 60 kilos.

I have to stop putting food in my mouth. I biked at 219AP/231NP at Tremblant 70.3....that got me a 2:33. That course is barely 2 min harder than Tupper. Great race Alex. Thanks for the reminder. my engine is fine, but the engine is hauling around too much "chassis".

Time to go train. IMLP is only 3.5 weeks away. It's one thing to wing half IM's on somewhat haphazard training, another thing to disrespect the full distance. Plus, getting beefcake'd by Kalber for 2 races in a row could mean that ML might ask slowman to cut my posting quota in half because I am posting too much and not training enough. We wouldn't want that to happen.

Dev

I'm not sub 60kg but 62kg - 136 lbs. Please don't put me thinner that I'm. Sub 60 is Greg Welch area when he won Kona. I have no intention to get that low, would prefer to get more watts that to jack-up the ratio watts/kg than losing more weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

...Well, there is getting chick'd and there is getty geyser'd...
Dev

You say this, and I can't help but picture it somehow with IMFL poop guy, and well... I picture getting geyser'd being a pretty bad day. Particularly if it happens on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,

Thanks for the props. It is amazing how much differently I race in hot vs moderate/cold conditions. In 3 out of my last 4 half ironmans I went 4:40:xx and ran 1:37-1:40. Then there's St Croix with a 2:13 "run" on less power. Ouch. My other recent half's in hot weather weren't quite as abysmal as the run at St Croix...but still pretty awful.

I'm not trying to sound like a sandbagger but in all honesty I felt pretty crappy going into the race. As you know, I've been hitting it pretty hard since Epicman. I took it very easy last week, but it was apparent that my "a" game (whatever that is) wasn't being brought to Tupper Lake on Saturday. I was really in a deep hole of training fatigue (oh well). Initially I was going to target 270-275 NP for the bike...however that went out the window very early as it was quite apparent that my legs weren't up to the task. I had made the decision friday that I was most likely going to back off the bike and try to have a decent run (which I did for me). I was struggling to crack 200 watts in the days leading up to the race.

I thought it was pretty funny to look over and see you with about 3-400m left on the swim. It was a little disappointing to swim slower than last year even though the conditions were much better. The bike was very lonely after I passed burnman a little ways before the turn around. I think I caught 2 more guys after that. As for the numbers, I was probably 195-96 on race day (I've only had a few days lower than that...usually after my long run day).

Time: 2:23:59
Avg Power:244
Max Power:657 (woops)
Max Avg Power (20 min):256
Normalized Power (NP):256
WIntensity Factor (IF):0.753
Training Stress Score (TSS):132.6
Work:2,071 kJ

I was very happy that I made the decision to cut back on the power on the bike. I felt very solid on the run and was trying to just view things as a hard training day for IMLP. Justin Weiler passed me around the 10k mark absolutely flying (with a guy flying even faster in front of him). That was on the long gradual downhill. They must have been running sub 6:00 pace at that point in time. During the short out and back next to the lake I didn't see anybody close to me...so i decided to just get-r-done and let my pace slow down. It's not like I could have run A LOT faster...but I wasn't willing to bury myself either. My only real issue was a side stitch that cropped up on the run after taking in some water around mile 8ish. Thankfully it went away in less than a mile. I took in all of my calories pre race and during the ride. I literally only had water on the run. I'm guessing that I will NOT be able to do that at IMLP ;)

I also had some issues with my garmin on the bike. The recent firmware on the 910xt has a bug during auto-multisport mode...so i wasn't getting any distance readings (until I uploaded it to strava later). I could see time, power, NP and current speed. The bug sent me on a 5,500 mile Indiana Jones expedition to the atlantic ocean just off the coast of Nigeria. I found this pretty amusing...but apparently some people on strava have no sense of humour (intentionally spelled in UK form). This launched me way out in front for a June bike challenge on strava. When I looked at my email later sunday evening I had a bunch of "friend requests" from the UK and some very nasty comments from a couple of users in particular. Some people really need to get a life.

