Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Almonds, nuts, and pistachios
Quote | Reply
I just started eating lots of nuts with dried fruit.. hmm I like it..

I see the back it says the nuts are fattening... I heard this is good fat? still, eating 20+ grams of fat cant be good right? Tell me...
Quote Reply
Re: Almonds, nuts, and pistachios [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eat away... good healthy fats will not make you fat but processed carbs and sugars will.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be adviced that these are VERY high density calories foods.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm totally addicted to Tamari flavoured almonds.

Less so with no salt pistachios.

Walnuts I eat coz they're good for the heart, I think.

But, if you can get Tamari flavouerd almonds, you'll never go back to plain.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: Almonds, nuts, and pistachios [eigner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eigner wrote:
Be adviced that these are VERY high density calories foods.

This. Be cautious, especially if snacking when very hungry. It takes more to fill you up, and it's easy to pack in a bunch of extra calories.

Example:
1 cup apricots - 75 calories.
1 cup dried apricots - 320 calories.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Last edited by: Devlin: May 29, 13 14:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
125mph wrote:

I see the back it says the nuts are fattening... I heard this is good fat? still, eating 20+ grams of fat cant be good right? Tell me...

It really depends on which nuts you're talking about. The primary fats in almonds for instance, are omega-6 fatty acids. Most of us already get way more of those than we need. Walnuts on the other hand have decent amounts of omega-3 fatty acids as do macadamias which have very little omgea-6 but a good deal of mono unsaturated fatty acids instead. IMHO the Almond Council has done a wonderful job convincing us how wonderfully healthy almonds are. I will admit to loving to eat them but do so in moderation. Walnuts go in my oatmeal every morning along with blue and black berries that I pick myself.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Almonds, nuts, and pistachios [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to mention if you ate a cup of dried apricots you would be on the toilet for a dramatic movement. Ditto for a cup of almonds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
High fat diet = more efficient user of fat for energy = better endurance athlete (in most cases). Body still prefers CHO for workouts, but the higher percentage of fat you burn at higher intensity relative to carbohydrate, the better off you'll be at events lasting longer than an hour or two.

EAT MORE NUTS!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Almonds, nuts, and pistachios [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 You also need to be wary of how the nuts are prepared. Obvious, but 'raw' nuts would be a better choice than those roasted in oil & salted (although they taste sooo good). After I broke my addiction to the smoked almonds, I actually like the raw ones better now. I taste the nut and not the oil.
Quote Reply
Re: Almonds, nuts, and pistachios [paul.rud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You said, "I taste the nut."

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
paul.rud wrote:
+1 You also need to be wary of how the nuts are prepared. Obvious, but 'raw' nuts would be a better choice than those roasted in oil & salted (although they taste sooo good). After I broke my addiction to the smoked almonds, I actually like the raw ones better now. I taste the nut and not the oil.

The green wasabi ones were what got me. When I went through almost an entire can in a few hours, I figured it was time to not buy them any more.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same thoughts; I'd really limit the intake of prepared/coated/salted nuts. Raw or dry roasted, mixed with (refrigerated)oatmeal, yoghurt or salad, works for me. Tasty, good fat, filling combo. No massive calories, because you don't eat that many grams of it when mixed.
Quote Reply
Re: Almonds, nuts, and pistachios [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
125mph wrote:

It really depends on which nuts you're talking about. The primary fats in almonds for instance, are omega-6 fatty acids. Most of us already get way more of those than we need. Walnuts on the other hand have decent amounts of omega-3 fatty acids as do macadamias which have very little omgea-6 but a good deal of mono unsaturated fatty acids instead. IMHO the Almond Council has done a wonderful job convincing us how wonderfully healthy almonds are. I will admit to loving to eat them but do so in moderation. Walnuts go in my oatmeal every morning along with blue and black berries that I pick myself.

