Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [jhpcga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I both did the race yesterday, and at the end we both came to the conclusion it was a very fun race even with the logistical issues. I actually enjoyed the bike and run a ton. So yes, we would both be back.

The bag issue wasn't great, but my wife and I had plans as it was so we just stopped by at 4pm to pick it up later. If we attempted to leave immediately after I am sure we would have had a different perspective. The bus line should have been split between spectators and athletes earlier.

As far as those complaining about the hill, it was a hill. Expect hills in triathlons. There maybe even a hill in the bike course. Sometimes. Deal with it.

The one thing I really appreciated about it was Rev3 had absolutely no qualms about switching me from the Half to the olympic the day before. They were extremely helpful and took care of it within 3 minutes. No questions asked.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the yardage in the pool. Three times a week, as a matter of fact. I'm not disputing that if I didn't make the established cut off, my chip should have been pulled. My point is that a guy in a kayak said the cutoff was extended and come to find out, that was not true. My other main point is that I was told I could not finish the race without a chip, yet I have talked to some people who knew that others were allowed to continue with the bike and the run, even when their chip was pulled from the swim. If the Rev3 folks allowed some to continue the race without a chip but not others, this hardly seems fair.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [madashell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not being unsympathetic to what you went through becasue it definitely sucks. However, had the guy on the kayak said the cutoff was still an hour, would you have swam 17 minutes faster?

Keep up your training and enjoy all your future races.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [number114] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did my first Rev3 event yesterday. I was really excited about it because after all the hype I have read about them I decided 2013 was the year of the revolution.
Saturday Packed pick up was smooth and easy ... was a little disappointed that there was not enough swag but didn't care much. Really like the way the Transition was set up with the Big screen and everything. No complains about the 2 transitions I checked everything on their website before signing up and I took a risk.

Sunday
If you Pay like me a lot of $$$ for this race you'll better check every single detail of the logistic so it can work for you If you care about your money. I knew that I was in the 6:40 AM wave and in every major race is advice that you get to transition an hour before the start time . in my case that have to be 5:40 to set up every thing get in the wet suit that takes 5 to 7 minutes at least and warm up properly...So before hand you know that T1 is 6miles away from t2 on a shuttle (school) Bus on narrow roads is at least 20 minutes I added 10 min ....So the logistic were explain clearly. As some one that care about the $$$ that I spend I simply planed ahead because I didn't wanted my race screw.
Some time mother nature decide to screw forecast and RD can't do anything about it. This was the case here.

I arrive at T2 right at 5 AM the rain was stopping so went ahead left my running shoes and a gel and went to the shuttle (school) Bus line waited 5 minutes and the next 1 arrived. I took us good 20 minutes to get there so I was in t1 by 5:30. Got my bike tiers pump by 1 of the bike mechanics. I was amazed how smooth everything was running. Got in to my wetsuit and went for a warm up swim. My GF told me that the start was being delayed so that was good for me so I can be more time on the water and noticed the current . The gun went off for the pros and saw how the current was pushing them so knew it was going to be a long day.

T1 The last minute change was OK to me so no complains here. It was said Put your wetsuit on the bag as athlete it was your responsibility to do it

Bike: In another thread here the bike course was describe in detail and plus Rev 3 put a video of the bike course on their site and youtube( as of Saturday it had only 3 views) an athlete is your responsibility to at least check the Rev 3 site for that.

The bike was great a little bit windy In my opinion but true and honest .. It was not as fast as advertise
DRAFTING I only saw 2 course marshals ...Most of it was clean except for a pack of 6 o7 that included a Dc tri club kit and snapple race kit and clearly they all were working together as they were chatting while they were riding and please don't come with the crap 3 bike length is close enough to chat between riders.They clearly were working together the 6 of them

T2 went smoothly no complains

Run Apparently it was change but again as an athlete is your responsibility to check the maps that were given at Packet pick up.
It was humid hot but at least during my run the sun didn't come out. It was a hard hilly run course.

