Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ruster Sports Armoured Hen House
Quote | Reply
Anyone out there got a Ruster Sports Armoured Hen House. Was going to buy the regular Hen House. Is the extra $125 worth the wheels and some sheets of plastic in the case?
Quote Reply
Re: Ruster Sports Armoured Hen House [triyourbest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't know eggsactly what you were talking about until I cocka-googled it.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Ruster Sports Armoured Hen House [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Soft bike airline case....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
holy crap, post of the month!

pattersonpaul wrote:

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:

bravo, well done
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will need to take a look at it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:

I see what you did there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on the same boat. Looking into buying this for a race I have next month. I've been looking around for reviews but haven't found too many.... Have you? if so, what's your feeling on this? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Ruster Sports Armoured Hen House [howtough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have bouncing emails back and forth with the company this morning trying to put together a team deal. 2-3wk lead time on the Armored case as they are made to order. The regular case is always stocked and ready to ship. I do like the idea of wheels and ability to strap the wheel bag to the top especially if you have another bag to wheel around. The little bit of extra protection is always a plus. They also say that the bags have a lifetime warranty and can repair damage if it happens. Shipping is a bit steep at $64 for regular FedEx.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the regular Hen House. At the time, that was the only option last year. TJ did show me the improved one, but I've had no issues with my soft case.

The update has plastic walls on the wheels and other reinforcements. The main bag now has wheels, which I think would be a plus.

I traveled with most of my thing stuffed into the main bag, and everything was just heavy and cumbersome. Its not impossible. I stand at 6', but I had to pull up a bit, instead of letting it hang down or it would start to drag.

If money is an option, I'd go regular. If you have, couldn't curt, but would add to the weight of the bag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a very good idea... would you mind if I joined your team?? LOL (i'm kind of serious though).

Are u also looking to travel within the next few weeks?
Quote Reply
Re: Ruster Sports Armoured Hen House [gohmdoree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just pulled the trigger on the regular case as I need it for a trip to Spain in 2wks. Still working on a team deal though with logos. Looks like a nice bag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did you like the Hen House? I am planning to buy one soon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone confirmed you are able to easily get these bags on the plane without paying bike fees or oversize/weight fees?

And what about putting your carbon bikes in one of these? In the video, TJ says he never had anything damaged.

----------------------------------------------------------------
my strava
Last edited by: lschmidt: Mar 13, 13 10:42
Quote Reply
Re: Ruster Sports Armoured Hen House [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have been using the original HH for a year. 8 round trips including international and Hawaii. Zero bike fees. Zero damage. Zero hassle. Well, okay, lugging around the bags is slightly more work than pulling a hard shell case on wheels. Well engineered and manufactured. I highly recommend it. Saved me over $2k in the last year.
Quote Reply
Re: Ruster Sports Armoured Hen House [brentl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brentl wrote:
Have been using the original HH for a year. 8 round trips including international and Hawaii. Zero bike fees. Zero damage. Zero hassle. Well, okay, lugging around the bags is slightly more work than pulling a hard shell case on wheels. Well engineered and manufactured. I highly recommend it. Saved me over $2k in the last year.

Zero bike fees, but with the frame bag and the wheel bag, you now have 2 pieces of checked luggage separate from any actual checked luggage you may have.

I have nothing against TJ or his product, but I think all of this talk of "my bike flies for free!" is a little misleading. For most airlines, you are still going to have to pay for 1 or 2 checked bags, and on some airlines, like Virgin for example, two checked bags at $25 each is the same as paying their reasonable $50 bike fee in the first place.

Still, I'm well aware it will most likely come out much cheaper than pretty much any other bike bag in the long run.
Quote Reply
Re: Ruster Sports Armoured Hen House [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been traveling with the Hen House for a couple years now with great success! It is by far the most economical method of travel out there! Tgarson, you are correct you must check two pieces of luggage, but that still equates to a significant savings on most airlines. For example, Delta charges a $200 bike fee each way! I check my Hen House (a total of 2 bags) for $60 each way. In the end I save a total of $280 on one trip, the bag is halfway paid for. Now lets take a less extreme example, I fly United rather frequently. United charges a more reasonable $100 bike fee and I check my Hen House for $60. At the end of the trip I save a total of $80. In this case it would take a bit longer to receive a return on your investment, but the fact of the matter is there is a ROI! What other bike case on the market can say they offer a return on your investment?

I agree, maybe the whole "bikes fly free" thing is a little misleading, but my impression was that they were referring to the fact the the bike itself does fly for "free" because it avoids bike fees. It is generally assumed that you will be checking bags when traveling.

I have been more than pleased with my case over the years. I am excited to see TJ has developed and armored version of the case! The standard case has been great, but I would LOVE those wheels on the frame bag!!! I highly recommend the Hen House! My dollar savings over the past two years has reached nearly $3000!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ruster Sports Armoured Hen House [EDresden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies. I am totally sold. Now I have to decide if I want to give an extra $130 for the armored version or not!
Quote Reply
Re: Ruster Sports Armoured Hen House [birgi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Birgi it is totally worth the extra protection/piece of mind, not to mention the convenience of the wheels and the two bags attach together. When I am ready to upgrade, the Armored Hen House will by mine (assuming there is not a new version by then). I inquired about the Armored Hen House a while back and Ruster (Ethan is his name I believe) mentioned they manufacture the cases to order and they operate on a 2-3 week lead time. Keep that in mind should you decide to go with the armored version. Shoot them a contact form on their site and get their take. I received a very prompt response the last time I wrote in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot!!! You are right, and with the lifetime warranty this should only be a one-time extra.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you had any issues/concerns about putting expensive race wheels in the soft sided bags?

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Re: Ruster Sports Armoured Hen House [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're going to use a soft sided bag, you should plan on being very persistant through security to bring it on the plane. If you're uncomfortable with that, then you might as well get a hard wheel case. The hard wheel case isn't oversized, so it costs the same as any other checked bag.

If you do choose the soft case here are a few tips:

1- Be confident, carry the bag through TSA tell them that usually the wheels just get hand checked. This has only ever added 5-10 minutes to my trip through security and is usually the least of your worries when carrying wheels on.
2- Get to the gate early, speak with the attendant at the gate entrance and ask if you can board a little early so that there is room to put your bag in the first class closet. I've gotten lucky a few times and they have let me board with zone 1 despite what my ticket says. If they insist that the bag won't fit tell them that it has fit before, and you know that it will. If they continue to insist, ask them if you can at least go check and then find a place for it.
3- Where to put them if they let you get it on the plane: First try the first class closet, you'll need to be able to hang it as if it were a suit bag or something similar. Second if it's a large plane the overhead may actually work, try there next though I think it's less safe there. Third, ask the attendant if you can put it behind the last row of first class seats, this has been my best bet. It may also fit behind the last row of economy seating.
4- Who to be forceful with and who to be as nice as possible to. TSA - Be confident and act like you know what you are doing, they will check your bags and likely be more interested in why you have the wheels than telling you that you can't carry them on. Airline employee at ticket counter - If you're checking another bag, and trying to carry your wheels with you be persistant with the ticket counter person they may ask you if you're sure it will fit just tell them yes and get out of there. The attendant at the gate- be extremely nice to this person, if you get to board early there is a 15x higher likely hood that you will find a place for your wheels. The attendants on the plane - at this point you've been through 5-6 different levels of security and people, they are usually more than willing to help you find a place for them. If they start to doubt that there is a place for them, suggest one of the places that I mentioned and they may come around.

My N=1 experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Ruster Sports Armoured Hen House [Cyronman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumping up and old thread, looking to purchase this case.

I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I am travelling in a few weeks with Delta Airlines and am planning to bring back my bicycle, along with personal items. I will be in the other country for 3 months, so have quite a bit of personal items to bring along. With the Armoured Hen House, that will make it 3 checked baggages and the fees for a third baggage is $200 (the first 2 are free). I am also allowed one carry-on bag and a personal item on top of the 2 free checked bags, although my personal luggage just slightly exceeds the allowed dimensions for the carry-on bag (45 linear inches).

Any ideas on what my options are? I'm currently thinking:
1. Not to bring wheels, and purchase at location. So I have the Hen House main body (checked), personal luggage (checked), and day pack (carry on).
2. Try to squeeze my personal items into the Hen House and a larger backpack. I will have the Hen House main body (checked), Hen House wheel bag (checked), backpack (carry-on) and day pack (carry on).

Also, is the Armoured Hen House wheel bag compactable, or is it fully rigid?

Help is greatly appreciated! This whole thing is making my head spin...
Quote Reply
Re: Ruster Sports Armoured Hen House [kkcy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can fit a lot in the hen house even after your bike is inside, while it might excseed the weight limit it's less than the size penalty. I think I could take 4 weeks of clothes lacked tight
Quote Reply

Prev Next