Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any tips on placing Garmin quick release mount on bike? I am going to play around with placement, figured I would get a tip to jump start.
thanks

i dont have any thing running in-between my pads yet, Thinking about the torpedo? Again love any tips recommendations on hydration. I have a single gorilla behind the saddle
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [quangtt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SHIV Comp sz M, but with Ultegra Di2, FSA SLK crankset, Sitero, and Zipp 808

[/url]

-------------------------------
Wife says "Too Many Bikes"
I disagree :-))
Last edited by: landho: Jun 4, 13 6:19
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good option for the Shiv! Raced this set-up yesterday and it was rock solid. I also carried a 1x xlab Co2, xlab speed chuck inflator and 4 gels with room to spare inside the bag. The extra length velcro that comes with this bag fits securely around Cafe Latex cannister- no duct tape/electrial tape grime to clean afterwards!

D

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [rivaryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting setup. Can you tell me where you got the on / off valve at? That is exactly what i need for my setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dannyh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's part of the Camelbak Hydrolink system.

http://shop.camelbak.com/...onversion-kit/d/1174
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [rivaryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2012 Shiv Comp Rival, what is the best bang for the buck upgrade outside of wheels? Thinking about new bars but not sure if that is necessarily the best way to go? Anyone have a view?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [changums] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not know what your goals are makes it a bit difficult. You could consider some easy / low cost upgrades:
  1. A good fit
  2. Continental GP4000s tires (23 or 25mm)
  3. Latex tubes
  4. Better saddle to fit your needs
  5. BTA Setup (lots of recent talk of interconnecting the BTA and Fuelseloge to have a larger single source of hydration)
  6. Gorilla cage / bottle setup mounded to rear of seat

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dannyh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6. I may go for a more aggressive fit eventually, and a new bar to go with it. Trying to lose a little weight mostly (not me, the bike)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [changums] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Latex tubes cheap, reliable and almost free speed.

Just a little warning loosing weight will get expensive and there will be little to no resale value for the parts you take off the rival... As my Shiv / Tri was built from the frame up using parts of interest to me I easily got it to 16.75lbs (without hydration but w / Zipp 808's).

Areas you could consider saving weight are:
  1. Basebar / AB (lots out there to choose from to remove 1/3 - 1lb?)
  2. Lighter wheels (i share a set of Blackset Race from my road bike ~ $600 new) work well
  3. Crank (i bought a new Sram Exogram ~ $275 ebay)
  4. Cables (which i didn't implement) - are about 30% heavier than a typical road bike due to the long housing runs so you get a little better ROI when using an expensive lightweight system. Check fairwheelbikes for a comparison they did of different brand cabling weights for a single road bike. Then add 30% for our Shiv's. My total weight for stock brake cables, housings and noddles was 130 grams.
Hope this helps.
Last edited by: dannyh: Jun 4, 13 11:22
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [bujayman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am using a profile design HC "torpedo" / aero bottle mount on my stock aero bars and am having a hard time placing a garmin mount.

If i put it behind the bottle, i can't see it without sitting up. If i put it in front using a aero bar mount, i can't get the bottle out. I had planned on trying to mount it on top of the aero mount, but that won't work either.

Suggestions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried mounting it on the bottle itself with longer o rings or daisy-chaining the kit ones together? This is what i have done to my 40ounce BTA setup and had no issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bujayman wrote:
I am using a profile design HC "torpedo" / aero bottle mount on my stock aero bars and am having a hard time placing a garmin mount.

If i put it behind the bottle, i can't see it without sitting up. If i put it in front using a aero bar mount, i can't get the bottle out. I had planned on trying to mount it on top of the aero mount, but that won't work either.

Suggestions?

I'm using the XLab torpedo mount and recently added the XLab computer mount that attaches to the torpedo mount. The computer mount puts my Garmin a little bit closer to me than I would like it to be, but it's better than having my Garmin obscured partially by the torpedo mount. And I like that I didn't have to unscrew the steerer cap to install the computer mount.
Quote Reply
Rear derailleur cable housing [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can I ask a quick gear housing question? I've switched to a drop stem and need longer gear cables. Brake and FD housings are no problem but....it looks like the rear derailleur was somehow set up with two sections of housing. Is that right? Or is it a single housing from shifter to the RD? And...if so is there a grommet or something to fill in the space at the port next to the dropout? Sorry if it's been asked before, couldn't quite get thru the whole thread :)

Joe
Quote Reply
Re: Rear derailleur cable housing [fastskiguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fastskiguy wrote:
Can I ask a quick gear housing question? I've switched to a drop stem and need longer gear cables. Brake and FD housings are no problem but....it looks like the rear derailleur was somehow set up with two sections of housing. Is that right? Or is it a single housing from shifter to the RD? And...if so is there a grommet or something to fill in the space at the port next to the dropout? Sorry if it's been asked before, couldn't quite get thru the whole thread :)

Joe

It is one continuous piece of housing.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear derailleur cable housing [Philosoraptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, that makes perfect sense. I'm not sure what was going on with the two pieces I removed....but one continuous housing sounds good to me. Thanks :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait a sec....one piece? This is what I took off.....a short section that fit nicely into a little metal ferule

And here's what I've got if I go "one piece"....kinda a biggish gaping hole. I'd rather go full length....but is that really right?

Thanks again :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of things to note.

There is a split rubber grommet that plugs that hole. We have an S-Works built in Australia and a Comp that was built up in the UK. one of them has it, the other doesn't.
Cannot get photos as yet as they are in storage.

The other thing to be wary of is the cable length. I own a large and the cable length is currently 2260mm. Big problem is that the standard Shimano inner wire is less than that -
I had to get Tandem cables which took me two bike shops to locate.

Coxy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fastskiguy wrote:
Wait a sec....one piece? This is what I took off.....a short section that fit nicely into a little metal ferule

And here's what I've got if I go "one piece"....kinda a biggish gaping hole. I'd rather go full length....but is that really right?

Definitely one piece with my build. As Coxy said, there is a split rubber piece that goes in the hole.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear derailleur cable housing [Philosoraptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, we've got this triple checked, it's a continuous piece :) I wonder what the heck was up with the original setup? I dug up the old housing and it looked like it "just ended" under the bottom bracket and the cable ran w/o housing until it reached the port with that nice little metal ferule. The bike shifted "OK" but never great before, it might be a whole lot better now.

Quote Reply
Garmin 910xt mount with torpedo [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi I just wanted to know how you are fixing your garmin 910 when you have a torpedo bottle on a shiv?

Thanks,

Vince
Quote Reply
Frame Size [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, I am 179cm (5'10" - 5'11") tall and based on the specialized pdf M or L frame size fits to me.

http://www.specialized.com/.../SHIVStack-Reach.pdf

I think M should fits to me but I read that even S should be better. Many pros ride smaller bikes?

I am mainly focus on HIM (this season best 4:18 with bike 2:15 on Venge 56" with aerobars) and used to have agressive fit :)

Please advise
Last edited by: [SK]peter: Jun 11, 13 4:41
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910xt mount with torpedo [vnet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1, how do you mount your garmin edge 500/800 if you're running a torpedo mount bottle? I figure a bta bottle and bladder is pretty much all one would need for HIM. Would love to find out a way to also mount edge with this hydration setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dmounts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking of going away from the blank carbon too. Like the green!

Here's mine all prepped for my first race of the year (sprint distance).

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910xt mount with torpedo [ajminn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
get the x-lab computer mount. it works just fine. I ended up turning my torpedo mount around so that bottle faces me but thats just personal preference. here is a link to another thread about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got a brand new Shiv TT module and having an issue working out which of the many bolts are the rear dropout adjusters. I looked in the manual but it doesn't mention anything about them.

Can someone tell me what they look like/take a photo?

Appreciate any help.
Quote Reply

Prev Next