Total time was 5:26 (Slow for the slowtwitch Standard)

Post Race (I stayed to the very end because I had a friend that was having a tough day and was 1 of the last finishers.
The brown shirt is really nice and 70% but also is Dri Balance technology which is pretty cool and the shirt feels really good.
The food was really good nothing top but got the job done ( the Team Z burgers were better )
Medals were the best
Unacceptable stuff
The issue with the results .Is not the first time that has happened on a rev3 race base on my reading of this thread If is a glitch like they are saying it needs to be fixed ASAP. For future races
The wait for the bags from T-1 that also needs to be address some how because is unfair to athletes
The food towards the end. My friend was one of the last finishers and there was no food for him Thanks for Team Z for allowing him to eat Team Z food.

Food and water for spectators was not available for sale. As some body that had work in the event- entrainment industry some time is hard to get permits for this because monetary issues involving 3rd parties .

The party for the last finisher was really good .
Great event put Rev 3 and I will recommend this event over eagleman any time.
Congrats to all the finishers it was tough day on the 1 /2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, I'd love for the chance for Slowman to improve my swim!
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [Erictri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Erictri wrote:
I did my first Rev3 event yesterday. I was really excited about it because after all the hype I have read about them I decided 2013 was the year of the revolution.
Saturday Packed pick up was smooth and easy ... was a little disappointed that there was not enough swag but didn't care much. Really like the way the Transition was set up with the Big screen and everything. No complains about the 2 transitions I checked everything on their website before signing up and I took a risk.

Sunday
If you Pay like me a lot of $$$ for this race you'll better check every single detail of the logistic so it can work for you If you care about your money. I knew that I was in the 6:40 AM wave and in every major race is advice that you get to transition an hour before the start time . in my case that have to be 5:40 to set up every thing get in the wet suit that takes 5 to 7 minutes at least and warm up properly...So before hand you know that T1 is 6miles away from t2 on a shuttle (school) Bus on narrow roads is at least 20 minutes I added 10 min ....So the logistic were explain clearly. As some one that care about the $$$ that I spend I simply planed ahead because I didn't wanted my race screw.
Some time mother nature decide to screw forecast and RD can't do anything about it. This was the case here.

I arrive at T2 right at 5 AM the rain was stopping so went ahead left my running shoes and a gel and went to the shuttle (school) Bus line waited 5 minutes and the next 1 arrived. I took us good 20 minutes to get there so I was in t1 by 5:30. Got my bike tiers pump by 1 of the bike mechanics. I was amazed how smooth everything was running. Got in to my wetsuit and went for a warm up swim. My GF told me that the start was being delayed so that was good for me so I can be more time on the water and noticed the current . The gun went off for the pros and saw how the current was pushing them so knew it was going to be a long day.

T1 The last minute change was OK to me so no complains here. It was said Put your wetsuit on the bag as athlete it was your responsibility to do it

Bike: In another thread here the bike course was describe in detail and plus Rev 3 put a video of the bike course on their site and youtube( as of Saturday it had only 3 views) an athlete is your responsibility to at least check the Rev 3 site for that.

The bike was great a little bit windy In my opinion but true and honest .. It was not as fast as advertise
DRAFTING I only saw 2 course marshals ...Most of it was clean except for a pack of 6 o7 that included a Dc tri club kit and snapple race kit and clearly they all were working together as they were chatting while they were riding and please don't come with the crap 3 bike length is close enough to chat between riders.They clearly were working together the 6 of them

T2 went smoothly no complains

Run Apparently it was change but again as an athlete is your responsibility to check the maps that were given at Packet pick up.
It was humid hot but at least during my run the sun didn't come out. It was a hard hilly run course.

Total time was 5:26 (Slow for the slowtwitch Standard)

Post Race (I stayed to the very end because I had a friend that was having a tough day and was 1 of the last finishers.
The brown shirt is really nice and 70% but also is Dri Balance technology which is pretty cool and the shirt feels really good.
The food was really good nothing top but got the job done ( the Team Z burgers were better )
Medals were the best
Unacceptable stuff
The issue with the results .Is not the first time that has happened on a rev3 race base on my reading of this thread If is a glitch like they are saying it needs to be fixed ASAP. For future races
The wait for the bags from T-1 that also needs to be address some how because is unfair to athletes
The food towards the end. My friend was one of the last finishers and there was no food for him Thanks for Team Z for allowing him to eat Team Z food.

Food and water for spectators was not available for sale. As some body that had work in the event- entrainment industry some time is hard to get permits for this because monetary issues involving 3rd parties .

The party for the last finisher was really good .
Great event put Rev 3 and I will recommend this event over eagleman any time.
Congrats to all the finishers it was tough day on the 1 /2

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iank wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:

I loved running through campus. I am biased, however, because we ran by Wawa where many a late night post-drinking night "ended," old campus class buildings where I napped, and two dorms I stayed in during my 4 years at school. That's pretty cool.

Hold on, we ran by the Wawa? Good thing I didn't know that or I would have had an even worse run split!

Is it outside assistance to go shopping during a race? Whatever they're selling is equally available to anyone (as long as they have money in their pocket).
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was not there, so can't make some more specific comments, but I do see some trends.

On the swim, sounds like it was a factor more of a combination of the weather night before with heavy rains and delayed start. Should they have known better? Perhaps. I am sure they will be more cognizant going forward. Rivers can be tricky.

For the transitions / traffic / buses - some is anticipated, others not so much. Sounds like more buses should have been available and some of the flow come race morning was different than they expected due to parking and congestion it created. It will be interesting to see how they adapt, as well as if their were any unplanned shortages (i.e. not all buses ordered showed up)

I don't mind the long sleeve shirts. I find them nice, even in the summer post race to provide some protection from the sun, as well as for me at least, post race I sometimes get chills as my body recovered from a hard day at the office. Food and beverage I think is something that can be better and maybe Rev3 should consider a food service tent, or renting out, but looking at say IM Mont Tremblant and the expo they had there last year, I think there was a Subway cart/stand and trying to think of any other beverage service, but most events, including WTC tend to be light in that area.

Sounds like the race had some challenges, and will be interesting to hear Charlies input (Congrats on the new son!!!) I am fairly confident that they will learn and dial it in, because they do care, do listen, and you can look to examples of their 1st year in Portland where a down pulled out last minute, they had to completely redo the race in a few weeks, and then look how the second year version turned out which was aces.

While it would be nice to have a scenic and historic race and run and bike through all of these great areas, the locality has a lot to do with that. Look at SopranoMan, and with all the historic and potential great areas to bike and run, most was relegated to New Jersey.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [kcb203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kcb203 wrote:
iank wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:

I loved running through campus. I am biased, however, because we ran by Wawa where many a late night post-drinking night "ended," old campus class buildings where I napped, and two dorms I stayed in during my 4 years at school. That's pretty cool.

Hold on, we ran by the Wawa? Good thing I didn't know that or I would have had an even worse run split!

Is it outside assistance to go shopping during a race? Whatever they're selling is equally available to anyone (as long as they have money in their pocket).

No outside assistance, since it's neutral support (as you said, as long as you can pay.) Now, if it's on part of an out-and-back, it's not OK to go in on the outbound, and then leave on the inbound. But that's why they put timing mats at the turnaround.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread has been entertaining. Even the people that said they had a great time acknowledge there were some horrible parts - I think that says a lot.

Conclusions.

