Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [andrewblerner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try cutting it down a little at a time after trying it. Mine ended up at 14.5 inches from top of bladder and requires me to be low to drink.

Used talcum powder on the outside of the bladder so it slides in freely and doesn't get caught or twisted.

You should be able to get 23 oz into the bladder (med frame).

Use rare earth magnets to hold bite valve in place.

Replace bite valve with one from camelback. Maybe they fixed this on newer models.

No bottle cage required for Olympic distance and shorter. One cage zip tied between aero bars for longer - change out or fill up bladder at bottle stations.

Keep it simple and aero - don't add a lot of gadgets that increase drag.

Get good race wheels of course.

Have fun with it - take the time to get the feel of her, especially turns, downhill and climbs.

andrewblerner wrote:
Just got my Shiv fitted yesterday!!! Happy me.

Wondering at what length are people cutting their bladder straw/hose.

Any suggestions?
Place ment on the bike?
or any other tips for set up?
or tips on for new Shiv rider?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jesse@thr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool thanks for the tips!
Cutting down the tube very slowly, trying to figure out the length I like.

Great tip on the Cammelback mouth piece. Works loads better!

where are people placing their spares/tire fill method/patches/ on he road fix it kits? As far as I know the Fuel cell is not out yet. correct? Was thinking of tinkering in the lab aka my garage to come up with some thing. I heard a while ago a tennis ball container heated with a heat-gun can change it shape.

Any creative ways of of "fuel cell" like containers?

Garmin attachment points.- I'm running a torpedo so space is limited.

thanks
Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jesse@thr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trying to make my Shiv a bit faster.
Had my nosecone from a few months back.
Moulded a mount for the Bontrager Draft box (Trek) to fit, added some pin stripes to make it match.

Mounted my straw to be positioned ready for a drink & put on a Torhans aero straw housing.
I know its less aero than on the magnet horizontal...but I prefer it this way, handsfree function.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [campled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that looks really very good.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MattyElmore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I want to buy a Pro Frame, if I buy the carbon silver version I can remove the decals?
Thanks for any info
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, love the idea of the bontrager draft box. Was it easy to mount?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [K_Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
K_Man wrote:
Timsmu wrote:
I have had trouble with the bb causing a loud clicking noise! The shops took it out and re greased and placed back in. Now after 70 miles it is back but more mild. I am just annoyed with it.

For right now, I am going to use stock fsa cranks and upgrade later.

I was hearing a knocking sound everytime I pushed hard in my left crank arm. The mechanic at my lbs was able to determine that the fsa cranks were missing a two of three "balls" that are supposed to be inside them. He put the balls in and now the knocking sound is gone! He thinks the balls were just not put in during assembly for some reason.[/quote

I had the same problem. It started popping on the downstroke of the left crank arm after owning it for 2 months (february). Took it to LBS and they re-greased it. Started happening again in May and took it back. They replaced the bottom bracket bearings this time. Cost me about $90. Hopefully that will be the end of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [andrewblerner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewblerner wrote:
Hey, love the idea of the bontrager draft box. Was it easy to mount?

+1
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [StuckJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im in the market for a 2012 Large Red Shiv frame if anyone knows of one for sale.
Last edited by: Taylorman: May 22, 13 8:04
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [bujayman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is everyone doing for a cadence/speed sensor, just mounting it on the side of the frame?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [bujayman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife usesa Garmin 910's for a head unit and relies on GPS for speed, however for cadence she uses the NiteRider Wireless Cadence Kit.
It is zip tied between the mounting bolts for the Di2 battery box (on the chain stays) and then has a button magnet on the peddle axle.

What would be cool is if we could utilize these bolts.

Its not apparent that the NiteRider is Ant+ but if you goto this is ant you see that NiteRider are listed on their companies that se their technology.

HTH

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
campled wrote:
Trying to make my Shiv a bit faster.
Had my nosecone from a few months back.
Moulded a mount for the Bontrager Draft box (Trek) to fit, added some pin stripes to make it match.

Mounted my straw to be positioned ready for a drink & put on a Torhans aero straw housing.
I know its less aero than on the magnet horizontal...but I prefer it this way, handsfree function.

What computer mount is that?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jdirrrty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i used a profile aerobar computer mount for the garmin. for the trek draft box,i had to fabricate a shroud to fill the gap between the seattube and the draft box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
campled wrote:
i used a profile aerobar computer mount for the garmin. for the trek draft box,i had to fabricate a shroud to fill the gap between the seattube and the draft box.

Can we get a picture of the box mount that you fabricated and a close up of the finished product. I love this idea.....how did you fabricate the fix?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the idea too! And looks killer. Kinda wonder why Specialized is taking so long to release the fuel cell? I would guess getting it to pros in kona is half the selling/marketing you will ever have to do, with the amount of photos taken. Also got the water system built in, why not the flatfix? Just does not make sence to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The shroud is made from hi-impact plastic, didn't take a pic before I mounted it.
After I stuck the shroud to the box, painted it black.
Used 3M double adhesive to attach to frame, can be detached in anytime.
Used a hi tension nylon to secure draft box via seat post clamp just to be safe.
Stays on very secure & very useful having all my spare needs in there.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [gadzooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any luck with the extra cockpit set up pics? Would love to see some from various angles when you have the time!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [mile2424] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What the best way to get lower in front? I'm not running any spacers under the stem and the aerobars are as low as they can go. Is a dropped stem my best bet? Thanks :)

Joe
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [fastskiguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fastskiguy wrote:
What the best way to get lower in front? I'm not running any spacers under the stem and the aerobars are as low as they can go. Is a dropped stem my best bet? Thanks :)

Joe

I had to go for a different set of bars for that very same reason. If you want to stick with your bars you could try something like the 3T adjustable stem, angled all the way down.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Philosoraptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adjustable would give up a little in weight....but would make adjustments way way easier. Great idea. Might go with the Ritchey tho :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Green colorway pops! Took me a while to decide but got tired of looking at blank carbon bike which reminded me of one of those Chinese imitations.... not that there is anything wrong with that! :)

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dmounts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks great in green!

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MITaerobike wrote:
Looks great in green!

Mark

Thanks!

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do I order a spare / replacement bladder for the Shiv?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dmounts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking post-Quassy of going with the green as well.

Looks like you also sourced a Camelbak hose for your bladder?

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply

Prev Next