YMMV,

Hugh

+1

i think walnuts have the highest omega-3/omega-6 ratio of any nuts. I basically get 20g of freshly-ground flax in the morning with 500mg of omega-3 fish oil, 200 kcal worth of walnuts in the day, and another 500mg of fish oil in the evening.

yes, almond and flax are calorically dense, but i truly believe that many of us buy too much into the whole "fat is bad" catchphrase. In any case, i find that the walnuts really help with satiety, not to mention that omega-3 is an essential fatty acid (i.e., your body can't make it from glucose).

edit: apparently the ratio of omega-3/omega-6 in walnuts is only 0.24:1, and while this is indeed the highest for nuts (almonds has no omega 3), the ratio for flax is 4.5:1
Last edited by: echappist: May 29, 13 16:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raw cashews > *
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
125mph wrote:

Roasted= BAD
Raw= Good
Dried Fruit= BAD

You like the dried fruit because it's sweet and taste like cant. It's about as healthy. Roasting nuts destroys their nutrition. The high heat just makes them almost empty calories. Sorry to rain on the parade. And Raw almonds, cashews, walnuts, and pecans are better then pistachios. Try that and get back to us on how you like to eat healthy nuts. :) They are not nearly as tasty, way better for you.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Last edited by: Bryancd: May 29, 13 16:56
Quote Reply
Re: Almonds, nuts, and pistachios [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
125mph wrote:

Roasted= BAD
Raw= Good
Dried Fruit= BAD

You like the dried fruit because it's sweet and taste like cant. It's about as healthy. Roasting nuts destroys their nutrition. The high heat just makes them almost empty calories. Sorry to rain on the parade. And Raw almonds, cashews, walnuts, and pecans are better then pistachios. Try that and get back to us on how you like to eat healthy nuts. :) They are not nearly as tasty, way better for you.

what this guy said. most nuts are roasted in oil , where this oil is damaged into something toxic (polymerized fat, transfat, etc)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fewer calories in almonds than are listed on the nutrition label
http://www.npr.org/...e-for-fewer-calories
Quote Reply
Re: Almonds, nuts, and pistachios [bradl016] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone else here soak and rinse their nuts prior to eating? I started doing that and it really cuts down own the tannin taste, but question whether it adds to the health benefits of raw nuts (better nutrient absorption, easier digestibility).

Plus the wife likes cleaner nuts......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
paul.rud wrote:

The green wasabi ones were what got me. When I went through almost an entire can in a few hours, I figured it was time to not buy them any more.

John

Oh hell yes. These are straight from the devil!

Be sure to soak your raw almonds. It breaks the skin down and you get more of the good stuff. Digestion is better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trader Joe's has the small "Just a Handful" packages of raw almonds, I keep them in my desk at work when in need of a snack. I also have either raw walnuts or raw pecans with breakfast each morning.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Almonds, nuts, and pistachios [ncwildh2o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ncwildh2o wrote:
Anyone else here soak and rinse their nuts prior to eating?

I just wash my hands but to each their own, I guess..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ieat pistachios. About the same amount of calories as almonds but a little less fat and more carbs. But if you get the ones in the shell you have to eat them individually so you cant just chow down a handfull.
Quote Reply
Re: Almonds, nuts, and pistachios [Goobdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goobdog wrote:
Eat away... good healthy fats will not make you fat but processed carbs and sugars will.

Hunh? Excess calories (read those not in immediate requirement), regardless of makeup, will be stored as fat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From most everything I've read, debating that raw nuts are healthier than roasted nuts is equivalent to debating that cooked tomatoes are healthier than raw tomatoes: both factually true, but also largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of our diets.

Eating nuts of any kind (or tomatoes of any kind) is a lot healthier than most other "snack foods," and just as healthy as almost anything else we can eat.

I'd hate for someone who didn't like raw nuts to go back to eating chips because of a mistaken belief that roasted nuts are somehow unhealthy/non-nutritious.
Quote Reply
Re: Almonds, nuts, and pistachios [TriBiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBiker wrote:
Goobdog wrote:

Hunh? Excess calories (read those not in immediate requirement), regardless of makeup, will be stored as fat.

to a first order approximation, you are correct. but glucose will have a larger effect on the release of insulin, which affects overall metabolism

in other words, if you had to eat 100 kcal of fructose vs 100 kcal of a good fat, the fructose is going to cause more damage b/c insulin release is dependent on blood glucose levels
Quote Reply

Prev Next