1) Never race an event during its inaugural year. This is not the first inaugural Rev 3 event that has gone down in the history books as a complete mess. (Portland anyone? Florida anyone? etc.). I would never race events that are somewhat new or put on by new RDs etc. That isn't to say that Rev3 is completely at fault here for putting on half/half inaugural events. I understand these races are a pain to put on with a ton of details. All I am saying is Rev3 isn't known for putting on perfect inaugural events, so you should skip the first year to let the wrinkles play themselves out.
2) Rev3 has an issue with post-race food and water. I remember back a few years ago, I complained about it (the quality of the food was mediocre). I got poo pooed on this site with people saying I should be grateful to have anything. Um no. If you are paying a lot of money, I expect food that is comparable to the food layout that is available at local charity races that is half the price. I was shocked Rev3 had no fruit at the event and the rest of the layout is blah. There are also plenty of people saying there is never enough water/liquid to drink post-race. I agree. Again, I come on here, and I get poo pooed saying as long as they have water fountains..its good. No. I went to one race (non-Rev3) and they had some kind of fancy BBQ - it was awful. Just have hamburgers, hotdogs, a pasta dish for the non-meat eaters, and fruit. Simple but good.
3) Rev3 has a problem with BOPers. Last weekend's event continues the streak of BOP finding the food is gone at Rev3 races and race aid stations empty, etc. There really is no excuse. The problem I think is that there simply isn't enough food at these races for fear of waste. It's not like early racers are going up and hoarding all of the food since they are limited to go up to one time, no? For goodness sake, families aren't even allowed to eat the food for free (plenty of other races allow families to eat - and to be frank...families deserve it for having to put up with sitting through the race - my entry fees are so high anyways my entire family should be entitled to food and drink).
4) Rev3 has a problem with timing. I do local charity races - results/splits/etc up are online the same day - almost all the time. Rev3 races? Nope.
5) There are not enough course marshals at Rev3 events. Don't think I need to say more. Sure USAT rules may say this or that, but can we all admit that there simply aren't enough marshals?
6) Race mornings at Rev3 can be a cluster for many people. I think the problem with this one is the locations these events are stationed at are reaching their limits with crowd numbers. Show up late to many of these events and it is a complete mess. Oh by the way..."late" is like 5:35AM. Yeah.

Rev3 does a fine job with many of the races, but it is concerning that there are certain issues that are not getting fixed despite constant assurances (after problems arise) that they will be fixed.

The honeymoon period is over. These races need to continue keeping people's interests or else attendance will start to fall and the situation only gets worse as cash flow slows. For me the price is too high to really jump in with both feet. I don't see the value vs. other races, but I think 75% of triathlons are charging way too much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i'll personally help you with workouts, if you want, if you don't mind this being a learning exercise for everybody. you and i and all the other really back of the pack swimmers, let's agree to move you all way, way up in the field. if you're game, i'm game, and we'll do this as a group. maybe this swim leg yank is a negative we can turn into a positive.

This is an extremely generous offer. I'm skeptical that it would actually be of benefit to most of of us true swim slugs - those that have at various times put in the effort with little to show for it, but I'd love to see the process.

Madashell, you really should take Slowman up on this.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [meuf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
meuf wrote:
This was both my first Rev 3 and my first point to point.

after today's total clusterfuck I will NEVER do a point to point again.

I was in the last swim wave, did not even get ON a shuttle until T1 was supposed to be closed. They started the race before we got off the bus and unbeknownst to us were on an accelerated course - so after rushing to set up T1 had no real swim warm up.

Glad I did not wear a wetsuit - and yes the current was tough - plus being in the last swim wave, saw many people pulled from the water which also meant dealing with the wake from police boats.

And twice kayaks came right in front of me (no I was not far off course or anything at this point) and I had to swim around them the second time he was ON the second Oly turn buoy which meant I had to go around him as well - not a good feeling when you are putting out your slowest swim time ever due to currents.

And then they not only took 6 hours to get our bags back to the finish they brought the HIM bags before the OLY bags - gee that makes sense.

So I left VA more than 2 hours after planned which meant horrid traffic the whole way - literally JUST got home (NYC)

I never want to drive in VA again
I never want to do a P2P race again

will see how Rev3 is in Florida but not feeling so great about them right now....

You'll be happy with Florida, really nice bike course. I can't speak to the swim b/c it was cancelled (not even close to feasible thanks to sandy). But volunteers were great last year - all the retirees handing out waterbottles on the bike course - they cheered everytime they had a clean exchange. Good Fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [Cervelo Apple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You left out the six flipping hours to get T1 gear to finish. That is my deal breaker. Absolutely unacceptable
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should have just had lunch like I did :0) I went there after lunch and no wait at all

Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It wasn't possible to leave if your keys were in your dry clothes bag because you had no other place to leave them...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup. It caused me to get home to my wife, two kids and a crying baby four hours later than expected. After a long weekend away, she needed the down time. So it had a rippling affect on others as well. I am so happy they weren't sitting there with me in that heat. Those poor people had it worse than we did.

Maybe Charlie will offer a big discount as a gesture of good will to a future Rev3 event for all those racers who had a bad experience? I was contemplating Rev3 Florida, but have some reservations now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
madashell wrote:
It wasn't possible to leave if your keys were in your dry clothes bag because you had no other place to leave them...

Why would you bring your keys with you to T1 rather than leave them in your T2 spot with your run gear?

Remember that triathlon is also about logistics of execution. Before, during an after a race. Things might get lost going from T1 to T2. Something small might fall out of your bag. Leave keys, wallet, phone in T2 if given the opportunity. You wouldnt check your keys when flying right? You keep them where you can get to you JUST IN CASE your bag gets lost...
Last edited by: noofus: Jun 25, 13 7:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bmanners I'm just replying ingeneral to this thread.

One big complaint I'm seeing is the swim. I'm not sure what the cutoff was or if it was changed and actually I don't care much about that. C'mon people, at what point do we ask ourselves if a 3 discipline sport is our thing? it seems like many events are plagued with canceled swims for fears of backlash or injury. Not everyone is entitled to race tri. It's selfish when someone enters the water relying on a wetsuit to finish the swim. By selfish I am referring to the danger or anguish imposed on the rescue support, other swimmers, and their own loved ones. Try a relay or a duathlon or something that won't have such a high risk of your death. Just my opinion. Respond privately if you have an issue so this won't be a hijack.

As for rev3. I'm pretty confident tbey will fix it. They are well aware that they have to make it worth your money and satisfaction. At least they are listening. Wtc wouldn't give a crap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

you need to spend at least 6000 yards a week in the pool, bare bare minimum, over the next month, and really closer to 10,000 yards a week. i'll personally help you with workouts, if you want, if you don't mind this being a learning exercise for everybody. you and i and all the other really back of the pack swimmers, let's agree to move you all way, way up in the field. if you're game, i'm game, and we'll do this as a group. maybe this swim leg yank is a negative we can turn into a positive.

This is a beautiful thing. I hope she takes you up on this offer. I'd like to tag along if she does!!! A few years ago I was DQ'd at Eagleman for exceeding the swim cutoff by 4 minutes(nonwetsuit swim). I've done a few races since then but I'm afraid you'd say I wasn't prepared for that race. I don't want to be in that situation in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
madashell wrote:

Why would you bring your keys with you to T1 rather than leave them in your T2 spot with your run gear?

Wow, mind blown. This never even dawned in me.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [rev3tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i spectated this time around. my husband raced. it was the first rev3 experience for both of us. a few items that i noticed that will definitely need to be fixed if this race is going to be successful. (disclosure: i haven't read the entire thread, so i'm sure plenty of these have already been discussed).

- this really should be an in water swim start after the water is deep enough to swim. that swim start was the strangest thing i have ever seen. when the pros are just walking for minutes, there's a problem.

-i thought i was imagining things when i saw racers coming out of t1 being asked to stop and wait for a minute so that traffic could go. i cannot believe this happened. i have never seen anything like it in any race. i'm not sure if this would have been a risk if T1 had been laid out like it was supposed to, but this is unacceptable.

-i stood for much of the day on the stretch of road just outside of t2. it was a complete and total cluster. within one tiny space, you have the bike dismount, the ~ 5mile, 12 mile and finish line of the half, and the ~5mile and finish of the oly. it was a zoo. no one had any clue where they were going. I watched racer after racer run up to the spot and have to scream to find out where they should go. the winner of the oly had to run through a crowd of people on the street to try to find the finish line, some ran into the bike in entrance thinking it was the finish line. I had to call in my own teammate and point her in the direction of the finish line of the half. she was standing in the street asking where she should go. i would highly recommend retooling the course so that you don't have this much happening in one small spot. Also, there need to be clear, large signs, as well as coned pathways showing people where to go (ex: olympic runners and Half Revs completing 2 loops, directed to the finish and a separate shoot for halfrevs needing to go on their second loop)

-from a spectators perspective, for a race that bills itself as family friendly, this really felt exactly the opposite for me. it was a hike to get back to the shuttle pick up area after the swim. I had myself, my baby, all the junk that comes along with having a kid out there for a few hours and the stuff my husband needed me to take back (stuff that wouldn't fit in his small dry clothes and swim to bike bag). my biggest gripe, though, was the food and shelter situation. once back in the t2/finish area there is really no place to go to get food for your family. again, if you're going to bill yourself as a family friendly race there needs to be access to food...either provided by you or not. i would have settled for a food truck. something. you're stuck on campus with no real options.

-the announcer. i'm not trying to attack the guy. i'm sure he's nice, but there is a difference between being charismatic and being rude. i think he went over the line a few times. the one that really annoyed me was when he was announcing that the post race food was only for racers. i believe the quote was something along the lines of "if you wanted food, you should have packed a snack." Seriously? it's an early race. many spectators were out in the pouring rain early on. we've shuttled from t1 to t2. we're hungry and THAT is what he says? i get that the food was only for racers, but he could have stated that without sounding like a jerk. this was just ONE example of the several times i heard him be pushy and condescending. there were a few times that i heard him call out people inappropriately as well. just ease up a little, guy. more announcing...a little less 'tude. (for the record: i had packed food and was fine.)

despite all this, when i asked my husband what his perception was, he thought it was mostly fine. fortunately, he wasn't really impacted by some of the chaos that i saw. many teammates said the same thing. everyone noticed the swim issues, but the other stuff wasn't a huge deal for the racers that I was there to support.

if you REALLY want to earn two gold stars on the family friendly front, have a few port o johns reserved for spectators only. obviously, not a requirement, but it would be AWESOME to not have to take your kid (or yourself) into a hot, racer ravaged port o john..

the pros:
the discount on busch gardens tickets was great and our family enjoyed monday at the park. williamsburg, in general, was a lovely place to visit for this race.

the area is beautiful. i rode a little of the bike course the day before and enjoyed it. the beach is also awesome. i hope this area can work as a swim site because it's a great little beach.

it was great as a spectator to be able to see your racers so many times in the t2/finish area. i hope that this can be re-engineered a bit, though, to ease some of the course confusion.

parking. we had no issue with parking at t2 in the morning.

the family finish is really, really nice. again, this was our first rev experience. to see racers be able to run in with their loved ones is a great experience.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR IMPENDING DELIVERY!!!!!

http://www.hooslisa.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
number114 wrote:
noofus wrote:
madashell wrote:

Surely u jest as a nationally renowned pharmacist like yourself would know this :0)
I still say I was impressed with the race and thought it was handled in a efficient manner. When problems arose so did the Rev 3 staff to the occasion. On the other guys WTC post not caring. They do but do not answer every thread because of the double edged sword it produces. WTC does lurk and does listen and act upon when necessary :0)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My friend got his flip flops lost/stolen at T1. He checked the truck and T2 bags and couldnt find it. If anyone find a pair of size 12 brown Reefs please let me know.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bmanners wrote:
number114 wrote:
noofus wrote:
madashell wrote:

Surely u jest as a nationally renowned pharmacist like yourself would know this :0)
I still say I was impressed with the race and thought it was handled in a efficient manner. When problems arose so did the Rev 3 staff to the occasion. On the other guys WTC post not caring. They do but do not answer every thread because of the double edged sword it produces. WTC does lurk and does listen and act upon when necessary :0)

I have to say I didnt experience ANY of the problems that others are posting about here.

Packet pickup was a breeze. The expo wasnt anything terribly special, but after having done more races than I can count, I really dont care about all the things to buy. Sure I spend some money on things at the expo but I really dont need anything there.

I got to T2 at 4:45am, dropped off my T2 stuff, went to the bus. Got right on and got whisked away to T1. Having done a two transition race once before I knew it was important to get to the bus pickup place as early as possible. I guess if you got there late, you might have gotten stuck. But really thats on you, knowing you had to take a bus and there would be lines. Get there early.

T1 was well organized, the bike mechanics were awesome for pumping our tires for us. Got everything set up, ready to go despite the rain. Dropped my dry bag into my designated bin and went to the beach.

Swim was long for me. I am a 38-40 minute half-iron swimmer (I am not fast by any means) and it took me 53 minutes. I was stunned when I looked at my 910. The current was really tough. Perhaps they could have swapped the timing mats and let us swim down-river instead. That might have helped, but that isnt really a complaint on my part.

One thing I did notice was a number of people cutting the swim course. There were many people that I saw that turned at the oly bouy instead of going all the way out to the red bouy. The red *was* hard to see, a brighter color might have helped there. So yea I saw people cut the course and I dont know if it was purposeful or simply an accident.

The change to the entrance to T1 - I have NO idea why people are so worked up over this. There were people directing us to the right place anyway, so even if you missed the announcements someone still was there to tell you where to go.

No complaints at all on the bike course. There were a good number of aid stations (though I did not need to make use of them). The cops were all awesome at directing traffic and everything was well marked. Hazards were well marked and had volunteers standing there to warn us of them.

On the run course I was pleased at the spacing of the aid stations for the most part. I would like to have seen an aid station at the top of the hill at the turn-around but it wasnt enough to get upset over. And since I knew I would have to go about 2 miles without an aid station on the second loop I was perfectly prepared mentally to gut that out. I was kinda hoping the run course would be a little more scenic than a double-double-out-n-back but really by the end of the race I didnt care much for scenery. I was hurting enough that I just wanted to be done.

Post-race food was just fine. I rarely want to eat after a big effort like that, at least not within the first few hours of finishing. I grabbed some of the pasta and meatballs just to get some calories. No complaints really. Perhaps next time have some fresh fruit available (there is nothing like having cold watermelon after a race).

I half-noticed the T1 bags arrived after I finished so I can see that is a legitimate complaint since there would have been many people done and ready to leave by this point had they done the Oly. I wasnt planning on leaving for a while anyway as I was waiting for others to finish so I didnt really take notice of it.

I had a great day and a great race. I thought it was well organized. This was my first Rev3 experience and I will most definitely do more Rev3 events. All the major complaints others are talking about really barely registered as minor irritations for me, if at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg - constructive criticism [hooslisa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are my observations as a racer.

1. The swim - a lot of confusion because of the shallow start, but not a big deal. It's one level of decision making you have to do to ensure a good swim. The current was bad. I'm normally a 30 minute half IM swimmer. I was 46 minutes at Williamsburg. The race needed to have a contingency for the current. I really felt for the BOP swimmers in that mess.

2. The bike: I felt the course was well marked and marshalled. I had no issues at intersections, etc. Were there bumps on the course? Yes there were but they weren't horrible.

3. The run. No issues with the course. My big deal was the placement of water stations. They really needed one on the top of the big hill - it was about a mile run to the next station AFTER the hill.

Overall logistics - I had no issues with the buses since I showed up early. My girlfriend volunteered at the finish and noticed a lot more:
- no food or drink for the volunteers at the finish line. She spent the morning unloading drinks, medals, etc. It's tough enough to get volunteers for events. Not feeding them or giving them drinks on a hot day is bush league.
- Need food and beverage services for the spectators. A good way to integrate the race into the community is to invite some of the local schools and organizations to use the race as a fundraiser by selling drinks and other packaged snacks.
- pre-position the water, Gatorade, and medals at the finish line the day before. Asking volunteers to hump a couple tons of water and medals is a bit much to ask when using a forklift the night before would have cut down on the work considerably.
- need to have chairs for athletes at the finish line. Eagleman, and Savageman have them. The athletes sit down, someone hands them water and a towel while they are given a once over by the nurse, etc. After staggering in on the run, I was caught in the throng of people watching the awards ceremony.
Quote Reply

Prev Next