My only major complaints about TL are the handups on the bike. They really should not be handing up tiny water and gatorade bottles with twist off caps. I also got kinda hosed in transition. I was in the rack way over next to the motel (somebody said they moved it there due to mud...so i can understand that...it just kind of sucked. oh well). They should also group AG's together as much as possible in transtion. Aside from those 2 things...I'm a big fan of this race. Hopefully it does not die off with the HITS race in Lake George on the same weekend. The numbers at the HITS race were significantly lower than TL...as was the level of competition IMO. It is actually easier for me to do TL and stay at my in-laws camp than the HITS race (as it's on the northern part of Lake George). So I'd probably still opt for TL regardless.

IMLP should be fun (until it isn't). We should try to find each other at the start of the swim.

Beeeeeefcake!!!! ;)

edit: Just to be clear...I'm very happy with my end result. I feel like I managed my race well. However, as we discussed before the race...there is no perfect race. Hell...even crowie had issue's in his Kona record performance.
Last edited by: KAlber: Jul 2, 13 11:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Well, there is getting chick'd and there is getty geyser'd (I'm used to both), but generally I pick hilly enough courses or hot enough courses that it is difficult to get "beefcake'd".

Tell me more about getting geyser'd please.

Quote Reply
Re: "Beefcaked" at the Tupper Lake Half Ironman [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry...I only beefcake people in person...especially the womens ;)
Quote Reply
Re: "Beefcaked" at the Tupper Lake Half Ironman [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definite props to both you and Dev on solid races. I knew you would pass me pretty early into the bike, so my goal was really to keep it steady, limit the damage, and exact my revenge on the run. To be perfectly honest, the goal of not getting beefcaked is half of what kept me moving on the run - the other half being my sheer desire to lay down and take a nap.

Dev passed me shortly before we made it into T2, and I wasn't sandbagging when I told him that I felt like hot garbage. (He looked pretty good at that point.) I'd had a lousy 7-8 days leading up to Tupper, and I just couldn't muster up a second wind to save my life. I took off on the run at my goal pace, but the effort was through the roof. By the time I reached you at around mile 6, I had no choice but to dial it back to ~6:40, and eventually mailed it in after the short out and back by the lake.

It was a strange race this year as it seemed very thin on both the bike and run. Typically, I encounter far more people out on the course, but this year, I think that I kept the same 3-4 guys in sight on the bike for nearly 40 miles, and had another 4-5 guys in relative proximity to me on the run after the descent out of town.

Tupper is always a good day ... even when it's not a good day.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: "Beefcaked" at the Tupper Lake Half Ironman [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding passing people in Tupper Lake. For me, it all happened in the water! I must have passed 140 of them because once on the bike I passed 3 or 4 athletes before mile 5 and then it was riding pretty much alone with another guy. I got passed by Bernard but that's it. On the run pass another guy.

In terms of bragging... My wife got first place overall... A friend of ours told me that she was 3 times better then me. Guess I got chicked! :)

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/537719/Perreault-powers-to-third-straight-Tinman-title.html?nav=5010

In terms of things that Tupper Lake could improve I will add (Cola) on the run. On the finishers there's coca-cola logo but no coke available during run...uhh

About awards I would just skip them!!! Top three in each category received a certificate (paper), same thing for the overall Top 3. Except the winners that received a plaque and flowers.

Just don't give anything it's better...

I have to say that they (organization) did a great job late the day before the race to reconfigure the transition because the first setup have the racks were flooded!
Quote Reply
Re: "Beefcaked" at the Tupper Lake Half Ironman [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that I was in line for any hardware, but I think they should go back to plaques for the age group awards, and I agree, proper bottles are required on the bike. Fortunately it was a cool day or there would be dehydration carnage on the bike. Whatever people may say about WTC, at least these types of places are not where they try to cut costs. I understand TL wanting to keep costs down as this is a fundraiser too, but at the same time, there are some things that athletes just rely on in terms of support. Proper water bottles are required.

MTL, congrats to your wife. The rest of the WOMENS should be worried at IM Tremblant!
Quote Reply
Re: "Beefcaked" at the Tupper Lake Half Ironman [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KAlber wrote:
sorry...I only beefcake people in person...especially the womens ;)

aw, c'mon, you know you want to! :)

would it help to know I'm lying in bed with my youngest (of 4) on the 2nd day of summer vacation watching The Simpsons and sick as dogs with summer colds? This might be a dying wish!

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply