Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Experience with Peroneus Quartus Muscle / Ankle Instability??
Quote | Reply
Anyone have experience with this "extra tendon/muscle"? It is basically an accessory attachment to the lateral aspect of the calcaneus. It follows the peroneus longus and brevis as they travel posterior to the lateral malleolus. The deal is that it causes ankle instability and trauma over time to the peroneus longus and brevis tendons and the ankle in general.

Anyone had surgery etc. ??
Last edited by: blackadder: Jun 6, 13 9:22
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with Peroneus Quartus Muscle / Ankle Instability?? [blackadder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never removed/repaird one since a relatively uncommon finding to begin with, then would have to have pathology, and then unresponsive to conservative care and so on. Mostly a literature/academic problem, but I'll bump for you in case someone here has actually had an issue with a Quartus and had surgery.

edit: just wanted to let you know I love your screen name!

Last edited by: rroof: Jun 6, 13 14:03
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with Peroneus Quartus Muscle / Ankle Instability?? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx. Yea I am the proud owner of the "extra" tissue. Pretty small percentage of people are supposed to have it and then I imagine a smaller percentage participate in Triathlon and also have problems.

The Doctor didn't push surgery but definitely let me know if it ever did happen , he wanted to do it....lol. Probably interesting surgery or at least something different for him to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with Peroneus Quartus Muscle / Ankle Instability?? [blackadder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@blackadder:

Did you ever get surgery? I have an accessory peroneal quartus tendon and gives me chronic pain almost 2x a year for the past 5 years. I think I’m done with conservative measures and ready for surgery. I’m just worried about post op and if there was any weakening in the ankle due to one less tendon. Any feedback would be helpful since it’s a rare issue.
Quote Reply